St Kilda-Gold Coast Proposal - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Key comment from the article:
The Saints envisaged playing games at Carrara until the AFL had a team permanently based there.

In other words, this is a short-term thing on our part, and would be for 2 years or 3 at the most.

If we could make $3 million bucks over the next three years, it would help the club enormously.

Now OWTS....(with tongue firmly in my cheek)...your support is not at all colored by moving to the GC shortly (I think you said you were off?) ??? :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I must have missed something...

Can anyone explain to me why WC, Freo, PA or the Crows would be willing to play one of their home matches against the Saints in Qld??

Apart from PA, the other three are all financially strong and so extra revenue is not a concern to them.

Playing an extra game in Qld ona short term a basis is not going to help them in any significant way to grow their membership base.

WC and the Crows already have many many thousands of people that they cannot accomodate as members anyway as their grounds are too small.

So while they have little to gain fincially or membersghip wise (and indeed on giving up a packed stadium od pre-sold reserved seats a lot to lose with 3 of the clubs) they havea lot to lose in terms of putting at risk 4 points by giving away a genuine home ground advantage.

Also remember that with Freo and WC they are not just hampering the chance of the 4 points aginst us....but the following week too as the extra travel to Qld return would affect them the following week as well. They would be affecting 8 premierships points......to help us. Dream on!!!

Be under no illusion....the Saints playing more games in Qld would mean:

*Home St Kilda matches in Qld..

*Matches against other Melbourne teams...ie Dogs, Roos, Dees..clubs that are desperate for cash

*Maybe just maybe the Lions home match being played at Carrara (as the Lions may wish to try and build their supporter base on the GC strip).

WC, Crows and Freo will not want to play "their" home games in Qld...why would they????

EXACTLY

If this goes ahead it might end up costing us a premiership, by not maximizing our games at HOME at the DOME

The previous administration moved home games to tassie which probably cost us a higher position on the ladder, as we ended up dropping games we would probably have won at the Dome

The new board who must have had their heads in the sand at the time and it would seem, still do, are now proposing a repeat performance of this by mnoving HOME games to the Gold Coast

This does not maximize our chances of a top four finish and the best chance to win a premiership

What revenue streams would a premiership deliver?

Do not compromise our tilt at a premiership for some short term gain

I would have thought that the Tassie venture would have been very instructive as the previous administration pulled out of there for exactly this reason

Now the new board who have been there all of five minutes are looking to repeat the mistakes of the past

FAIR FLOWERING DINKUM, are they completely wet behind the ears?
Last edited by barks4eva on Tue 04 Dec 2007 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

4theluvoftheclub wrote:
bob__71 wrote:why would we get paid for the crows freo or west coast or port moving their home games to the gold coast...and why would those teams be willing tomove their home games????
For the same reason the AFL moved them to play games in Tassie. They want game development in Qld, so it requires teams to accept that reality.

Has not happened.

Only Victorian based clubs have moved home games...including Geelong to Melbourne venues.

In all cases the AFL did not move any of them...the individual clubs chose themselvees to move games and were not forced to do so. The AFL may of course helped to make it more attractive to so.

No AFL club has any real say in where their Away games are played.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I supported FF because they said that they would do EVERYTHING possible to give the Saints their best chance of winning a premiership.

Playing say the Lions twice in Qld is not compatible with this.

WC or Freo are not going to give up their home games to play in Qld....so forget any rubbish about that being a possible advantage.

If we play say the Lions on a warm humid day..and then go down by apoint to the Pies a week later then I am going to be very very p*ssed off...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I must have missed something...

Can anyone explain to me why WC, Freo, PA or the Crows would be willing to play one of their home matches against the Saints in Qld??

Apart from PA, the other three are all financially strong and so extra revenue is not a concern to them.

Playing an extra game in Qld ona short term a basis is not going to help them in any significant way to grow their membership base.

WC and the Crows already have many many thousands of people that they cannot accomodate as members anyway as their grounds are too small.

So while they have little to gain fincially or membersghip wise (and indeed on giving up a packed stadium od pre-sold reserved seats a lot to lose with 3 of the clubs) they havea lot to lose in terms of putting at risk 4 points by giving away a genuine home ground advantage.

Also remember that with Freo and WC they are not just hampering the chance of the 4 points aginst us....but the following week too as the extra travel to Qld return would affect them the following week as well. They would be affecting 8 premierships points......to help us. Dream on!!!

Be under no illusion....the Saints playing more games in Qld would mean a mix of:

*Home St Kilda matches in Qld..

*Matches against other Melbourne teams...ie Dogs, Roos, Dees..clubs that are desperate for cash (if we scarifice one home game and another club another that would mean two matches.

*Maybe just maybe the Lions home match being played at Carrara (as the Lions may wish to try and build their supporter base on the GC strip).

Giving up 2 home games could mean say 4 games at the GC if the Lions agree.

