LYON is the dumbest and least inspiring coach in AFL….

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

At least some people dont like bringing up old posts to prove a point. people change like the wind on this site. If we lose next week it will be sack Lyon if we win he is the best coach since Jeans. If we lose our list management in the last 4 years was poor. If we win our recruiting is great.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I agree with all those who want Lyon sacked.

How dare he get us to the finals in his second year AND win a preseason in the same year.

I mean after all the great messiah couldn't do that until his fourth season as coach.

To get us to the finals flies in the face of most Lyon haters embracing mediocrity culture.

Who know he may even bring some success to the club.

Cabbages :roll: :roll:
I hate it when posters bring these types of posts back.....

What are we...12 and 9?......Its a see saw effect that only proves a point over a significant period of time.

...Maybe bring this back up after our success in the finals.....

Saints43
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

How dare he get us to the finals in his second year AND win a preseason in the same year.

I mean after all the great messiah couldn't do that until his fourth season as coach.

To get us to the finals flies in the face of most Lyon haters embracing mediocrity culture.

What are we...12 and 9?......Its a see saw effect that only proves a point over a significant period of time.

I was going to fish 'The Usual Suspects' post after the Collingwood game. But I wasn't small minded enough.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

I was going to fish 'The Usual Suspects' post after the Collingwood game. But I wasn't small minded enough.
oohh touched a nerve did I?

Seems like you have egg all over you face and get embarrassed when you are shown up :roll:

Why didn't you bring up the usual suspects thread when we lost. pewrfect timing for the Usual agenda driven clowns to vent their spleen at the coach and never ever blame the players.

Too bad too sad. You make dumb calls, dont expect any sympathy.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Or maybe you just realised your ridiculous initial "sack the coach" rants were simply cr@p?

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:At least some people dont like bringing up old posts to prove a point. people change like the wind on this site. If we lose next week it will be sack Lyon if we win he is the best coach since Jeans. If we lose our list management in the last 4 years was poor. If we win our recruiting is great.
Don't forget the umpires are cheats and the AFL wants us dead. :shock:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Why is RL always compared to GT?
Are you not one of the posters that hate GT being brought up?
Yep he's got us in the finals, congrats.
But where should we finish, is 7th acceptable or is it short of expectations?
He may bring success, I hope he does, as I have done with every coach I have seen, he just frustrates me more than most, and I honestly think we are underachieving. Days like today bring it home.
Nothing to do with GT in my book. A coach is a coach is a coach, just extract the most from the list.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Why is RL always compared to GT?
Are you not one of the posters that hate GT being brought up?
Yep he's got us in the finals, congrats.
But where should we finish, is 7th acceptable or is it short of expectations?
He may bring success, I hope he does, as I have done with every coach I have seen, he just frustrates me more than most, and I honestly think we are underachieving. Days like today bring it home.
Nothing to do with GT in my book. A coach is a coach is a coach, just extract the most from the list.
Agreed...

hate the GT knockers and hate the RL baggers...

the fact is we lost in the transition and that is what cost us...

I had respect for GT and have respect for RL...

please don't ask about presidents....

again we lost some transition in a coaching change and it was a change that was at a critical time...

bad timing...

and we seem to do that time and time again...

and the question why is the administration IMO

I just hope this one is a good one....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Saints43 wrote:I was going to fish 'The Usual Suspects' post after the Collingwood game. But I wasn't small minded enough.
Or maybe you just realised your ridiculous initial "sack the coach" rants were simply cr@p?
Try to make sense.. I don't think I've ever written a "sack the coach" rant. There's a search facility if you want to drag one back...

In fact I have been critical of him for:

Not getting the most out of our playing list which I think has been proven correct - and I still think there's more to come from some.

Not implementing set plays which is something that I have seen as a problem at our club for years and which I expected would be happening at the closed training sessions. But to watch the way Adelaide bring the ball out after a behind is scored compared to our "Max hands the ball to BJ who kicks it to Max 15 metres away in the pocket" routine is wearing thin.

PM someone who goes to games - they'll tell you.
Last edited by Saints43 on Mon 25 Aug 2008 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

oohh touched a nerve did I?

