Sack Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:....hes been snapped up for a seniorrolesinc he left cause he learnt so much under the Ex Warnambool fella...... :roll:
Maybe we should get Gary Lyon?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
meher baba wrote:I know few on here will agree with me, but I still reckon I'm right.
Dumbest post of the year.
It would have a long way to go to match the endless garbage from you and B4E and kaos theory and several others last year about how much better we were going to be under Lyon when you hadn't a clue as to what sort of coach he was going to be.

Guess what: he's a hair's breadth away from being history. The media has begun to turn on him, the next thing we'll hear is that the Board has full confidence in him, etc., etc....

Who would you suggest we bring in to replace him when, as he almost inevitably will, he gets dumped? Have you a better suggestion than Bundy?

:roll: :roll:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:The media has begun to turn on him, the next thing we'll hear is that the Board has full confidence in him, etc., etc....
lol!! The dreaded "board has full confidence in the coach" statement.

Then everyone finds out the easter bunny is actually fictional!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote: Do we want to go back to trading our 1st round picks for the Brooks n Watts of the world, or taking Raph as a 1st round pick which is exactly what this group did to us, noy to talk about Penny and Sammy 5 year contracts, McGough :oops: :oops:
Do we want to go back playing preliminary finals, having 100 point wins, winning against the likes of the Pies and Dogs in a canter, seeing the likes of Kosi, Gram, G Train, Milne, Leigh Fisher, Joey and other used to their best effect, having some players stationed permanently inside the forward 50 to capitalise on turnovers, having teams actually being worried about upcoming games against us rather than seeing us as being as soft as butter?

I certainly do.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
ghostoftomwills2

yipper wrote:
congorozides wrote:
ghostoftomwills2 wrote:Possible Candidates..

Nathan BUCKLEY (too soon)
Michael VOSS (too soon)
Kevin SHEEDY (too late)

Others...

Mick GATTO (well connected. would instill team-work)
Molly MELDRUM (the music guy or the carlton back pocket?)
Chopper READ (inject some hardness)
Steve, the bloke who coaches my sons U9's (does a very good job im told)
The bloke that swears heaps on that tv cooking show (yes - he gets the job done)

Outsiders but heartwarmers...

Plugger LOCKETT (legend)
Carl DITTERICH (ditto)
Robbie MUIR (take no crap from the opposition)

i added some comments. i love the list.
hard to know what a coach is like unless you are a player i reckon. i assume harves must rate him or would not have come back. same for fraser.
Exactly.

I reckon (FWIW) that our biggest issue is Mental Toughness. RL has not been able to do anything about it and GT struggled with this as well. I think the gameplan, the talent are ok - it's just having that never say die, killer instinct that a Hamill, Powell possessed. There is really only Ball, Hayes, Roo and Maxie of the current bunch - along with the Harvs, who can stand tall when it gets tough. We twice surged to a 15 point lead against the Pies - and each time we looked set to go on with it. But the Pies clawed their way back through determination, toughness and mental strength. It is the missing link - the coach has to find these tough players and get them into the side. Armo is the new breed - he will be ok, Big Gardi is ok to - but we have to get the likes of Dal, Joey into the truly elite bracket by having them believe they cannot be beaten, WILL NOT be beaten - get that arrogance, they have everything else, they are superb footballers - they need mental toughness, killer instinct - thrash your opponent. Harvs could do it - thrived on it. Hamill especially so. Get that and Ross Lyon will coach a premiership team.
Agree Yipper. Just read Alistair Lynch's book and the section on the Lions rise is terrific. They managed to turn things around basically as a result of Matthew's insistence upon not only every man beating his opponent, but every man's ability to believe that his team mate would beat their opponent. Mental toughness. If It Bleeds It Can Be Killed. I want to see some hard nosed spirit back in this team.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Teflon wrote:....hes been snapped up for a seniorrolesinc he left cause he learnt so much under the Ex Warnambool fella...... :roll:
Maybe we should get Gary Lyon?
At least hed have a higher "belief cloud" although "exiting him in" may be tougher....