WC, Crows and Freo will not want to play "their" home games in Qld...why would they????
I don't think that those teams will play their home games at QLD, I just think that if we have 11 away games, 8 of them will be against Victorian teams and 3 will be against interstate....
It is great for us IMO!!

Roo and Gilbert are Gold Coasters and they could help us establish a strong support base up there.... this would be great for the club IMO...
Virtually we have the same amount of I/S games however we actually have somewhat of an advantage up there and we make money out of it, I would be over the moon if the deal went through...

Pro:
More Money
We lose interstate disadvantages to atleast 3 I/S clubs
More Members
Somewhat of a second homeground
If we were to play TD teams there a neutral game would be turned into an advantage

Con:
We lose a bit of our soul
We could play at the MCG/ Skilled more than at the Dome
If we play a MCG team at the GC instead of the Dome a home ground advantage turns into slight home ground advantage

Feel free to add to the list....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

heck less games played on the carpark maybe bangers could go round one more time in 2009 as well

from what i read into it we will only have to play in perth once and adl once will play brissy in GC (so effectively a neutral ground ) play the kangas there and maybe play the power or the dockers up there . if the ground quallity is up to standard why not give it a bash playing freo in QLD and getting $$$$ for it is better then playing them in perth and getting smacked by the umpires due to the crowd assisted frees or playing them in melb to a half full house

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:I supported FF because they said that they would do EVERYTHING possible to give the Saints their best chance of winning a premiership.
Sucked in SrR.............

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
I don't think that those teams will play their home games at QLD, I just think that if we have 11 away games, 8 of them will be against Victorian teams and 3 will be against interstate....
It is great for us IMO!!

How?

It is only possible if other Melbourne teams give up their home games to play at Carrara against us...

If it is other teams home games....there are no rivers of cash for us...as these will belong to the home team.

Pro:
More Money ...Only if you give up home games.

We lose interstate disadvantages to atleast 3 I/S clubs . rubbish...only the Lions would be willing to play a home game on the GC. why would WC, PA, Freo or the Swans consider it???

More Members . maybe

Somewhat of a second homeground We would not play their often enough and against the Lions they would have the edge.

If we were to play TD teams there a neutral game would be turned into an advantage . Why??? We play very well at Docklands and not so well at most other venues. Playing the dogs or the dees at carra rather than Docklands would be to our great disadvantage.

Con:
We lose a bit of our soul

We could play at the MCG/ Skilled more than at the Dome Skilled???Not likely to play the cats at Skilled at all

If we play a MCG team at the GC instead of the Dome a home ground advantage turns into slight home ground advantage Why? Very very marginal at best

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

It wouldnt be 3 away games at the GC sRr, it would be 3 HOME games at the GC, in exchange for 3 interstate away games.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:It wouldnt be 3 away games at the GC sRr, it would be 3 HOME games at the GC, in exchange for 3 interstate away games.
Can you tell me why 3 interstate teams would be so generous??

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

It has nothing to do with that. It would be done in the draw.

We wouldnt be playing interstate teams away - in melbourne, we'd be playing victorian teams away - in melbourne.

LennyBoy
Club Player

It wouldnt be 3 away games at the GC sRr, it would be 3 HOME games at the GC, in exchange for 3 interstate away games.
Who's to say that would work potentially given the rather poor Tasmanian home game trial. I would rather stick to normalities, maximize dollars from having as many games based in Melbourne as we can, and continue to play the interstate sides.

If the GC was a move for any Victorian club - they could still expect minimum 4 interstate away games (even with home games in Melbourne).

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

The propsal says they would only consider it if we still only had 6 interstate trips a season.

That makes 2 or 3 HOME games at Carrara. 1 v WCE/Freo in Perth, 1 v Adel/Port in Adelaide, and 1 v Sydney in Sydney.

The rest of our away games would be against Victorian teams, IN VICTORIA.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I supported FF because they said that they would do EVERYTHING possible to give the Saints their best chance of winning a premiership.
Sucked in SrR.............

The only way it could sack up in terms of premiership advantage would be..

But sources said that the Saints would only entertain playing games at Carrara — two or three most likely, but four would not be out of the question — on the proviso that they did not have to travel more than six times in the course of a 22-game season.

by the AFL agreeing that the 2/3 Saints HOME games in Qld would be part of six interstate capped games in total.

This could mean not playing WC, Freo and say Adelaide interstate at at their home bases.

The 2/3 GC HOME games would then be on a neautral ground.

But this would mean giving up our Home matches.....and not in getting Interstate Home matches transferred there.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 04 Dec 2007 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
stinger wrote:crazy idea.......as i said before if you whore yourself around you eventually get flowered....the afl would try to do us over same as they have put the squeeze on the roos......

I agree, fair flowering dinkum, the new board have been there all of five minutes and are already considering playing three HOME GAMES transferred from THE DOME to the Gold Coast :roll: :roll: :roll:

i though you said i know sfa b4e..... :wink:
every dog has it's day, even a know nothing nuffie like you
:P

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

This is the way I see the whole thing happening correct me if I'm wrong sRr.

