Robert Walls

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SteveStevens66
Club Player

There was a panel to choose the coach. That is true. One can assume that the decision to appoint RL was, in the end, unanimous. But the bigger question is, what sort of self-respecting football club calls in a complete outsider, someone who played for Carlton at a time when they were our absolute nemesis, and is a person who has displayed nothing but contempt for the St Kilda FC, to help choose our new coach?

His appointment to the selection panel is just further evidence of the incestuous and conflict-of-interest ridden nature of AFL. Just because he is a football celebrity we bring him in. Was there not a panel of St Kilda people who could have chosen a coach without bringing in outsiders? Can anyone on here imagine big sports clubs such as Man U, Barcelona, Collingwood, the New York Yankees, etc., calling on the services of a commentator to help them pick a new coach? This sort of thing can only happen in the culture of AFL football. Even though Rossy Smith was on the panel, and he remains a hero of mine, this panel's calling in Walls was an admission that they weren't up to doing the job themselves. And that is a terrible indictment on our club. And even if the appointment of RL had turned out well, I'd still disgusted with the process that brought in Walls, for it is an admission of our inability to monitor and manage ourselves.

:roll:

Carna Saints!!!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:it's a good point Mr.Magic

for those that want him gone... who would you replace him with?
Apparently Aussie Jones is doing a good job in the under 18 comp even though they are only sixth and has plenty of experience at Narre Warren.
Vey nice. There is one. He COULDNT do worse than RL, and he is one of ours (nice, but yes, not necessary). There was a bunch of other "outstanding" candidates for the job when ole rossy got appointed.
Are wasnt serious and I hope you arent either. Yep half a year in under 18 comp cant beleive we dont appoint him now. Oh I forgot Narre Warren as well.
I was only half joking Plugger! :D :lol:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:There was a panel to choose the coach. That is true. One can assume that the decision to appoint RL was, in the end, unanimous. But the bigger question is, what sort of self-respecting football club calls in a complete outsider, someone who played for Carlton at a time when they were our absolute nemesis, and is a person who has displayed nothing but contempt for the St Kilda FC, to help choose our new coach?

His appointment to the selection panel is just further evidence of the incestuous and conflict-of-interest ridden nature of AFL. Just because he is a football celebrity we bring him in. Was there not a panel of St Kilda people who could have chosen a coach without bringing in outsiders? Can anyone on here imagine big sports clubs such as Man U, Barcelona, Collingwood, the New York Yankees, etc., calling on the services of a commentator to help them pick a new coach? This sort of thing can only happen in the culture of AFL football. Even though Rossy Smith was on the panel, and he remains a hero of mine, this panel's calling in Walls was an admission that they weren't up to doing the job themselves. And that is a terrible indictment on our club. And even if the appointment of RL had turned out well, I'd still disgusted with the process that brought in Walls, for it is an admission of our inability to monitor and manage ourselves.
Maybe they went to great lengths to show that "This Time" the coach selection process was above board and not the exercise in Bulldust it was for the previous coach ,hence, the use of an outsider on the selection panel.

Walls has been a consultant on other coach selection panels,it's just one way he makes his cash nowadays ,afterall, he cant go back to coaching, he's past it,teams don't play his way anymore,the huddle is old hat.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Ray Broughton
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
jonesy wrote:Never understood all the hatred that flows too Walls from this site. He's not my favourite specials comments commentator,but he's certainly not the worst. I'd take his opinion over 80% of the football genius's on here :roll:

Are people still angry after the spray he gave us during that pathetic excuse of an attempt that was the 2005 preliminary final? He hit the nail on the head and some couldn't handle the truth!
Walls is ok in print, when he has had time to think about what he is saying. But as a live-to-air commentator he just endlessly blurts out a stream of often out there opinions which are typically ill-considered and often biased (in favour of Carlton in general and the various players and AFL figures he likes in particular).

If, by this comment,
the spray he gave us during that pathetic excuse of an attempt that was the 2005 preliminary final? He hit the nail on the head and some couldn't handle the truth
you are referring to his unforgettable and unforgivable comment that Matt Maguire should have gotten straight up and played on after Barry Hall whacked him in the guts (and we have subsequenly seen what sort of a punch Hall can deliver), then I don't think you have any right to describe yourself as Saints suporter. :twisted:
I agree MB, all saints supporters should be divorced from reality, call for coaches heads at every rough patch, blame everyone else other than players for continued non success and accept being the chopping block. Anyone who doesnt do this has no RIGHT to pledge support.... :shock: :shock: toss

eg Raph Clarke will be a champion of this club........ Mark my words

Ray Broughton
~Fish Catcher and Saints Barracker~
"When I'm not watching saints, I'm catchin barra wearing my saints scarf in the 35 degree heat - that's the kinda fan I am"...
Ray Broughton
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
Maybe they went to great lengths to show that "This Time" the coach selection process was above board and not the exercise in Bulldust it was for the previous coach ,hence, the use of an outsider on the selection panel.

Walls has been a consultant on other coach selection panels,it's just one way he makes his cash nowadays ,afterall, he cant go back to coaching, he's past it,teams don't play his way anymore,the huddle is old hat.
Agree entirely.

It's not completely RL's fault we're shite, the "one" man on the committee who appointed him also is to blame..... Call for a linching :? :?

Ray Broughton
~Fish Catcher and Saints Barracker~
"When I'm not watching saints, I'm catchin barra wearing my saints scarf in the 35 degree heat - that's the kinda fan I am"...
derby Street
Club Player

Brown Coat do you ever have anything constructive thing to say - I am getting heartily sick of your negativity. I like others suspect you may very well be a troll (any numver of clubs ?)

The fact is that Robert Walls was only one vote in the selection group who then made their recomendations to the board. In fact one of your so called "Stooges" was Ross Smith - you probably don't even know that he is one of the great Saints players and a person of high intregity and intellect.
Unlike you.

jay young
Club Player

walls hutchinson wilson need to learn from the masters and they are KG cornes and rucci

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:it's a good point Mr.Magic

for those that want him gone... who would you replace him with?
Apparently Aussie Jones is doing a good job in the under 18 comp even though they are only sixth and has plenty of experience at Narre Warren.
Id wait till Jones has had a nice long stint under the media glare and spotlight at Warnambool before I'd go there....... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Saints43
Club Player

derby Street wrote:The fact is that Robert Walls was only one vote in the selection group who then made their recomendations to the board. In fact one of your so called "Stooges" was Ross Smith - you probably don't even know that he is one of the great Saints players and a person of high intregity and intellect.
Unlike you.
Finally. Someone who knows exactly how the selection process worked.

I would love to hear more.. from the shortlisting of names to who had how many 'votes' on who would be the successful candidate.