Wayne Carey named football's greatest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Well for one Winmar and probably Harvs. Would have Plugger as our best followed by Doc and Stewie and they would be in my top 10 for the last 40 years. Couldnt have big Carl in the top 50 in last 40 years even though loved watching him play.
stinger wrote:big carl made all the players walk tall......a ruckman who averaged 15-20 possessions a game....before his time...i will ignore your comments about banger.... :roll: :roll:
plugger tell me you're taking the mickey out of stinger in reference to Robert Harvey.

He is the only REPEAT the only current player to make the list.

Would be interested to see your list by the way.....

Care to enlighten us with your wisdom?

Or are you just going to sit on the fence?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well for one Winmar and probably Harvs. Would have Plugger as our best followed by Doc and Stewie and they would be in my top 10 for the last 40 years. Couldnt have big Carl in the top 50 in last 40 years even though loved watching him play.
stinger wrote:big carl made all the players walk tall......a ruckman who averaged 15-20 possessions a game....before his time...i will ignore your comments about banger.... :roll: :roll:
plugger tell me you're taking the mickey out of stinger in reference to Robert Harvey.

If you bothered to read it Stinger had 5 Saints players in the top 10 for the last 40 years. I was saying I would have 3 in there which is probably to many as it is but I wouldnt have Winmar and probably harvs. Do you think we should have 10 players? Im sure you didnt have Harvs in your list either but I couldnt be bothered checking as it looks like you didnt check what I said.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If you bothered to read it Stinger had 5 Saints players in the top 10 for the last 40 years.

as i said...i must have forgotten a couple...or five..... :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If you bothered to read it Stinger had 5 Saints players in the top 10 for the last 40 years.

Bob Jones and David Winbanks?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Bob Jones and David Winbanks?

no i was thinking more along the lines of trevor barker and verdon howell.....

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

If you bothered to read it Stinger had 5 Saints players in the top 10 for the last 40 years. I was saying I would have 3 in there which is probably to many as it is but I wouldnt have Winmar and probably harvs. Do you think we should have 10 players? Im sure you didnt have Harvs in your list either but I couldnt be bothered checking as it looks like you didnt check what I said.
I can't usually be bothered with what you write these days, as most of it is vitriolic and sarcastic actually.
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Others like Len Thompson, Robert Flower, Chris Judd....close
Judd didn't even make it on the shortlist.

Considering Robert Harvey is the only current player in the list is a testament to him. Everyone blows smoke up Judd's clacker, but it's good to see Sheahan hasn't succumbed to an easy choice on including him.

Harvey broke the mould in terms of what it takes to become a premier on-baller. Pure gut-running, deals with taggers in a fair way - he just burns them off til they're at the point of exhaustion.

Who of the modern day on-ballers could possibly possess the stamina that Banger has provided - don't forget he used to have to knack of doing extra running after training around the streets.

imo Judd will never be as good as Harvey - he may get close though.

And hell yes I am biased but I don't care!

FWIW my top 20

1. Leigh Matthews
2. Gary Ablett
3. Wayne Carey
4. Ted Whitten
5. Tony Lockett
6. Polly Farmer
7. John Nicholls
8. Peter Hudson
9. Dick Reynolds
10. Bobby Skilton
11. Ian Stewart
12. Haydn Bunton
13. Malcolm Blight
14. Robert Harvey
15. Darrel Baldock
16. Kevin Bartlett
17. Royce Hart
18. Kevin Murray
19. Alex Jesaulenko
20. Greg Williams
No need for you to scroll backwards

Should make it easy for you to see I've included him.

FWIW, I have 5 players who have represented St Kilda in my Top 20

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:

I can't usually be bothered with what you write these days, as most of it is vitriolic and sarcastic actually.
TimeToShineFellas wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Others like Len Thompson, Robert Flower, Chris Judd....close
Judd didn't even make it on the shortlist.

Considering Robert Harvey is the only current player in the list is a testament to him. Everyone blows smoke up Judd's clacker, but it's good to see Sheahan hasn't succumbed to an easy choice on including him.

Harvey broke the mould in terms of what it takes to become a premier on-baller. Pure gut-running, deals with taggers in a fair way - he just burns them off til they're at the point of exhaustion.

Who of the modern day on-ballers could possibly possess the stamina that Banger has provided - don't forget he used to have to knack of doing extra running after training around the streets.

imo Judd will never be as good as Harvey - he may get close though.

And hell yes I am biased but I don't care!

FWIW my top 20

1. Leigh Matthews
2. Gary Ablett
3. Wayne Carey
4. Ted Whitten
5. Tony Lockett
6. Polly Farmer
7. John Nicholls
8. Peter Hudson
9. Dick Reynolds
10. Bobby Skilton
11. Ian Stewart
12. Haydn Bunton
13. Malcolm Blight
14. Robert Harvey
15. Darrel Baldock
16. Kevin Bartlett
17. Royce Hart
18. Kevin Murray
19. Alex Jesaulenko
20. Greg Williams
No need for you to scroll backwards

Should make it easy for you to see I've included him.

Good smart arse answer but again you didnt read it as usual. Harvs was 14th but not in your top 10. Try reading before posting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:With the exception of plugger no other player generated as much fear as lethal did in opposition sides, it was palpable (sadly even against saints players)
yeah, he was great. a champion. i'd have him no 2 behind plugger because lockett had a height and weight advantage.

lockett was a 6' 4" leigh matthews and they shared a similar deadly mindset when it came to goals.

no-one messed with either of them

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Where specifically did you say I had to have Harvs in my Top 10?

My list is of 20 players.

Once again, how about you put your toe in the water and come up with a list?

I'd love to see one!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:Where specifically did you say I had to have Harvs in my Top 10?

I'd love to see one!
I will give you my Saints players as I have the time to worry about others. Plugger 3-5, Stewie, Doc 5-10 Harvs 20-25. No other Saints player in top 50. Dont count Jezza as a Saints player. What I originally said is Stinger had to Saints players in the top 10 not top 50. I then said you didnt have Harvs on your list but I meant the top 10 of your list so you were actually agreeing with me by saying there were to many Saints players in the top 10 by having Harvs at 14 and not having Nicky in at all. Never once did I not want Harvs in the top 50.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:I will give you my Saints players as I have the time to worry about others. Plugger 3-5, Stewie, Doc 5-10 Harvs 20-25. No other Saints player in top 50. Dont count Jezza as a Saints player. What I originally said is Stinger had to Saints players in the top 10 not top 50. I then said you didnt have Harvs on your list but I meant the top 10 of your list so you were actually agreeing with me by saying there were to many Saints players in the top 10 by having Harvs at 14 and not having Nicky in at all. Never once did I not want Harvs in the top 50.
Fair enough plugger, apologies for the misunderstanding.

I did my Top 20 though based on what I genuinely thought.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

boys ..boys...

DrSaint

I know Brownlow votes don't necessarily mean anything. But surely the bloke who has polled the most would make a top 50 list. Gary Dempsey. I was young in the 70's so can't recall much of him, but he must of been an awesome player. Can anyone concur?
Just out of interest. Harvey needs 8 more votes to beat Dempsey. That's if you correctly half the two years Dempsey got double votes when they altered the system in the 70's. Will Harvs get them?

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:
TimeToShineFellas wrote:Where specifically did you say I had to have Harvs in my Top 10?

I'd love to see one!
I will give you my Saints players as I have the time to worry about others. Plugger 3-5, Stewie, Doc 5-10 Harvs 20-25. No other Saints player in top 50. Dont count Jezza as a Saints player. What I originally said is Stinger had to Saints players in the top 10 not top 50. I then said you didnt have Harvs on your list but I meant the top 10 of your list so you were actually agreeing with me by saying there were to many Saints players in the top 10 by having Harvs at 14 and not having Nicky in at all. Never once did I not want Harvs in the top 50.
No Winmar in your top 50? :shock:

Have you only been watching the Saints over the couple of years Plug?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'd love to see one!

Of all time no couldnt get him near top 50. Great player but there have 11000 so it isnt a slight on him. I would have Loewe ahead of Nicky. Did the brilliant and loved watching him and if that was the criteria maybe but wasnt consistant enough for me. I think he only won one B&F whilst at Saints

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'd love to see one!

Of all time no couldnt get him near top 50. Great player but there have 11000 so it isnt a slight on him. I would have Loewe ahead of Nicky. Did the brilliant and loved watching him and if that was the criteria maybe but wasnt consistant enough for me. I think he only won one B&F whilst at Saints
I think his game suffered at times from being in a weak team and having to plug every spot on the ground because of his versatility. However in that pre-season grand final we won against Carlton, I have never seen a player so completely cut an opposition to pieces.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:My Top 20 (as unbiased as possible!) 1980-2007

1. Carey
2. Ablett
3. Matthews
4. Lockett
5. Voss
6. Harvey
7. Hird
8. Dunstall
9. Brereton
10. G.Williams
11. Buckley
12. Blight
13. Barker
14. Platten
15. S.Madden
16. P.Matera
17. J.Brown
18. Daicos
19. Ricciuto
20. Judd
Gulp... can't believe I forgot Cuz. My favorite player ever!

Slot him in at 9 ahead of Williams... Judd out

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The only thing the crazed misogynist has remaining in his favour is the acknowledgement that the great Rob Harvey is the best midfielder he ever saw.

Other than that, back to your cell and lights out, King.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
footy_first
Club Player

where is judd...he's better than nathan 'over-rated' buckley.
hasnt sheehan seen marc or john murphy play?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

footy_first wrote:where is judd...he's better than nathan 'over-rated' buckley.
hasnt sheehan seen marc or john murphy play?

drought might not be over but we will be swamped by scumbag troll flogs judging by the above post......