But ATM we play 22 games..
11 home (all TD)
11 away (5 in Vic, 6 I/S)

we want to make it like this:
11 home (8 TD and 3 at the GC)
11 Home (8 in Vic, 3 I/S)

It seems to me like you think that an intertate team would be forced to move their home game to QLD.

The way I thought it would be is that we would only play 3 I/S teams in our away games...

So in any season it could go like this
12 at the Dome
4 at the MCG
3 at the GC
1 at Aami
1 at Subiaco and
1 at Telstra Stadium

as appose to
14 at the Dome
2 at the G
2 in Perth
2 in Aami
1 in Sydney
1 in Gabba

I believe that because it would be in the AFL's best interest to have a team on the Gold Coast we would get a pretty good draw if we were the team to go, our home games would be against victorian teams instead of interstate teams....

IMO playing on the Dome 16 times a year is probably a bit too much anyway, however I have heard they are trying to soften the surface, i don't know when that will come into play....

Riewoldt and Gilbert are both Gold Coast boys, I would imagine we would make a killing in merchandising up there with jumpers with numbers 12 and 19 on the back....

And our 3 games a year in the GC over the other team's 0 games a year would give us a slight home ground advantage IMO, especially the second year into the contract, we could also do some community camps up there to encourage supporters...
Last edited by Armoooo on Tue 04 Dec 2007 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:[This could mean not playing WC, Freo and say Adelaide interstate at at their home bases.

The 2/3 GC HOME games would then be on a neautral ground.

But this would mean giving up our Home matches.....and not in getting Interstate Home matches transferred there.
Thats exactly the point sRr, we would only travel to Perth ONCE, and to Adelaide ONCE, and to Sydney (or Tassie v Hawks), and the make up of the rest of our away games would be in Melbourne, against Victorian sides.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote: But ATM we play 22 games..
11 home (all TD)
11 away (5 in Vic, 6 I/S)

we want to make it like this:
11 home (8 TD and 3 at the GC)
11 Home (8 in Vic, 3 I/S)

It seems to me like you think that an intertate team would be forced to move their home game to QLD.

The way I thought it would be is that we would only play 3 I/S teams in our away games...

So in any season it could go like this
12 at the Dome
4 at the MCG
3 at the GC
1 at Aami
1 at Subiaco and
1 at Telstra Stadium

as appose to
15 at the Dome
3 at the G
1 in Perth
1 in Sydney
1 in Aami
1 in Gabba
EXACTLY!!

Well done Armooo.

LennyBoy
Club Player

The AFL is set to approve minimum 4 interstate trips (excluding those home GC Games) as per afl.com.au.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The Age wrote:It is understood that the Saints are interested in "back-to-back" games over a week, allowing the team to stay in the region for several days while supporters could spend a week in south-east Queensland and see the team play twice.
Club makes 500k and I get a week on the turps and golf courses of SEQ?

Fly up on Tiger for about $4 and crash in OWTS's laundry. Cheapest trip ever.

Where do I sign?

:P
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 04 Dec 2007 12:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Now OWTS....(with tongue firmly in my cheek)...your support is not at all colored by moving to the GC shortly (I think you said you were off?) ??? :wink:
I do believe it would be good for the club ...

But the fact that I will be living on the Gold Coast for the foreseeable future (next three or so years) does make this a more attractive proposition :wink:

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:The propsal says they would only consider it if we still only had 6 interstate trips a season.

That makes 2 or 3 HOME games at Carrara. 1 v WCE/Freo in Perth, 1 v Adel/Port in Adelaide, and 1 v Sydney in Sydney.

Indeed...it would only fly if we give up home games.

Basically it would be Tassie Mark 2....but with total interstate games capped at 6.

However one of the Saints Home Games would quite probably be against the Lions...so that would lose some of the advantage.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:The propsal says they would only consider it if we still only had 6 interstate trips a season.

Exactly, I don't see why any team would be pissed off at us, our home games go to GC, all victorian teams we play there wont be happy but it's our home game we can play it wherever we want.

All our away games apart from 3 would be in Victoria, this means those Victorian teams still get their home games and we avoid going interstate.

I can't see any other teams having a right to complain, they can be jealous but there is really nothing that they can do about it...

The way I see it, St.Kilda are the very big winners from this deal...

LennyBoy
Club Player

Gold Coast Saints :roll:

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:Gold Coast Saints :roll:
On the contrary.

The AFLs statement - that if the Roos dont accept their offer, they will start a new club from scratch on the GC - gives us a legitimate 'get out' clause after the term of the deal.

Once theres a team on the GC, they have no need for us there, but we will already have gained exposure and members in the area. Not to mention the money... and the benefits of not having to travel to Perth and Adelaide twice...