Demetriou's Denials Don't Change The Facts - Today's Crikey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu

also tend to think that the '06 season draw was a lesson in 'cop this '

the six day breaks (2x 3 in a row , wasn't there? plus another) we had to cope with , plus the interstaters was a tough draw

then the 'easy' draw in '07 , looked like a reward to me

Huzzad
Club Player

Well I fail to see why people complain about interstate trips. Every single non-victorian team except for Freo has won a grand final, and they seem to travel more than us. So if they can do it, why should it matter how many interstate trips there are?

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:Well I fail to see why people complain about interstate trips. Every single non-victorian team except for Freo has won a grand final, and they seem to travel more than us. So if they can do it, why should it matter how many interstate trips there are?
When non-Vic clubs return home for their home games, they play a travelling side.

Victorian clubs don't.

Huzzad
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Huzzad wrote:Well I fail to see why people complain about interstate trips. Every single non-victorian team except for Freo has won a grand final, and they seem to travel more than us. So if they can do it, why should it matter how many interstate trips there are?
When non-Vic clubs return home for their home games, they play a travelling side.

Victorian clubs don't.
The only way that the AFL would be fair in terms of interstate games is if every club moved back to Victoria and it became the VFL...I don't think that is going to happen.

I guess my point is bickering about the draw is not going to win you games. And do you really think that the draw has something to do with our onfield success? Essendon 2001? Geelong 2007? They seemed to cope pretty well with flags and minor premierships and everyone's biggest "draw favourite" suspect Collingwood still can't win a flag?

Maybe I'm being a bit of a simpleton, but it does kinda seem like pointless bickering to me.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
The only way that the AFL would be fair in terms of interstate games is if every club moved back to Victoria and it became the VFL...I don't think that is going to happen.
I strongly doubt it will happen either.

Huzzad wrote: I guess my point is bickering about the draw is not going to win you games. And do you really think that the draw has something to do with our onfield success? Essendon 2001? Geelong 2007? They seemed to cope pretty well with flags and minor premierships and everyone's biggest "draw favourite" suspect Collingwood still can't win a flag?
Geelong have the same advantage that all other non-Melbourne clubs get.

Collingwood can't win a flag because they are no good. However the 'draw' ensures they play finals. Which is precisely what the AFL wants.

It's not a competition anymore. It's a business. It's designed to make people rich. Not to run a competition on behalf of the public to decide who is the best football team in the land.

It's worth noting also that Essendon played the GF at their home ground.
Huzzad wrote: Maybe I'm being a bit of a simpleton, but it does kinda seem like pointless bickering to me.
In a sense it is pointless in terms of the AFL doing anything about it. But in terms of footy forum discussion, it is certainly worth debate I think.

Huzzad
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Huzzad wrote:
I strongly doubt it will happen either.

Huzzad wrote: I guess my point is bickering about the draw is not going to win you games. And do you really think that the draw has something to do with our onfield success? Essendon 2001? Geelong 2007? They seemed to cope pretty well with flags and minor premierships and everyone's biggest "draw favourite" suspect Collingwood still can't win a flag?
Geelong have the same advantage that all other non-Melbourne clubs get.

Collingwood can't win a flag because they are no good. However the 'draw' ensures they play finals. Which is precisely what the AFL wants.
They have missed a fair few actually...
It's not a competition anymore. It's a business. It's designed to make people rich. Not to run a competition on behalf of the public to decide who is the best football team in the land.
Well to a point, yeah. But it is definatly not as bad as the sporting world in the US. Look at the money dictating clubs over there. They are actually called franchises. And the teams move or are expanded pretty much every 3 years (especially in the NHL) I believe there are only 6 original teams left in the NHL out of the 30 currently competing. All the others have moved or were expansion teams. Similar thing have happened in the NBA and the NFL. I am glad the AFL does not have GMs, Owners and Coaches to answer to that weild as much influence as they do in the states. Yes there is alot of corperate money in the AFL, but it could be worse. ALOT worse.

It's worth noting also that Essendon played the GF at their home ground.
Didn't they also play 5 or so home games at the dome? Cause that was the same year as they opened what was then Colonial...
Huzzad wrote: Maybe I'm being a bit of a simpleton, but it does kinda seem like pointless bickering to me.
In a sense it is pointless in terms of the AFL doing anything about it. But in terms of footy forum discussion, it is certainly worth debate I think.
Well I think it is definatly worth debate. I guess I'd just like to see some facts put forward on how the draw actually affects onfield performance. Maybe someone can explain a bit more.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Victorian clubs don't.

I guess my point is bickering about the draw is not going to win you games. And do you really think that the draw has something to do with our onfield success? Essendon 2001? Geelong 2007? They seemed to cope pretty well with flags and minor premierships and everyone's biggest "draw favourite" suspect Collingwood still can't win a flag?

Maybe I'm being a bit of a simpleton, but it does kinda seem like pointless bickering to me.
who do you really barrack for.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Huzzad
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Huzzad wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Victorian clubs don't.

who do you really barrack for.....
The Hicksville Trailer-Trash...why, who do you barrack for?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The draw is not rigged to hurt the Saints as people suggest.
Bullshyte.

Please explain what happend to our draw for the 2006 season whereby we were "given" a bonus 2 interstate games (from 5 to 7) at the last minute, purely coincidental to GT's comments re umpires.....
That is rubbish. If that was the case we were only having 3 interstate games plus 2 of our choice in Tassy. Even the pies get more than 3 interstate.

If true please show me the article or did someone say it on the internet so it must be true.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
The Hicksville Trailer-Trash...

Carlton eh??????

Huzzad
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Huzzad wrote:
The Hicksville Trailer-Trash...

Carlton eh??????
Yep cause my favourite Carlton player is Fraser Gehrig!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

you can dream....

Huzzad
Club Player

stinger wrote:you can dream....
Anyway.... I am pretty sure this thread has been hijacked enough by personal attacks, so how about we get back on topic?