How can we beat hawthorn?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NoMore
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:
I am not at all worried about the Hawthorn game. I believe we can beat them because i think we match up well on them. Our strengths match theirs.

I believe we hace the perfect backline to contain there forwards and pretty much any of our defenders could go to buddy. It would not surprise me to see any of Hudgeton, Gram, Fisher or Gilbert go to Franklin. Most likely to be Fisher. Lyon will hope that Sam can hurt Buddy the other way as well as being just as good an athlete.

Max will go to Roughhead and that is enough said on that match up.

Our forward line will be where it is won. I think Croad will most likely go to Roo. This leaves Kosi on there hopeless second tall. However if Cambell Brown goes to Roo we should send him 30 metres out from goal and really put pressure on the overrated Thug by making him compete 1 on 1 not the way he usually does with all his midfielders dropping back. Also with Jones, Eddy and Armo playing around half forward there will be to much pressure for there lazy midfielders and half backs to drop off and get easy kicks setting up play.

Lets all hope that Ross instructs the players to hit up whoever Guerra goes to as he is almost the worst defensive player in the game. Hasn't finished a game with a bruise in 3 years.

The midfield will be the most interesting area. I think our midfields are very even. we both are not overly quick but we have plenty of grunt. It will all come down to who wins the ball first. If Lenny and Bally get on top and Mitchell is tagged hard i can't see us losing.

Don't worry about the hawks. The key to beating them is moving the ball quickley. Not letting ur Half back line get sucked up the ground and to carry the ball through there space invader zone.

I'm looking forward to a win and sounding a warning to the rest of the competition that this is not a 3 horse race
Pretty good summary nomore:

Don't know why people think max will take franklin. Max stays back, thereore will take roughhead out of the game.

We will likely double team franklin, with blake the main opponent (he has the tank to keep with him), and fisher falling back and cutting the space. We have good attacking options out of the backline.

Also expect the dawks to flood our forward line. They see our forwards as a real danger. Hawks do a fair bit of flooding, so we need to win in the midfield.
Hawks do flood alot. But they preform a slower than normal flood as the clog space all the way up the ground. The key to beating there flood is quick ball movement and players running in waves through the corridor.

Many people bag Gram on this however he is our most important player in my opinion. Few others in our team can break games open like him. If he has 20 effective possessions on saturday night i think it is highly likely we will win. He will carry through the zone and then kick over there lazy midfielders who fall off there opponents hoping for an easy kick

Red
Club Player

Play them like the Roos did. Constant pressure. The Kangas kicked 6 of their

first 7 goals from putting so much pressure on and causing turnovers.

They also spread the Hawks defenders by using whoever was loose.

While we don't have a matchup for Buddy they don't have 1 for Kosi or

Milne. It could be who kicks straightest.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:Play them like the Roos did. Constant pressure. The Kangas kicked 6 of their

While we don't have a matchup for Buddy they don't have 1 for Kosi or

Milne. It could be who kicks straightest.
You are right that is why this week we must have a 6 man forward line and when they have it in our backline instead of running back immediately we must keep our structure and put pressure on their ball carrier. They love it when side flood back immediately. It suits their structure.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:I am not at all worried about the Hawthorn game. I believe we can beat them because i think we match up well on them. Our strengths match theirs.
Agreed on strengths, it's still going to be tough to beat them, even given current form lines.
NoMore wrote:I believe we hace the perfect backline to contain there forwards and pretty much any of our defenders could go to buddy. It would not surprise me to see any of Hudgeton, Gram, Fisher or Gilbert go to Franklin. Most likely to be Fisher. Lyon will hope that Sam can hurt Buddy the other way as well as being just as good an athlete.
I think Franklin will have a number of opponents throughout the game, but I'd still like to see Gilbert have first crack.
NoMore wrote:Max will go to Roughhead and that is enough said on that match up.
No doubt.
NoMore wrote:Our forward line will be where it is won. I think Croad will most likely go to Roo. This leaves Kosi on there hopeless second tall. However if Cambell Brown goes to Roo we should send him 30 metres out from goal and really put pressure on the overrated Thug by making him compete 1 on 1 not the way he usually does with all his midfielders dropping back. Also with Jones, Eddy and Armo playing around half forward there will be to much pressure for there lazy midfielders and half backs to drop off and get easy kicks setting up play.
Roo will kill Croad. I think Brown will take him unless he stays near goal. Croad will go to Kosi. It's hard to say though.
NoMore wrote:Lets all hope that Ross instructs the players to hit up whoever Guerra goes to as he is almost the worst defensive player in the game. Hasn't finished a game with a bruise in 3 years.
Sounds good, Eddy could be a good target.

