At the Bye summary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: At the Bye summary

Like I said earlier in this thread, I am in no doubt that the mid-season review that Football Operations will be working on right now will focus on what has changed since round 7 to explain why, with pretty well the same personnel, the team has failed to play at the same level that they did in the first 7 rounds.

By rights, the return of Max King 2 weeks ago should have made the forward line far more cohesive, but for reasons unknown the players are no longer playing as a team, there's been an appalling lack of on-field leadership and many players are just not contributing the way they did before round 8.

On the surface it would appear that it should not be all that difficult for things to improve after the bye, with 12 games left St Kilda needs to win 7 to play finals, and if they do indeed recover their mojo, I expect the following results:

Games remaining:

13 - Sydney - SCG - L
14 - Richmond - MCG - W
15 - Brisbane - Marvel - L
16 - West Coast - Marvel - W
17 - Melbourne - Marvel - L
18 - Gold Coast - Carrara - W
19 - North Melb - Marvel - W
20 - Hawthorn - Marvel - W
21 - Carlton - Marvel - W
22 - Richmond - Marvel - W
23 - Brisbane - Gabba - L

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 2:19pm 7-4 looks good but teams have now work us out, so a change up is required, hopefully RTB can tweak a few things going forward and get us back on track.
We’ve got a pretty soft draw in the run home so I’m confident we’ll stay in the 8, but when the whips start cracking in the finals we’ll be found wanting.

We really need to change up the midfield, Crouch, Steele and Ross have been good but they need a chop out. Get Windy, Owens and Phillipou in there on a regular basis and Sincs needs to play more in the guts than he is currently.

If Membrey doesn’t play then we need another tall option up forward and preferably not Cordy or Campbell.

Give Heath a chance, he may not be 100% ready but maybe just maybe he can adapt quickly at a higher level.
We’re kidding ourselves if we think poor old Roma can ruck all year on his own and I’d rather get games into Heath than the other 2.
It's interesting how we get worked out and then can't play "our way" from then on BUT the Magpies have played the same way for a season and half and No One is "working them out".
There must be more than one issue at play here, maybe it's "our game plan" is mostly based on system whereas the better teams play with system and talent.

RTB said in a Press conference at training about 2 weeks ago we weren't the most talented team going around and it's being proven, again.
I hope RTB, the explorer, is working out who to keep and who to eject at years end.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:26pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:23pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 1:58pm
saynta wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 1:46pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 9:11pm
B.M wrote: Thu 01 Jun 2023 9:10pm I think you’ll be disappointed
Can’t be anymore disappointing than your man Seb
Yeah, your 'master coach' has turned Seb from a bloody good footballer into a "plodder".
You wanted to keep Brett Ratten then??!
Is that what you are saying??
Form an opinion of **** off is my view and stop living off my posts cause you have no ideas/thoughts of your own
You’re like a really decrepit, clapped out old pilot fish who needs to be gutted
Just putting it out there what lots think so don’t go pissin n moaning like usual
Brett was 8/3 at the bye, any concerns Lyon is only 7/3 at the Bye with a list that looks way shakier than it did this time last year.

Deeply concerning we got physically monstered by the Hawks and got overrun by this years wooden spooners, we like gave up in the last 5 minutes of the game. I'm very concerned we have a coach who's meant to get the best out of players and has a "system" and gets total buy-in but we gave up in the last five minutes of a game when we were so far in front. Something is wrong and I can't put my finger on it, any clues?
It's an exploratory year. Didn't you know?
Yeah I've heard a rumour about this "exploratory" year but it's got me confused, is it like the type of exploration you'd get with a colonoscopy?

The thing I love about Ross is his salesmanship, and I genuinely mean that, the guy could sell ice to the Eskimos and as someone that has a PhD in sales and marketing I can really dig the dude.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:49pm Like I said earlier in this thread, I am in no doubt that the mid-season review that Football Operations will be working on right now will focus on what has changed since round 7 to explain why, with pretty well the same personnel, the team has failed to play at the same level that they did in the first 7 rounds.

By rights, the return of Max King 2 weeks ago should have made the forward line far more cohesive, but for reasons unknown the players are no longer playing as a team, there's been an appalling lack of on-field leadership and many players are just not contributing the way they did before round 8.

On the surface it would appear that it should not be all that difficult for things to improve after the bye, with 12 games left St Kilda needs to win 7 to play finals, and if they do indeed recover their mojo, I expect the following results:

Games remaining:

13 - Sydney - SCG - L
14 - Richmond - MCG - W
I notice all of your posts start off with, "I have no doubt"

Fascinating, and it has me asking myself, how does one acquire such doubtless observations?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

For the remaining games, we need to win all of those and one more to make up for the Hawks L.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, your 'master coach' has turned Seb from a bloody good footballer into a "plodder".
Form an opinion of **** off is my view and stop living off my posts cause you have no ideas/thoughts of your own
You’re like a really decrepit, clapped out old pilot fish who needs to be gutted
Just putting it out there what lots think so don’t go pissin n moaning like usual
Brett was 8/3 at the bye, any concerns Lyon is only 7/3 at the Bye with a list that looks way shakier than it did this time last year.

