How Ironic. The 'changing game'.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:It's not necessarily about being "fast" in the true sense of the word - as a physical attribute. It's the teams that MOVE the ball fast, look to play on at each opportunity, and play first-option football, they're the teams that are attractive to watch. They don't necessarily have a lot of players who are quick (i.e. Geelong; Ling, Bartel, Corey, Milburn etc.)
Interesting. The above comments made me cast my mind back to 1996 when we first went from second last in 1995 during the premiership race to first in the preseason cup against Carlscum with a bunch of enthusiatic, skinny kids who were prepared to push the ball into the open at all costs and outrun their oppo.

It wasn't until the balance of size and speed was available in the team during 1997 and the space between the ears of most players was filled with selfless acts and team spirit to realise theri dream that we could win the big prise. Unfortunately injuries bit us and the team confidence disappeared from halfway through the second quarter.

It seems the same with this side now that the team things aren't always maintained. A couple of injuries and our lack of midfield depth shows up a lack of speed, players no longer are able keep up the protection of the ball carrier, first options become quick (often wrong) decisions. Check out the confident Geelong, they are intuitive and instinctive given the knowledge that support is just close by.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:Gram is fast.

Sam Fisher is quick.

X Clarke is very fast.

Milne is quick.

Max is extremely quick.

Dal is fast.

Schneider has zip.

We're not slow.

We just play slow.
Sam Fisher is not quick but is a solids runner who gives his all.

Dal is not quick but can go reasonable distances at reasonable pace.

I have seen Milne ran down several times. He has some pace but is no super quick. Seen more as elusive.

Max has great closing speed on defenders. This makes him effective.

X has some pace but is not superquick. He is quite elusive at times to provide time to create.

Gram has some speed but still doesn't rate in straight line speed against most teams top 5.

Consider this, Joey chasing Woecjinski (spelling probably not right). W runs and bounces the ball and swerves around others in teh way to kicj a goal. Joey is one of the faster Saints but was losing ground here.

Saints are generally not quick. In fact the midfield is probably well on the slow side of the league average. We make up some difference with guys like Roo.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher is quick.

X Clarke is very fast.

Milne is quick.

Max is extremely quick.

Dal is fast.

Schneider has zip.

We're not slow.

We just play slow.
I 1000% agree with that.

Insert Gram and X Clarke into the midfield along with Montagna.....And thats one potentially quick f****** midfield.

Shaggy
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

Sam Fisher is quick.

X Clarke is very fast.

Milne is quick.

Max is extremely quick.

Dal is fast.

Schneider has zip.

We're not slow.

We just play slow.
I 1000% agree with that.

Insert Gram and X Clarke into the midfield along with Montagna.....And thats one potentially quick f****** midfield.
True that gives us a fast midfield but who is actually going to be able to get the ball in the first instance or stop the opposition if they get it. Luke Ball is severly underestimated by Saints fans whilst West is idolised by the Bulldogs fans.

bozza1980
Club Player

I can see the irony that we removed our coach to be more like the top teams ie Sydney and Adelaide as this was the style of play that would be required to win flags.

We bring in a coach straight from the swans and a game plan based on quick, long and direct football wins the flag.

It was also ironic that at the end of 2006 after St Kilda and Geelong were both dissapointing one club kept their coach and won a flag, one sacked theirs and went backwards.

All this said, we are only 26 games into Ross Lyon's reign, we have a 50% ratio and I think we are heading in the right direction towards our 2nd flag. What we need to do, is something we haven't been good at as a club and that is support the coach and give him the time required to give us the results we are all impatiently waiting for.

asiu

i'm a ....the best form of defence is attack type of guy

without any referance to gt,

make the others worry about 'our' style and 'our' strengths imo , by playing to them

momentum is where its at ......get going forward and keep going forward , more oppurtunities in our forward line than any one elses

with momentum comes belief , comes the roll of the dice our way , comes the scoreboard pressure ....and we play like winners and think like winners

we play slow ....i agree with that ......and we allow 'momentum' to be taken off us way to easily imo