Sweeney and Raymond gone!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

How many more delisted will depend in part of how many rookies are elevated,,,,and also how they handle Attard who will be kept.

I am not sure with Attard whether it isbest to leave him as a Rookie or elevate him.

If they elevate him they can try another rookie as opposed to an extra late pick.

So lets assume that they elevate Attard and CJ....and possibly Geary.

Keep VR...maybe Eddie. Let go Wall.

That would be 4 new rookies. 3 elevations....which squares the 3 current retirements.

2 delisted so far...BUT will take at least 3 maybe 4 in the draft.

So that would mean another 1 or two delistings/retirements.

I more if they go PSD...but at pick 8 in the PSD that would be lean pickings even allowing that not all clubs will participate.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

solar, unless sweeney has one hell of a good manager i doubt this would have happened because he is not smart enough to pull off something like a bluff.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Solar
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:solar, unless sweeney has one hell of a good manager i doubt this would have happened because he is not smart enough to pull off something like a bluff.
nah I was more thinking about the club. Perhaps they could have kept him on the list till after trade time, perhaps add him as a spicey little extra to a deal if it helped. Especially if they knew that a couple of clubs were testing the waters.

On the rookies, just my opinion

elevate: CJ, geary
Keep on rookie list: attard, VR, eddy
Delist wall

3 (or four if voss retires) picks in the ND
3 picks in the rookie (unless we put maxy on the vets list)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Solar
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:solar, unless sweeney has one hell of a good manager i doubt this would have happened because he is not smart enough to pull off something like a bluff.
nah I was more thinking about the club. Perhaps they could have kept him on the list till after trade time, perhaps add him as a spicey little extra to a deal if it helped. Especially if they knew that a couple of clubs were testing the waters.

On the rookies, just my opinion

elevate: CJ, geary
Keep on rookie list: attard, VR, eddy
Delist wall

3 (or four if voss retires) picks in the ND
3 picks in the rookie (unless we put maxy on the vets list)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

According to a pretty reliable source, the Saints will elevate three rookies.

Source didn't say who, but confirmed that 3 would be elevated.

Logically it would be Attard, Jones and Geary.

Attard would then be put on the LTI list and another rookie (Eddy) could be elevated in his place.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:According to a pretty reliable source, the Saints will elevate three rookies.

Source didn't say who, but confirmed that 3 would be elevated.

Logically it would be Attard, Jones and Geary.

Attard would then be put on the LTI list and another rookie (Eddy) could be elevated in his place.
I hope Jones is not part of the 3. Would Eddy or VR be better?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

jones...pfft RL really gets off over this bloke

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

BTW, thought Sweeney was a bit stiff, was pretty good in his only game.

The average number of matches played by an AFL player is 10 and the average years on an AFL list is 2.5 ...

Puts things in perspective.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

why would we elevate attard if he isnt going to play all year???

unless we elevate him and immedaitely put him on the lti and seek out who is most worthy out of the rookies to put on the senior list for most of the season

it could be a ploy...because attard could come back towards the end of 2008...

but then again i might be reading into it way too much

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:it could be a ploy...because attard could come back towards the end of 2008...
A half-fit, out of touch Attard surely wouldn't get a game. I don't see any real point in elevating him, because it would just mean we have an extra rookie on the list instead of another senior-listed player. You would expect that a player taken in the 4th round of the National Draft would be more advanced than a player taken in the 4th round of the rookie draft.

The club might have a reason to elevate Attard and then drop him onto the LTIL, but frankly I don't see a lot of point in it unless they want to draft a few 21-22 year old players in the rookie draft and elevate the best one at the start of the season (which I doubt is the case).

Personally I would only elevate Geary, and maybe Eddy if we've got some space on the list. Definitely keep Attard and Van Rheenen on the rookie list, while only retaining Wall if Eddy is promoted. Delist Jones.

Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

Solar wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
homework wrote:i would just like to know thats all

they are 2 victorian clubs, that is all i will say
Did the saints know this before the delistment was done?
to be fair, the OP doesn't actually say that they have been 'delisted' as such, just told that their services are no longer required so maybe the club has said they will try to find a trade for Sweeney...

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Actually with no disrepect to anyone, Id love to see a bit more solid evidence than just a SMS from a friend of a friend of a players Dad

Chinese whispers are a shocking thing..I got an SMS after the 06 final saying Banger had retired :shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:it could be a ploy...because attard could come back towards the end of 2008...
A half-fit, out of touch Attard surely wouldn't get a game. I don't see any real point in elevating him, because it would just mean we have an extra rookie on the list instead of another senior-listed player. You would expect that a player taken in the 4th round of the National Draft would be more advanced than a player taken in the 4th round of the rookie draft.

The club might have a reason to elevate Attard and then drop him onto the LTIL, but frankly I don't see a lot of point in it unless they want to draft a few 21-22 year old players in the rookie draft and elevate the best one at the start of the season (which I doubt is the case).

Personally I would only elevate Geary, and maybe Eddy if we've got some space on the list. Definitely keep Attard and Van Rheenen on the rookie list, while only retaining Wall if Eddy is promoted. Delist Jones.
he won't be half fit and if he is close to senior selection he would not be out of touch

didak was able to come back after a reco over summer so there is hope for jay yet

rl could use attard's placement on the lti as an insurance policy if somehow we become crippled with injury much like the hawks game earlier in the year with he and the match committee seeing fit to draft in a specific kind of player for a specific type of job (i.e. a tall back or a runner etc)

there is two sides of the coin however to thie arguement and both are valid

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
HarveysDeciple

saint66au wrote: Chinese whispers are a shocking thing..I got an SMS after the 06 final saying Banger had retired :shock:
hmmm....would like to lynch the bloke who started that panic :wink:

ps, just on attard for a moment, any chance he might be right to play by about round 10 or 12?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

When did he do it? Round 21 wasn't it ...

Lenny was back playing 10 months after he did his.

So Jayden did his in August ... that means he should be back playing by June of 2008, provided there are no complications.

Gives him 6-7 matches with the Scorpions to find some touch at the end of next season, and then a full pre-season under his belt.

Should be firing for 2009.
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Mon 17 Sep 2007 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:When did he do it? Round 21 wasn't it ...

Lenny was back playing 10 months after he did his.

So Jayden did his in August ... that means he should be back playing by June of 2008, provided there are no complications.

Gives him 6-7 matches with the Scorpions to find some touch at the end of next season, and then a full pre-season under his belt.

Should be firing for 2008.

...will not play in 2008....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sorry ... meant '09

stinger
Saintsational Legend

one of the stand alone victorian clubs in 2008.......geelong or collingwood would love sweeney on their list of vfl top up players......the game is all about kicking more goals than your opposition...and sweeney know how to kick a goal.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Have actually been given information that now leaves me in no doubt that the information in the OP is correct.

Thanks to both for their service, to the Saints and the Scorps and best wishes for their future footballing careers.

Remember folks, SweenDog played more AFL football than anyone on this site Id imagine
Last edited by saint66au on Mon 17 Sep 2007 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

So how does Sweeney go about getting picked up by a VFL team if he wanted to play VFL?

Carpe Diem
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Saint Corin wrote:Top 10 in VFL goal kicking 2 years in a row I think.
.........does not necessarily mean anything.

If you judge Sweeney as a fair player based on that, what does that make Nick Sautner?

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Saint Corin wrote:So how does Sweeney go about getting picked up by a VFL team if he wanted to play VFL?
as i have said earlier in thius thread, i am aware that 2 other afl clubs are speaking to him, may or may not get picked up. I would like to see him lining up for frankston next year.