Where were ya Saints fans??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

There were quite a few saints supporters there, make no mistake about that. I was actually really surprised to see how many there were. My only gripe, if you could call it a gripe is the noise (or lack thereof) we tend to make in a blockbuster game. There is nothing like hearing the roof being lifted at the Dome by a teams supporters. Last years Rnd 22 game against Essendon is a perfect example. The dome was rocking that night. :D

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:13am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:You can also add in there that I am a Club Volunteer and have assisted the Club by way of donating my time to help the Club.

So don't label me and others a "scared rabbit" or a "sook" for not attending an away game :roll:
This thread is not about you and how you support the club, it's about the amount of noise our supporters make when they are at a game. It is like going to watch a game of lawn bowls sometimes. And it is not just at the dome, it is anywhere, we act like frightened animals when a game is close or when the oppostion is in front. Like someone else said in this thread, we only make a noise when we are challenging, i.e. coming from behind which probably is because we are so used to coming from behind. Seriously, think about it.
To me, it wasn't the noise comment, but being labeled a "piss weak supporter" and to get to the game and being a sook..., because I only attend home matches

I am saying that I support the Club in other ways and attend all our home games.

SO SERIOUSLY, WHY DON'T YOU THINK ABOUT IT :roll:
Ok StFid just stop right there. Don't take it personally. This is not an attack on how you personally support the club. You are clearly red, whit and black all over. End of story. The point I am personally trying to make is that the StKilda people that attend our games do not generally make a lot of noise especially when it is needed. If you do a search on my posts, you will find I have raised this several times over the last few years and I am not the only one who thinks the same. I can go right back to the 2005 prelim. We were in front, we were making some good noise, Saints people were pretty happy with themselves as it looked like we were headed for a GF but then Sydney challenged, the crowd went dull until they hit the front and then dead silence. StKilda people went home and had a big sook.

Now as I said, and again I am not the only one to think this but we are most vocal when we are challenging from behind. We are not good as the hunted. It is the loser mentallity that is unfortunately our culture. We are not comfortable with current postion we are in. We are just waiting to lose. We don't think it is possible that we could be winners.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:12am, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yeah gotta say I agree with you AOK

Im guilty to of a grizzle at a missed mark or sloppy pass or reckless tackle..but..I'll mutter it to myself or to the person next to me....some feel the need to bellow it at 120db. perhaps to prove how much football knowledge they have?

I save my bellowing for the positive stuff, sledging the opposition or the men in green thanks very much :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:
saint66au wrote:but..I'll mutter it to myself or to the person next to me....some feel the need to bellow it at 120db. perhaps to prove how much football knowledge they have?

I save my bellowing for the positive stuff, sledging the opposition or the men in green thanks very much :-)
Exactly saint66au.

I repeat, not once did I hear a blue SUPPORTER bag his own player ... NOT ONCE!
Where did you end up sitting/standing?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think the problem is that some people have set ridiculously high expectations cos we win every week

Every single tackle has to stick, every mark taken, every set shot nailed...and when they arent, or God forbid the opoosition play well, scorn is heaped down on the team

Id hate some of these people to be my boss...its like perfection is what theyve paid their money to see..and anything less is to be criticised.

Sad really
Last edited by saint66au on Sat 13 Jun 2009 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:10am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep with you AOK, mentioned it the last few weeks myself.

It's one of two options, deafening silence or bagging the players.

However a big shout out to the older couple towards the back, level three and about the middle, who at least tried to get a St Kilda chant happening...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:The poor fools have no self belief or confidence them selves, so they are living thru a bunch of kids we call footballers. No life for some... that's sad.

Did all you amateur Freud's ever consider that , with St Kilda having been unsuccessful for so long , their supporters cringe every time they make a mistake fearing that anytime soon the bubble will burst and sometime after that the losing StKilda will rear it's head...

You can never get comfortable supporting StKilda.......

It all goes pear shaped when the mistakes start creeping in......

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:10am, edited 1 time in total.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

mick13 wrote:
saint75 wrote:Have to say that even when the ground is full of Saints supporters, they don't tend to make a lot of noise. For example, our reservered seats are on level 2 and apart from myself (who is a self confessed fog horn), there are only a handful of other supporters that really make any noise. I whinge and whine about it to family (with seats around us) every week. Drives me insane!!! Do you know how hard it is to make enough noise to compensate for 50+ other people in your area?

I usually come home hoarse. Saints supporters really need to pick up their game........
Indeed.

It's weird. The powerhouse teams (Carl, Ess, Coll) all have loud supporters, but the lesser sides such as us, Roos, Melb and the Dogs are quiet as s***.

Not sure why.

Don't have to be arrogant gimps to be loud.

We make noise when we're making a come back,that seems to be it...
Geelong supporters have a girly squeal , it's at a higher pitch compared to the roar from other teams supporters.

We were up in the nose bleeds and it was a complete mix of supporters, so no chance of getting a chant going.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

OK, the amount of Saints fans at the game was clearly unacceptable.

Compare it to the week prior, against North, also an away game, and I'd be fairly confident there were more Saints there than Friday night!