Seems like you have egg all over you face and get embarrassed when you are shown up :roll:

Why didn't you bring up the usual suspects thread when we lost. pewrfect timing for the Usual agenda driven clowns to vent their spleen at the coach and never ever blame the players.

Too bad too sad. You make dumb calls, dont expect any sympathy.
Er, becuase I wasn't small minded enough...
Learn to read.

Saints43
Club Player

For nearly two years we've had to sit through Teflon & Joffaboy cry tears of blood for RL because he didn't have the cattle, that he had to de-programme 38 blokes who only knew how to kick helicopters to GTrain & Hamill, was stuck with a list that had only drafted duds since 2001...

Well, now we're getting back to where we were when RL took over.

The structure/gameplan/style of play - wether it has changed or wether it's being executed better (rat's tossbag) - bears more resemblance to August 2006 than it does to April 2007. And if you two argue any differently then you are fools.

The team has improved slowly but surely (emphasis on 'slowly') under him but that is just making up the huge amount that the team went backwards when he took over. RL still has miles to go to be considered a success IMO.

With the resources he's had at his disposal so far this season making the finals would be the minimum pass mark I would have thought.

Our form remains patchy from week to week, quarter to quarter. The difference between our best and our worst - the single biggest criticism of this club - is as stark as ever. I don't know if it is all his fault but I do know that it's all his responsibility.

You two have lowered your expectations based on last years performance to the point where you were coming out with the usual "RL stuck it up the doubters" posts after the Port Adelaide win… seriously.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think the bumping of a post like this makes the bumper look far more foolish than than the bumpee.

According to the bumper, premierships are the only form of success. So to bump a post in order to make the bumpee look silly, is not only childish, but it's hypocritical and inconsistent.

I thought talking about 'the glory days' of prelim finals was embracing mediocrity? But now we're bumping threads because we're playing finals?

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I think the bumping of a post like this makes the bumper look far more foolish than than the bumpee.

According to the bumper, premierships are the only form of success. So to bump a post in order to make the bumpee look silly, is not only childish, but it's hypocritical and inconsistent.

I thought talking about 'the glory days' of prelim finals was embracing mediocrity? But now we're bumping threads because we're playing finals?
I thought you thought this was all just a bit of fun....?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I thought yesterday was probably Lyon's most persuasive victory. The Saints made a team above them on the ladder look entirely second rate. Seriously, the scoreline flattered Adelaide due to our innacuracy.

However,

To imply that there's some great virtue in making finals as a second year coach is either disingenuous or straight out ignorant. The poster above has been around long enough to assume it's not the latter.

Surely we can give Lyon credit without trolling?

And what's Jeans (the messiah) got to do with Lyon anyway? :lol:

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
JeffDunne

We won and we're getting better.

Life is good.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i think the forum should have a rule - and i think the same goes for girlfriends.

Nothing I said more than 7 days ago is admissable and is null and void in all arguments.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 25 Aug 2008 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:We won and we're getting better.

Life is good.
Spot on. And the club is humming along nicely, and our coach actually looks like he has settled into the role now. He is coaching his team now, and they have won 7 of their last 9 and in the finals. Life is good.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I think the bumping of a post like this makes the bumper look far more foolish than than the bumpee.

I generally do.

Does that mean I can't comment or post anymore?

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

I generally do.

Dunno... what do you reckon??

It probably just means you shouldn't get in a tangle over a bit of harmless jibing.... especially on such a fine day when all is well.

You don't mind a bit of bump/bumpee action yourself there either bloke....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: I thought yesterday was probably Lyon's most persuasive victory. The Saints made a team above them on the ladder look entirely second rate. Seriously, the scoreline flattered Adelaide due to our innacuracy.
However,
To imply that there's some great virtue in making finals as a second year coach is either disingenuous or straight out ignorant.
Didn't see yesterday's game, but am obviously pleased with the win.
However .....
the OP of this thread is about Lyon lacking inspiration as a coach.
He's quoted in 'The Age' this morning as saying after the game,
"What we spoke about was if we want to pay respect to Robert it really is about getting our performance right and clearly any emotion for Robert doesn't contribute to your ability to defend and attack and use the ball."