NoMore wrote:The midfield will be the most interesting area. I think our midfields are very even. we both are not overly quick but we have plenty of grunt. It will all come down to who wins the ball first. If Lenny and Bally get on top and Mitchell is tagged hard i can't see us losing.
Mini on Mitchell, Dempster on Rioli down back, but ready to switch onto whichever outside mid is hurting us the most.

makemytime
Club Player

whos going to take williams then? hes a pretty good kick

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

makemytime wrote:whos going to take williams then? hes a pretty good kick
maxxie or dempster

saints11
Club Player

Gram

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

saints11 wrote:
Gram
but then gram would have to be in the Backline again he plays his best football in the Midfield he should NEVER be moved back there

saints11
Club Player

ralphysaints35 wrote:
saints11 wrote:
Gram
but then gram would have to be in the Backline again he plays his best football in the Midfield he should NEVER be moved back there
Yeah But I would play him as a running backman we have to many mids in the team

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saints11 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
saints11 wrote:
Gram
err...no.

“Yeah….nah””
saints11
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
saints11 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
saints11 wrote:
Gram
err...no.
Err yes Montagna,hayes,ball,harvey.jones.eddy

rexy
SS Life Member

Gram is a liability that far back, leaves his man to often and his un reliable field kicking means that he can end up not only turning it over but then being nowher near his own man who is a dangerous small forward.

Gram must play in the middle IMO. Williams will get BJ, Sam or Sam.

Maybe this year?
makemytime
Club Player

Fisher is gonna have to take roughead/franklin

yep BJ is the best option - speed and skills

I wonder who had the jobs of buddy and roughead last year

NoMore
Club Player

makemytime wrote:Fisher is gonna have to take roughead/franklin

Sam Fisher took Buddy the first time and beat him and then Gram took him the nexxt time and beat him. I think Dempster will probably take Cyryl Rioli and Blake may get williams or maybe gwilt

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

NoMore wrote:
makemytime wrote:Fisher is gonna have to take roughead/franklin

Sam Fisher took Buddy the first time and beat him and then Gram took him the nexxt time and beat him. I think Dempster will probably take Cyryl Rioli and Blake may get williams or maybe gwilt
Buddy kicked 1.5 against Fisher the first time we played them last year. Buddy was beaten, just not by his direct opponent...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
makemytime
Club Player

1st game last year, we lose but buddy kicks 1.5 - s fisher
2nd game last year, we win but buddy kicks 5 - gram + otha defenders

we'll probably need players to rotate off him

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Red wrote:Play them like the Roos did. Constant pressure. The Kangas kicked 6 of their

Couldn't agree more. Its all about pressure...not letting them get quick/easy deliver into their fwd 50. If we can cause turnovers in the middle of the ground then we'll create easier opportunities to score. Also, we have to really be on our game with skill level - the hawks are one of the best teams at scoring on the counter-attack!

Blake on Roughead is the big match-up. Is Blake does well then we can use Chips a lot through the midfield.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

We must bring our "A grade" game and turn up to play with 100% effort, 100% of the time.

There is no room for passengers, and we'll require an even spread of players taking the workload.

It is critical that we zone-off defensively, and apply forward pressure to keep the ball inside our attacking 50.

Our midfield must gain first use of the pill, and our work around stoppages mast be first rate.

Bad kicking is bad football. So we need to take our opportunities in front of goal and kick straight and apply scorebloard pressure.

If we follow the process, the results will follow. Our premiership bus must be fine tuned, serviced and full of petrol in order to smash through the premiership window which is closing fast.

If we fail to do all of the above, we will get beaten by the Hawks and may as well "fart at thunder" and sack the coach.

Sorry, just killing my boredom. This was actually a great post until I stepped in! :twisted:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.