No more leaks to SS???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:You've got to love the AFLPA. Instead of trying to get the players a better share of the hundreds of millions of dollars in the game, Gale and co. are much more interested in nothing player welfatre issues like this one. Luke Ball has a blog, and he's on the AFLPA executive. I doubt Ball, or any other player for that matter, is unaware of any of the ciriticisms levelled at them. If a player suffers from depression, it's far more likely to be a result of their own disappointment than as a result of an emotional rant by a Saintsational random.
Has Gale bought into the debate?

Luke Ball is a nice guy, that shines through in his Blog.

The AFLPA is not just there to win the players more money. How can you be sure that it is a nothing player isssue. A few players have come out recently and publicly admitted to suffering from depression.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:How can you be sure that it is a nothing player isssue. A few players have come out recently and publicly admitted to suffering from depression.
There's no link between fan forums and players suffering from depression. A player's own performance is likely to have much more impact on their welfare than what a bunch of anonymous nobodies have said about them. I imagine most players would be aware of what's said about them whether they log on here or not.

The AFLPA can't prevent players from becoming depressed. They can't stop people on internet forums speaking their mind about players. If it's fine for one of their executives to have a blog, then it should be fine for others to have one. Criticism is part of the job of a professional athlete. The AFLPA should be helping players deal with that, not hiding them from it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

We are famous.

Seriously, i am positive most youg guys especially would have given in to the temptation of having a looksy on this type of forum.

In our defence, everyone gets a serve.

Captain, Coach, Best Players, Worst Players.

And most of what is said is already known by the club and player.

News to CJ that he is a poor kick?
News to Gram that he is soft?
News to Riewoldt that he can't kick straight?
News to GT that he had a lack of coaching experience and thus led St Kilda on $500,000 a year without reaching a GF? (There said it)

There it is, coach, past coach, superstar player, decent player and fringe player are all on the firing line.

Everyone gets dished some.......But overall, it would effect some mentally, if they were exposed to this after every game.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Pippa Grange wrote:"And the footy players, unless they personally take some course of investigation, have got absolutely no comeback."
bulls***.

Raph Clarke, Jason Blake, Jason Gram, Fraser Gehrig and anyone else who cops some flak has the ultimate final say.

They get to pull on the boots and prove us right or wrong. If they play well and prove themselves, that's the last word.

And FFS - we pay membership fees that drip feed these players vast sums of money. We are entitled to a return. If we are not getting a return, we are entitled to criticise.

Going by the amount of traffic this site pulls in (and by the amount of people at the club who read every single bit of information that quality posters write), we are playing an extremely important role.

There's fire and brimstone when things aren't going right, as there should be. Because heaven knows the spineless media outlets - who just want sound bites and empty quotes to fill their quotas - won't ask the tough questions a select few print journos and hardcore fans will.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: News to Riewoldt that he can't kick straight?
i think thats news to everyone but you, Spinner.......

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote: News to Riewoldt that he can't kick straight?
i think thats news to everyone but you, Spinner.......

;)
8-)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:How can you be sure that it is a nothing player isssue. A few players have come out recently and publicly admitted to suffering from depression.
There's no link between fan forums and players suffering from depression. A player's own performance is likely to have much more impact on their welfare than what a bunch of anonymous nobodies have said about them. I imagine most players would be aware of what's said about them whether they log on here or not.

The AFLPA can't prevent players from becoming depressed. They can't stop people on internet forums speaking their mind about players. If it's fine for one of their executives to have a blog, then it should be fine for others to have one. Criticism is part of the job of a professional athlete. The AFLPA should be helping players deal with that, not hiding them from it.
I know sometimes it can be a fine line between criticism and bullying and I think the if you are making statements such as the ones used by Spinner above then that could be labelled accurate observation/criticism, but I think we all have seen posts that are just down right personal or sail close to the wind of something that would get you a whack in the mouth at a pub.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

So...you reckon they might just field a team of Raph Clark's this weekend?

Thompson4
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:I for one would not have a problem with being a poster with a known identity. Why, because I always try to conduct myself on the internet like I do as real person in life.
It's not that - it's the fact that once you're 'outed' (ie: known), that's it. Circumstances depend, yes, but...

...I guess that's why a banning system is in place on sites such as this, BigFooty, etc --> anonymity is fine, as long as the line is towed.

Personally, I love sites such as these - compliments the Sun/Age/Aus/Inside Footy/AFL Record and the electronic media, a la television and the radio. It provides the balance, the grassroots beneath the mainstream. I know what I prefer - a dose of both.

Andrew Thompson - The most underrated player in the AFL
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

have the ALFUA suggested the same to their members as the AFLPA?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Robbo is a tossbag for just reporting what the AFLPA has said and not adding his own viewpoint on such an interesting matter.

