Can we win the Flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

No chance. We are a long, long way from being a genuine contender at the moment. Top 8 would be a good result.

To the top
SS Life Member

Despite the critical comment, if we have a bit of luck and can finish in the top 4, well, who knows.

I do not subscribe to the theory that we were nearly good enough in 2004-2006, because we need to have improved significantly from that time as have all the contenders.

The luck comes with a fair run with injuries, with a settled side over the last 10-12 weeks, with building confidence and with a couple of lucky wins adding to that confidence.

Once you get to the finals, anything can happen on the day.

I do think that we have a fixation on certain players (at least on this site, and they continue to be selected so you assume the selectors have a fixation as well - people will know who I refer to) where we have seen what we get and it ain't going to get any better.

Because these players are no longer 22 or 23 year olds with their futures ahead of them but are 27 to 29 year olds with their best already on show.

And they are not bringing anything to the side other than what we know.

The gears have to be changed.

These players have to be culled because, to be frank, they are not going to be players who lift to another level given the occasion of a GF.

There are not many of them, but there are a few.

Given some "tweaking" and some luck, we can be right in it when it counts.

Red
Club Player

We should have won the premiership in 2004. Simple we beat Port we beat

Brisbane. The problem is because we didn't win, we have tried to keep the

window open and it hasn't worked. We could have built a list around our core

group of players and be ready for another tilt.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The answer lies in one word – perfection. To beat the Cats you have to play as close to the perfect game as you can.
http://insidefootballonline.com/burke.html
On Saturday the Saints did not play flawless footy and got punished. I firmly believe the Saints have the cattle to worry the Cats; it’s just that they need to play a lot closer to their maximum to do so.
One thing is for sure. You can’t wait for the Cats to have an off day. That doesn’t look like happening soon so you are better off aiming for perfection than trying to win ugly.
Which will be the team to do it?
good read from burkey as usual.straight from his head and his heart.

and from another commentator:
There is no doubt the Saints need to plan things a bit differently if they are going to bridge the gap. The Cats are beatable, albeit a tall order.

Watching them strut their stuff on Saturday I couldn’t help but being extremely impressed and in a lot of ways envious of their circumstances. They are an awesome team and a pleasure to watch - it is going to be an interesting exercise to see who is going to challenge their reign

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:We should have won the premiership in 2004. Simple we beat Port we beat Brisbane.
You mean Brisbane, the team that beat us twice within 3 weeks by about 80 points?

If we beat Port, I think there would have been quite alot of very disappointed Saints fans the week after.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we will make the Grand Final and that means i lose the bet i have with a Roos supporter.......

If that is the case then Ross will have to tweak the list even more,perhaps more radically than was planned.Once the new teams are
in the mix it will be even harder to find the type of players we need.....

What type of players are they,probably ones that can sprint from one end of the ground to another a lot quicker than the current lot and can stiil kick the ball through the goal posts after quarter time even when they are knackered.......

:roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Richter
SS Life Member

The heart says yes, the head...... well... is not so sure. You can't get perfection, but we have so many flaws...... however, if Dal gets his top form back, Ball relearns how to kick, BJ becomes the damaging midfield master we so hope for, Goose gets back to his swashbuckling best, Gardi keeps on the park, the 3-pronged forward line fire......

If Ross and the team can completely get it....... well, you never know.

What I do know is if we don't get there in the next couple of years, then we have bugger all young players emerging..... what next? :cry:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Unfortunately, statistics are against us...there has been NO coach in the last 25 years (besides Joyce) that has taken his side to a premiership, that hasn't played in a GF side himself...

my les foote
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:Unfortunately, statistics are against us...there has been NO coach in the last 25 years (besides Joyce) that has taken his side to a premiership, that hasn't played in a GF side himself...
Is Brett Cook available?

in answer to the OP.

Yes!

Win it for HIM!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Not after the look of the last two performances...BUT...yes I think we can do it! n our last two games we were as unaccountable as I can remember! I'd like to think we're coming in like Seabiscuit :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!