Deeply concerning we got physically monstered by the Hawks and got overrun by this years wooden spooners, we like gave up in the last 5 minutes of the game. I'm very concerned we have a coach who's meant to get the best out of players and has a "system" and gets total buy-in but we gave up in the last five minutes of a game when we were so far in front. Something is wrong and I can't put my finger on it, any clues?
You prefer we stay with Brett?
I think you best cone clean
Rest is noise/trolling

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:52pm
saintbob wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 2:19pm 7-4 looks good but teams have now work us out, so a change up is required, hopefully RTB can tweak a few things going forward and get us back on track.
We’ve got a pretty soft draw in the run home so I’m confident we’ll stay in the 8, but when the whips start cracking in the finals we’ll be found wanting.

We really need to change up the midfield, Crouch, Steele and Ross have been good but they need a chop out. Get Windy, Owens and Phillipou in there on a regular basis and Sincs needs to play more in the guts than he is currently.

If Membrey doesn’t play then we need another tall option up forward and preferably not Cordy or Campbell.

Give Heath a chance, he may not be 100% ready but maybe just maybe he can adapt quickly at a higher level.
We’re kidding ourselves if we think poor old Roma can ruck all year on his own and I’d rather get games into Heath than the other 2.
It's interesting how we get worked out and then can't play "our way" from then on BUT the Magpies have played the same way for a season and half and No One is "working them out".
There must be more than one issue at play here, maybe it's "our game plan" is mostly based on system whereas the better teams play with system and talent.

RTB said in a Press conference at training about 2 weeks ago we weren't the most talented team going around and it's being proven, again.
I hope RTB, the explorer, is working out who to keep and who to eject at years end.
Bang on!

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:26pm

It's an exploratory year. Didn't you know?
:wink: Exploring how to go about collecting another wooden spoon?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 7:25pm

Rest is noise/trolling
At least read you posts before pressing the f****** submit button. :roll:
Last edited by saynta on Sat 03 Jun 2023 12:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:52pm

Every team gets worked out. The defensive, high pressure system, isn't new and isn't unbeatable, but not many teams have the fire power up forward to beat it.

Whats impressive is that it was in place in one preason and it didn't drop off for 30 quarters, this was done drawing on our running ability and fitness and you become aware of the high end runners you have.

We didn't need to win clearances we didn't need as much of the ball as our opponents bit we didn't roll any teams until the last half of the Gold Coast team.
Unfortunately, while we were figuring out how to ricochet our way to a winning score, we also opened ourselves up to the same ricochet defence tactics.

Our mids were good on rebound but can't defend them at the same time.

So, Steele gets injured, Crouch tries to go forward with the ball more often and Seb Ross becomes opponent conscious and slips out the back of clearances. Gresham gets better in the same time.

Hayes, Harvey and Enright attacked the ball. There is clearly a different system being demanded and the team has produced nothing but run and tackle pressure since Ratten took over.

This is the reality of the list. Steele, King, Sinclair, NWM, Hill, Owens, Philippou, Wood, Membrey Hotton and Winghager are the ones that are going to improve us the most in the, fastest time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 8:31pm
Teflon wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 7:25pm

Rest is noise/trolling
At lest read you posts before pressing the f****** submit button. :roll:
Fair go!
No one reads your shyte
Do you think it’s read?

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we are about to work out the Swans and beat them easily.
The makeup of our side is very different to last season and our coaching group definitely is.
Hopefully we kick straight and really drive home the advantage.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 7:18pm For the remaining games, we need to win all of those and one more to make up for the Hawks L.
Swans are very gettable this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
older saint
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 6:49pm Like I said earlier in this thread, I am in no doubt that the mid-season review that Football Operations will be working on right now will focus on what has changed since round 7 to explain why, with pretty well the same personnel, the team has failed to play at the same level that they did in the first 7 rounds.

Games remaining:

13 - Sydney - SCG - L
14 - Richmond - MCG - W
my ladder predictor had pretty much the same as above ( had us losing 1 richmond game. Missing round 23 Geelong - Bris Rdn 24.
Had loss for Geel which had us finish 7th or 8th depending on %

Point to note i picked 2 winners in round 11 so probably not too accurate.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 12:15am
Otiman wrote: Fri 02 Jun 2023 7:18pm For the remaining games, we need to win all of those and one more to make up for the Hawks L.
Swans are very gettable this season.
Unfortunately so are we and its their home game. Fingers crossed but.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I guess after that loss to Hawthorn, our backs are now against the wall. The question is: will we stand, or will we fall?

