A message to Rod Butterrs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saint patrick wrote:Greg Denham on SEN talking to Bartlett has just declared it all over for Rod...expects him to resign very soon.
If thats the case do we still need the EGM or could the board all resign and we have the new board from the AGM?

This would be a fair way to do it if possible and save the club money.

But if this is the case and it is all over what have we got to fight about for the next 3 or four monts St.Pat :D :wink:
Praise the Lord!!!

As a staunch supporter of "getting all the facts first" etc, etc, and going against the grain of SS - which I respect for your determination - you've finally seen the envitable light of the situation.

If RB stands down today, he may be able to leave St.Kilda with his hide intact, and be remembered for all the good things he's done for several years.

OR...

He could let it play out another week, or more, and be a laughing stock/kicking board for 8,000+ members, before either standing down then or being really stupid and letting it go until 23 October.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
BAM! wrote:
I expect SFF to win. I'm dissapointed that so many seem to want to deny me my vote based on a 28% proxy return.
Yes i find it very interesting considering how many were up in arms about Butters wanting the AFL to judge who had the better financial plan and the best plan wins.

Apparently Butters was denying us all a chance to vote (quite how has never once been established BTW) but when the FFS say they wanted the proxies to pressure the board to step down, therefore denying us the chance to vote, these very same people who were so outraged by Butters are mute, silent.

Well who would have thought.

run that past me again.....i thought we were given the opportunity to vote...i have.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bungiton wrote:If people are voting based on personality, there is only one perso to blame for that, perhaps two.
Going on this mornings number, far more than that - without wanting to lump everyone in (and hence offend people who think I'm calling them lemmings, other than those who have told us, I've no idea of others criteria, and they're within their rights to decide however they choose), we can safely say that it would therefore be somewhere under 8000 people "to blame" for voting on personality. While Butterss and Westaway have given us (or not given us as the case may be) what we've got to decide on today, we could certainly do/have done more to force a campaign NOT based around personality, if that was what the membership desired. We could wring our hands over Butterss and complain we never got to choose... this time round, if it doesn't go well, there will be nobody "to blame" except ourselves.

Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
stinger
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Door to door salesman still have a good chance with many on this forum
that's just typical of the smart arse comments i was saying were giving me the sh!ts...posters on here should be free to vote either way without having their intelligence, sanity or manhood questioned ffs...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

bungiton
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote: No not at all Saintsational. I just found it curious that some on here were up in arms when Butters wanted to put the two plans forward and the best plan for the club would run it (or words to that effect). To me that menat if the FFS plan was better Rod would resign and let Greg and his ticket take over.

however the hue and cry about Butters taking our voting rights away was incredible and laughable. As bungiton just stated, there was no vote when Butters took over, no wailing at the moon and gnashing of teeth then. It is a perfectly legitimate way of changing the board and President, and very less messy. I saw no problems with it at all.

But the funny thing was, when it was announced that the FFS was gathering proxies to pressure RB and the board to resign (so in effect doing exactly what RB was accuesd of doing) therefore denying us a vote, there was no outcry.
Where was the wringing of hands and howling at the moon? Where were the cries of indignation toward the tactics of the FFs to deny us the vote?

Has the FFS slightly embarrassed their own supporters who went down this path?

Oops your petticoats are showing ladies :D :D

BTW I believe both arguments are false and misleading. Neither the FFS or RB wanted to deny the membership a vote. Both wanted to avoid an EGM and spill and ensure either a smooth transition or a continuance of the status quo. And AFAIAC both tactics were legitimate and were never designed "to imit the members voting rights"

I find it incredibly amusing that the ones so upset by Butters plan, has said nothing about the FFS plan
I'm glad you find this process so amusing, perhaps in your merriment and mirth you might find a slight difference in the two procedures.

By presenting the business plans to the AFL, the choice of the members is effectively taken away altogether. The AFL dictates wholly and solely the merit of the rival parties then decrees which party it feels should be declared the winner.

The SFF option of gathering MEMBERS proxies, lets the membership base, by the use of its' proxies dictate the number of votes. The fact that the rival ticket has so far recieved an overwhelming vote of support, by the very receipt of the MEMBERS proxies, show that perhaps as far as a large amount of MEMBERS are concerned, that there is a groundswell of support. The option is to issue your proxie to SFF or the current board. Those that feel the SFF are upstarts, mudslingers and rebels, can direct their proxie to Butters to use as HE sees fit.

As you say if the membership are so supportive of allowing the AFL to determine the outcome of a board election, a vote for Butterss is just as easy. Seems the fact that because there isn't a similar amount of proxies flowing Rods way, perhaps noone really wants the AFL to decide.

