MASSIVE cull ahead for the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

awesome_days
Club Player

In order to look at who stays etc you look at the whole list in the entirety. We need to get back to 35 for the first list lodgement, 34 if we want Cousins in the PSD.

Firstly, you have the certainties - these are the first 15 or so players who are picked each week:
Hughton, Reiwoldt, Hayes, Goddard, SFisher, Dal Santo, Ball, Montagna, Milne, King, Blake, Schneider, Gilbert, Koschitzke, Gram

Then, you have the other players, who on paper are in your best 22:
R Clarke, X Clarke, Dempster, Baker, Maguire, Ray, MGardiner*

* - recently resigned

Recruits currently serving a 4 year apprentiship, including rookies to be promoted:
McEvoy, Steven, Connors, Armitage, Howard, Allen, Geary, Eddy

The balance of players will form the depth and the deilstings/retirements^, of these players, 6 need to go to get to 35, 8 if we want 4 draftees plus a PSD:
McQualter, Attard, Fiora, Gwilt, LFisher, Rix, CGardiner, Ferguson, Birss, Harvey^, Gherig^

Goodbye to Harvey, Gherig, Rix, L Fisher, Ferguson, CGardiner, Birss, Fiora

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

doristhesaint wrote:Must be a large cull. But dont bring cousins in.C what M.Gardiner has given us expect the same from cousins
silly comparison.

cousins = 1 x premiership
5 x B&F
1 x Brownlow
5 x AA

the guys is a different league to most players. let alone a neerdowell like gardner.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

te fat is we need to de-list 5 guts. rix being the only certainty.
we can probably rookie list young elijay. still 3 guys that need to go - 4 if we get cousins.

maguire, gwilty, bakes, x, fizz, l fisher, birss, c gardner would all be concerned.
3 or 4 out of that 8 will be culled.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:te fat is we need to de-list 5 guts. rix being the only certainty.
we can probably rookie list young elijay. still 3 guys that need to go - 4 if we get cousins.

maguire, gwilty, bakes, x, fizz, l fisher, birss, c gardner would all be concerned.
I dont think it will be 5 players on the main list. It will be 5 including the rookies or maybe 6.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:the fact is we need to de-list 5 guys. rix being the only certainty.

i reckon RL's logic will (should) be that we all know the draft is a bit of a lottery. lets use all our 6 picks and if 2 of those 6 end up good players we have done well - great result. we just cant afford to have an unproductive draft this time around. 2 decent kids would be great. seems most clubs are using the same logic given the precious guardianship over parting with draft picks during trade time....

so if we end up with 2 good kids, ray and cuz - will be a great summer.

hotdish
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:They won't bring in 6 kids. They won't use their later picks. they'll probably get 4, plus Cousins plus Ray is 6 in.

Harvey
Gehrig
Rix
L Fisher
McQual
Ferguson
McQualter is on the rookie list. Doesn't count as a delisted player from the senior list.

you also have forgotten rookie promotions. Thus the 6 you have counted, Eddy and possibly one of Attard or McQualter. T

Thus you're looking at 7 delisted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:
groupie1 wrote:They won't bring in 6 kids. They won't use their later picks. they'll probably get 4, plus Cousins plus Ray is 6 in.

Harvey
Gehrig
Rix
L Fisher
McQual
Ferguson
McQualter is on the rookie list. Doesn't count as a delisted player from the senior list.

you also have forgotten rookie promotions. Thus the 6 you have counted, Eddy and possibly one of Attard or McQualter. T

Thus you're looking at 7 delisted.
Not a hope in hell. 4 delisted at the most plus 2 rookies.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If Lyon does mean that we will take 6 kids in the National Draft, then we won't use a PSD pick and won't elevate anyone other than Eddy, so these guys would get the chop

1 - Harvey
2 - Gehrig
3 - Rix
4 - C.Gardiner
5 - Ferguson
6 - Birss :evil:
7 - Fiora
8 - Maguire/Baker/Connors

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If Lyon does mean that we will take 6 kids in the National Draft, then we won't use a PSD pick and won't elevate anyone other than Eddy, so these guys would get the chop

1 - Harvey
2 - Gehrig
3 - Rix
4 - C.Gardiner
5 - Ferguson
6 - Birss :evil:
7 - Fiora
8 - Maguire/Baker/Connors
Firstly 4 of those last 5 named will not be delisted and maybe even Gardiner will not. We will have only 4 draft picks at the most maybe only 3.