Anyway, what's happend to Davo27??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: No more leaks to SS???

saint66au wrote:At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught blogging or leaking valuable information to the websites.
wonder if this effects any of the guys who post on here? hope plugger's okay. haven't heard much from him today.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 22 May 2008 1:32am, edited 4 times in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Robbo is a tossbag for just reporting what the AFLPA has said and not adding his own viewpoint on such an interesting matter.

calling someone a tossbag is bullying and also is illegal.

I know Robbo and he is actually a nice guy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Robbo is a tossbag for just reporting what the AFLPA has said and not adding his own viewpoint on such an interesting matter.

Cairnsman, what are you on?

Tossbag, come off it, how soft is this world if you can't say that if what you say is actually half true?

From what I've read in the Hun, and heard on SEN, I think Robbo is not the brightest spark in Journo land......but then again, he has a few mates!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Cairnsman, what are you on?

Tossbag, come off it, how soft is this world if you can't say that if what you say is actually half true?

From what I've read in the Hun, and heard on SEN, I think Robbo is not the brightest spark in Journo land......but then again, he has a few mates!
Any fool can criticise but it takes real intelligence to understand. I read that in some book once when I was on something.

The guy is very successful. You obviously read and listen to him, that is why he is successful.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Your on a roll in this thread Cairnsman,i wonder if we could get it renamed..

Cairnsman's Soapbox........

Lighten up laddie,the Hun was short of stories so they printed that crap,the
dude who wrote it has probably been scouring the fan sites to gauge the reaction to his expose.....

I see Robbo every Sunday on Game Day,unimpressive is an adjective that springs to mind.Robbo is an over reaction waiting to happen........

Look how carried away he got when he wrote and spoke about McNamee booked to go to Wimbleton in June to play Veterans.......

I cant take him seriously......

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: No more leaks to SS???

saint66au wrote:At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught blogging or leaking valuable information to the websites.
the newspapers would be happy with this as they are probably getting jack of being trounced on news by the fan forums and blog sites.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:It was never a good idea though that he participate on the forum....as it would not be for say Lyon's wife....Westaways's son etc etc..
For the record, I am not Lyon's wife. :wink:
Shame Killa. Ive been called Butters son.......I'll take the cash though.... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Your on a roll in this thread Cairnsman,i wonder if we could get it renamed..

Cairnsman's Soapbox........

Lighten up laddie,the Hun was short of stories so they printed that crap,the
dude who wrote it has probably been scouring the fan sites to gauge the reaction to his expose.....

I see Robbo every Sunday on Game Day,unimpressive is an adjective that springs to mind.Robbo is an over reaction waiting to happen........

Look how carried away he got when he wrote and spoke about McNamee booked to go to Wimbleton in June to play Veterans.......

I cant take him seriously......
It's a bit off track but Robbo's genre is 'Pub Banter' journalism. Obviously he is not at the HS because he played AFL but he did play footy as a younger and much fitter man. Whether you like him or not, people get into his position because either their name is Buckley or because they have talent.

Sorry for sounding precious on the subject but I think you will agree that some of the posts on here are a little off at times. For example, when we lost the final to Melbourne in 2006 I posted after the game something like 'oh well it's only footy, can spend more time with my wife and daughter now' Suffice to say someone posted something in response to my post that more than likely would have got him a smack in the head, possibly several.

Oh and by the way my point about the word ‘tossbag’ was meant to be dramatic for illustrative purposes.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:
Pippa Grange wrote:"And the footy players, unless they personally take some course of investigation, have got absolutely no comeback."
bulls***.

Raph Clarke, Jason Blake, Jason Gram, Fraser Gehrig and anyone else who cops some flak has the ultimate final say.

They get to pull on the boots and prove us right or wrong. If they play well and prove themselves, that's the last word.

And FFS - we pay membership fees that drip feed these players vast sums of money. We are entitled to a return. If we are not getting a return, we are entitled to criticise.
Beautifully put. Even those who don't buy memberships, but attend games or watch on TV. It's being mass market entertainers that makes it such a lucrative profession... a profession at all... if you don't wat to hear the individual voices, don't get to close.

Going by the amount of traffic this site pulls in (and by the amount of people at the club who read every single bit of information that quality posters write), we are playing an extremely important role.
They do? We are?

Why?

I'd have thought the site was great for the AFL, and AFLPA because it allows us to take our footy addiction/obsession to a higher level, assuring the continued success of the industry. I can't imagine what benefit the club derives from reading our stuff though.
There's fire and brimstone when things aren't going right, as there should be. Because heaven knows the spineless media outlets - who just want sound bites and empty quotes to fill their quotas - won't ask the tough questions a select few print journos and hardcore fans will.
Seriously.

I wonder if there isn't room for a footy show on a station like ABC, whoc have no need of having the AFL establishment on side since they'll never get the rights. They could give an honest review of what's going on in the game and media, without worrying about not getting the interviews as a result because they're not pandering the the establishment in the first place. Should the show succeed at all, they would get them, because the clubs would want the promotion.

AFL media is such an inside club that from a news perspective, there's no doubt of the value of a place like this to fans.

But seriously, if the players can't hack it, they should follow the example of posters who can't hack it, and log off .

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford