This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Brooksy_Babe_24 wrote:A bit harsh terribly harsh i would say.
the only thing that Gwilty needs to learn how to do is how to use his body.
his body cannot change the decisions his head makes can it?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

There is something wrong when a supporter cringes when a particular player from their team goes for the ball...At the moment i think Gwilt has that effect.

I hope he improves but at the moment he still seems to be Noble Park standard,if he ends up back there he could take a few Saints players with him.

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is easily the most under rated player at the club. He is a long kick and has good hands. There are plenty who play a lot more regularly in the top 22 about whom you can't say that. Posters on here whinge endlessly about our lack of accurate kicking skills, but then they praise Jones and Eddy to high heaven and want to delist Gwilt (like they used to want to get rid of BJ and TS 40)

Sure Gwilt made a few mistakes in one match after playing two pretty good ones. I don't even think he should be playing down the back, but he always has a red hot go. Allen didn't make any mistakes on friday night, because he did bugger all

Some posters on here seem endlessly to cream their pants about Allen (a player with an allergy to leather), Ferguson (what he's been doing at the club for so long is a mystery to me: honestly, I can remember Nick Stone doing more), Miles (and what's his surname anyway?). Or even an honest plodder like Alex Silvagni!!

Why all the endless bagging of Gwilt and Raph? Is it racism? Perhaps, perhaps not

Anyway, its bloody tedious

Saints in 20??
Club Player

Underrated??

Im not sure how it is possible to underate James Gwilt or Raph Clarke. I could hardly expect less from either. I hope when they get the ball they kick laterally because when they go forward they turn it over, I hope they don't lay a tackle as it will always incur a free, when they punch the ball, it is out of a saints players hands . At one stage, half of Carltons goals happened dirctly as a result of a free against Gwilt.
To say it is racist is idiotic, and to back that up, I will say that at this stage Jarrod Allen has no idea and looked completely out of his depth. Am i now racist against all colors ?? To play that card is revolting.

JeffDunne

Young kids in defense are easy targets.

Their mistakes always appear more crticial.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Got to agree playing the racism card is just plain utter crap and you apologise to everyone who has a negative opinion on either player.

JeffDunne

I have no doubt there's an element of racism in the vitriol directed at the two.

bob__71
Club Player

Haha...I was wondering if the umpires on Friday night were indonesian sympathisers or some old japanese soldiors....Was trying to work out why the boy from PNG was being crucified...damn he got pingd for holding the ball....would have been lucky if he had the thing in his hand for 1/4 of a second.

I dont think anything on here is racist....just a bunch of little boys trying to sound tuff mostly.

Saints in 20??
Club Player

So does that mean that Aaron Fiora is also picked on on racial grounds ???? It seems more likely that people who think that players are picked on because they are black are the ones seeing the color not the man.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

The 'Fro has a good size, is a great kick, and has a touch of mongrel about him.

Once again, people seem to believe that we must have a team of 22 superstars... which won't happen.

Give the kid time to develop. Most agree that he has the skills, so why delist him? And who would you replace him with?

Sure, he stuffs up... but I can recall some so called "stars" of recent times making errors.

He has been earmrked for a defence post in the future, and I think we'll see him come out looking bigger next year.

It also perplexes me when everyone demands that we "play the kids", yet when we do, we want them dropped.

FFS :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

Saints in 20?? wrote:So does that mean that Aaron Fiora is also picked on on racial grounds ????
No, he's stereotyped for other reasons.

I don't think anyone's suggesting they are 'picked on' because of the colour of their skin - simply the level of the vitriol directed their way. I suspect Raph's going to cop even more stereotyping with his recently diagnosed medical condition.
It seems more likely that people who think that players are picked on because they are black are the ones seeing the color not the man.
How long did it take you to think up that 'original' cop-out?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gwilt's played two good games followed by a complete stinker ... a game so bad that it sticks in the memory. let's hope he gets another chance and puts it behind him.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 14 Jul 2008 12:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

This is from another thread - my view on Gwilt.....

Now that they've killed off James Gwilt's character on CSI, can we expect a bit more committment from him? He was ordinary on Friday. What strikes me about him is how bad he is in a contest. Gives away frees alot, and if the ball does hit the deck, he worries far too much about his man and so often overruns the ball. In the 3 years he's been at an AFL club, his defensive skills haven't really improved that much. He has talent, but I'm starting to worry that it will never be realised as a defender.

Red
Club Player

He's being in for 3 or 4 weeks and that was his only bad game.

