Connex Announcement - what happened?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

*BaLLy iS BeST*
Club Player

still not sure what the real story is here...but at least the person in question is apparently ok?

but argghhhh. it was so frustrating. i wasnt able to finish work before 7...so rushed to train n was expecting to get into game just after the start. got a 7.15 train...it only got to richmond at about 8.10. by this point i was already pissed off.
then train sits there for ages and all the driver has to say is 'i have no information, trains are severely delayed'.
and connex announcements at richmond were impossible to hear. and connex staff walked along the platform saying 'anyone going to the footy get a tram'.
oh yes..thanks for your assistance....HOW THE HELL DO I GET TO THE FOOTY FROM HERE??!!
i had no idea. ended up cabbing it with two random girls n this really really angry guy...not my preferred option...but wanted to be at the game by half time.

there were saints n bombers supporters standing on the side of the road all the way from richmond to telstra dome, people were giving up and going home.
it was shocking by connex. they had no solution and barely helped anyone at all.
i got there with 5 minutes to go before half time. :evil:
lucky we won i say. haha.

i will miss you bally. but i guess you just didn't want to be here.

heres hoping you are regretting that choice on that last day in september 2010 - go saints.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I ended up missing most of the first quater due to the incident. I ended up walking from Flinders St Station with my best mate (an Essendon fan) who was comming with me.

The way Connex handels emergency situations is an absolute joke, not just tragic things like death or injury but acts of nature aswell. No information given as to why trains are delayed or cancelled, no alternative transport and no help. But I digress from my whinge.

We eventually got there and had a great night and getting home was less of a hassle than I thaught ti would be. It is a shame and very sad what happened and I know connex staff do the best they can. At least the buskers didnt get moved on this week! ;)

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Prodgers
Club Player

They probably stopped annoucing the cause of the problem after they annouced one morning at Caulfield:
The 8.02 City Loop will not run today as errr we don't errr have a driver qualified to drive the train
Fair dinkim :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote: It is a shame and very sad what happened and I know connex staff do the best they can.
As I posted a bit earlier as an update.. the person was not someone seeking self-harm themselves...but someone fleeing police.
SaintsRrising wrote:
Update:

The goss I have now been told today by someone that works at Connex is that the individual was someone fleeing from Police....rather than someone seeking self-harm.
The same Connex person says this type of thing happens a fair bit and that the operators find it a real pain in the backside.

It often causes problems...but this time caused chaos.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:This bloke has brought the train network to a virtual standstill...and whatever his state of mind thats what it boiled down to. So..what if the game is delayed by 15 mins or 30 or whatever? You want some copycat clown thinking he can try this every Friday night? The AFL did the right thing starting the game on time imho
Ok, so the copycat thing could be an issue, isn't it then a matter of using a bit of nous to assess if it's a copycat or a mentally unstable person etc?

If the smart cops (read experienced perhaps?) are on their mettle, can't they work this out?

If just one copycat is caught, and issued with a huge fine, I don't think it will continue to be an ongoing issue.......just look at how well they've done stopping people running onto the ground at footy/cricket games with the $6,000 fine? It has worked quite well.

Remember, nearly half the crowd missed a hell of a lot of the first quarter - it was significant for a lot of people.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saint66au wrote:This bloke has brought the train network to a virtual standstill...and whatever his state of mind thats what it boiled down to. So..what if the game is delayed by 15 mins or 30 or whatever? You want some copycat clown thinking he can try this every Friday night? The AFL did the right thing starting the game on time imho
Ok, so the copycat thing could be an issue, isn't it then a matter of using a bit of nous to assess if it's a copycat or a mentally unstable person etc?

If the smart cops (read experienced perhaps?) are on their mettle, can't they work this out?

If just one copycat is caught, and issued with a huge fine, I don't think it will continue to be an ongoing issue.......just look at how well they've done stopping people running onto the ground at footy/cricket games with the $6,000 fine? It has worked quite well.

Remember, nearly half the crowd missed a hell of a lot of the first quarter - it was significant for a lot of people.
...and when people DO run onto the ground, the relevant TV network is given strict instructions by the police not to show them..same thing..dont draw attention to them unduly

did you notive there was nary a mention of he incident in the Saturday papers..same deal, Police media Liasion have a deal with the papers.

If however the train problem had been a technical or logistical one not involving people on the tracks, perhaps there is a case for delaying the game slightly..and if that was the case Fri night who knows?..they might have given it some thought

I'm just glad I'm a habitual early arriver..but I fully understand its not that easy for many :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Richter
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:If the smart cops (read experienced perhaps?) are on their mettle, can't they work this out?
You reckon ANYONE can figure out if a bloke is on the roof of a train station is a just an ordinary crim. or mentally unstable? Forensic psychiatrists often find it difficult to tell the two apart having known individuals for years......... so what hope a policeman through a megaphone......You need to get a clue sp.....

Surely it should be obvious that any person silly enough to do such a thing is NQR in some way....... it is clearly impossible to tell exactly what the motivations of a person in this situation might be UNTIL you can get them down. Which the services involved managed to do safely. I say again, job well done to all involved for this outcome.

At any rate criminals have a markedly increased rate of suicide over the general population - suppose the likes of you couldn't really care less - as long as you get to the footy on time...... :roll: :roll:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

On the train I boarded, the driver announced over the PA that there was a delay due to an "trespasser" being on the tracks between Richmond and Flinders St. My first reaction was that it was a suicide. But they guy didn't end up topping himself afterall? Hope that was the outcome.

Good to hear the cops told off the idiot who told him to jump. In some respects, that person is more messed up than the guy thinking of ending his own life :roll:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Spoke too soon!

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Hurricane wrote: It is a shame and very sad what happened and I know connex staff do the best they can.
As I posted a bit earlier as an update.. the person was not someone seeking self-harm themselves...but someone fleeing police.
SaintsRrising wrote:
Update:

The goss I have now been told today by someone that works at Connex is that the individual was someone fleeing from Police....rather than someone seeking self-harm.
The same Connex person says this type of thing happens a fair bit and that the operators find it a real pain in the backside.

It often causes problems...but this time caused chaos.
Missed that, sorry.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum