Jeff White?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Where's the similarity with White?
What an unusual question.

Unless you've blocked it out of your memory, a lot of people said that King was "over the hill" (likewise Gardiner) before they joined the club. And the same thing is happening with White.

Fast forward 10 months, and a lot of people are saying that both King and Gardiner have something substianial to offer. It's amazing how people change their perspective as soon as someone dons the jersey.

Right now, Didak, Kerr and Cousins are scumbags to the majority of posters on here. If one signs, watch them welcomed as a player who's gone through "a bit of a tough trot" but with a "massive upside".

It's pretty simple.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:you have got to be kidding that you dont want him
White would offer us more around the ground- a more agile ruckmen like Blake but with 6cm on top of Blake
Interesting stats Batnoe. Haven't seen White play at all this year. Was totally basing my opinion on his age and the fact that he's playing seconds for the bottom club. His stats suggest that he would certainly be a better option than Rix or Gardiner.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Unless you've blocked it out of your memory, a lot of people said that King was "over the hill" (likewise Gardiner) before they joined the club. And the same thing is happening with White.

Fast forward 10 months, and a lot of people are saying that both King and Gardiner have something substianial to offer. It's amazing how people change their perspective as soon as someone dons the jersey.

Right now, Didak, Kerr and Cousins are scumbags to the majority of posters on here. If one signs, watch them welcomed as a player who's gone through "a bit of a tough trot" but with a "massive upside".

It's pretty simple.

rubbish
i rate dids, kerr and cuz. and i despise white.

dids is leading the AFL in kicks FFS. kerr and cuz are proven champs.

white is a show pony who cant play anymore. has not won a contested ball since 1997. i dont want him.

HarveysDeciple

We would have got white in the mid 90's if the Dees hadn't breached the salary cap.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Personally I think Gardiner has given nothing in his handful of games with us.

And King has given marginally more.

If White is in the same boat at them, then he's hardly going to really improve us, is he?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Firstly, people miss the point about Clarke... he was only recruited a sa back up becozAckland quit.

Secondly, he had to play becoz of injuries. Otherwise he would have been nothing more than a back-up. Had we lost Kosi, and MG was also out... what othe roption would we have had?

Thirdly, apart from fitness, Rix is no better a back up than MG or White IMO.

Fourthly, Mc Evoy is still very raw.

So given the choice... I'd cut Rix, Keep MG (unless he is so injured that it looks unlikely he'll be a regular contributor)... and look at White.

Don't forget that this has really been MG first (almost) full year back.

So hwo knows what the plan is?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That would make 3 ruckman that cannot take a contested mark and can only play in one spot. Id rather Blake.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:That would make 3 ruckman that cannot take a contested mark and can only play in one spot. Id rather Blake.
And Rix offers...?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:That would make 3 ruckman that cannot take a contested mark and can only play in one spot. Id rather Blake.
And Rix offers...?
Make it 4 then.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I hope they don't recruit White,he is well past his best which is a pity but it's the reality.

I wouldn't mind if they cleaned out some of our Ruck stocks,the ones that don't measure up or are permanently injured, and gave some others a try.Surely within the SANFL or the WAFL or QAFL there is someone mature age who could be a backup ruckman.......

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Paul Harding - was he the short guy with the mo that went to the eagles?

he was really bloody good.
I was really cut when he left. Really cut. Thought he was a good ruckman, but he didn't do a lot at West Coast.
Other than win a premiership! Very sorry to see him go.

As far as White is concerned, blaaaaahhhhhh!
Last edited by perfectionist on Wed 20 Aug 2008 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

the shadow
Club Player

Have you all forgotten the legendary "King of the Mountain" Greg DAX? We recruited him back in the Doc's reign, on th basis that he won Wycheproof's King of the Mountain race 3 years in a row. It turned out that he was very good at carrying bags of wheat up a steep incline, but very poor at ruckwork and football in general. No senior games, delisted after one year.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:if you are going to pick up cast offs from other teams you always make sure its from teams better then you i wouldnt touch Melb's rejects they are wooden spooners

spot on....this bloke can't get a game with the wooded spooners....he only got to play in the geelong game at the last moment when jamar didn't come up.............the dees prefer paul johnson and jamar to white and neither of the first two would get a game with us, ffs......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

this bloke would be a thousand percent better bet.....

'Wallace confirms that Tigers will chase Warnock

Lyall Johnson | August 20, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace yesterday flagged the club's interest in pursuing Fremantle giant Robert Warnock.

The 206-centimetre, 21-year-old Docker, who was drafted in 2005 from Sandringham under 18s but has played only 21 games, is out of contract this season and has indicated he wants to return home.

The Tigers, with Troy Simmonds playing a lone hand in the ruck while Adam Pattison and former Bomber Tristan Cartledge develop, are in desperate need of another tall centre-square option.

Fremantle is trying to hold Warnock, with coach Mark Harvey yesterday lashing out at Melbourne for making a presentation to the player last week. "I thought it was an interesting tactic," Harvey said. "I don't think he (Warnock) has been affected by what appears to be an ambush."

Wallace said yesterday he was certain the Tigers would talk to Warnock about the possibility of coming to Punt Road.

"He's a big boy, he's a big lad. And he's a Melbourne-based boy who looks clearly like he's coming back to Melbourne," Wallace said. "Of course, from a recruiting perspective, we'd be in the marketplace.

"My job at this time of the year is to concentrate on the last two games of the season and let the recruiting boys do what they need to do. I don't like to get clouded between the two at this stage of the year but we probably are looking for another ruckman, so he'd be on our radar."

Warnock visited Demon headquarters last Thursday after accepting an invitation from former Dockers coach Chris Connolly, now Melbourne football operations manager.

But when Warnock arrived, Connolly, Melbourne coach Dean Bailey and a group of players clad in suits were there to greet him, armed with a powerpoint presentation in their bid to entice him to the club.

The in-demand Warnock, whose brother plays at Melbourne, could command about $1 million over the next three years on the open market, with a number of Victorian clubs expected to bid for his services.

The Demons, who are almost certain to finish last, could snare Warnock without trading for him via the pre-season draft.

Fremantle chief executive Steve Rosich is expected to talk with Warnock and his manager Colin Young over the coming weeks about a new deal.

Warnock, who had season-ending shoulder surgery after round 17, managed only nine games this year, spending most of the first half of the season battling for form in the WAFL.

"Robbie's a required player and in the end, that will be his decision about what he wants to do," Harvey said.
With AAP

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

The way I see it there was far more upside in us getting King at the end of 07 than there is in us getting White at the End of 08.
King had just completed a very successful finals campaign.
White has struggled to play in a bottom of the ladder side.
Our chance with White was done and dusted five years ago.
Regardless of whether MG is with us next year, he would cost more than MG and Rix combined, and still be the back up ruckman.

Seeya
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

To the people who refuse to consider any possibility of having him on the list...would it be that bad if he simply took Rix's spot as backup ruckman in the likely case that King and Gardiner are injured? As a number one ruckman you can expect 15 possessions and 20 hitouts from White as opposed to 3 possessions and 15 hitouts from Rix. We wouldn't be relying on White to win us a flag, but simply upgrading a current spot on the list.

McEvoy has a good footy brain and can take a grab, but struggles to win ruck contests in the VFL, does not have the tank for AFL footy nor the strength. He's an old-fashioned case of a ruckman who will need 3-4 seasons before he is a competent AFL player. We won't lose anything by having other options in the next couple of years.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:To the people who refuse to consider any possibility of having him on the list...would it be that bad if he simply took Rix's spot as backup ruckman in the likely case that King and Gardiner are injured? As a number one ruckman you can expect 15 possessions and 20 hitouts from White as opposed to 3 possessions and 15 hitouts from Rix. We wouldn't be relying on White to win us a flag, but simply upgrading a current spot on the list.

McEvoy has a good footy brain and can take a grab, but struggles to win ruck contests in the VFL, does not have the tank for AFL footy nor the strength. He's an old-fashioned case of a ruckman who will need 3-4 seasons before he is a competent AFL player. We won't lose anything by having other options in the next couple of years.
not sold on it MSG
i would rather run Blake and a green McEvoy if it all falls apart with the king/kosi combo at least then we would get some games into McEvoy , picking up White wouldnt help us at all imo Rix has more upside then a 32 yearold who cant cement himself in the woodenspoon winning laughing stock in melb

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:this bloke would be a thousand percent better bet.....

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace yesterday flagged the club's interest in pursuing Fremantle giant Robert Warnock.

The 206-centimetre, 21-year-old Docker, who was drafted in 2005 from Sandringham under 18s but has played only 21 games, is out of contract this season and has indicated he wants to return home.

The Tigers, with Troy Simmonds playing a lone hand in the ruck while Adam Pattison and former Bomber Tristan Cartledge develop, are in desperate need of another tall centre-square option.

Fremantle is trying to hold Warnock, with coach Mark Harvey yesterday lashing out at Melbourne for making a presentation to the player last week. "I thought it was an interesting tactic," Harvey said. "I don't think he (Warnock) has been affected by what appears to be an ambush."

