Increased midfield depth wins us the game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:<shrug>

Brooks was to be a project player, didn't get the extra centremetres of growth and never came, many draftees don't take the next step, but he was a gun junior and Port charged hard for him, as they expected him to be a 10 year player.
Id stop there.

In amongst the other failings we IMHO failed to give this guy REAL opportunities and when we did it was to showcase him potentially for trade.

That failure rests with the then coach who is about to be shown up in what it takes to DEVELOP players who arent "just add water" footballers.It takes special coaches to get the best out of lessor players but players with talent....Malthouse with Davis/ Medhurst/Swan..etc....not renowned superstars but now considered vgood players....

Brooks was a project player with talent 2 clubs recognised. IMHO the project management of him was abysmall.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Re: Increased midfield depth wins us the game

Teflon wrote:let me guess...Kosi is still "top 3 rucks "in AFL also? we all just "farting at thunder"...
I would describe pretending Kosi could be the next Peter Hudson as farting at thunder.

Whilst I understand our "problem solving in a solution based environment" may not sometimes come up with the best results it has unfortunately turned Kosi into a GOP according to many and one of the four most disappointing footballers in 2008 by the sun.

Luckily RL has started to play Kosi back in the ruck in the past fortnight and whilst you may now be disappointed with the results I doubt many other Saints fans are :D .

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Teflon wrote:let me guess...Kosi is still "top 3 rucks "in AFL also? we all just "farting at thunder"...
I would describe pretending Kosi could be the next Peter Hudson as farting at thunder.

Whilst I understand our "problem solving in a solution based environment" may not sometimes come up with the best results it has unfortunately turned Kosi into a GOP according to many and one of the four most disappointing footballers in 2008 by the sun.

Kosi only been dissapointing for 2008 - youve got a short memory...some would say hes only ever played 4 great games.. :shock: feel free to embellish as you go.....you work in marketing?

Luckily RL has started to play Kosi back in the ruck in the past fortnight and whilst you may now be disappointed with the results I doubt many other Saints fans are :D .
Now your off topic but its late so I'll try and get this in before bed time...

Kosi was/has been comfortably smashed in ruckwork this year. Infact in some games hes gone in there and there has been a definate momentum shift. On Friday he beat a kid and a dud....but feel free, as your previous demi God Grant did, to tell us all again that he is going to becomes top 3 AFL ruckman... :lol:

Kos has - and did on the weekend - done his best work drifting fwd. Im not saying he doesnt play ruck - but hes back up at best for me and certainly dangerous when moving fwd.

Back on topic - Kos wasnt our ruck answers in 2004.

Do try and keep up Shaggy.

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

Kosi only been dissapointing for 2008 - youve got a short memory...some would say hes only ever played 4 great games.. :shock: feel free to embellish as you go.....you work in marketing?

Kosi was/has been comfortably smashed in ruckwork this year. Infact in some games hes gone in there and there has been a definate momentum shift. On Friday he beat a kid and a dud....but feel free, as your previous demi God Grant did, to tell us all again that he is going to becomes top 3 AFL ruckman... :lol:

Kos has - and did on the weekend - done his best work drifting fwd. Im not saying he doesnt play ruck - but hes back up at best for me and certainly dangerous when moving fwd.

Kosi's strength and movement round the ground are pivotal to his confidence and value to the team.

Agree his centre clearance work is very poor, and have also seen momentum shifts with him in the centre square. Around the ground I have noticed it less I must say....

He was good against the Roos who have 1 quality ruck though....

Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

A little thing happened in 2004 Tef. A circle was introduced limiting the run up of rucks going for the knock out. Surprisingly it seems to have affected the smaller ruck men :shock: . Our game plan was based on smaller but much more athletic ruck men who have struggled since going for the hit-outs.

Whilst you blame GT I blame the rule change. Each to their own.

Regardless of the rule change we focused on winning the ball out the centre anyway which I think is good coaching. And we were in top 4 in centre clearances. I doubt that was GT ... I think Bundy ... but regardless it was great coaching.

RL also needs to work out a game plan around Kosi being in the ruck :idea: because it makes a huge difference to our team when he is on fire (and the for the past year and half he has been played out of position).
Last edited by Shaggy on Mon 14 Jul 2008 12:12am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

A little thing happened in 2004 Tef. A circle was introduced limiting the run up of rucks going for the knock out. Surprisingly it seems to have affected the smaller ruck men :shock: . Our game plan was based on smaller but much more athletic ruck men who have struggled since going for the hit-outs.

Whilst you blame GT I blame the rule change. Each to their own.

Regardless of the rule change we focused on winning the ball out the centre anyway which I think is good coaching. And we were in top 4 in centre clearances. I doubt that was GT ... I think Bundy ... but regardless it was great coaching.
Cmon Shaggy now your blaming rule changes that affected ALL clubs and suggesting thats why we havent until recently either recruited/developed a ruck option?

Goodnight Shaggy.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Good night Tef but think about it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Good night Tef but think about it.
Yep it'll keep me up most of the night......"the rule change that stopped st kilda developiong/getting an effective ruckman".... :lol:

Next it'll be Demetriou's vendetta against Grant which is why we changed rules.... :lol: :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:Good night Tef but think about it.
Yep it'll keep me up most of the night......"the rule change that stopped st kilda developiong/getting an effective ruckman".... :lol:

Next it'll be Demetriou's vendetta against Grant which is why we changed rules.... :lol: :wink:
Lol. But if you don't recognise that smaller ruckmen were disadvantaged so be it. It has nothing to do with vendettas and the Saints worked around it anyway (as most clubs do against some-one like Sandilands).