But ahh well........we can always go back and coach good old Warnambool and pretend that we'll move aside when someone, anyone, more credentialled comes along.....only to never really intend to... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Teflon wrote:
meher baba wrote:I know few on here will agree with me, but I still reckon I'm right.
Dumbest post of the year.
It would have a long way to go to match the endless garbage from you and B4E and kaos theory and several others last year about how much better we were going to be under Lyon when you hadn't a clue as to what sort of coach he was going to be.

Guess what: he's a hair's breadth away from being history. The media has begun to turn on him, the next thing we'll hear is that the Board has full confidence in him, etc., etc....

Who would you suggest we bring in to replace him when, as he almost inevitably will, he gets dumped? Have you a better suggestion than Bundy?

:roll: :roll:
I reackon your a "hairs breath" away from nuts...lets give you a try me-he-babble-lots.

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Do we want to go back playing preliminary finals, having 100 point wins.

I certainly do.
Well I would like us to actually succeed not embrace losing finals as some sort of success.

I dont care if we make a PF, or we dont make finals. All the same to me unless we win the flag.

Nothing else is success.

Nothing.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
meher baba wrote:Do we want to go back playing preliminary finals, having 100 point wins.

I certainly do.
Well I would like us to actually succeed not embrace losing finals as some sort of success.

I dont care if we make a PF, or we dont make finals. All the same to me unless we win the flag.

Nothing else is success.

Nothing.
spot on!

Amazing what constitutes success for some...

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I certainly do.

Nothing else is success.

Nothing.
spot on!

agreed...its a joke that people on here think that success is going deep into september by only winning a final

joke

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
JeffDunne

You can't win a flag if you don't make finals.

Accepting failure is worse than actually failing.

Making excuses for it is acceptance.

Those that embrace the "better bottom than finishing second" mentality are doing both.

What is really pathetic though, is when people would rather lose than win because they fear disappointment. These people usally end up supportig individuals rather than a club. That way it's easier to justify their lack of courage.

mischa
Club Player

Given this club's history I would rather play in finals than not. If Mark Thompson or Mark Williams had of been at St.Kilda both most likely would have been sacked before they had a chance to win a flag. But their respective clubs held their "nerve", stability reigned and the rest is history.

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I certainly do.

Nothing else is success.

Nothing.

spot on!

But surely if we don't make finals - which half the competition does - then you are not even being competitive.

If we are not competitive we won't make money. Who's going to pay for the 300 man football department then?

Already supporters are voting with their wallets...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure everyone would 'like' us to 'succeed'.

It's how you respond when don't that is the difference.

It's just laughable how loser football supporters puff out their chests and proclaim 'I don't accept mediocrity!' as they they sit on their fat arses on the couch at home eating pies.

What do you do if you child doesn't win a race at school?

Tell them they're shiit and send them off to boarding school?

Only 1 club wins the flag. It's quite often not the best team either.

15 other clubs, represented by the best footballing talent and led by the best football brains and the most experienced people in AFL football in the world - fail.

'Accepting mediocrity'? I call it accepting reality.

Teflon says 'it's amazing what constitutes success for some'. Well, for mine it's seeing my child smile when I walk in the door.

Football is a sport. A hobby. A lifestyle.

Whether or not the Saints win or lose, does not change my perception of success. It just makes me happier for a couple of days if we win, and shiitty for an hour or so if we lose.

Huffing and puffing about 'success is only winning a flag, nothing more!! We should not accept anything less than winning a flag' is just weird.

1 club wins it.

15 don't.

1 club wins a flag every 12 months. There are 16 clubs, soon to be 18.

Do people seriously think that everything is a waste of time if the Saints don't win a flag? Is that what following footy is all about?

Why go every week? Why come on here and talk about it? Why not just pick up the paper on the Sunday after the GF and see if we won or not?

Surely the rest simply doesn't matter if winning the flag is the only form of success?