Saints94
SS Life Member

mick13 wrote:Fiora's still contracted.

Leigh Fisher, def gone. I would imagine
L.Fisher is still contracted with the club

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:te fat is we need to de-list 5 guts. rix being the only certainty.

I dont think it will be 5 players on the main list. It will be 5 including the rookies or maybe 6.
I assume you are talking from some sort of inside knowledge. What you say makes perfect sense to me.

Despite what Lyon said, I don't think we are going to use picks 79 or 95, and we probably won't use pick 63 either. apart from the very occasional smokey like Goldsack, there is no evidence that any club has gotten good value from the bottom third of the draft in the past 5-6 years.

If we are going to use those lower picks, I imagine that we might delist a few borderline players - the likes of Gwilt, Birss, C Gardiner, Geary and L Fisher (if either of the last two are actually out of contract) and possibly McQualter and Attard (as an alternative to elevating them) and then encourage them to nominate for the draft to see if they stack up against the new names. (And accept the risk that someone else might snap one of these guys up ahead of us.) We'd could also encourage some of them to apply for the PSD, in case we don't get Cousins.

This raises a few questions I'd be interested to know the answer to.

First of all, can McQualter be renewed as a rookie for another year? If so, he could then be elevated at the start of 2009 to replace Dempster.

Second, if a player is under contract, can they be somehow de-elevated to the rookie list? (If they could, it's what I'd want to do with Howard and Geary for 2009.)

Anyway, I guess we are going to find out what will really happen soon enough.[/list]

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I assume you are talking from some sort of inside knowledge. What you say makes perfect sense to me.

Despite what Lyon said, I don't think we are going to use picks 79 or 95, and we probably won't use pick 63 either. apart from the very occasional smokey like Goldsack, there is no evidence that any club has gotten good value from the bottom third of the draft in the past 5-6 years.

If we are going to use those lower picks, I imagine that we might delist a few borderline players - the likes of Gwilt, Birss, C Gardiner, Geary and L Fisher (if either of the last two are actually out of contract) and possibly McQualter and Attard (as an alternative to elevating them) and then encourage them to nominate for the draft to see if they stack up against the new names. (And accept the risk that someone else might snap one of these guys up ahead of us.) We'd could also encourage some of them to apply for the PSD, in case we don't get Cousins.

This raises a few questions I'd be interested to know the answer to.

First of all, can McQualter be renewed as a rookie for another year? If so, he could then be elevated at the start of 2009 to replace Dempster.

Second, if a player is under contract, can they be somehow de-elevated to the rookie list? (If they could, it's what I'd want to do with Howard and Geary for 2009.)

Anyway, I guess we are going to find out what will really happen soon enough.[/list]
Firstly no inside knowledge just like said its common sense we are not going to use those later picks. The answers to the questions are Mini can be a rookie again as long as he is under 23 before the start of next year and second question is we would have to delist and then pick them up as a rookie as we did with Moni this year. The problem with that is anyone could draft them but I doubt very much anyone ele would want those 2.

hotdish
Club Player

Re: MASSIVE cull ahead for the saints

hotdish wrote:Ross Lyon was quoted today saying we plan to have 6 picks at the national draft.

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that if we want to do this, whilst taking into consideration we've recruited Ray, still have interest in Cousins
and that at least two of Eddy, Attard and McQualter are likely to be promoted, that we need to clear out alot of the list.

Thus this must be a signal that the following are GONE

Gehrig
Harvey
Rix
Ferguson
Birss
Fiora

Who else?
NOT A BAD POST AT ALL, just missed C Gardiner.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

And Attard.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:And Attard.
Attard was a rookie

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!