Gehrig & Fiora out, C Gardiner & Armitage in - CONFI

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BelfastSaint
Club Player

C Gardiner and Armitage in for Gherig and Fiora ...Confirmed SEN ...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:armoooo could be in the mix for selection
needs a few more weeks at casey imo. make him earn his stripes
I doubt that.

Needs some serious gametime to see if he can cut it. Running around for the Scorps isn't going to prove much. Seeing that they did an article on the Saints homepage points to his selection this week
Sorry I'm too thick for you guys

Another opportunity awaits!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

As much as I love the idea of developing Gwilt, he is a definite must have out for the bombers. Last year, one of the turning points onthe game was a tackle young Davey did on him - the resultant goal made the margin twenty-seomthing when we still looked a chance to come back.

Happy with these rumours if they turn out to be true.

plumtire
Club Player

Gehrig Fiora out Charlie and armo in CONFI

:shock: Gosh the coach has found a pair of balls and shown some concern :evil:

midas_touch
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:As much as I love the idea of developing Gwilt, he is a definite must have out for the bombers. Last year, one of the turning points onthe game was a tackle young Davey did on him - the resultant goal made the margin twenty-seomthing when we still looked a chance to come back.

Happy with these rumours if they turn out to be true.
Gwilt will get delisted by seasons end. Very ordinary player, who is too small to be a kpp, yet too slow to be a flanker.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The teams as per the AFL website

ST KILDA v ESSENDON

ST KILDA
B: Matt Maguire, Max Hudghton, Jason Gram
HB: Sam Gilbert, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Sean Dempster, Luke Ball, Xavier Clarke
HF: Nick Dal Santo, Nick Riewoldt, Robert Harvey
F: Clint Jones, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne
Foll: Steven King, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna
I/C: Charlie Gardiner, Leigh Fisher, Jason Blake, David Armitage
EMG: Shane Birss, Michael Rix, James Gwilt

In: Gardiner, Armitage
Out: Fraser Gehrig, Aaron Fiora

ESSENDON
B: Jay Nash, Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher
HB: Henry Slattery, Patrick Ryder, Kyle Reimers
C: Brent Stanton, Jobe Watson, Ricky Dyson
HF: Tayte Pears, Adam McPhee, Andrew Lovett
F: Jason Laycock, Matthew Lloyd, Alwyn Davey
Foll: David Hille, Bachar Houli, Jason Winderlich
I/C: Angus Monfries, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Adam Ramanauskas, Andrew Welsh
EMG: Courtney Johns, Jason Johnson, Damien Peverill

In: Lloyd, Monfries, Welsh
Out: Sam Lonergan (hamstring), Mark McVeigh (hamstring), Damien Peverill

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

Probably the right decision - the forward lineup has not worked to its best recently and rather than waiting things to happen its good to see we are forcing changes

Now the question seems to be, will Fraser feature again in our team..

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

LaUrEnCe wrote:Now the question seems to be, will Fraser feature again in our team..
good question. i wouldn't be surprised if that is it ... a shame if it is because (imo) he still has something to offer.

he's been our leading goal-kicker since 2003 and the ability to kick them should never be underestimated.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
LaUrEnCe wrote:Now the question seems to be, will Fraser feature again in our team..
good question. i wouldn't be surprised if that is it ... a shame if it is because (imo) he still has something to offer.

he's been our leading goal-kicker since 2003 and the ability to kick them should never be underestimated.
would think he would be back vs port dont think its it

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i quickly becoming disillusioned with Ross, if it doesn't come off this week (which it probably will cos Essendon are no good) there should be a few questions asked

also, i don't see the point of dropping Gehrig for Gardiner (the poor mans Gehrig)

get ready to see Roo as our sole forward for a majority of the game, continually going up against 2 or 3 opponents, constantly getting smashed.....

good plan Ross :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bob__71
Club Player

If Fraser doesnt make it back ito the team it will mean kossie and roo have gone through the season without being injured....if he is happy to be part of something he is still a very valuable back up for our game plan

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i quickly becoming disillusioned with Ross, if it doesn't come off this week (which it probably will cos Essendon are no good) there should be a few questions asked

also, i don't see the point of dropping Gehrig for Gardiner (the poor mans Gehrig)

get ready to see Roo as our sole forward for a majority of the game, continually going up against 2 or 3 opponents, constantly getting smashed.....

good plan Ross :roll:
it probably will work and there will be a lot of back-slapping and self congratulations. but who is to say we wouldn't have won anyway.

bob__71
Club Player

he also played a valuable role in the early preseason allowing us to play the same gameplan with roo out of the side

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

I reckon Gwilt should be considered in the near future. If he can be encouraged to use his body a bit, he could given us a harder edge.
Serious question:

Is that just hope on Gwilt or have you actually seen some form at Casey this year to warrnt him pushing for senior selection?
Unfortunately I don't live in Melbourne ATM, so I can't go to watch the Scorps. I believe he had one strong game. Why I want him is that - if he can be bothered - he is capable of using his body to do some serious damage. We need somebody to lay on a few inspirational bumps and fire up our listless bunch. I don't think we have a single player in our top 22 who is capable of doing this.

