Saints playing funeral songs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Im not surprised at the thread instigator again revelling in an attack on a coach1 yr and 8 games in and then stepping back to pathetically add "Im not suggesting anything about Lyon though......." :lol:

How many "positive" St Kilda articles you ever put up on SS Jeffery?

NONE. Doesnt go with your agenda which changes fortnightly like your jocks you crustacean.

That aside....the article makes one massive assumption - Lyon is instructing the team to play like Sydney - I dont believe he is. Yes playing a good qtr of football here or there proves not much but are people really suggesting a side that slammed on 8 goals to have the Dogs punch drunk were then instructed by their coach to start "bottling things up" ??????...f@rk me just think of that logic for second....cant see it. Or just maybe....OUR players couldnt sustain the effort required?? Adhering to a game plan is not all physical - there's a fair amount of mental discipline required.....do we have that?

I do agree however we have so far underperformed and ultimately Lyon will be judged on results and so he should be but any supporter tearing up his membership cause he wasnt entertained from the Collingwood game (where overall our intesnity/effort wasnt to bad....our execution failed us..) should take a hike and go support Collingwood.

As DAC said best - its not time to be calling for Lyons heads (as some lazy, wimpish tw@ts have done on here already...). It is perhaps time for a reality check on where our sides at and where we can improve becaus to me the nucleus of a top side is still young and there - nows the time to build on it.

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:How many "positive" St Kilda articles you ever put up on SS Jeffery?
Find me a "positive" article and I'll post it.

Can I ask you, how many "positive" posts do you make on SS when you're not abusing someone or telling them how they should support the club?

EDIT: No need to search Teffers - I found one just for you!

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote:Yeah I see a pattern! We cant even string a half of footy together, let alone 4 quarters!! Pinning your hopes on this is insane!!! RL is a dud, sorry to say.
So the pattern is that we can't sustain the effort to keep playing attacking attractive footy, not that we can't (and don't) play it all.

There's a difference between the two ...

Or are you saying you didn't find those quarters I mentioned entertaining either? If so, then why are you watching footy at all? Most sides play like that these days (although some execute it better than we've been doing so far).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We are usually very good in the first quarter and when we have scored heavily in those quarters the opposition obvioulsy change things up at first break and this is when we have problems. Without looking at stats in the first quarter when we have scored heavily and second quarter has been poor.
Is this due to opposition changing their game plan against us or our players going into a negitive mindset for sum reason? Whatever the reason it is happening to often to just be bad luck.
I certaintly dont have the answers but it is a common theme.

JeffDunne

It's got to be mental plugger. And I don't think it's just the second quarter - it's whenever we get on top and have built a lead.

Too many players start playing like millionaires and leave too much up to too few. Once the opposition gets a run on, those same players then go into their shells.

IMO we started doing this is 2006, perfected it in 2007, and are now trying in 2008 to fix it.

Maybe the players have become so accustomed to and conscious of it that it's almost become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints playing funeral songs

saintsRrising wrote:
If not..it is just TG's opinion...and is as I said lazy journalism.

The laziest part is where he describes our record of 16 wins, 14 wins then 14 wins (after losing Aussie Jones and Luke Penny mind you) as a 'pronounced' slide.

F***, I'd hate to see what calls going from 14 wins to 11 wins.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:what successes ? Alves coached us to a losing G/F hardly a success and GT coached us to losing Prelims ....... only one successful coach at St kilda and thats Yabby Jeans ... the fact we concider the GT era successful says alot about the mentalitiy of our suporters .
I actually think the fact that alot of supporters don't consider being a top 4 side or a GF side as successful is why we're who we are.

We don't win the flag, we jump up and down and have hissy fits, and sack everyone. Start again. Quick fixes. 'Take the next step'.

For once, just once, I'd love to see the club embrace the fact that only 1 club wins the flag each year. Only one. 15 other very good clubs don't.

What seperates us from them, is that we all crack the shiits and sook like little desperate kids and sack everyone.

Instead of seeing the glass as half full, and acknowledging that by finishing in the 4, you are better off than 12 other clubs, we keep looking at what we aren't, instead of what we are.

Loser mentality St Trav.

I ask you like I ask the other losers who don't consider anything other than a flag to be a 'success' - is Robert Harvey a failure?

Should we sack him because he's been with the club for 20 years and is still a failure?

Losers.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Spot on Rodger...I really don't think some people realise how hard it is to win a flag, everything thing has to be exactly right..everything.
Being a top 4 side is being more succesful than the other 12 at the time and having a real chance. The club has a habit of trying to fix something that isn't broken.
ATM...something is broken.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:It's got to be mental plugger. And I don't think it's just the second quarter - it's whenever we get on top and have built a lead.

Too many players start playing like millionaires and leave too much up to too few. Once the opposition gets a run on, those same players then go into their shells.

IMO we started doing this is 2006, perfected it in 2007, and are now trying in 2008 to fix it.

Maybe the players have become so accustomed to and conscious of it that it's almost become a self-fulfilling prophecy?
hehe..reading this post made me think of that classic Coodabeens phone call from "Digger", bemoaning tha fact that footy fans arent what they used to be.

