For the discerning Saint

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:I reckon the Gold Coast Saints is the way to go, jump in now while we have even the slightest chance of doing so - it is far and away the best chance the RW&B mob will ever have of winning a flag in the near future!
Why do people think this is the case? It doesn't guarantee anything at all. The NRL wrapped up their Adelaide Rams franchise after one year, it was such a failure. If things don't go well with GC17, who's to say the same thing won't happen?

There's no reason the Saints can't win a premiership in Melbourne, and I don't think the club needs a GC relocation upheaval to disrupt is progresst.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I didnt like the idea on moving to the gold coast but i think it would be a great idea after doing research and reading this, I think we would have a better chance at winning Premierships and ive always wanted to move to the gold coast so that might be the chance

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bethb7
Club Player

No no no that would be worst thing ever. St Kilda are not in that bad a shape what about clubs like Melbourne & North why would we move up there over them? I would never forgive the club if they moved us up to the GC :( . It will not happen

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
karnaby
Club Player

degruch wrote:
karnaby wrote:I reckon the Gold Coast Saints is the way to go, jump in now while we have even the slightest chance of doing so - it is far and away the best chance the RW&B mob will ever have of winning a flag in the near future!
Why do people think this is the case? It doesn't guarantee anything at all. The NRL wrapped up their Adelaide Rams franchise after one year, it was such a failure. If things don't go well with GC17, who's to say the same thing won't happen?

There's no reason the Saints can't win a premiership in Melbourne, and I don't think the club needs a GC relocation upheaval to disrupt is progresst.
1 - I think it would improve our chances of success because the afl will actively help the club to succeed - they're interested in the whole idea of expansion because they see that it will increase revenue. Does anyone honestly think that whatever club ends up playing on the GC that the league won't do all sorts of favours for them?
2 - Saints could possibly win a flag in Melbourne but we're not looking like it at present and the way cycles seem to operate it looks like it will be quite some time until we're anywhere near the top of the ladder & in a position to have a real chance of a flag.
3 - the club definately doesn't need upheaval for it's own sake but it does have to work to ensure it's long term survival & if we're not competitive for a year or 2 just watch the membership numbers & therefore the revenue drop. Struggle street might only a couple of poor decisions away.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:
degruch wrote:

1 - I think it would improve our chances of success because the afl will actively help the club to succeed - they're interested in the whole idea of expansion because they see that it will increase revenue. Does anyone honestly think that whatever club ends up playing on the GC that the league won't do all sorts of favours for them?
2 - Saints could possibly win a flag in Melbourne but we're not looking like it at present and the way cycles seem to operate it looks like it will be quite some time until we're anywhere near the top of the ladder & in a position to have a real chance of a flag.
3 - the club definately doesn't need upheaval for it's own sake but it does have to work to ensure it's long term survival & if we're not competitive for a year or 2 just watch the membership numbers & therefore the revenue drop. Struggle street might only a couple of poor decisions away.
I have no doubt that the Southport Saints would win a premiership before the St Kilda Saints but this a St Kilda forum not a Southport forum. Only one club has ever moved and that was South Melbourne because they were going to fold. Are we likely to fold in the next 10 years. I doubt it very much and by then our turn will come to try and win a flag. We may fail again like we have this time but I would rather fail in Melbourne than in Brisbane.

Now if we looked like folding that is another story.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:1 - I think it would improve our chances of success because the afl will actively help the club to succeed - they're interested in the whole idea of expansion because they see that it will increase revenue. Does anyone honestly think that whatever club ends up playing on the GC that the league won't do all sorts of favours for them?
But I don't believe anyone is interested...not the local population, or the local government, or especially, the Brisbane Lions! This was the case with the Adelaide Rams...no-one cared. If there is not instant success on the field, the opportunity to build a small local following will disappear fast. Support amongst traditional fans will crash. If the club proves unsustainable, the AFL will cut and run.
karnaby wrote: 2 - Saints could possibly win a flag in Melbourne but we're not looking like it at present and the way cycles seem to operate it looks like it will be quite some time until we're anywhere near the top of the ladder & in a position to have a real chance of a flag.
Not at present, but Port Adelaide and Brisbane 'rebuilt' in a short period of time, there's no reason why we can't too. Not real convinced by cycles.