Sleep on it anyway.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Brooks was to be a project player, didn't get the extra centremetres of growth and never came, many draftees don't take the next step, but he was a gun junior and Port charged hard for him, as they expected him to be a 10 year player.
Id stop there.

In amongst the other failings we IMHO failed to give this guy REAL opportunities and when we did it was to showcase him potentially for trade.

That failure rests with the then coach who is about to be shown up in what it takes to DEVELOP players who arent "just add water" footballers.It takes special coaches to get the best out of lessor players but players with talent....Malthouse with Davis/ Medhurst/Swan..etc....not renowned superstars but now considered vgood players....

Brooks was a project player with talent 2 clubs recognised. IMHO the project management of him was abysmall.
Totally agree.

GT was fantastic with befriending the superstars of the club, the Reiwoldts, Balls and Koschitzkes.......But who did he really make a difference in.

Swan is a great example. Was about to be shown the door, Collingwood and probably to a large extent Malthouse made the significant changes in his game and attitude and turned him into an awesome footballer.

GT pretty much neglected Spider, felt as if we didn't need him, then traded heaven and earth for a project player, and toped up with tall athletic duds.

Ottens - Pick 14 and Moloney from memory. Pin pointed the difficiencys in the list and acted accordingly....It came at a price, but it delivered a premiership. And he was the difference between that team being good and being great.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:And Grant was going to take that famed CEO's job at one of the myriad Eaglemont companies that was top and tailed by Bill Express ("On Q" from memory, with the way paved by the king of 60's sly grog, Lindsay Fox, who was their biggest shareholder).

Good luck to Grant - another job he didn't get. And a good thing too.
You are a sick f***. Get Professional help :roll: :roll:
Right on cue.

Thanks for the value honey. Love the opinion and personal thoughts within every one of your posts.

Shaggy
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Id stop there.

Totally agree.

GT was fantastic with befriending the superstars of the club, the Reiwoldts, Balls and Koschitzkes.......But who did he really make a difference in.
So the players just developed regardless of GT? :D

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Have to take issue at some of the revisionist claptrap on this thread
Dan Warna wrote:<rooks was to be a project player, didn't get the extra centremetres of growth and never came, many draftees don't take the next step, but he was a gun junior and Port charged hard for him, as they expected him to be a 10 year player.
Unmittigated rubbish. Port knew he was never going to make it. Rendall convinced the Saints to give up pick #8 and #34 for him. They got Salopek and now Rendall is over at Port. If they had expected him to be a ten year player they would have kept him.

Two absolutely wasted picks on what turned out to be a monumental underachiever.
Dan Warna wrote:King, considered finished at Geelong, second lease of life at st kilda, seems to be really contributing at this stage, will he be a salmon and extend his career by a good few years? possibly...
Considered so finished they chose him ove young Blake to play in the Grand Final :roll:

Fair Dinkum you talk garbage. Geelong had to make a decision in trade week. Saints smartly made a play for Blake forcing up his price. Geelong with SC problems had to make a decision between a 28 y.o or a 22 y.o potential ten year player and unsuprisingly went for the youger one.

Never ever thought he was finished. Because of the Saints great ploy of going after Blake we got King and Gardiner for # 90.

And hasn't King been a darn side better than MR pick #8 and #34 in the ruck? Happen to see his tap work to Lenny on Friday night.

If you are going to post stuff at least try to get the facts even marginally correct. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Shaggy
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Have to take issue at some of the revisionist claptrap on this thread
Dan Warna wrote:<rooks was to be a project player, didn't get the extra centremetres of growth and never came, many draftees don't take the next step, but he was a gun junior and Port charged hard for him, as they expected him to be a 10 year player.
Unmittigated rubbish. Port knew he was never going to make it. Rendall convinced the Saints to give up pick #8 and #34 for him. They got Salopek and now Rendall is over at Port. If they had expected him to be a ten year player they would have kept him.

Two absolutely wasted picks on what turned out to be a monumental underachiever.
Thats your view. Brooks was seriously injured 10 games into his Saints career.

IMO RL never gave him a chance.
joffaboy wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:King, considered finished at Geelong, second lease of life at st kilda, seems to be really contributing at this stage, will he be a salmon and extend his career by a good few years? possibly...
Considered so finished they chose him ove young Blake to play in the Grand Final :roll:

Fair Dinkum you talk garbage. Geelong had to make a decision in trade week. Saints smartly made a play for Blake forcing up his price. Geelong with SC problems had to make a decision between a 28 y.o or a 22 y.o potential ten year player and unsuprisingly went for the youger one.

Never ever thought he was finished. Because of the Saints great ploy of going after Blake we got King and Gardiner for # 90.

And hasn't King been a darn side better than MR pick #8 and #34 in the ruck? Happen to see his tap work to Lenny on Friday night.

If you are going to post stuff at least try to get the facts even marginally correct. :roll:
Agree with you here. King is not a crab but a very good player. Again I think King has been a victim of injuries in the past and supporters/clubs seem to be very unforgiving. You read on SS about Bakes and so many are already writing him off.

Bakes will come back ... he will play ordinary football ... and then he will come back to being a vg footballer when he is physically and match fit as King is doing now.