Is King the best recycled Ruckman we've had recently?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BTW did we not try that tactic in 1971 - with no effect
I was at that game and my memory does not reflect what you posted.

In fact the complete opposite occured.

Just before 3 quarter time Hawthorn player Porter struck Big Carl in the head as he was running through the centre of the ground, a kick behind play.
It was the only time I can ever revall Carl being affected by a punch - he actually staggered after the blow was struck. Up to that point he had been the most influential big man on the ground and he was not the same player in the last quarter.

So to use that game as an example of 'knocking a bloke out' to win the GF is, IMHO, wrong. In fact it seemed to work for Hawthorn. We had them on toast at that point and tehy cut loose in teh last quarter (primarily Keddie on Colling).

The example you should have used, again IMHO, is the Hawthorn v Geelong GF when Brereton was knocked out at the first bounce. No question Geelong tried to 'unsettle' Hawthorn who absorbed the punishemnt and still won.

saintbob
SS Life Member

They are worse numbers than Monkorst and Capuano produced.....[/quote]

Monkhusrt actually wasn't too bad, added a bit of agression around the middle of the ground and his tap work was quite effective.

Capuano was finished when we got him, wouldn't have caught a cold if it was injected into him let alone catch the footy.

Kingy is streets ahead of any recycled ruckman we have recruited, only one to get close to being as effective would be Gardi but he has been struck down by injuries far too much.