Wallace said yesterday he was certain the Tigers would talk to Warnock about the possibility of coming to Punt Road.

"He's a big boy, he's a big lad. And he's a Melbourne-based boy who looks clearly like he's coming back to Melbourne," Wallace said. "Of course, from a recruiting perspective, we'd be in the marketplace.

"My job at this time of the year is to concentrate on the last two games of the season and let the recruiting boys do what they need to do. I don't like to get clouded between the two at this stage of the year but we probably are looking for another ruckman, so he'd be on our radar."

Warnock visited Demon headquarters last Thursday after accepting an invitation from former Dockers coach Chris Connolly, now Melbourne football operations manager.

But when Warnock arrived, Connolly, Melbourne coach Dean Bailey and a group of players clad in suits were there to greet him, armed with a powerpoint presentation in their bid to entice him to the club.

The in-demand Warnock, whose brother plays at Melbourne, could command about $1 million over the next three years on the open market, with a number of Victorian clubs expected to bid for his services.

The Demons, who are almost certain to finish last, could snare Warnock without trading for him via the pre-season draft.

Fremantle chief executive Steve Rosich is expected to talk with Warnock and his manager Colin Young over the coming weeks about a new deal.

Warnock, who had season-ending shoulder surgery after round 17, managed only nine games this year, spending most of the first half of the season battling for form in the WAFL.

"Robbie's a required player and in the end, that will be his decision about what he wants to do," Harvey said.
With AAP

Agree 100%. Ten years younger with his career in front of him.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
stinger wrote:this bloke would be a thousand percent better bet.....

With AAP

Agree 100%. Ten years younger with his career in front of him.
but hardly worth $1m over three years his asking price is extreemly high for a bloke who has only played 21 games and of those games hasnt exactly set the world on fire .. he may turn out to be a gun but realistically thats alot of money to spend on someone who could turn out to be the next Barry Brooks

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

On 10 News tonight it was reported Carlton could be looking at him to cover their ruck shortage.

Ratten said that White wouldn't be a bad pick-up to help out Kruezer because "you can't send a boy to do a man's job"

Reckon Hackland was shaking in his boots after that comment.... :lol:

Also reported Ratten is eyeing Kerr "or another player" adding that the salary cap will accommodate at least another quality player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:To the people who refuse to consider any possibility of having him on the list...would it be that bad if he simply took Rix's spot as backup ruckman in the likely case that King and Gardiner are injured? As a number one ruckman you can expect 15 possessions and 20 hitouts from White as opposed to 3 possessions and 15 hitouts from Rix. We wouldn't be relying on White to win us a flag, but simply upgrading a current spot on the list.

So you want to get him to play in Rix spot. White is already at Sandy now. Let Sandy do their own recruiting.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
but hardly worth $1m over three years his asking price is extreemly high for a bloke who has only played 21 games and of those games hasnt exactly set the world on fire .. he may turn out to be a gun but realistically thats alot of money to spend on someone who could turn out to be the next Barry Brooks[/quote]

agree that $1m is over the odds. The article doesn't actually say whether or not Warnock's asking for that money or if that's just a journalist's estimate.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:agree that $1m is over the odds. The article doesn't actually say whether or not Warnock's asking for that money or if that's just a journalist's estimate.
How much were we going to fork out for Mark Blake?

That's just crazy money if Warnock is asking for it imo.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Warnock has several clubs keen on him

He will if he moves therefore be expensive in terms of draft picks and salary.

With King in ok form, and McEvoy taken with a low draft pick last year..is ruck still our greatest concern?

((Be interesting to know how our NSW Scholarship ruckman is shaping up????))

Or is it a classy mid (ie Kerr) and/or a key defender. Keeping our first two round picks could secure such types, but of coursethey will be a couple of seasons off.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vergs
Club Player

I think we've got enough experienced ruckman and back up on the list, not to mention two younger options. While I understand the view that if we simply replaced Rix with White then it would be an upgrade, i'd honestly prefer us to clear out Rix and bring a youngster onto our list who can serve us well into the future. If we see the ruck as a potential problem area then i'd prefer us to search for options that allows us to play Kosi more in the ruck and find other support for Riewoldt in the forward line. Thats where Kosi has played his best footy, and has arguably been more of a scoreboard threat in the ruck than he has when spending the majority of time in the forward 50.

Its always important to keep young talent filtering through, and even more so now because of the draft compromises for the Gold Coast team in the coming years. I think thats where our focus should be, making the most of the upcoming draft and trade period to set ourselves up for the next 5 - 10 years, not 1 - 2 years. I think this year has shown that we are far from being the benchmark and challenging for the flag. I dont think White can help our cause.