This goes to the heart of my doubts about Lyon. He seems to be devoid of passion. Like he's analysed the game within an inch of it's life and has taken all of the passion and emotion out of it. Hence a team that plays that way.
I'm pleased with the win and pleased to be playing finals, but I'm just not convinced about Lyon. It's as though he's reduced the game to a set of key deliverables that can be measured with kpi's and benchmarks. There's no space for flair and passion. He continues to fail to impress me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote: I thought yesterday was probably Lyon's most persuasive victory. The Saints made a team above them on the ladder look entirely second rate. Seriously, the scoreline flattered Adelaide due to our innacuracy.
However,
To imply that there's some great virtue in making finals as a second year coach is either disingenuous or straight out ignorant.
It's as though he's reduced the game to a set of key deliverables that can be measured with kpi's and benchmarks. There's no space for flair and passion. He continues to fail to impress me.
You mean like Neil Craig, the Adelaide Crows Coach who is generally considered by the footballing experts' to be a 'great coach'?

Totally focusses on the 'science' of the game and coaches accordingly.
His conversataions with the media make Lyon sound like Milney, but hey, because he's not coaching the Saints he's ok?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:

I generally do.

Dunno... what do you reckon??

It probably just means you shouldn't get in a tangle over a bit of harmless jibing.... especially on such a fine day when all is well.

You don't mind a bit of bump/bumpee action yourself there either bloke....
I have no issue with bumping threads to continue or review a discussion. It's a forum, that's what it's designed for.

As for being in a 'tangle'?? Perhaps you need read my post again. Hardly in a tangle.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
However,
Didn't see yesterday's game, but am obviously pleased with the win.
However .....
the OP of this thread is about Lyon lacking inspiration as a coach.
He's quoted in 'The Age' this morning as saying after the game,
"What we spoke about was if we want to pay respect to Robert it really is about getting our performance right and clearly any emotion for Robert doesn't contribute to your ability to defend and attack and use the ball."

This goes to the heart of my doubts about Lyon. He seems to be devoid of passion. Like he's analysed the game within an inch of it's life and has taken all of the passion and emotion out of it. Hence a team that plays that way.
I'm pleased with the win and pleased to be playing finals, but I'm just not convinced about Lyon. It's as though he's reduced the game to a set of key deliverables that can be measured with kpi's and benchmarks. There's no space for flair and passion. He continues to fail to impress me.
So what do we want? Seriously, if we had been over the top emotionally and lost, he would have copped it. Who cares if he's not passionate? As long as we win games FFS.

Once again, we can overlook things as it suits us. KPI's etc... terminology from a bygone era?

The main thing is that the players are passionate, they win us the games. And yesterday they were passionate.

A coach's role isn't to entertain the fans and media. This is a team sport, and every player has a role to play. If that means less flair, then so be it. Regardless of his role, he HAS been a part of a premiership team, and therefore understands better than all of us just what is required to win a flag.

Lyon could have the personality of a dead fish for all I care. The important thing is: is he getting through to the players? will our style hold up in finals? are the players responding to him?

Also, try and read your quote again...

He was basically saying that the best way to pay respect is to win, and that he doesn't believe that the emotion should be a contributing factor to how you play. And I agree.

But I guess there's no convincing some.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

[quote="BAM! (shhhh)]

To imply that there's some great virtue in making finals as a second year coach is either disingenuous or straight out ignorant. The poster above has been around long enough to assume it's not the latter.
[/quote]

Why so? For the las t 2 years, many on this forum have been crapping on about "which players have improved under Lyon"; "we've gone backwards under Lyon"; as well as other comparisons where RL was judged a failure because in 06 we won 14 games, and last year we only won 10... and in 06 we made finals under GT, and 07 we didn't.

So in reality, a majority of posters have set the "bar" as to Lyon's performance based on comparisons with GT.

On that basis, we have improved this year and made finals. So he deserves some credit IMO.

You can't have it both ways.

BAsed on that logic, we were on the decline in 06... bottomed out last year... and if we win a final, we'll be on the improve. :wink:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

My biggest criticism of Lyon was that our good players weren't playing well.

They are now, and have been for 2 months.

Therefore, we're winning. Therefore, Lyon is doing his job well.

End of story.