The only reason it was bad was for the free kicks because his man didn't

beat him. Two of those frees were pretty soft and he gave them away while

leaving his man to help another defender. You have to like that.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Why is'nt everyone attacking Allan instead of Gwilt. Allan was a lot worse on Friday night.

Saints in 20??
Club Player

Funny Jeff, you seem to be the one pointing the way for people to base opinions on racism and bias against medical conditions. You also seem to insult the poster and not the opinion which makes your behaviour completely consistent.
Something doesn't need to be original to be true. I thought it up instantly after seeing the implied insult in your words.
You should learn the difference in meaning between infer and imply and then perhaps you may see the bias is in your eyes.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Why is'nt everyone attacking Allan instead of Gwilt. Allan was a lot worse on Friday night.
Allen wasn't playing in defense, and his 'mistakes' didn't cost us goals.

His work off the ball was pretty good, and made space for Riewoldt and Koschitzke.

Still not worthy of an AFL spot just yet, but it's a whole lot easier to crucify an individual playing in defense for a bad game.

JeffDunne

Saints in 20?? wrote:Funny Jeff, you seem to be the one pointing the way for people to base opinions on racism and bias against medical conditions. You also seem to insult the poster and not the opinion which makes your behaviour completely consistent.
Something doesn't need to be original to be true. I thought it up instantly after seeing the implied insult in your words.
You should learn the difference in meaning between infer and imply and then perhaps you may see the bias is in your eyes.
Saints in 20?? wrote:To say it is racist is idiotic
:roll:
Saints in 20?? wrote:It seems more likely that people who think that players are picked on because they are black are the ones seeing the color not the man.
Double :roll:

The easiest cop-out in the race debate is to label people racist because they are sensitive to issues based on race.

You may disagree that the criticisms directed at players is race driven but that doesn't give you the right to call me a racist.

Saints in 20??
Club Player

No the easiest cop out is to claim that people who criticise a players performance are doing it on racist grounds. Thats a lesser step than your opinion of my opinion.
Vitriol is usually directed at players with talent who dont use it and especially at players who seem disinterested or duck contests and for those reasons Aaron Fiora is often my bunny.
I love X but have lost patience with Raph based purely on what they have both brought to the club. I still have hopes for Gwilt.
BTW I never called you a racist. We all love red, white and black here.

bozza1980
Club Player

I thought he was servicable the last few weeks.

Hasn't nailed down a spot in our best 22, but I don't think you cut him at season's end.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

How about you all stop your whinging and give the kid a fair go he deserves his spot and will only get better in time his still very young and didn't come through the normal paths to the afl and also suffers from serve asthma he will prove what he is made of soon enough

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

At the moment Gwilt is being forced to play in defence because of our lack of other options, both in the short term (with Goose out) and longer term (with Max retiring any minute). I think even Ross Lyon knows he is better suited elsewhere but it's worth giving him a go and seeing what happens.
For what it's worth, I spoke to a guy a few weeks ago who saw him play for Noble Park and he said Gwilt played on the wing and was sensational. Can't see him cracking it for a game on the wing for the Saints though.

saints11
Club Player

Rowdy wrote:Sorry for being garrulous, can't a man be resplendent with a post every now and then? :twisted:
I was Just checking

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:At the moment Gwilt is being forced to play in defence because of our lack of other options, both in the short term (with Goose out) and longer term (with Max retiring any minute). I think even Ross Lyon knows he is better suited elsewhere but it's worth giving him a go and seeing what happens.
For what it's worth, I spoke to a guy a few weeks ago who saw him play for Noble Park and he said Gwilt played on the wing and was sensational. Can't see him cracking it for a game on the wing for the Saints though.
Maxxie will play on next year.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Saints in 20?? wrote:Funny Jeff, you seem to be the one pointing the way for people to base opinions on racism and bias against medical conditions. You also seem to insult the poster and not the opinion which makes your behaviour completely consistent.
Saints in 20?? wrote:To say it is racist is idiotic
:roll:
Saints in 20?? wrote:It seems more likely that people who think that players are picked on because they are black are the ones seeing the color not the man.
Double :roll:

The easiest cop-out in the race debate is to label people racist because they are sensitive to issues based on race.

You may disagree that the criticisms directed at players is race driven but that doesn't give you the right to call me a racist.
Agree entirely JeffDunne.

I have posted on here before the attacks on X and Raph and now Jimmy Gwilt has something more to it than just their ability.

As mb stated other players get away with being an icon of the cclub like Ferguson who has done three fifths of f all (injuries have been cruel I admit) but a young 21 year like Raph and Jimmy are called all sorts of names and are called posion etc.

easy to label and I dont know if it subconcious however there is certainly more to the critisism than the way they play.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)