Many of us are now getting a nasty sense of familiarity to the 2022 season’s second half. Gosh! If we are to fall, I just want to see this team at least try and go toe to toe with their opponents for the remainder of the season.

I, for one, will mighty pissed off we do another “Roll Over Beethoven” performance to the Swines on Thursday night :twisted:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 3:41pm I guess after that loss to Hawthorn, our backs are now against the wall. The question is: will we stand, or will we fall?

Many of us are now getting a nasty sense of familiarity to the 2022 season’s second half. Gosh! If we are to fall, I just want to see this team at least try and go toe to toe with their opponents for the remainder of the season.

I, for one, will mighty pissed off we do another “Roll Over Beethoven” performance to the Swines on Thursday night :twisted:
I get what you're saying Saintermist and there'll be many supporters who feel the same.

My thoughts on this season are that in light of all the new coaching personnel, plus the fact that St Kilda are a long way off having a strong core of A Grade players and essentially still in 'rebuild' phase, we're better off backing off holding high expectations this year.

My predictions elsewhere for the remaining 12 games of winning at least 7 is based on the current squad recovering the winning form they displayed in rounds 1-7, but that may or may not transpire, it's in the laps of the proverbial gods!

Either way, Ross Lyon has said from the start that he is making no promises for 2023 and that's fine by me.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 5:30pm
Sainternist wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 3:41pm I guess after that loss to Hawthorn, our backs are now against the wall. The question is: will we stand, or will we fall?

I get what you're saying Saintermist and there'll be many supporters who feel the same.

My thoughts on this season are that in light of all the new coaching personnel, plus the fact that St Kilda are a long way off having a strong core of A Grade players and essentially still in 'rebuild' phase, we're better off backing off holding high expectations this year.

My predictions elsewhere for the remaining 12 games of winning at least 7 is based on the current squad recovering the winning form they displayed in rounds 1-7, but that may or may not transpire, it's in the laps of the proverbial gods!

Either way, Ross Lyon has said from the start that he is making no promises for 2023 and that's fine by me.
Finally sense prevails
You are spot on
This year - he said from start - was about finding out about this list
The fact we over achieved in first 8 rounds isn’t Lyons fault but I have noted he’s hardly been gushing over the wins he calls them workmanlike….cause he knows this list is t good enough to trouble the big 4 so he’ll bide his time and leave the panicking for the Chicken Little club

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Cop out

Took the job with no idea of capabilities

Croc of s***

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 12:15am Cop out

Croc of s***
Looking at the way the list has already been flipped a few times in the last decade, he has stated, he took the job, knowing they had running power and has made no secret he wants run, pressure, pace and skill.

He, like the rest of us, knows we have spades of run, pressure and when he have the ball running, we find pace.

What everyone is now bluntly facing, is our lack of HIGHLY skilled mids who possess the the other attributes and can take the ball forward consistently from stoppage.

The players who have this potential, scale off dramatically after 26 years of age.
we have a fairly deep support cast and there has been much gone right with our recent draft picks (as young as the are) and IMHO we are going to see 2 more blossom quickly when they too get a taste of a high performance environment, with injury free runs at a pre-season.

There is still a need for experience inclding Ross (he does the work), Billings and Mackenzie and why wouldn't you give them every chance to 'do the work' in the CURRENT REGIME. But what are they capable of? Billing was good, 2 year ago, that's a fair question. Can he get 30 + in the VFL for the next 5 matches. He iscrecent form is a few games and a break down.
No idea of capabilities could mean, some of these coodabeen champions, codabeen pushed harder to be fitter, rather than just more talented or having impact, unreliable finish and lack of stamina.
We won't even fluke a flag this year. What's the point? N ext year will be too late to cull.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting from Wilkie -admits in this article there’s nothing wrong with the system…the issue is with its application that blind Freddy can see…

Hard to see how Lyon kicks the ball for them once they’re on field

Can’t help but think about it’: Saints’ 2022 run home in back of players’ minds

Saints star Callum Wilkie says coach Ross Lyon has been “sharp” with his players as they try to avoid a repeat of last season’s slump.
St Kilda vice-captain Callum Wilkie says it is hard to keep his side’s 2022 second half slump from his thoughts as the Saints return from their bye with a similar record to last year.
The Saints were a top-four prospect with an 8-3 record this time last season, but only managed to win three of their final 11 games to miss the eight, but Wilkie says only “little fixes” are required to avoid the same fate in 2023.
He said the Saints’ shock 10-point loss to Hawthorn before the bye had highlighted a drop-off in effort over the last few rounds.
“The performance against Hawthorn put a sour taste in the mouth on the week off, but it was good to get away and refresh the mind,” Wilkie said.
“(Our) effort had tapered off; we probably played some inconsistent footy in the last month or so.
“It was a good reminder coming in this week and seeing how poor our effort was and our compliance to structure, which are all little fixes.”

Wilkie said he was confident the Saints’ strengthened system under new coach Ross Lyon would help them avoid a repeat of last season’s collapse.
“You can’t help but think about it, because it was last year, but we’ve got a good system and players; the boys are eager and hungry,” he said.
He said Lyon had fired up over the Hawthorn loss but was still coaching with a good balance in his communication.
“He’s been a bit sharper this week, and deservedly so … we didn’t put in the performance we wanted to and we needed a good hit-up,” Wilkie said.
“It was just a little sharp reminder of what we didn’t do well, and how we went away from our footy.
“He’s been sharp when he needs to be, he’s been cuddly when he needs to be – he’s had a good balance.”
The Saints will again face Lance Franklin in a milestone match when the 36-year-old reaches 350 games on Thursday night at the SCG, with Wilkie saying he was in ‘awe” of the superstar forward whenever they went head to head.
“I played in his 300th … I was lucky I didn’t get the job that day; I don’t know how many he kicked,” Wilkie said.
“All those games you look back on, and you’re happy you’re part of those milestones for such a champion player.
“I’ve been lucky enough to play on him a few times and you’re always in a bit of awe of who you’re standing on and what he’s done for the game, so it will be a special night.”
Wilkie said Rising Star contender Mitch Owens was feeling good and set to return on Thursday after suffering “no residual effects” after a horror head knock in round 10 against GWS.
“I think we probably missed (Owens) a bit … he’s a 20-year-old, it’s hard to say that we’re missing a 20-year-old, but with how much spark, energy and effort he brings … we’re keen for him to come back into the side,” he said.

“Yeah….nah””
Saint2
Club Player

Croc of s***
Tend to agree with you- there was a big element of bulldu$t sold to supporters in the whole saga of signing Lyon, and now the gloss is gradually wearing off, Lyon is looking on par with Ratts.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Fair call, Sanctorum! Yeah, my expectations for this season were that of a similar finish ladder-wise to last year, due to the adjustments for all to make under a new coach and staff. The problem is, they had a great start out of the gates and many said we’ll be playing finals by the time round 6 came around. I guess the recent drop off is due to a few things, like the opposition figuring out Lyon’s game plan (bloody Port are a nemesis!), younger players’ confidence dropping and some of the more experienced players going missing at the same.

Of course, there is a question of the amount quality we have on our list, particularly in our midfield. This is a problem the club hasn’t solved for over a decade now. In regards to that, I’m not sure if recruiting a gun-for-hire A-grade mid is the answer. Perhaps persisting in hitting the draft is the way to go. The recent recruits via the draft in the last couple of years seem to be panning out really well. It’s as though players like Nas, Mitchito, Phillipou, etc are ready-made players. They are really taking to AFL level footy like ducks to water. We may just have the right people in charge of the recruiting at the moment. Let’s hope they can continue reeling in some more gun rookie players!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saint2 wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 8:25am

Croc of s***
Tend to agree with you- there was a big element of bulldu$t sold to supporters in the whole saga of signing Lyon, and now the gloss is gradually wearing off, Lyon is looking on par with Ratts.
Another newbie?
Is that you Vort?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 4:11pm

Fair call, Sanctorum! Yeah, my expectations for this season were that of a similar finish ladder-wise to last year, due to the adjustments for all to make under a new coach and staff. The problem is, they had a great start out of the gates and many said we’ll be playing finals by the time round 6 came around. I guess the recent drop off is due to a few things, like the opposition figuring out Lyon’s game plan (bloody Port are a nemesis!), younger players’ confidence dropping and some of the more experienced players going missing at the same.

Of course, there is a question of the amount quality we have on our list, particularly in our midfield. This is a problem the club hasn’t solved for over a decade now. In regards to that, I’m not sure if recruiting a gun-for-hire A-grade mid is the answer. Perhaps persisting in hitting the draft is the way to go. The recent recruits via the draft in the last couple of years seem to be panning out really well. It’s as though players like Nas, Mitchito, Phillipou, etc are ready-made players. They are really taking to AFL level footy like ducks to water. We may just have the right people in charge of the recruiting at the moment. Let’s hope they can continue reeling in some more gun rookie players!
I agree
These days we are seeing top end kids from draft able to come in and impact from get go
Build from there ….not recycled players we have to pay way overs (see Hill) from other clubs
Get as higher picks as we can ought be the motto

“Yeah….nah””