Rods option was like my two kids fighting over something and asking mum to decide who is right. If his option was to have SFF present their business model to the membership and fight it out at an EGM, fair enough. Why let the AFL be the arbitrator?

With a federal election looming why not have both parties prepare a business plan, present it to the Queen and let HER decide who is best fit to govern Australia?

Would save a fortune on pesly election costs, tv and radio campaigns, and we could all spend the saturday doing something fun instead.
Last edited by bungiton on Fri 21 Sep 2007 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
chook23 wrote:
that's just typical of the smart arse comments i was saying were giving me the sh!ts...posters on here should be free to vote either way without having their intelligence, sanity or manhood questioned ffs...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
ok fair point

but have you not ever been guilty either
stinger
:roll: :roll: :roll:

:wink:

saint4life
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:But the funny thing was, when it was announced that the FFS was gathering proxies to pressure RB and the board to resign (so in effect doing exactly what RB was accuesd of doing) therefore denying us a vote, there was no outcry.

Where was the wringing of hands and howling at the moon? Where were the cries of indignation toward the tactics of the FFs to deny us the vote?
But isn't submitting your proxy vote to SFF exercising your right to vote?

IMO if you don't submit, you are effectively submitting your vote for the current board.

So in effect, everyone is voting whether they like it or not.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
stinger wrote:
chook23 wrote:
ok fair point

but have you not ever been guilty either
stinger
:roll: :roll: :roll:

:wink:
not on this issue......no.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
joffaboy wrote:But the funny thing was, when it was announced that the FFS was gathering proxies to pressure RB and the board to resign (so in effect doing exactly what RB was accuesd of doing) therefore denying us a vote, there was no outcry.

IMO if you don't submit, you are effectively submitting your vote for the current board.

correct.....

bungiton
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:

Exactly!! The SFF is accused of spin- hey pot its kettle here- love that ebony

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i could list all the reasons i decided to forward my proxy to sff....a lot of them have been detailed on here...others have been alluded to....it's just that the laws of defamation, being what they are, would most likely get me and this site sued......whilst truth is a defense...it would be hard to prove that all the things i would list are in fact true.....

bungiton
SS Life Member

The turn over of quality staff at the Saints is high on my list, Terry Daniher, Burkie, Crippa, as assistants to start with, then the amazing exodus of quality, long serving staff from the office.

If something smells fishy, usually theres a fish!

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:The turn over of quality staff at the Saints is high on my list, Terry Daniher, Burkie, Crippa, as assistants to start with, then the amazing exodus of quality, long serving staff from the office.

And when fish goes off it usually starts at the head :?

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great post Bungi......love the comparison to the Queen deciding our leader......sure, RB may have retracted his comments re letting the AFL decide our fate, but retracting comments is about all that is good at doing now.

Why make that comment in the first place? It's all pathetic spin.

Who honestly thinks RB will stand down sometime in the next week, or will he be gutless and just stay quiet in the corner and hope it all just goes away and is a bad dream??

chook23
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:The turn over of quality staff at the Saints is high on my list, Terry Daniher, Burkie, Crippa, as assistants to start with, then the amazing exodus of quality, long serving staff from the office.

reasonable questions

was it GT
......lack of allowed input in football dept

or RB and the board
.....lack of resources in football dept

One is gone .......the other it appears very soon

the whole smelly fish will then be gone

how long for the stench to clear will be interesting

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote: I'm glad you find this process so amusing, perhaps in your merriment and mirth you might find a slight difference in the two procedures.

By presenting the business plans to the AFL, the choice of the members is effectively taken away altogether. The AFL dictates wholly and solely the merit of the rival parties then decrees which party it feels should be declared the winner.
How? Could you please point to where the AFL can override the STKFC constitution?

It is not possible under Corporations Law AFAIK. Mabye you could point out the relevant sections that points out the ability for an incorporated body to have its constitution overridden in such a fashion.

You see in my studies of Corporations Law I haven't come across those sections.

Can anyone give a link to where RB said he would not allow a vote by the members?

bungiton wrote:The SFF option of gathering MEMBERS proxies, lets the membership base, by the use of its' proxies dictate the number of votes. The fact that the rival ticket has so far recieved an overwhelming vote of support, by the very receipt of the MEMBERS proxies, show that perhaps as far as a large amount of MEMBERS are concerned, that there is a groundswell of support. The option is to issue your proxie to SFF or the current board. Those that feel the SFF are upstarts, mudslingers and rebels, can direct their proxie to Butters to use as HE sees fit.
Have they got a majority yet? If not all it is, is an excercise to do what Butters said he would do if the FFS financial plan was better than the current board, which was to resign and have a smooth transition.

Exactly the same. Neither is denying the club members a vote. Both were looking to avoid an EGM.

So what if there is a "groundswell of support" if the FFs doesn't have a majority of voting members all it is doing in pressuring the board to resign is exactly what Butters is accused of doing.

Doesn't matter how you dress it up.
bungiton wrote:As you say if the membership are so supportive of allowing the AFL to determine the outcome of a board election, a vote for Butterss is just as easy. Seems the fact that because there isn't a similar amount of proxies flowing Rods way, perhaps noone really wants the AFL to decide.
Again please point to the clause in our constitution that allows for the AFL to override the members right to vote.

please show me the link where Butters said he would not allow a membership vote on the issue.
bungiton wrote:Rods option was like my two kids fighting over something and asking mum to decide who is right. If his option was to have SFF present their business model to the membership and fight it out at an EGM, fair enough. Why let the AFL be the arbitrator?
All the AFl could do was use its resources (and it has the best in the football industry) to analyse the two business plans and make a decision to whose was best.
If it was the boards all RB would have had was the backing of the AFL. How could he stop the FFs pushing forward with an EGm and allowing a vote on the matter?
If the FFs had have been better Rod would have been under an obligation to resign in good faith and allow a smooth transition to the FFS. If he didn't we still have an EGM.
You constitutionally cannot stop the members voting at an EGM as far as I am aware.

This just seems to be a smokescreen backed up with no basis in statute Corporations law. But then again I dont know all of Corpns LaW, someone may know the section thast states that an Incorporated company can have its constitution overridden by another body.

if so please state it for us.
bungiton wrote:With a federal election looking why not have both parties prepare a business plan, present it to the Quenn and let HER decide who is best fit to govern Australia?
1975 ring a bell? That is Australian Constitutional Law. If you dont like it vote for a Republic.
However Corporations Law is a different law to the above.
bungiton wrote:Would save a fortune on pesly election costs, tv and radio campaigns, and we could all spend the saturday doing something fun instead.
probably would be it is an irrelevant comment considering Australia is a Constitutional Monachy system of govt, and STKFC is governed by Corporations Law.

Can someone, anyone point to the section of Corpns Law that states a President or CEO can disbarr the members (or shareholders) from voting at an EGM?

Someone? Anyone?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bungiton
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:

reasonable questions

was it GT
......lack of allowed input in football dept

or RB and the board
.....lack of resources in football dept

One is gone .......the other it appears very soon

the whole smelly fish will then be gone

how long for the stench to clear will be interesting
That new broom will for the start at least bring a whole new odour. I respet the current board for what they've done to get us to this point, no actually probably a point 18 months ago. Since they've been inwardlooking, focused on issues with little to do on footy and lets face it bloody lazy.

It's like getting a sale, then not looking for any more because you already have a job to do, when the pertininent thing to do was hire somebody to do the workk for you and keep chasing more sales. If you sit back on the satisfaction of the job youo just got, chances are the when the work is done, you're chasing your tail just trying to find more.

Brian Collis
Club Player

Rod, Your sh!t does stink

bungiton
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:How? Could you please point to where the AFL can override the STKFC constitution?
Precisely so why should Butters be prepared to "walk away" if the AFL says the SFF plan is better than the incumbants?

The very act of allowing the AFL to decide who is the better party, if in fact they decide on SFF, and thus Butterss walks, how is this not overriding a free and democratic choice?

Quite simply how can the democratic process of members giving the alternative party their vote, in the form of a proxy, be a matter of taking the vote out of the members hands. Where in the constition of the St Kilda football club state, that in the event of a board challenge, the decision will be made by the AFL selecting the best business model?

Your arguments are simply hot air being recycled to form an argument, the attack on the SFF by trying to win selection based on the wishes of the members as not a democratic process is quite staggering.

Quite simply there are two parties with the desire to govern the course of the club, at least one is trying to do so by advocating that those members that support them give them their vote in the form of a proxy. This proxy is to be then used as these people see fit to vote, be it Westaway or Burke, of course these proxies will be submitted as a vote for SFF.

To call the decision to gain as many proxies as possible undemocratic is quite simply unbelievable. Every proxy holder has the option to submit or not, the pure simple point you are missing is for whatever reason the people who have submitted thus far want the current board removed, and are exercising their rights as voting members to try to ensure the change occcurs.

1975 so far as I recall was not the result of two parties submitting business plans to the queen.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Could I interrupt this discussion to pay homage to Brian Collis' avatar.

Phwoar.

Now back to a schedule broadcast.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Could I interrupt this discussion to pay homage to Brian Collis' avatar.

Phwoar.

I want to second that :shock: ...a lot better than Brians old mug shot...

Have seen better looking half eaten pasties 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Could I interrupt this discussion to pay homage to Brian Collis' avatar.

Phwoar.

I want to second that :shock: ...a lot better than Brians old mug shot...

Have seen better looking half eaten pasties 8-)
Indeed, the operation was a success, Brian, care for a drink ? :wink:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote: Precisely so why should Butters be prepared to "walk away" if the AFL says the SFF plan is better than the incumbants?
Umm - resign? Nothing wrong with doing that.
bungiton wrote:The very act of allowing the AFL to decide who is the better party, if in fact they decide on SFF, and thus Butterss walks, how is this not overriding a free and democratic choice?
Allowing the AFL to decide what? All they would have done was analysed the two financial plans.

Constitutionally, they couldn't decide who was running the STKFC, only the members can.

Anyway it is incumbant of the accusers to come up with the proof that RB was going to override the STKFC constitution, and quite possibly break Corporations Law by not allowing the members to have a vote.

Still waiting on the link where Butters said such a thing.
bungiton wrote:Quite simply how can the democratic process of members giving the alternative party their vote, in the form of a proxy, be a matter of taking the vote out of the members hands. Where in the constition of the St Kilda football club state, that in the event of a board challenge, the decision will be made by the AFL selecting the best business model?
pfft - moot and irrelevant point. The issue was that there would be no need for a vote if, as a director, Butters and his board followed their fiduciary duties to act in the best interest of the organisation, and recommend to the members that the FFS had the best financial plan going forward.

The whole inference is that the AFL was going to choose who was the best board for the STKFC and that is patently untrue both factually and legally.
bungiton wrote:Your arguments are simply hot air being recycled to form an argument, the attack on the SFF by trying to win selection based on the wishes of the members as not a democratic process is quite staggering.
No. read what the FFs said. they said they wanted proxies to pressure the board into resigning and avoid the EGM.

They wanted to get a certain number of proxies and hope the wieght of numbers forced the board into resigning.

Now until the FSS have a majority of the votes of eligable members all they can do is pressure

Why are they trying to deny the majority a vote? Thye quick answer is they aren't.

You may think it is staggering, but it is the same thing as RB resigning because the FFS had the better financial plan.

Both are legitimate tactics, and both do not constitutionally "deny" the memvership of the vote. What they do is avoid an EGM, the money involved in this, and have an orderly transition like Butters from Plympton.

If any member doesn't like this they can get 100 signatures and call for a spill of the board and we can all have a vote.

The argument that Butters tried to deny the members a vote is ludicrious and legally totally inaccurate and false.

Please show me the section of the Corpns Law that allows this to happen.

For some reason you aren't keen to actually discuss the laws that govern Organisations, but deal in emotion and falsehood.

Why is this?

Q
bungiton wrote:uite simply there are two parties with the desire to govern the course of the club, at least one is trying to do so by advocating that those members that support them give them their vote in the form of a proxy. This proxy is to be then used as these people see fit to vote, be it Westaway or Burke, of course these proxies will be submitted as a vote for SFF.
yes that is correct. What has that got to do with breaches of the Corporations Act as you and others have accused RB of?

bungiton wrote:To call the decision to gain as many proxies as possible undemocratic is quite simply unbelievable.
Yes it is, who said that? They should actually understand the laws that govern an organistion and the rights of members before they say what FFS is doing is undemocratic. What a hide. Agree with you there bungiton.
bungiton wrote: Every proxy holder has the option to submit or not, the pure simple point you are missing is for whatever reason the people who have submitted thus far want the current board removed, and are exercising their rights as voting members to try to ensure the change occcurs.
Yes they are. So what? They have 7000 proxies apparently, that means there are 14,000 eligible members who haven cast their vote.

Why would the FFS, in your world, deny the rest to vote by pressuring the current board to stand down and avoid an EGM?

As I said it is ludicrious to suggest either the FFS or the RB board was attempting to deny the members a right to vote.

Constitutionally they cant. The only people up in arms about it were the propoganda merchants who dont understand Corporations Law and the Common Laws that bind directors and their behaviour.

Neither group attempted to deny us our voting rights, but both wanted to avoid an EGM thus not having to take it to a vote.

Apparently though the pro Westaway lynch mob got there pants pulled down by their own mob when it was revealed that the FFS was trying to get out of the EGM as well :D :D

And thats why it is so funny.
bungiton wrote:1975 so far as I recall was not the result of two parties submitting business plans to the queen.
Hmmmmm - the govts business plan was blocked by an opposition who thought they had a better one.

Anyway Australian Constitutional Law is completely different to Corporations Law.

As I said dont like it vote for a Republic.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
JeffDunne

jb, you are ignoring the fact that proxies represent votes.

It's quite common for people to conceed an election prior to all votes being counted if it's clear which way the vote is going to go.

Does this mean the uncounted votes count for naught?