Why not lobby the AFL for a Premier League situation where the top team wins? Why have a finals series at all? Hell, why even have a H&A season?

If as a footy supporter, you cannot see that being in the top 4 teams in the comp, and still being able to watch your team play in the last fortnight of the season as a form of success, I really feel sorry for you.

One, because you're lying. Otherwise you wouldn't take any pleasure from a H&A win. You wouldn't take any pleasure from watching Harves baulk 3 guys and hit Roo on the chest lace out.

And secondly, because following footy is about more than just winning the flag.

Leave the 'we won't accept mediocrity' to those in positions to control it.

But please, as lard arsed couch potatoes stop with the chest beating 'I WON'T ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY!!' garbage.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:You can't win a flag if you don't make finals.

Accepting failure is worse than actually failing.

Making excuses for it is acceptance.

Those that embrace the "better bottom than finishing second" mentality are doing both.

What is really pathetic though, is when people would rather lose than win because they fear disappointment. These people usally end up supportig individuals rather than a club. That way it's easier to justify their lack of courage.
rodgerfox wrote:I'm sure everyone would 'like' us to 'succeed'.

If as a footy supporter, you cannot see that being in the top 4 teams in the comp, and still being able to watch your team play in the last fortnight of the season as a form of success, I really feel sorry for you.

One, because you're lying. Otherwise you wouldn't take any pleasure from a H&A win. You wouldn't take any pleasure from watching Harves baulk 3 guys and hit Roo on the chest lace out.

And secondly, because following footy is about more than just winning the flag.

Leave the 'we won't accept mediocrity' to those in positions to control it.

But please, as lard arsed couch potatoes stop with the chest beating 'I WON'T ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY!!' garbage.
Beautifully put both of you. Encompasses nicely what I think every time I see a post endorsing tanking instead of playing to win, or dismissing the success of '04 and '05.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

Well it looks like we just abandon the finals and premierships and play pretty football to keep some punters happy on the forum.

Personally, I feel empty when we don't make the finals (happened too many times with the Saints), finals time is a great time of year and to me in any sporting comp I have played, there is an ultimate finale, an ultimate goal for you and your team's effort and that's what we work all season for, not just to run around and have fun like you would as kiddies every weekend.

Have look at some of the club stubby holders which have premierships printed on them -only one entry for the Saints, but no heading for "Nice to watch".

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

One of the most bizarre posts i have ever read, however i will try to respond
rodgerfox wrote:I'm sure everyone would 'like' us to 'succeed'.

quite

rodgerfox wrote:It's just laughable how loser football supporters puff out their chests and proclaim 'I don't accept mediocrity!' as they they sit on their fat arses on the couch at home eating pies.
who said anything about mediocrity. that is a degree, you either succeed or fail. We have succeeded once in our existence
rodgerfox wrote:What do you do if you child doesn't win a race at school?

Tell them they're shiit and send them off to boarding school?
And the relevece of this to a football club is? You cant distinguish between your family anf your support for a footy club??? :shock: :shock:

How strange.

rodgerfox wrote:Only 1 club wins the flag. It's quite often not the best team either.
subjective claptrap. Hows this for an answer. Yes they are. Just as subjective and just as spurious.
rodgerfox wrote:15 other clubs, represented by the best footballing talent and led by the best football brains and the most experienced people in AFL football in the world - fail.
rodgerfox wrote:t;rodgerfox"]Accepting mediocrity'? I call it accepting reality.
The reality is that 15 clubs failed.

rodgerfox wrote:Teflon says 'it's amazing what constitutes success for some'. Well, for mine it's seeing my child smile when I walk in the door.
Good for you. Again the relevance to the conversation on this thread?

rodgerfox wrote:Football is a sport. A hobby. A lifestyle.
Thank you Captain Obvious.
rodgerfox wrote:Whether or not the Saints win or lose, does not change my perception of success. It just makes me happier for a couple of days if we win, and shiitty for an hour or so if we lose.
But that is the whole point. It is your perception. Your values. However you cannot accept that anybody else will have a different perception. You want to thrust your values and your reality onto others who dont agree.
rodgerfox wrote:Huffing and puffing about 'success is only winning a flag, nothing more!! We should not accept anything less than winning a flag' is just weird.
What is weird is that you are so rigid in your thinking. You cannot accept an alternative point of view. Anyone who expresses it to you is a "rectum" or a "scrotum".

Anybody who has more information than you is "bizarre" or 'laughable" (as you derisively insulted B4E because he went to the GT hearing)

What is weird and bizarre is to think that success in football terms is occasionally making the finals and then harking back to those failures over and over and over again.
rodgerfox wrote:1 club wins it.
success
rodgerfox wrote:15 don't.
rodgerfox wrote:t;rodgerfox"]1 club wins a flag every 12 months. There are 16 clubs, soon to be 18.
15 soon to be 17 FAIL

rodgerfox wrote:Do people seriously think that everything is a waste of time if the Saints don't win a flag? Is that what following footy is all about?
Assumption. Who said it was a waste of time.
rodgerfox wrote:Why go every week? Why come on here and talk about it? Why not just pick up the paper on the Sunday after the GF and see if we won or not?

Why not? I am the eternal optimist and I love my football club. I will love it when one day they succeed.
rodgerfox wrote:Surely the rest simply doesn't matter if winning the flag is the only form of success?
Can you predict the future? You watch your team in the hope they will succeed, The so called success you go on about is in the past. It is hindsight, it is irrevelant.

rodgerfox wrote:Why not lobby the AFL for a Premier League situation where the top team wins? Why have a finals series at all? Hell, why even have a H&A season?
Why have finals? So you can make a GF and win the flag.

I
rodgerfox wrote:f as a footy supporter, you cannot see that being in the top 4 teams in the comp, and still being able to watch your team play in the last fortnight of the season as a form of success, I really feel sorry for you.
I watch my team play in the last fortnight of the season in 2004 and 2005.

FAIL. FAIL.
rodgerfox wrote:One, because you're lying. Otherwise you wouldn't take any pleasure from a H&A win. You wouldn't take any pleasure from watching Harves baulk 3 guys and hit Roo on the chest lace out.

You are incorrect. You have no idea what others think or feel or how anyone supports their club. You have a very rigid left brained view and thinking patterns,

Very intolerant of others and their views and values. Very disturbing indeed.
rodgerfox wrote:And secondly, because following footy is about more than just winning the flag.
Who said it wasn't?
rodgerfox wrote:Leave the 'we won't accept mediocrity' to those in positions to control it.
Who said that BTW?
rodgerfox wrote:But please, as lard arsed couch potatoes stop with the chest beating 'I WON'T ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY!!' garbage.
Laughable. You keep quoting something that wasn't even written.

You seem very confused, and very angry. Why are you so stunted in your acceptance of other views.

Your subjective conclusuion drawing based on incorrect assumptions is quite sad and actually quite disturbing.

I feel sorry for you and your inability to open your mind.

OK let the torrent of abuse commence.

This usually follows someone who puts the blowtorch to the belly of a RodgerFox rant 8-)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Well it is pretty laughable Tool4Aeva actually went to the GT court case. haha, no life right there me thinks.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:One of the most bizarre posts i have ever read, however i will try to respond.....
Please don't call my posts 'bizarre'.

It's very hurtful.

I'll be forced to run and cry to the mods if you persist.

Thank you.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:One of the most bizarre posts i have ever read, however i will try to respond.....
Please don't call my posts 'bizarre'.

It's very hurtful.

I'll be forced to run and cry to the mods if you persist.

Thank you.
No response Rodger?

Hmmm - typical.

FTR it was and is one of the most bizarre post I have ever read. Equating children in a footrace to the AFL premiership, then not allowing anyone to have values or opinions to yours. If you do you are - in your words "lying".