Sure, the ratio of Saints vs North fans was much higher, but I doubt there were 15,000 Saints fans at the Carlton game (the number I estimate was at the North game - ie half the crowd!).

It is pathetic, crap, and embarassing for a team 11 zip.

Too many soft pussie fans that like the soft option of watching on Channel 7.

Maybe half our supporter base are aged 70+ and night games are too late for their old bodies???

Last night, there appeared to me a lot more 30 to 40 year old Carlton fans than Saints fans - blame the lousy 80's era from us vs their bought flags!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:OK, the amount of Saints fans at the game was clearly unacceptable.

Compare it to the week prior, against North, also an away game, and I'd be fairly confident there were more Saints there than Friday night!

Sure, the ratio of Saints vs North fans was much higher, but I doubt there were 15,000 Saints fans at the Carlton game (the number I estimate was at the North game - ie half the crowd!).

Maybe half our supporter base are aged 70+ and night games are too late for their old bodies???

Last night, there appeared to me a lot more 30 to 40 year old Carlton fans than Saints fans - blame the lousy 80's era from us vs their bought flags!
Sounds like you've done a bit of a demographic survey, saintspremiers.

This board told me there were no tickets available for the game, so I didn't go. As there were only 50,000 there there were obviously tickets available. Maybe people posting here should get their facts straight before posting.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:OK, the amount of Saints fans at the game was clearly unacceptable.

Sounds like you've done a bit of a demographic survey, saintspremiers.

This board told me there were no tickets available for the game, so I didn't go. As there were only 50,000 there there were obviously tickets available. Maybe people posting here should get their facts straight before posting.
Maybe posters should do their own research...blaming others for apathy is quite poor imho........

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I had a bit of a big night/send off type situation and couldn't make it, but reckon I do my bit for the club too.

Sorry I only have an 11 game membership and won't pay extra dollars for all away games as sometimes things are a bit tight.

More than happy to go to them all if someone else wants to chip in for me...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think the club needs to get on the front foot with this.
We've simply lost our culture,now we are just one homogenized mass of theatre attending toffs.

I think the club need to try and reintroduce an animal cage section,one or two bays. They will have auditions down at the club for a few weeks to see whether you're animalistic enough to be allowed into the cage. It's time we brought back some of the old characters to the stands,and got angry again. What happened to the angry roar?!! :evil:

We're quickly becoming Sydney clones,and that is UNACCEPTABLE in so many ways!

Bring back the Lockett era
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Maybe posters should do their own research...blaming others for apathy is quite poor imho........
Where would you do your research bobmurray?
On the AFL website? Been there.
On the Ticketmaster website? Been there.
On Saintsational?

All said no general admission tickets available. What is your definition of apathy?

By the way I think your avatar says a lot.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Maybe posters should do their own research...blaming others for apathy is quite poor imho........
Where would you do your research bobmurray?
On the AFL website? Been there.
On the Ticketmaster website? Been there.
On Saintsational?

All said no general admission tickets available. What is your definition of apathy?

By the way I think your avatar says a lot.
I think your posts say more... :lol:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I had a bit of a big night/send off type situation and couldn't make it, but reckon I do my bit for the club too.

Sorry I only have an 11 game membership and won't pay extra dollars for all away games as sometimes things are a bit tight.

More than happy to go to them all if someone else wants to chip in for me...

exactly right mate...

to be called sooks by "ace" is totally unwarranted...

I support the Club by other means and that money goes directly into the Club and not to the opposition..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
realdeal
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:
saint66au wrote:but..I'll mutter it to myself or to the person next to me....some feel the need to bellow it at 120db. perhaps to prove how much football knowledge they have?

Exactly saint66au.

I repeat, not once did I hear a blue SUPPORTER bag his own player ... NOT ONCE!
You weren't standing near me then.

If someone does something stupid or lazy i'll express my frustration, but im not a he's crap or dump him kinda supporter tho.
Sticking up for my team against the opp supporters however continues regardless. 8-)

im also the first to clap and shout encouragement when its deserved. This i may add is in short supply.
I stand on the wing as i prefer that to sitting in the same spot every week and the reserved seating folk are way too quiet save for a few.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:08am, edited 1 time in total.

realdeal
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:
jonesy wrote: We've simply lost our culture,now we are just one homogenized mass of theatre attending toffs.
This is just what the AFL doctor ordered. They don't want any passion from the fans.

Bernard Shakey is precisely correct.
The ONLY reason I attended was cos I didn't have to go to work and could get there early (5pm). If I had been working I would've definitely watched it from the comfort of my lounge chair. Even while standing in line waiting for the gates to open, I was worried about getting in. I had to break the rules and swipe my sons card in/out.

From all angles we were told we wouldn't get in. Over 50,000 proved there was a chance we wouldn't. Who in their right mind would bother go all the way to the Docklands, when there was a chance they wouldn't get in?

The game should've been at the MCG. I don't blame the supporters with >half a brain for not turning up.

And how bloody cold was it! geez.

MCG would've worked well too. Gee i hope they move the Geelong game to the 'G'. They'd be crazy not to.... Opps, i forgot they're not! :roll: