Judd- are we any chance?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Interesting quote from this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html

Judd's possible destinations were avoided by the player as skilfully as he evaded tackles at Subiaco, although Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and St Kilda are all thought to be in the frame.

1st I have read from a media source.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Got me thinking about Judd being a game breaker..

Who can win a game off their own boot at St.Kilda?

Roo ... Almost, if he hrt the oppostion more on the score board.

Harvs... Getting too old to rely on, but has turned matches for us.

Kosi... Showing signs of taking his game to an elite level. His 4th Q mark in the goal square against the Crows was evidence.

Lenny... Starting to come back to the Lenny we know. Get set for 08 Lenny...

Any more?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

How the hell could we be in contention? how could we afford him? .....and what in gods name would we be willing to give up - would HAVE to include a Dal Santo and picks + GOP at least Idve thought....

“Yeah….nah””
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:How the hell could we be in contention? how could we afford him? .....and what in gods name would we be willing to give up - would HAVE to include a Dal Santo and picks + GOP at least Idve thought....

your right.. we are in no position to get judd, unless we trade very heavily in order to snare another 1st round pick and then have to give up 2 first round picks and possibly a player.

the eagles should be careful though whilst dealing with other clubs, if they play too hard and judd falls to the tigers by default they would be ropeable.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

at the end of Foot Classified when they do "tomorrows headlines" one was something along the lines of "Saints willing to move heaven and hell for star"

don't know what they're expecting, cos theres no way we could get judd

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Evidently will be an article in The Australian tomorrow (Tuesday) saying that the Saints are keen on him.....may be just Board spin though....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
nicko016
Club Player

Well to be any realistic chance we are going to need Judd to come out and says he wants to play for us. Of the other four you'd think he'd want to play for us ahead of at least Carlton and Essendon as they don't seem to be heaing anywhere to soon. Collingwood look promising and Melbourne will appeal to him becuase of his childhood.

If we got a pick around 10 or so would Pick 9 + say Pick 10 + pick 26 be enough? But getting a pick around 10 will be no easy feat.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Evidently will be an article in The Australian tomorrow (Tuesday) saying that the Saints are keen on him.....may be just Board spin though....
regardless, it will be too hard to secure him, i feel like we will have to give up too much and our salary cap will suffer in years to come when trying to sign other players of high value i.e roo, dal, kosi

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Evidently will be an article in The Australian tomorrow (Tuesday) saying that the Saints are keen on him.....may be just Board spin though....
regardless, it will be too hard to secure him, i feel like we will have to give up too much
That is what I think too

Richter
SS Life Member

Seems to me that Judd will get to pick which club he'll end up at - i.e. present the WEagles with his preferred option.

Then the Weagles might say, ok "Judd-preferred club", give us 2 picks + a player. "Judd-preferred club" would then need to get another 1st rounder - they'd be in a double squeeze, both from WCE and the team that they would want the 2nd pick from.

I don't think that the "Judd-preferred club" would be able to take a double whammy - even for a player as good as Judd, and I think that he would turn round to WCE and say, hey, you picked me up for selection 3 - letting me go for 2 top ten is reasonable i.e. drop the + player part or drop the 2nd top ten pick part or else I am prepared to walk to Richmond in the PSD.

However, I do then think that "Judd-preferred club" would get screwed hard by whoever they would get the 2nd top ten pick from.

----------------------------------

So, in summary, "Judd-preferred club" trades WA good player + top 3 pick or top 3 and top 10 for Judd.

----------------------------------

Options for Saints if we became involved in all of this........

a) to get Judd (As long as we're his preferred club, of course)

- don't think we have any WA players, so we'd need to trade with either Richmond, Carlton or Melbourne for one of picks 2-4

But who would we give up?

IMO, No way - Roo, Kosi, Ball, Hayes, Dal, Sam Fisher, Goose

Goddard/Gram/Montagna are the only non-absolutely-untouchables I would say who might command a high pick.

Other wise player + our 2/3 round for pick 2-4 e.g. Montagna/X. Clarke/R.Clarke?

Of these the only one that I could realistically see us doing might be the one I have bolded.

Once he has chosen us, then we have secured him, we of course need to fit him inder the cap. This would be possible by him getting e.g. LM's wage + leftover from (G-train retiring - new contracts for Dal/Kosi/Fish/Roo) + 1st round wage + 2/3 round wage. Also would need to be on a heavily backended contract so that after next year when Harvey and Hamill go then this freed up dough would go to Judd.

In summary, we would give up our 1st and 2nd round picks plus Joey or X and bugger ourselves in salary terms for the next 5 years in order to get a Brownlow medallist, Norm Smith medallist, premiership player from Caulfield. Who may never regain his form due to chronic injury. Or may recover and help us to 3 out of the next 5 premierships.

Mouth-watering isn't it?

Option b for Saints

Trade our pick 9 for an extremely good offer from the "Judd-preferred club" - see my other thread.......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
woooosaints
Club Player

i reckon if worse comes to worse and goose wont sign we put goose+montagna and pick 9 up on the table gilbert/gwilt groomed as defenders goose can be replaced with sam fisher playing CHB. as far as montagna is concerned its a mid for a mid basically

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

god some people make me laugh :roll:

we have waited for montagna to peak, underachieving for his first couple of seasons imo, he hits his straps in the last two seasons and people suggest we trade him, as well as another player AND a f**king draft pick as well.

get a grip people, aint gonna happen

woooosaints
Club Player

fonz lets face it montagna will never have the marketing appeal that judd has id say an extra 5000 people will come to each home game just to see judd play. i think 97 percent of AFL players voted that he is the BEST AFL player mids are replacable joey is a great player no doubt but judd is someone who will go down as one of the greats.

Richter
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:god some people make me laugh :roll:

we have waited for montagna to peak, underachieving for his first couple of seasons imo, he hits his straps in the last two seasons and people suggest we trade him, as well as another player AND a f**king draft pick as well.

get a grip people, aint gonna happen
If Judd decided he wanted to come to us, personally I'd give up Joey, X and our pick 9 for him. Not that I think that we'd have to pay that high a price, possibly Joey, pick 9 and pick 26.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

your opinions and fair enough, maybe i under-rate judd.

dont get me wrong he is a star but you are talking about giving 3 players up for one, and imo montagna is a good midfielder that could be great (hitting his prime), x is better than a gop, and can be so much more with a bit of confidence and no injuries. You then also talk of either picks 9 or 26 who may turn out to be stars also.

you speak of marketability, and judd may put asses on seats, but you must also factor in the salary cap. We have some players earning good money, they could earn more elsewhere but are committed to our cause, if we have to delist/trade other required players i feel the consequences outweigh the benefits. I'm all for generating revenue but all the money in the world will not manage the salary cap, this is not soccer, we are not LA galaxy, and we are not chasing David Beckham, nor can we market Judd as such.

This is why we will not be a serious factor in the Judd trade, we simply can't afford it long term.

Shades
Club Player

Lets just give roo dal kossie ball goose fishers x gilbert and rod 4 judd

lol

Richter
SS Life Member

I hear you Fonz. I don't really think that we'll seriously go for Judd either. On the other hand.......?

- re salary: wherever he goes he will continue to get huge marketing dollars thrown at him outside his club contract so may not need to have too high a contract.

- on order to play at his club of choice he may voluntarily accept a lower contract than he may get elsewhere. For instance, if I were him I'd accept $800k from Saints over $1.2m from Carlscum.

- he's a smart cookie who will be looking to have a career, ?in what, post footy - so he doesn't have the same pressure to make the absolute most financially out of his footy career.

- he'll be living at home in Sandy with his folks to start of with so will save on rent and other living expenses. Add to this if he comes to the Saints, saving in public transport fares as he'll be able to take the bus to training up Bluff and South Roads........ :wink: :D

I know, it's late, perhaps I should go get some zzzzz's!

woooosaints
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:your opinions and fair enough, maybe i under-rate judd.

dont get me wrong he is a star but you are talking about giving 3 players up for one, and imo montagna is a good midfielder that could be great (hitting his prime), x is better than a gop, and can be so much more with a bit of confidence and no injuries. You then also talk of either picks 9 or 26 who may turn out to be stars also.

you speak of marketability, and judd may put asses on seats, but you must also factor in the salary cap. We have some players earning good money, they could earn more elsewhere but are committed to our cause, if we have to delist/trade other required players i feel the consequences outweigh the benefits. I'm all for generating revenue but all the money in the world will not manage the salary cap, this is not soccer, we are not LA galaxy, and we are not chasing David Beckham, nor can we market Judd as such.

This is why we will not be a serious factor in the Judd trade, we simply can't afford it long term.
say if we traded goose and montagna maybe 400k-500k there FG was on about 400k a season and after the other retirements im sure we havent plenty of money. IF judd was on our team we would have no troubles securing major sponsors infact they would be lining up instead. its not just about his ability to play as you said its his marketing power

Richter
SS Life Member

Hell, I must be going crackers if I'm agreeing with you on something woooooooooo. :wink:

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

if we trade goose and monty, in order to get judd we seriously have no clue, but that is not what your sayinbg here wooosaints. With those players gone at the prices you suggested (which i feel wouldnt be as much as goose and joey are earning), you are right we could afford Judd SHORT TERM.

you have to think long term with this deal, how do we explain to Riewoldt, Dal santo, Fisher, Kosi etc come reneg time that they should accept less for salary cap reasons, when we have gone all out to secure Judd. Just sends the wrong messages to me.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:I hear you Fonz. I don't really think that we'll seriously go for Judd either. On the other hand.......?

- re salary: wherever he goes he will continue to get huge marketing dollars thrown at him outside his club contract so may not need to have too high a contract.

- on order to play at his club of choice he may voluntarily accept a lower contract than he may get elsewhere. For instance, if I were him I'd accept $800k from Saints over $1.2m from Carlscum.

- he's a smart cookie who will be looking to have a career, ?in what, post footy - so he doesn't have the same pressure to make the absolute most financially out of his footy career.

- he'll be living at home in Sandy with his folks to start of with so will save on rent and other living expenses. Add to this if he comes to the Saints, saving in public transport fares as he'll be able to take the bus to training up Bluff and South Roads........ :wink: :D

I know, it's late, perhaps I should go get some zzzzz's!

i hear you too richter, i just think that we will get in salasry cap strife long term with judd in our side.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

Hutchy said he could reveal that Judd is only setting up meetings with Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood when he is here.

Of course every club will say they want to get Judd, because their supporters would scream if they didn't.

woooosaints
Club Player

i doubt collingwood could give anything worthwhile to the eagles carlton are the frontrunners realistically i reckon we have no chance maybe a 10 percent chance that someone could lure him over. Maybe hes friends with ball??? that could get him over. By the way the salary cap will be raised over time and judd on a 5 year contract maybe for a less salary so we could fit other players on it just pray to god its not another aaron hammil

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 70,00.html

Two things became very clear in yesterday's conference, which included Eagles coach John Worsfold and chief executive Trevor Nisbett. Judd wants to join a club that will be successful in the short term and West Coast is very keen for early draft picks as compensation.

Every Victorian club will make a bid for Judd. Yesterday St Kilda officially joined the queue.

The club's football general manager Ken Sheldon said: "We have already contacted his manager who said Chris would be delighted to talk to us. The best player in the league is out of contract and we are after him.

"While we have a strong belief in our own group, every St Kilda supporter's imagination would be fired by the thought of Judd in St Kilda colours."

Sheldon said while there was much to consider, the club would chase Judd vigorously and assemble the best possible packages to offer West Coast.

"We are already looking at what we can do to get Judd to St Kilda. We have made him a priority. I think we can make a very attractive deal to West Coast," Sheldon said.

It is believed part of the package would include contact with a group of businessmen to help Judd plan and prepare for his life after football.

Whether Judd would contemplate going to Moorabbin while there is a board challenge due in November is another matter. But Judd would slip into a skilled midfield not afraid to do the hard running of the modern game. It might just prompt dual Brownlow medallist Robert Harvey to play one more season. His form this year certainly was good enough.

A midfield rotation of Steven Baker, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo, Lenny Hayes, Harvey, Xavier Clarke and Judd appeals. For bargaining power, St Kilda's first pick in the draft is nine but the club would be prepared to trade vigorously to get a higher pick.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Interesting after heard Judd being interviewed.....and also his manager....that Judd is not as $$$ driven as we, or at least I, thought.

If he is actually firm on wanting to be playing finals over the short term...then that rules out Richmond.....and even possibly the Blues.

On the other hand the Weagfles will want one of the good delas that say the Blues can offer...

...or say the Dons who have swag of WA players..Gumbleton, Jetta, Ryder, Bradley......plus alower first pick than us.