The clean out we have to have

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

milney044
Club Player

Geez our season must be over to be talking about trades and delistings in Round 10 :? I guess the next few weeks will confirm it..
Anyway.. come years end i'd say its time for a clean out and i can see potentially 12 players leaving this club yet it's highly unlikely to get rid of this many so yes, we'll still have 6 duds who shouldn't be getting a game.

But first, you need to actually PLAY players before you make judgement...so just BLOODY PLAY MINI, FERGO AND GWILT and see if they're worth keeping.
I'd say it's time to say goodbye to Raph and Blake, they've been around long enough now, Raph's had bad luck with injury but that's life im afraid, you can't hold on forever. And Blake well, he might have an engine but lets face it he's not a footballer.

And realistically Milne should be 22nd picked every week, right now he's probably about 14th which indicates the amount of GOPs we have running around. And regardless if he's leading goal kicker, 22 goals at the end of round 9 is very servicable for a small forward and someone on his salary.
I'm more concerned about Schneider who i was very excited about at the beginning of the year but has been fairly disappointing.

The only positive is it's only round 10 so these players on thin ice have enough time to show us their worth. Lets hope we see a couple of games from Mini and Fergo to give us some sort of indication.

*Also trying to understand why Montagna and Gram, who played their best years last year, have failed to impress this year. So far though, who exactly has impressed this year??

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I have always been a bit fascinated how gwilt hasnt come on after that great pressure final he played in adelaide in 05. Go figure.

To the top
SS Life Member

McQualter gave one indication that he could play at AFL level, when he turned someone inside out and got into the corridor with the ball, then disposing accurately to a leading forward.

Little things that say someone has something.

But that was it.

And he was de-listed at the end of 2007.

Ferguson, as I have expressed elsewhere, and as someone else concluded better than I can, is a KPP player in a mid-fielder's body.

Can play KPP forward and back in the VFL very adequately, but does not bring that as a flanker at AFL level, because he does not have a flanker's aptitude.

Gwilt the same as Ferguson. Does not have the "zip" of a flanker, and does not have the size for a KPP player, although having filled in at full-back last year.

On the other side of the ledger, due to the dearth of taller defenders, R. Clarke's 189cm frame has been used on larger attacking players from opposition teams.

Yet he is a flanker come mid-fielder.

Someone concludes that we should get games into "Mini", "Fergs" and Gwilt, and jettison R. Clarke.

The rationale is that "Mini", "Fergs" and Gwilt have not had a chance but R. Clarke has been on the list for a few years (with injuries, but that is his bad luck) and is useless.

This is hopefully not the thinking of the Football Department.

Once we start reverting to "Mini", "Milney", "Bakes", "Fergs" to describe these players, we are in trouble because the only icon player deserving of an occolade of recognition by other than his correct name is "Harves".

The rest of our list have to earn the adulation of the supporter base - and our team performances show they have a long way to go.

As I say, the structure for a team for 2009 is already there, and to quote Frawley, we are only 3 or 4 players off - but they have to be special players who can fill the structure gaps we have.

Let's see if we can trade off "Milney" and "Bakes', both about 28 years of age, both with 150 games under their belts?

Let's see what currency they have in the market.

"Mini", "Fergs" and Gwilt will have none - along with the others I have listed (again with apologies to L. Fisher).

It is a dog eats dog business.

As is all business!

Shaggy
Club Player

But before we delist Mini, Ferg and Gwilt we should give them a chance.

And not when it suits us but when they are showing form.

Promote them when they get a BOG or close to at Casey.

If they fail then fine delist them but I don't think any of them have had a proper chance (Mini nearly but last year he was crucified as a tagger).

We talk about Brooks and Watts being failures but IMO they were not given a proper chance. Murray & Possum did have their chances and failed.

To the top
SS Life Member

For what it is worth, I also think we "burnt" both Watts and Brooks.

I know for a fact that Neil Craig had very high wraps on Watts and that Brooks was a work in progress at Port Adelaide (doing his apprenticeship at North Adelaide) - and the offer was just too good particularly given (then) Primus, Lade, Brogan and Ackland on their list.

Big guys with significant footy skills do not grow on trees.

Both had significant injuries.

Neither got the opportunity to play for St Kilda in the positions they should have been played in.

Sometimes just a little bit of luck goes a long way!

Shaggy
Club Player

To the top wrote:For what it is worth, I also think we "burnt" both Watts and Brooks.

I know for a fact that Neil Craig had very high wraps on Watts and that Brooks was a work in progress at Port Adelaide (doing his apprenticeship at North Adelaide) - and the offer was just too good particularly given (then) Primus, Lade, Brogan and Ackland on their list.

Big guys with significant footy skills do not grow on trees.

Both had significant injuries.

Neither got the opportunity to play for St Kilda in the positions they should have been played in.

Sometimes just a little bit of luck goes a long way!
I am glad you think the same because there is not many of us :D .

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The clean out we have to have

To the top wrote:Firstly, I would seek to retain Harvey because he is still one of our most valuable players, if not the most valuable.

But the following I would de-list:-

L. Fisher - Form has stagnated.
Dempster - Typical of the type we have recruited - previous club had it right
Geary - Indicative of the types we have drafted recently. Not up to it.
Jones - Same as Geary
Fiora - As per Dempster
C. Gardiner - As per Dempster
Gwilt - Same as Geary
Milne - As per Dempster
Gehrig - Self explanatory. No longer an AFL footballer.
Ferguson - Had it right the first time
Rix - As per Dempster
Birss - As per Dempster
Baker - Same as Gehrig.
McQualter - Had it right the first time
I would get rid of the Clarkes as well. Raph because he's a VFL standard player at best. And trade X.Clarke because he's to injury prone and isn't a reliable investmen. Also get rid of Blake, not AFL standard horrible decision maker and poor skills.

I hope to god the Stkilda footy club has the guts to make the right moves now to prevent our future from being a misery. Must clear our these shocking players.