Matthew Drain Appointed Football Manager?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

True Believer wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote: GROUNDHOG DAY!
Isn't it great Grump, we have our own sort of insane superhero, leaping forth from a telephone box amidst a shower of dribble and twitching, clad in a cape and his reg grundy's whenever his super hearing detects the following phrases of evil:

List management
Ruck stats
Hitouts to advantage
recruiting
GT

Saving us all by beating the supervillain GT to death with superhero chants like "brass band", "bundy" and the all powerful devil repellant "fair dinkum". Do you think he would accept a role as the poster boy for the Tourrets (sic) help group?

"Hi kids, just like me, don't let your condition stop you from reaching your dreams (cut to outburst) - GONADS, BUMHOLE, RUCK STATS - remember Tourrets sufferers can reach for the stars too"
Actually, I envision him as one of those mad native witchdoctors you used to see in the old Tarzan films, leaping out of the jungle, twitching, prancing and frothing at the mouth, muttering his incantations and clutching his GT and Bundy Voodoo Dolls.

But your description is close, but I have dumpster diver knob jockey a degree of no-nothing rooster rooter sympathy for suffers of dehydrated pond-scum Tourettes Syndrome.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
These events followed a dispute the previous summer over the appointment of a football manager who, ultimately, was never appointed. The ( St.Kilda ) administration had decided to hire former Essendon football manager Matthew Drain but changed its plans in the face of opposition from Thomas and instead added responsibilities to assistant coach Matt Rendell.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

When boy wonder bundy is acquiring Port rejects like Brooks, Guerra and Ackland through his previous association, why not give him more responsibility

make a play for Brogan, when they say no, oh ok we'll give you pick 6 and 31 for Brooks then :roll:

Thomas obviously wanted to maintain the status quo, he found the chook raffle approach to his liking, just so long as he had TOTAL dictatorial control over it, with his mate boy wonder bundy by his side

I mean FAIR FLOWERING DINKUM

Matthew Drain was obviously one drain too many for Thomas who was too busy pissing away our chances with poor list development and recruiting down his own

Excellent appointment and finally we have this quality individual at our club after having exited out the buffoon that sent us into decline, who then turns around and sues the club he says he loves and wouldn't do anything to hurt, yeah righto
:roll:
GROUNDHOG DAY!
"Phil? Phil Connors? It's me. Ned! Ned Ryerson!! Bing!"

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:i have seen other articles....most notably at the weekend that are less than ecstatic about our four swapped players.....mentioned that carscum got pilloried for picking up other teams discarded players...while we were being complimented for going down the same road...

i suppose time will tell who is right and who is wrong..

i think schneider and king will be okay...as long as king has a relatively injury free year.....the other two are just list fillers...imhfo.....no better...or worse than the players we have just delisted........maybe we are.just swapping around a few deck chairs.....
The big difference between our trading in 07 & the Blues in 02 was that we still have our top draft pick (the baggers had lost their picks for cheating). The quality of the players that we picked up vastly outweighs the delisted rejects that they picked up in the ND & PSD (Harford, Bowyer, Clarke, etc).

We have added players that fill a need to an existing excellent core group while still having 4 draft picks up our sleeves for kids. Carlton were forced to pick up delisted rejects as they had no early picks & were adding them to a team on a very fast decline.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

These events followed a dispute the previous summer over the appointment of a football manager who, ultimately, was never appointed.

The ( St.Kilda ) administration had decided to hire former Essendon football manager Matthew Drain

but changed its plans in the face of opposition from Thomas and instead added responsibilities to assistant coach Matt Rendell.
The above quote says it all really

apologies true believer for connecting the dots for the love sick puppies and cult worshipping malcontents, in an attempt to give them a FAIR DINKUM clue, I do acknowledge that this is probably as trivial and futile a pursuit as you're ever likely to encounter

afterall it was only last week a few posters were hoping that the demise of butterss would pave the way for their messiah to be welcomed back with open arms

you can lead a horse to water

anyway any news on Thomas's legal proceedings against the St.Kilda football club

the 28 days should be up by now, so what's the latest?

Still suing for money, he previously signed a stat dec stating, he'd already been paid?

So it was Thomas who stopped Drain from being appointed

We all saw what an utter shambles Thomas made of the football department

"pave the way for Thomas to come back", yeah righto :roll:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote: GROUNDHOG DAY!
Isn't it great Grump, we have our own sort of insane superhero, leaping forth from a telephone box amidst a shower of dribble and twitching, clad in a cape and his reg grundy's whenever his super hearing detects the following phrases of evil:

List management
Ruck stats
Hitouts to advantage
recruiting
GT

Saving us all by beating the supervillain GT to death with superhero chants like "brass band", "bundy" and the all powerful devil repellant "fair dinkum". Do you think he would accept a role as the poster boy for the Tourrets (sic) help group?

"Hi kids, just like me, don't let your condition stop you from reaching your dreams (cut to outburst) - GONADS, BUMHOLE, RUCK STATS - remember Tourrets sufferers can reach for the stars too"

You forgot to mention the countless posts about how we should give up our first round draft pick for Fergus Watts :roll:
WE MUST GET HIM
Even though it was pointed out that he has NO second efforts

FAIR DINKUM

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

No paving the way for GT to return from my end.

Glad to see the back of him and his golfing butty.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yes there is a lack of credibility on the Fergus Watts and Michael Rix calls....

However, we have all been known to be wrong on occasion. I picked Brett Moyle to be a gun when he was a rookie. I also said that Dean Cox was over rated once upon a time. I also said Whitnall will turn out to be better than Carey....well, I didn't say it, but he's pretty close off the field.....

saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i have seen other articles....most notably at the weekend that are less than ecstatic about our four swapped players.....mentioned that carscum got pilloried for picking up other teams discarded players...while we were being complimented for going down the same road...

i suppose time will tell who is right and who is wrong..

i think schneider and king will be okay...as long as king has a relatively injury free year.....the other two are just list fillers...imhfo.....no better...or worse than the players we have just delisted........maybe we are.just swapping around a few deck chairs.....
"no better...or worse than the players we have just delisted.."

now thats funny. we delisted raymond and sweeney. who played 1 game between them, watts and brooks who played 1-2 games this year (maybe) and your saying that charlie nad dempster will do the same.

doubt it. I dodon't think they are in the best 22 however, when we get injuries,as we will inevitably do, they proably will be the first picked.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

No apologies required in my neck of the woods Barks - I cannot fathom how any right minded person would contemplate a return in any sort of official capacity for GT given the conduct since his demise.......

But still, I amuse myself greatly with the visuals I conjure that are inspired by your anti-GT rants. I think in animated visuals, due to my low intellect and poorly paid, menial job.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whilst Groundhog Day bleats on about evil doer Thomas, the article did make a point about the $250,000 spent on the South Africa trip and how invaluable it was for especially Dal Santo and Raph Clarke.

Well, two and half years down the track, Dal has plateaued (he's still an excellent player, but hasn't improved really), whilst Raph has gone nowhere.

So, perhaps now that silly Buffoon, or whatever Groundhog Day calls him, will realise how stupid both that trip and the other ones to China and England? where also.

It also shows how gutless the board was not to override GT when they themselves thought the overseas trips were a bit overthetop and expensive, yet let GT get away with them.

$250K could buy some pretty decent gym equipment or extra fitness development expertise......

In any case, isn't it nice to read those stories and think RB/GT is past history and (most of us) have moved on since then?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:[
now thats funny. we delisted raymond and sweeney. who played 1 game between them, watts and brooks who played 1-2 games this year (maybe) and your saying that charlie nad dempster will do the same.

doubt it. I dont think they are in the best 22 however, when we get injuries,as we will inevitably do, they probably will be the first picked.

well if they are we are going backwards.......i stick by what i said...i was talking about football ability ...not number of games played...watts and brooks both had serious leg injuries that severely restricted their chances

but given different circumstances and different clubs they might have succeeded...they were certainly originally more highly regarded than their replacements......

i haven't even though about how many games each will play but don't put words in my mouth

and

you can think it as funny as you like....no skin off my nose....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: But still, I amuse myself greatly with the visuals I conjure that are inspired by your anti-GT rants. I think in animated visuals, due to my low intellect and poorly paid, menial job.

his anti- gt rants were inspired by the kick up the arse he received from the great man when he rudely intruded into the coaches box....after firstly going into the wrong one by mistake, i might add.....he was last seen flying down the stairs with bits of paper containing rix's ruck stats falling like rain from the sky.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigmicka wrote:Great appointment, I have been hoping for awhile that he would join.

Have known Matt for at least 20 years, lives for sport of all kinds. While playing junior footy in under 18's, he coached the under 10's. Has always had an eye for managing players from a very early age and it's no suprise he has gone on to great things.

mic
Expect some inside info then :wink:

Terrific appointment.

So our football department now looks like:

Matthew Drain, Football Operations Manager
Tony Elshaug, General Manger, Football Development
Ross Lyon, Senior Coach
David Misson, General Manager, "Training Services"
Peter Mulkearns, Senior Conditioning Coach
Tim Barber, Club Doctor
Andrew Wallace, Physiotherapist
John Peake, Recruiting Manger

+ a whole host of other very important and qualified people ....

St Kilda are attracting GOOD FOOTBALL PEOPLE.

Something we have never done.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

4theluvoftheclub wrote:I notice that the club has also retained Dr Ian Stone, long time saints doc...SMART to keep the knowledge and continuity about player medical status and condition, i
Glad to hear this along with new staff

And I believe Kenny W is going again-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Brian Collis
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
4theluvoftheclub wrote:I notice that the club has also retained Dr Ian Stone, long time saints doc...SMART to keep the knowledge and continuity about player medical status and condition, i
Glad to hear this along with new staff

And I believe Kenny W is going again-
Man what's that old bugger whiffen?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
saintly wrote:[

doubt it. I dont think they are in the best 22 however, when we get injuries,as we will inevitably do, they probably will be the first picked.

well if they are we are going backwards.......i stick by what i said...i was talking about football ability

Fair enough stinger - you can have all the ability in the world but I reckon if you don't have the right attitude and application in your career (in this case footy) then you are unlikely to ever make it.