It is very disturbing that you can be so intolerant toward others opinion

That you dont answer other than a sarcastic froth is just more evidence of the bankruptcy of your whole confused and strangely angry post.

If you think getting to the second last hurdle and then falling over is success, good luck to you. Nobody can deny you your lifes values and opinions. However dont be upset when logic and sense is brought into the argument and your blathers are shown up for what they are.

Carry On. 8-)

Lance or James??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Teflon says 'it's amazing what constitutes success for some'. Well, for mine it's seeing my child smile when I walk in the door.
I feel sorry for the kids.... :lol:

Couldnt be bothered reading the rest......I mean "school sports and boarding schools....."...hmmm..not my scene....will leave that to you "big boy"... :lol:

What a load of shyte.

WORST POST EVER...and theres some stiff competition from Babble and jeff so thats no mean feat - not to mention Dodgys previous " we MUST rebuild as the sky is falling post at end of 06"

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I certainly do.

Nothing else is success.

Nothing.

spot on!

But surely if we don't make finals - which half the competition does - then you are not even being competitive.

If we are not competitive we won't make money. Who's going to pay for the 300 man football department then?

Already supporters are voting with their wallets...
so using that logic.....lets slip into 8th each year so we keep gutless fickle supporters happy so we can say "yeah but we made it to 8th"?

Nup shove 8th up your clacker. I'm after a flag and anything else in this game is SECOND prize for which there isnt one.

ANY supporter that claims that by being happy to just "make finals" they arent accepting mediocrity is full of shyte IMO.

Im more than happy to keep contributing as a PAID UP MEMBER to my club as long as I know the attempts (either immediate or in developing) at a flag arent just about lame assed competition for 8th spot and that we ARE building for the ultimate in future.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Well it looks like we just abandon the finals and premierships and play pretty football to keep some punters happy on the forum.

Personally, I feel empty when we don't make the finals (happened too many times with the Saints), finals time is a great time of year and to me in any sporting comp I have played, there is an ultimate finale, an ultimate goal for you and your team's effort and that's what we work all season for, not just to run around and have fun like you would as kiddies every weekend.

Have look at some of the club stubby holders which have premierships printed on them -only one entry for the Saints, but no heading for "Nice to watch".
Good post.

I also havent seen the Swans Premiership stubby holders that say "Ugly Flag"

ahhh..there really is some prima donnas on thios thing...

“Yeah….nah””
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: so using that logic.....lets slip into 8th each year so we keep gutless fickle supporters happy so we can say "yeah but we made it to 8th"?

Nup shove 8th up your clacker. I'm after a flag and anything else in this game is SECOND prize for which there isnt one.

ANY supporter that claims that by being happy to just "make finals" they arent accepting mediocrity is full of shyte IMO.

Im more than happy to keep contributing as a PAID UP MEMBER to my club as long as I know the attempts (either immediate or in developing) at a flag arent just about lame assed competition for 8th spot and that we ARE building for the ultimate in future.
Personally, I couldn't care less about stubby holders. They can print what they like on them.

I'd like to win the premiership. Failing that, I'd rather finish 8th than 9th. As far as fees go, I'll keep paying as long as I'm getting entertainment out of being a fan, however I may gain it. I like footy, and it so happens that the team I barrack for is the Saints... I don't go out and play every week, and I've really got no impact on what goes on in the middle, so I don't get a lot of say in whether there mediocrity or not.

People come to the footy for different reasons. If it makes people feel superior to somehow believe they're unnaccepting of mediocrity, good on them.

But I wonder how they've maintained their sanity with the Saints. We find a lot of ways to deliver it. Generally when we're trying to show how unnaccepting of it we are. There is nothing mediocre about the increase in suffering I imagine it must create... and we've all had our share of that with the Saints, so again, good on them.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If finishing 8th is by your definition a succesful season - then good for you.. :wink:

Its not mine.

An 8th place this year to me is mediocre and places us in a position where we tread water and can do little about it.

“Yeah….nah””