Defence wins finals not midfields

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Defence wins finals not midfields

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 4:35pm
samoht wrote: Sun 29 Sep 2024 12:52pm Blakey wasn't too bad, I suppose.
Didn't Blakey play on AhChee?
Blakey tried.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

At some point in time over the last 20 years ...CURLY heard someone say 'defence wins finals not midfields'

It's a nice simple thing to remember and he's going with it. I mean it has been true in many games and I think also in a few Grand Finals in the last 20 years as well.

Its also true that you definitely need some players to win contest and clearances, you definitely need some forwards to kick goals...and before the game starts all players need to put on their footy boots

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 5:37pm At some point in time over the last 20 years ...CURLY heard someone say 'defence wins finals not midfields'

It's a nice simple thing to remember and he's going with it. I mean it has been true in many games and I think also in a few Grand Finals in the last 20 years as well.

Its also true that you definitely need some players to win contest and clearances, you definitely need some forwards to kick goals...and before the game starts all players need to put on their footy boots
Nice post. Irrelevant drivel but nice and long.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 5:38pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 5:37pm At some point in time over the last 20 years ...CURLY heard someone say 'defence wins finals not midfields'

You are probably the only person in Australia who thinks Brisbane's backline won them the game on Saturday.

You usually come on here and regurgitate opinions from people like Dermot Brereton but this time you went with your own brain fart.

Anyway...Well done on starting a thread.

At least it got the conversation going on the real reasons the Lions were so dominant

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 5:49pm

You are probably the only person in Australia who thinks Brisbane's backline won them the game on Saturday.

You usually come on here and regurgitate opinions from people like Dermot Brereton but this time you went with your own brain fart.

At least it got the conversation going on the real reasons the Lions were so dominant
Been mentioned plenty just not by you stat watchers.
Lions defence kept Sydney to 5 goals in 3/4 of a game but hey it had no impact on the result.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 5:53pm

Lions defence kept Sydney to 5 goals in 3/4 of a game but hey it had no impact on the result.
Sorry you can't do that!! You quoted stats

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 5:54pm

There’s no irrelevant goals in a scoreboard Cocko.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 6:02pm

You're brain fart headline is meaningless without context. The Grand Final wasn't won by the Lions backline... conversely the Lions mids and small forwards were awesome.

How many Lions defenders got votes in the Norm Smith? And ...if you want to blame Sydney's backline for that game... you're more stupid than I thought

This could go on forever because I know you won't concede that it was Brisbane's midfield dominance that set up the win.

You mentioned Dougal Howard and Cal Wilkie in your opening post. Tell me this oh wise one - would they have lined up on Lohmann and Ah Chee? Of course they wouldn't have.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ah Chee, Lohmann and Morris kicked 10 goals between them. That's the final margin!!

Add Rayner and the goals from mids and it's a telling story.

158 marks versus 88. The Lions controlled the footy. Their entries inside 50 were clean.

The Lions mids were amongst the best for disposal efficiency of all players on the ground. 22 marks inside 50 is an indication of lack of pressure from Swans midfield.

The Swans key backs weren't slaughtered by the Lions KP Forwards

CURLY tells us the Swans backline lost the game

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Sep 2024 9:07am Swans best midfield in the AFL and have been belted twice in Grand Finals.

Their defence is poor and they’ve been exposed as a result. Lyon has built our defence over the last two seasons and once the transition through our half backs to attack improves our game will stack up in big games.

It also helps to have a gun key tall forward like Max King to unsettle the opposition defence. Sydney’s talls offer little threat to a defence.
# Curly knows football 😂😂😂

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 7:47pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 6:02pm

You're brain fart headline is meaningless without context. The Grand Final wasn't won by the Lions backline... conversely the Lions mids and small forwards were awesome.

How many Lions defenders got votes in the Norm Smith? And ...if you want to blame Sydney's backline for that game... you're more stupid than I thought

This could go on forever because I know you won't concede that it was Brisbane's midfield dominance that set up the win.

You mentioned Dougal Howard and Cal Wilkie in your opening post. Tell me this oh wise one - would they have lined up on Lohmann and Ah Chee? Of course they wouldn't have.
Of course Howard wouldn’t have. He’d take Daniher but I think Ah Chee may have gone to Wilkie to try and quell his influence.

At the end of the day Sydney managed 5 goals in 3/4 of a Grand Final. Brisbanes defence destroyed Sydney. They repeatedly turned the ball over and exposed Sydney on the way out.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:04pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Sep 2024 9:07am Swans best midfield in the AFL and have been belted twice in Grand Finals.

Their defence is poor and they’ve been exposed as a result. Lyon has built our defence over the last two seasons and once the transition through our half backs to attack improves our game will stack up in big games.

It also helps to have a gun key tall forward like Max King to unsettle the opposition defence. Sydney’s talls offer little threat to a defence.
# Curly knows football 😂😂😂
Thanks champ can I use this as a reference for my new football gig?

D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 7:58pm Ah Chee, Lohmann and Morris kicked 10 goals between them. That's the final margin!!

158 marks versus 88. The Lions controlled the footy. Their entries inside 50 were clean.

The Lions mids were amongst the best for disposal efficiency of all players on the ground. 22 marks inside 50 is an indication of lack of pressure from Swans midfield.

The real question is, how have you only just come to the realization that Curly is clueless?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:06pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 7:58pm Ah Chee, Lohmann and Morris kicked 10 goals between them. That's the final margin!!

The real question is, how have you only just come to the realization that Curly is clueless?
He can’t unless there’s a stat to look up other wise he has nothing.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:15pm

Yes. Harris Andrews is a good player. Yes. Starcevich had a very good game, but by no means were they the difference

You started the thread blaming the Swans players for the loss and then you switched and did a 180 degree turn and credited the Lions defence

You're not only a real jerk but you're a real dumb arse

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:32pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:15pm

Yes. Harris Andrews is a good player. Yes. Starcevich had a very good game, but by no means were they the difference

You started the thread blaming the Swans players for the loss and then you switched and did a 180 degree turn and credited the Lions defence

You're not only a real jerk but you're a real dumb arse
Mmmmm now throwing off insults like a child.

As I said Sydney’s game is based on mids well it failed miserably again as defence wins finals.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, it was the Brisbane backs that beat the Sydney mids, you know it makes sense 🙃

#curlyknowsfootball

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:58pm Yep, it was the Brisbane backs that beat the Sydney mids, you know it makes sense 🙃

#curlyknowsfootball
And where theres Zig there must be Zag.

You have no clue you’re still trying to recover from your Howard comments.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:01pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:58pm Yep, it was the Brisbane backs that beat the Sydney mids, you know it makes sense 🙃

#curlyknowsfootball

That AA Nick Blakey is better than Dougal? I’m pretty comfortable with that one!

You should lead all your opinions on football with ‘Dougal is better’, just so everyone knows straight up to ignore everything after that and not waste their time 😆

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:52pm
As I said Sydney’s game is based on mids well it failed miserably again as defence wins finals.
Yes. I know you want to ignore Brisbane's midfield dominance. I know you want to ignore how poor many of the Swans mids and half forwards played.

You're like someone who reads the last page of a book and ignores all the characters in every chapter.

I know you want to believe what you wrote but you can't compress an epic novel into a single page. You can't summarise a game with a cliche

Sometimes things aren't as simple to explain with a generalisation. You understand that don't you?
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:05pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:01pm

#curlyknowsfootball

That AA Nick Blakey is better than Dougal? I’m pretty comfortable with that one!

You should lead all your opinions on football with ‘Dougal is better’, just so everyone knows straight up to ignore everything after that and not waste their time 😆
See that’s what makes you an imbecile amongst other things. No where did I say Howard was a better player. You of course as you know nothing can’t understand different players play different roles. I’d prefer Zane Cordy playing on the oppositions best key tall over Nick Daicos.

Now moron does that mean Zane is a better player than Nick.

Think now moron think.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:05pm
Yes. I know you want to ignore Brisbane's midfield dominance. I know you want to ignore how poor many of the Swans mids and half forwards played.

You're like someone who reads the last page of a book and ignores all the characters in every chapter.

I know you want to believe what you wrote but you can't compress an epic novel into a single page. You can't summarise a game with a cliche

Sometimes things aren't as simple to explain with a generalisation. You understand that don't you?
Why were Sydney’s half forwards no good?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:10pm

If you see Firey at the scene of every fire, does that mean you put 2 and 2 together and blame him for starting the fires?

In other words do you just come to conclusions based on a brain fart?

Yes. Defenders were out in the field. So were forwards. So were midfielders

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:13pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2024 9:10pm

If you see Firey at the scene of every fire, does that mean you put 2 and 2 together and blame him for starting the fires?

In other words do you just come to conclusions based on a brain fart?

Yes. Defenders were out in the field. So were forwards. So were midfielders
Oh hang on you’re one of them I understand now. You weren’t that good we just played badly. Yeah never beaten just played poorly.
So let me guess the Brisbane HB’s destroyed there half forwards.

Thank you

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That one smelt as bad as your first post

Another brain fart