2008 Draft Discussion/Information - Player Profiles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Image
ban this spammer :wink:

LennyBoy
Club Player

SaintBot Profile: :wink:

Height: 182cm
Weight: 57kgs

This young talent was one of the major surprise packets at this years training camp. With a blistering turn of pace, outstanding leadership qualities and magnetic ball winning ability this kid has plenty of potential. A good playing size, and decision maker; watch out cause this kid is gonna be something damn good. :lol:

HarveysDeciple

LennyBoy wrote:SaintBot Profile: :wink:

Height: 182cm
Weight: 57kgs

This young talent was one of the major surprise packets at this years training camp. With a blistering turn of pace, outstanding leadership qualities and magnetic ball winning ability this kid has plenty of potential. A good playing size, and decision maker; watch out cause this kid is gonna be something damn good. :lol:
LennyBoy

Height: Dunno
Weight: Dunno

Came back from kicking 2 goals 8 in 2 forum games last year to produce a match winning final term effort of 3 goals and one assist to see the Saints home.
Good one on one player who reads the play well.
Can be a bit of a kipper though from time to time, but shouldn't stop him kicking bags of goals.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple

Height: 176cm
Weight: 68kg

Known as "possum" to his teammates (after the St.Kilda player Mark McGough), HD is his club's 'Scott Muller'. Has a huge engine and has plenty of experience gathering touches but what he does with the ball must be the next step in his development. Could go as early as a late 2nd round or could slide to the rookie selections on draft day, according to the Burgatron.

Barney2
Club Player

We need pace. Simple as that. 2 pacy midfielders. End of story. Ruckman now covered till we develope that dutch ruckman called Van someone. King and Gardiner and Kosy are fine for now. PAce, pace pace is what we need and a another tall tall marking forward to replace G as Roo is better suited at CHF and plays further down the ground. Kos needs help down there and can also play ruck.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Hope we get Rioli

Saints94
SS Life Member

Homework

HGT:185cm

WGT:72kg

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Homework

lmao! :lol: :roll:

Saints94
SS Life Member

SaintBot wrote:

what does imao mean

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

what does imao mean
laughing my arse off

now really...how tall are you

Saints94
SS Life Member

SaintBot wrote:
homework wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

what does imao mean
laughing my arse off

now really...how tall are you
185cm :x

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Interesting perspective on Rance:
Rance's style of play this year, was to hit the ball hard, stay in the contest as long as possible and recieve the ball at speed, has worked well for him, but he has no real vertical leap and is suspect under the ball, is slightly tangle footed at slow speed and has slightly hard hands, was rescued more than once this year by Chad Morrison when his man started to push of the rebound and kick goals after Swans turnovers, was usually moved onto the ball. Would think he is higher rated by footy watchers (1-10) then AFL scouts (10-20) Is a top prospect but like most talls has holes to fill.
From one of the more astute draft watchers on BigFooty.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The best Phantom Draft on BigFooty, from a guy who has his ear to the ground in terms of who each club are looking at:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... ost9449172

Worth a read for anyone interested in the draft this year. Terrific write-ups.

Has St Kilda selecting

#9 - Cyril Rioli (pacy half forward)
#42 - Aaron Joseph (on-baller)
#56 - Brent Connelly (tall young ruck)
#68 - Cruize Gartlett (small forward)

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

cheers for the link owts...

very interesting read.

Image I believe Rioli will end up at one of Essendon, St Kilda or Adelaide. He will not go past Adelaide at pick 10 and Essendon would be the earliest club to consider him but i dont think he is what they need. Brisbane and Fremantle were the only two clubs (aparently) to not speak to the most interviewed player at draft camp. Adelaide and St Kilda showing the most interest.

Image I like the sound of Connelly. More info availble?

Image Joseph: http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news ... 66552.html - he was best for agility at draft camp

not sure about another small forward though. cruize garlett

Bevo27

Myke Cook from St Bedes Mentone is a big chance to go in the draft. Luke Beveridge is across him and knows how good he is. Sure must be a chance for us. Quick 182cm with great verticle leap. Played at Sandringham Dragons.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Quotes on Connelly from BigFooty:
he is a josh fraser like ruckman who competes well in the ruck and excels around the ground......he has kicked 20 goals this year which is good for a ruckman....he also looks like he has grown a bit taller and would be pushing 200+cms.....got invited to draft camp too....
Not a bad ruckman. Moves around the ground quite well, although he may be a bit one dimensional. I mean he isn't agile or fast enough or strong enough to play key position. However he did come second in Power's goal kicking on 22.

Bevo27

Bevo27 wrote:Myke Cook from St Bedes Mentone is a big chance to go in the draft. Luke Beveridge is across him and knows how good he is. Sure must be a chance for us. Quick 182cm with great verticle leap. Played at Sandringham Dragons.
Another St bedes mentone player Brett Collins. We looked at him last year. Hawthorn got him before us. Worth a look on video.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

With pick 9 I just desperately hope we pick a midfielder.

Would be happy with any of Rioli, Ebert, Ward, Myers or Veszpremi (assuming that Cotchin, Morton, Masten and Palmer are all gone).

After that our picks will probably be a gamble. There are plenty of raw ruckmen in the draft and we'd still be able to take one with pick 42 or 58.

From our 4 picks (in the ND and possibly PSD) hopefully we come away with 2 midfielders, a ruckman and a key defender.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Quotes on Connelly from BigFooty:
he is a josh fraser like ruckman who competes well in the ruck and excels around the ground......he has kicked 20 goals this year which is good for a ruckman....he also looks like he has grown a bit taller and would be pushing 200+cms.....got invited to draft camp too....
Not a bad ruckman. Moves around the ground quite well, although he may be a bit one dimensional. I mean he isn't agile or fast enough or strong enough to play key position. However he did come second in Power's goal kicking on 22.
from reading that i would hope we take him with pick 42 if there is nothing much better. if we leave him till our third pick and miss out ill be very disapointed.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:We need pace. Simple as that. 2 pacy midfielders. End of story. Ruckman now covered till we develope that dutch ruckman called Van someone. King and Gardiner and Kosy are fine for now. PAce, pace pace is what we need and a another tall tall marking forward to replace G as Roo is better suited at CHF and plays further down the ground. Kos needs help down there and can also play ruck.
We don't need pace, when have you seen us be soudnly beaten in the first quarter because we couldn't keep up with the opposition?
If you have seen us struggling to keep up in the 2nd 3rd of 4th quarters it isn't because of lack of pace it's lack of fitness. Somebody said we were lacking pace on the radio once and now everyone repeats it as fact, it's just not true :evil: :evil:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Barney2 wrote:We need pace. Simple as that. 2 pacy midfielders. End of story. Ruckman now covered till we develope that dutch ruckman called Van someone. King and Gardiner and Kosy are fine for now. PAce, pace pace is what we need and a another tall tall marking forward to replace G as Roo is better suited at CHF and plays further down the ground. Kos needs help down there and can also play ruck.
We don't need pace, when have you seen us be soudnly beaten in the first quarter because we couldn't keep up with the opposition?
If you have seen us struggling to keep up in the 2nd 3rd of 4th quarters it isn't because of lack of pace it's lack of fitness. Somebody said we were lacking pace on the radio once and now everyone repeats it as fact, it's just not true :evil: :evil:
acctually our 2nd and 3rd quarters were our best

1st and 4th our worst

i have to say we do lack pace but it is over-rated

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Matt Burgan's "Phantom Draft" will be on afl.com.au on Thursday 22 Nov (2 days before the draft) !!

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Brett Collins

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

i have numerous articles on mainly McEvoy and Dawson Simpson which i can type up if you want any information and stats on the boys. I live in the area, so the local paper publishes articles mainly based on these kids, but if i dig around ill see who else i can find! So if your interested ill publish them within a few days!

I am particularly interested in McEvoy he seems to be a great prospect, although im not sure if he should be taken at #9. Maybe a lower pick?

Go saints in '09!
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Here is one of the articles i managed to find.....

McEvoy, Simpson have massive shoes to fill 28/9/07 c/o Border Mail

National Talent manager Kevin Sheenhan predicts the Murray Bushranger’s production line of big men will continue in this year’s draft.

Sheehan said Dederang- Mount Beauty prospect Ben McEvoy was in the top handful of big men in the draft and a definite first round pick. Also Wodonga Raiders Dawson Simpson is in the mix as well.

McEvoy has been ultra-consistent this season- playing 17games, averaging 16 possessions, more than 8 marks and 15 hit outs per game- as well as kicking 27.12 for the season.

His record stacks up well against the potential No. 1 pick in Kruezer.

“Kruezer is ranked number one and deserves it, he has had an outstanding year, But then the like of McEvoy and Henderson are two of the taller blokes that would go next in the draftâ€

Go saints in '09!