Would a merger or relocation be such a bad thing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Would a merger or relocation be such a bad thing

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 4:59pm I don’t think anyone on here can speak for South/Fitz people

Kevin Murray loves Brisbane Lyons

Bob Stilton loves the Sydney Swans

To survive and keep their history- they had to relocate
I haven't met a Fitzroy supporter thrilled with the merger or enthused by Brisbane. To them, their Footy team is gone.

Can't say I know a South Melbourne supporter, there weren't many of them. Any Sydney supporters I've met are Sydney-siders who know no history prior to Dr Edelston and Warwick Capper.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 5:15pm They had the choice

Keep their jumper and continue as the Swans or Lions or cease to exist like University

Sydney Swans team of the century is full of South Melbourne players
Ditto Brisbane

Brisbane Lions would care a lot more about their Fitzroy history than the Bears
That was true 20 years ago but a lot less now.

It will have no relevance in another 20 years at all. None whatsoever unfortunately.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

The Swans will live on

The Lions will live on

Sport is all about history and legacy, it’s never forgotten

We left StK for Moorabbin in 65 - have not really had any association with the suburb since. But our history at the JO is and will always be there - as bad as it was

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 9:08pm The Swans will live on

The Lions will live on

We left StK for Moorabbin in 65 - have not really had any association with the suburb since. But our history at the JO is and will always be there - as bad as it was
Not the real ones

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 7:02pm
B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 4:59pm I don’t think anyone on here can speak for South/Fitz people

I haven't met a Fitzroy supporter thrilled with the merger or enthused by Brisbane. To them, their Footy team is gone.

Can't say I know a South Melbourne supporter, there weren't many of them. Any Sydney supporters I've met are Sydney-siders who know no history prior to Dr Edelston and Warwick Capper.
Let me tell you, as a die hard, go every week with my family and sit on the fence watching the reserves, fanatic of the old Fitzroy FC, that my entire family of 6 no longer follows the Lions and could care less about them. It was a takeover and all mergers are and imo anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves. People often ask me whether I regret changing clubs because Brisbane won 3 flags. Firstly in my mind I never changed clubs, my club ceased to exist. Secondly if I had of decided to follow the merged club, it would have been the most hollow of flags watching it.

Watching my club getting taken over after the AFL killed it off was like watching a family member slowly dieing. We are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think that merging is the answer. The club will lose 2 x 27 year members in me and my brother and whilst success may come quickly, eventually history fades.

I see Kevin Murray as a sad old man trying to stay relevant, bribed by big wigs to help sell the idea

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 9:08pm The Swans will live on

The Lions will live on

The next generation won’t give a s***.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Watching Bob Skilton hugging AFL officials after the 2005 premiership was like watching the Vichy French hugging their Nazi oppressors during WW2 (saw it on a doco.) Sickening watching both. The ultimate sell out.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seriously

Some respect for a 9 times B&F and 3 times Brownlow medallist

You’re a fool

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 12:13am
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2024 7:02pm

Let me tell you, as a die hard, go every week with my family and sit on the fence watching the reserves, fanatic of the old Fitzroy FC, that my entire family of 6 no longer follows the Lions and could care less about them. It was a takeover and all mergers are and imo anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves. People often ask me whether I regret changing clubs because Brisbane won 3 flags. Firstly in my mind I never changed clubs, my club ceased to exist. Secondly if I had of decided to follow the merged club, it would have been the most hollow of flags watching it.

Watching my club getting taken over after the AFL killed it off was like watching a family member slowly dieing. We are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think that merging is the answer. The club will lose 2 x 27 year members in me and my brother and whilst success may come quickly, eventually history fades.

I see Kevin Murray as a sad old man trying to stay relevant, bribed by big wigs to help sell the idea
Hope that makes things a little bit clearer for you BM

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s one person’s narrow view

There are thousands of Ex Fitzroy supporters that follow Brisbane

Harsh on Kevin Murray

He’s possibley Fitzroy’s greatest ever player - for a die hard Roy fan to bag him out - strange

It’d be like us bagging out Baldock

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I’d be dirty on baldock if he endorsed a merger

Pretty sure he wouldn’t though

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 8:41am Seriously

Some respect for a 9 times B&F and 3 times Brownlow medallist

You’re a fool
And the fact is that the Club he was a champion for, no longer exists.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 10:34am That’s one person’s narrow view

Have you actually met any?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 10:34am That’s one person’s narrow view

Harsh on Kevin Murray

He’s possibley Fitzroy’s greatest ever player - for a die hard Roy fan to bag him out - strange

It’d be like us bagging out Baldock
Narrow view? Hopefully you never have to be in that position BM.
And if Baldock was alive and publicly endorsed a merger of our club, I guarantee you the love for the man would dissipate overnight. The club is bigger than any individual.

I respect other Fitzroy supporters right to choose and know plenty who still follow the Lions. Almost all of them say it’s not the same. Watching them play in Victoria about 6 times a year, plus the fact it’s very apparent they’re the BRISBANE Lions, not Fitzroy Lions. Most pragmatically say, it’s better than nothing.

For me, I’m just relieved that I found my passion with the Saints and probably followed them longer now than I followed the Roys. I liken it to a widower who has lost their wife. I’ve remarried and am as happy as I once were. I’d rather that than trying to make the marriage work with something that was clearly compromised

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If StK relocated (which I don’t want) I’d follow the jumper

My allegiance is to the saints jumper - not the suburb

If we we’re Moorabbin Saints, Frankston Saints, Sothern Saints, Bayside Saints - it would annoy me a bit - but not overly - Western Bulldogs are an example - I definitely could not follow another team under ANY circumstances- I hate them all with a passion

I’m interested to see where my heart will go in 2028

In every other sport I follow Tassie passionately

Dream was as a kid to wear the map with T on the chest

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 2:27pm If StK relocated (which I don’t want) I’d follow the jumper

If we we’re Moorabbin Saints, Frankston Saints, Sothern Saints, Bayside Saints - it would annoy me a bit - but not overly - Western Bulldogs are an example - I definitely could not follow another team under ANY circumstances- I hate them all with a passion

I’m interested to see where my heart will go in 2028

In every other sport I follow Tassie passionately

Dream was as a kid to wear the map with T on the chest
I'm sure they'll be over the moon getting you :lol:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I am sure they would gladly accept my membership money and have a passionate supporter

I am a huge Saints fan - obviously

A very frustrated one too!

Firey- where did you have us finishing this season? 15th?
Are you happy with the teams performance so far?
Who is responsible for 1/ win-loss and 2/ our style of play

I actually love Rossy and he’s a pretty good coach

But I’m not happy with some things he does. He’s not perfect, or above criticism.
If we hold our last two coaches accountable for results- he is NO different

We arguably have the best list we’ve had probably since 2020
And are playing ordinary footy

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 2:27pm If StK relocated (which I don’t want) I’d follow the jumper

Yeah fair enough. What if we became the NT Saints?

Those other ‘saints’ versions you put fwd are essentially the St Kilda footy club rebranded. Just as the Western Bulldogs were. Fitzroy home ground was junction oval, Victoria Park, Princes Park, Western Oval. 2000’s north is a bridge too far though. They took our club off us and rebranded it with another club

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 2:59pm I am sure they would gladly accept my membership money and have a passionate supporter

I am a huge Saints fan - obviously

A very frustrated one too!

Firey- where did you have us finishing this season? 15th?
Are you happy with the teams performance so far?
Who is responsible for 1/ win-loss and 2/ our style of play

I actually love Rossy and he’s a pretty good coach

But I’m not happy with some things he does. He’s not perfect, or above criticism.
If we hold our last two coaches accountable for results- he is NO different

We arguably have the best list we’ve had probably since 2020
And are playing ordinary footy
I had us playing finals, so yeah, I’m very disappointed. Why?
We had a bad run with injury and reports which I reckon stuff the balance of the side up but I can see that the coach is putting the right things in place just by looking at the last game. I see where the improvement is coming.
He is blooding the kids and with the right decisions made at the recruitment table I see us in the finals next year

I think George Michael said it you gotta have faith

Sanctorum
Club Player

Good for you Moods - Lions' loss was St Kilda's gain, there are probably quite a few more Fitzroy and South Melbourne supporters who switched their allegiance and membership to other Melbourne teams.

All of this discussion is quite futile actually, there's not a snowflake's chance in hell that the AFL will seek to merge St Kilda with any team, local or interstate.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 3:32pm

there are probably quite a few more Fitzroy and South Melbourne supporters who switched their allegiance and membership to other Melbourne teams.

I know for a fact that there were. In my family alone, my parents decided to support North, one of my brothers supports the Bulldogs as he lives over that way, and me and my younger brother chose the Saints (he lives in cheltenham) Interestingly I haven't met an ex Roy boy who follows one of the big clubs. I always loved Tony Lockett and by the early mid 90's would go to Saints games when I could to watch with my best mate who was a Saints fan, when we weren't playing local footy ourselves. I loved the passion of Saints supporters and really wanted to support a club that if they won a flag it would actually mean something. In 97 I wasn't as devastated as some as it was my first year following them. By 2009 I was heartbroken.

One of my very good mates is a mad hawk. He acknowledges that Don Scott is a bit of a knob but won't hear a bad word about him. He stood up and prevented a merger with Melbourne when others were prepared to roll over. People remember that stuff.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

a merge with an interstate side i couldn't stomach - your identify is gone. A relocation i could stomach. sydney are south melbourne to me, brisbane are not fitzroy. but i'm not a melbourne lad. if i were then likely a relocation would hurt a lot more.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Merger or relocation would be the end of me as a Saints supporter....and my family.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Firey

That’s what I’m talking about - gotta have faith

Nope - I gotta have evidence

I am an atheist- I don’t put my faith in the hope something exists with no proof! Same with Footy, unless I see evidence of good decisions - I will continue to critique

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2024 6:40pm Firey

That’s what I’m talking about - gotta have faith

Nope - I gotta have evidence

I am an atheist- I don’t put my faith in the hope something exists with no proof! Same with Footy, unless I see evidence of good decisions - I will continue to critique
I am also an atheist
But I concentrate on the potential, the positives anyone can criticise after the fact
So did you see any good decisions,positives last game?
I’m concentrating on things that may assist in the future not criticising things that I know that the coach and players are already aware of