TassieJones
Club Player

karnaby wrote: From over here I will admit that it is easier to think of relocation being a viable alternative as against those of you in Victoria who get Saints dished up to them ~16 times a year.
Mate I've lived in Hobart all my life and have seen the Saints play maybe 8-9 times in the past 5 years and I still have enough passion for our club that I don't want it to die and give it's colours and motto to some bastard child club on the Gold Coast, why don't you? Are you from the Gold Coast, is this what this is about?
If you really want my opinion I firmly believe that relocation to the Gold Coast should be number 1 item on the board's agenda. Frankly I don't think that it will ever happen because in all reality we've got far too many supporters who would prefer to see a long draw out "heroic" struggle that ultimately led to our failure rather than a pragmatic shift.
So essentially you are a sook who cannot handle the fact that we haven't had much success. I don't care how much money you've given the club if you can't hang tight through the rough times (even if it seems like they'll never end) you are not a real supporter at all. We are not in financial trouble and there is no reason why we cannot win a flag in Melbourne. I'm sorry mate but if you really want the club to sell it's soul just so you can have success a bit sooner you are a selfish bastard with no real passion for St Kilda.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As far as I can see, the idea of St Kilda moving to the Gold Coast is a high risk proposition.

The previous AFL team there failed completely.

There is a serious possibility that the team won't actually get to play on the Gold Coast for several years.

There isn't an entirely suitable ground.

St Kilda isn't exactly a basket case right now.

Like Demetriou and co, I reckon the Gold Coast makes most sense for a club which is struggling for support: the Kangaroos or even perhaps the Demons.

But not us IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
karnaby
Club Player

degruch wrote:
karnaby wrote:1 - I think it would improve our chances of success because the afl will actively help the club to succeed - they're interested in the whole idea of expansion because they see that it will increase revenue. Does anyone honestly think that whatever club ends up playing on the GC that the league won't do all sorts of favours for them?
But I don't believe anyone is interested...not the local population, or the local government, or especially, the Brisbane Lions! This was the case with the Adelaide Rams...no-one cared. If there is not instant success on the field, the opportunity to build a small local following will disappear fast. Support amongst traditional fans will crash. If the club proves unsustainable, the AFL will cut and run.
karnaby wrote: 2 - Saints could possibly win a flag in Melbourne but we're not looking like it at present and the way cycles seem to operate it looks like it will be quite some time until we're anywhere near the top of the ladder & in a position to have a real chance of a flag.
Not at present, but Port Adelaide and Brisbane 'rebuilt' in a short period of time, there's no reason why we can't too. Not real convinced by cycles.
1 - I think the/a club will likely prosper on the GC, it might take a fair bit of time but I don't really think whatever team plays there will fall over completely
2 - I really do not think that the afl will "cut & run" Besides IF it was us that went there I would expect our admin to make sure the terms were favourable & for the long term
3 - Cycles were an easy way to express myself, BUT the way we're going at present I don't see a rosey future in the near term

karnaby
Club Player

TassieJones wrote:
karnaby wrote: From over here I will admit that it is easier to think of relocation being a viable alternative as against those of you in Victoria who get Saints dished up to them ~16 times a year.
Mate I've lived in Hobart all my life and have seen the Saints play maybe 8-9 times in the past 5 years and I still have enough passion for our club that I don't want it to die and give it's colours and motto to some bastard child club on the Gold Coast, why don't you? Are you from the Gold Coast, is this what this is about?
If you really want my opinion I firmly believe that relocation to the Gold Coast should be number 1 item on the board's agenda. Frankly I don't think that it will ever happen because in all reality we've got far too many supporters who would prefer to see a long draw out "heroic" struggle that ultimately led to our failure rather than a pragmatic shift.
So essentially you are a sook who cannot handle the fact that we haven't had much success. I don't care how much money you've given the club if you can't hang tight through the rough times (even if it seems like they'll never end) you are not a real supporter at all. We are not in financial trouble and there is no reason why we cannot win a flag in Melbourne. I'm sorry mate but if you really want the club to sell it's soul just so you can have success a bit sooner you are a selfish bastard with no real passion for St Kilda.
1 - I live in WA
2 - I do not see it as death. I simply see it as relocation
3 - You can shove your smarmy labels right up your clacker. Who the f*** are you to judge whether I can or can't "hang tight" purely on the basis that I support the serious CONSIDERATION of an idea that you seem too emotive to be prepared to evaluate dispassionately. Just for your information gob off - I have supported the club for well over 40 years. I know full well what I'm saying is unpalatable for many but I see the basis for that idea to permanently guarantee our future rather than face the prospect of going to the league cap in hand at some future stage begging for the bastards help.