He'd walked out of the G after a a Collingwood loss and overheard a couple of Pies fans say "well at least we saw a good game". This caused Digger apoplexy, as his defintion of a good game is..

1st Qtr, Collingwood jumps em early and gets about 6-7 in front

2nd Qtr. Put the game beyond doubt and totally ruin it as a contest

3rd Qtr. Grind the oppositions noses in it...and..

Last qtr..GO RIGHT ON WITH THE BUSINESS!!!!!!

Its been a while since we've had a game like that *sigh*

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
JeffDunne

lol

It's a while too since we've had a footy lead-in show as good as the Coodabeens.

When did footy become so serious and the media so ugly?

congorozides
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:Spot on Rodger...I really don't think some people realise how hard it is to win a flag, everything thing has to be exactly right..everything.
Being a top 4 side is being more succesful than the other 12 at the time and having a real chance. The club has a habit of trying to fix something that isn't broken.
ATM...something is broken.
i agree. anyone who finishes top 4 has had a darn good year. after that its a raffle depending on injuries. but top 4 has to be consideered a success.

im just worried we are heading for 9th this year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:lol

It's a while too since we've had a footy lead-in show as good as the Coodabeens.

When did footy become so serious and the media so ugly?
A sign of the times, can anyone remember when the word "Stress" became a household word?

JeffDunne

congorozides wrote:im just worried we are heading for 9th this year.
I'm worried we're going to be happy finishing 9th.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
congorozides wrote:im just worried we are heading for 9th this year.
I'm worried we're going to be happy finishing 9th.
Not me..draft selections are better further down.......I will grow my eyebrow completely and become a true Blue Carlton supporter.
I will have to do without my morals and sense of honesty which shouldn't be too hard as they seem to have managed easily enough. :P :wink:

JeffDunne

There's already too many ahead of us in the queue Fireman. To tank from here would rip whatever spirit is left in the group.

If we were to finish bottom 4 I reckon Mr Westaway might courier a DCM over to the coaches box too.

My fear is we'll finish 9th, find reasons to justify it, and nothing will change except another opportunity lost.

That's what I meant by being happy with 9th.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:There's already too many ahead of us in the queue Fireman. To tank from here would rip whatever spirit is left in the group.

If we were to finish bottom 4 I reckon Mr Westaway might courier a DCM over to the coaches box too.

My fear is we'll finish 9th, find reasons to justify it, and nothing will change except another opportunity lost.

I knew exactly what you meant, just trying to make light of a very ordinary situation ,unfortunately a situation I have seen many times before. Getting harder as time goes by to take too seriously.
Been around long enough now to know when the mix is right, or at least capable of a shot at the big one. ATM we have no chance, a side with poor leg speed, a game plan that on occasions mystifies not only the fans but the players( the coach admits they aren't dancing to his tune yet) couple that with good old chestnut (injury to key players) some players seem to have totally lost the plot, Gram , Kosi , Montagna, Raph, Gherig with Dal Santo putting in spasmodic appearances.
Add the group of second tier players who aren't setting the football world on fire (Birss, Rix, C.Gardiner etc)and we have a mix that wouldn't make the most fool proof cake mix rise.
We have a list , that in the right hands could improve and be in the mix, I think we all know that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:There's already too many ahead of us in the queue Fireman. To tank from here would rip whatever spirit is left in the group.

I knew exactly what you meant, just trying to make light of a very ordinary situation ,unfortunately a situation I have seen many times before. Getting harder as time goes by to take too seriously.
Been around long enough now to know when the mix is right, or at least capable of a shot at the big one. ATM we have no chance, a side with poor leg speed, a game plan that on occasions mystifies not only the fans but the players( the coach admits they aren't dancing to his tune yet) couple that with good old chestnut (injury to key players) some players seem to have totally lost the plot, Gram , Kosi , Montagna, Raph, Gherig with Dal Santo putting in spasmodic appearances.Add the group of second tier players who aren't setting the football world on fire (Birss, Rix, C.Gardiner etc)and we have a mix that wouldn't make the most fool proof cake mix rise.
We have a list , that in the right hands could improve and be in the mix, I think we all know that.
So please, in future , could posters on here refrain form calling me negative , just take it on board.
Time to start planning for next season, new coach? and some new players ( which we should be able to get in an early pick.)
This side is souless and lacks any urgency, I watched Melb play today...they were fair dinkum...our side isn't.
Downright embarrassing.
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 25 May 2008 7:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Been around long enough now to know when the mix is right, or at least capable of a shot at the big one. ATM we have no chance, a side with poor leg speed, a game plan that on occasions mystifies not only the fans but the players( the coach admits they aren't dancing to his tune yet) couple that with good old chestnut (injury to key players) some players seem to have totally lost the plot, Gram , Kosi , Montagna, Raph, Gherig with Dal Santo putting in spasmodic appearances.Add the group of second tier players who aren't setting the football world on fire (Birss, Rix, C.Gardiner etc)and we have a mix that wouldn't make the most fool proof cake mix rise.
So please, in future , could posters on here refrain form calling me negative , just take in on board.
Time to start planning for next season, new coach? and some new players ( which we should be able to get in an early pick.)
This side is souless and lacks any urgency, I watched Melb play today...they were fair dinkum...our side isn't.
I for one am sorry, am now fully on board