Gwilt is not the fastest or most fabulously skilled player in the universe. But is Dempster??

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Richter
SS Life Member

I must say that last year when BJ and Goose went down that I thought that Gwilt did a fair job as a back-up defender. If he's shown the form for the Scorps to qarrant being named emergency then good on him. If, god forbid, either Max or Sam Fisher or Goose went down again he'd be a reasonable back-up option as key defender to take the 2nd or 3rd Tall/forward from the opposition IMO.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad Gehrig is out! He did NOTHING last week! But what makes me really glad is seeing Ross Lyon's got the balls to do it! Good stuff!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:also, i don't see the point of dropping Gehrig for Gardiner (the poor mans Gehrig)
How do you figure that?

Gardiner does everything you want from a leading forward except kick goals.
Gehrig can do absolutely nothing but kick goals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
The_Dud wrote:also, i don't see the point of dropping Gehrig for Gardiner (the poor mans Gehrig)
How do you figure that?

Sounds like the Dud is right then if you put it that way.

Saints_45
Club Player

One thing that I don't think has been highlighted on here is that the G-train has not laid one tackle all season. That's 3 games without a tackle. I understand he is a forward, however I think the G is at his best when he lays a bone crunching tackle, picks the ball up, plays on and kicks the goal.

It seems to lift the team and the supporters. Not sure if it is a mental or physical thing for him but I would hope this point has been raised with him and now its up to him to prove he is ready to apply himself. He might come back in next week or after the break however I do think once he proves himself right to RL and the team he will be back

If he is doing these things and putting on pressure then he is worth his hulking weight in gold. When he isn't all it is, is dead weight.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
How do you figure that?

and.....?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sax
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:

I reckon Gwilt should be considered in the near future. If he can be encouraged to use his body a bit, he could given us a harder edge.
Serious question:

Is that just hope on Gwilt or have you actually seen some form at Casey this year to warrnt him pushing for senior selection?
Unfortunately I don't live in Melbourne ATM, so I can't go to watch the Scorps. I believe he had one strong game. Why I want him is that - if he can be bothered - he is capable of using his body to do some serious damage. We need somebody to lay on a few inspirational bumps and fire up our listless bunch. I don't think we have a single player in our top 22 who is capable of doing this.

Gwilt is not the fastest or most fabulously skilled player in the universe. But is Dempster??
Dempster craps all over Gwilt!!! It was his first game of the season last week and I thought he went ok. Not fantastic, ok.
Gwilt's played 1 good game for the club and it just happened to be a final at AAMI stadium. Oh, one other thing, how many premiership medallions has Gwilt got? 1 less than Dempster!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig had to be dropped he was a liability last week and his record against quality backs proves this.

I could give a stuff about calling for game plan disasters just yet but what I am interested in seeing is where our Half forward goal options are gonna come from cause against Cats thats the biggest gap between both sides. I know what Roo/Kos will give.....what I wanna see is what Ball and others as genuine fwd options can produce AND if we have midfielders prepared to use OTHER options when we go forward.

Geelong aint predictable - we are.

Im also very interested to see where the impact on fwd pressure - we know Gehrigs got none so Id like to see X get a run up there at stages to give us some zip and a tackle that stick....isnt that right Milney?

“Yeah….nah””
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

sax wrote:Oh, one other thing, how many premiership medallions has Gwilt got? 1 less than Dempster!!!
What a stupid and totally irrelevant comment! :roll:

groupie1
Club Player

poor decision

Poor decision - Gehrig dropped for what Milne should, but doesn't do. He also takes, obviously, a key defender. People say he takes a key defender who can then run off him - but that's a poor argument.
Drop Gehrig, the opposition drops a key defender, chooses instead a smaller defender - the pace in forward line problem made even worse. Dumb move.
He has taken the heat for Milne's lack of pressure.
Fiora, Milne, L Fish, and Blake need to go.
Armo, M Gardiner, Baker, Schneider, CJ need to come in - and Ball to play forward with Schneider, alternating with CJ, X, and Harvs. 4 man forward set-up of Kosi, G, Ball/Harvey and Schneider/CJ/X.
Gehrig could play another few years - the A Lynch model.
Poor, poor short-sighted decision

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Milne is currently leading the goalkicking. :roll: