5 key players who must and can improve.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: 5 key players who must and can improve.

Teflon wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 10:14am
spert wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 9:47am What I hope Lyon will bring, is an improvement in overall team performance- especially consistency. Some of our bad or unexpected losses in the last year or two, was due to the team as a whole not having a real crack at the contest. Sure we want certain players to step up, but I feel that we expect more than they can deliver.
I tend to agree
As someone said to me recently….this list is not a typical Lyon list to take on….it doesn’t have a strong A grade group like 2009 Saints or Freo with stars available (it’s why I personally think Lyon would’ve loved Carlton…they have more of it and ought to be challenging and he likes it)
But what Lyon clearly sees with us is numerous players (may not be Fyfe level) who haven’t reached potential
IF he drags that out of them AND we can add some additional A grade talent over time he’ll get his list
It’s not normal Lyon style though so will be intriguing
But I agree with your point - Lyon’s strong suit has always been delivering teams that when st their best show up consistently
It will take him 2-3 years imo to get where he wants
For a Ross Fanboy you don't seem familiar with some of his core coaching beliefs, he stated he never studied our list when him and Basset were sharing a glass of red in the spa bath, he has also said he didn't study the lists when he took on the coaching role first time around and also when he took on Freo, although he did say he was aware of the talent on our list when he took the job first time around...he would have had to be living under a rock not to know how overflowing with raw talent that list possessed so not much study required in that instance.

He's also firm on his belief he doesn't coach skills, interesting considering he's taken on a list well short on talent and skill, my question to you is, do you know what his plan is to improve the talent and skill of the list? This area of his coaching will be fascinating to watch.

I share the sentiment of Spert's comment, maybe you are expecting more than many players will be able to deliver?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 11:49am Tut tut Teflon - don’t make it personal

The theory you’ve got to give something to get something is a fair statement

But giving up very good players for second round draft picks is stupidity

Do you realise how many second round picks are busts?

And you want to give up a Clark (who btw is a pick 7) a Billings (pick 3) Membrey (a 4 time leading goal kicker) a Ross (2 time B&F) etc… for pick 19-36 in the draft

Should I list the success of all our second rounders in the last 20 years

We get a second round pick every year - how about focusing on getting that right

And keeping our good players (who actually deliver)
Tut tut ??? Is that you Mr Mart going all school teacher on me?? It won’t get you extra points when you next run to mods…
how about you list the second round players who’ve gone on to be stars ??
That aside, pick 3 fir Billings is your justification for hanging on to him - if someone had e offered late first /early second for Billings when he had that fake pick 3 reputation (cause let’s just put this to bed now - he ain’t a pick 3’s arse) youd jump at it to improve the list
Anyway, cliched St Kilda fan response ….”let’s keep them all cause they’re stars..”
Problem is they aren’t when you compare them to players in top 4 dudes who you are ultimately trying to beat
Gentle reminder …it’s a TEAM sport ….fanboying all your players just means you stand still like we have for the past decade ….
Last edited by Teflon on Thu 29 Dec 2022 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmike65
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 1:59am
Scollop wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 12:04am
Teflon wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 9:57pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 9:34pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 8:42pm I’m somewhat miffed with the Membrey commentary

I think he’s an outright champion
I agree, the issue is he has been asked to play as a 2nd or 3rd tall rather than the highly talented medium forward he really is. When he gets a match up of similiar size to himself he excels, its when he has much taller opponents is when he struggles.
That may be true but the original point was - at a previous point in time- could you sell him and get a return on picks to snag an A grader kid …clearly not now
Tim’s ok
I’d take Bailey Fritz in a heartbeat over him
Teflon wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 10:54pm
B.M wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 10:48pm Bailey Fritz - seriously

Put him in our team, he’d be a hack. Beneficiary of a dominant midfield. I’ll go and check the numbers, but I’m pretty sure Tim has him covered

Another underrated player is Tim , rarely has a quiet game
Is an elite contested mark.

BTW
He has always played as a medium tall

Had Riewoldt, Bruce, King, Marshall throughout his entire career so far

As a medium/hybrid averages
13 possessions
6 marks (1.3 contested)
1.7 goals
0.5 goal assists
1.5 tackles

Over a 150 game career (257 goals)

That’s a solid career - not too many medium forwards in the AFL have those numbers - and he plays for an average team.
I think you should change your Nic from BM to BS
Once again the topic IS NOT is Tim Membrey a good player(he’s an ok No superstar only to one eyed Saint drongos )
The TOPIC was a point in time discussion on whether trading Tim at a time when his value may have yielded more for the team than what he did onfield.
Had I ever been able to secure a high 2nd for Tim….he’d be gone imo as the side with him in it for the last 10-12 years has been treading water
You keep arguing your player stats and leave the grown ups to have an adult chat on how we actually might get near a top 4 side before we all drop dead…
Oh and surely there’s nothing for you to run to mods again over is there “BM”??
https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4f20 ... 3c98f0/gif

What are you gunna come up with next Teflon? Jake Bowey over Hunter Clark

By the way… I think Fritz is gifted…as in he’s gifted most of his goals…he gets the footy handed to him on a platter.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C
Geez a Hunter Clark (who the club dangled for Trade last year) worshipper
What is with these Saints drop kicks going all fanboy over certain players who in the scheme of the comp are just OK??
First Membrey is better than Fritz cause “Fritz just plays in a good team” (how lane is that horsy chestnut??)
Now Hunter Clark is your example of Saints star studded quality??
Ah well….I suppose when you have 1 flag in 150 years you gotta expect a bit of wallowing in a mediocre fanboy shallow pool.. carry on

Bailey Fritsch is a gun forward..very difficult match up, brilliant at both in the air & at ground level, consistent goal kicker over several years…very different player to Membrey but both excellent players.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 3:47pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 1:59am
Scollop wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 12:04am
Teflon wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 9:57pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 9:34pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 8:42pm I’m somewhat miffed with the Membrey commentary

I think he’s an outright champion
I agree, the issue is he has been asked to play as a 2nd or 3rd tall rather than the highly talented medium forward he really is. When he gets a match up of similiar size to himself he excels, its when he has much taller opponents is when he struggles.
That may be true but the original point was - at a previous point in time- could you sell him and get a return on picks to snag an A grader kid …clearly not now
Tim’s ok
I’d take Bailey Fritz in a heartbeat over him
Teflon wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 10:54pm
B.M wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 10:48pm Bailey Fritz - seriously

Put him in our team, he’d be a hack. Beneficiary of a dominant midfield. I’ll go and check the numbers, but I’m pretty sure Tim has him covered

Another underrated player is Tim , rarely has a quiet game
Is an elite contested mark.

BTW
He has always played as a medium tall

Had Riewoldt, Bruce, King, Marshall throughout his entire career so far

As a medium/hybrid averages
13 possessions
6 marks (1.3 contested)
1.7 goals
0.5 goal assists
1.5 tackles

Over a 150 game career (257 goals)

That’s a solid career - not too many medium forwards in the AFL have those numbers - and he plays for an average team.
I think you should change your Nic from BM to BS
Once again the topic IS NOT is Tim Membrey a good player(he’s an ok No superstar only to one eyed Saint drongos )
The TOPIC was a point in time discussion on whether trading Tim at a time when his value may have yielded more for the team than what he did onfield.
Had I ever been able to secure a high 2nd for Tim….he’d be gone imo as the side with him in it for the last 10-12 years has been treading water
You keep arguing your player stats and leave the grown ups to have an adult chat on how we actually might get near a top 4 side before we all drop dead…
Oh and surely there’s nothing for you to run to mods again over is there “BM”??
https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4f20 ... 3c98f0/gif

What are you gunna come up with next Teflon? Jake Bowey over Hunter Clark

By the way… I think Fritz is gifted…as in he’s gifted most of his goals…he gets the footy handed to him on a platter.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C
Geez a Hunter Clark (who the club dangled for Trade last year) worshipper
What is with these Saints drop kicks going all fanboy over certain players who in the scheme of the comp are just OK??
First Membrey is better than Fritz cause “Fritz just plays in a good team” (how lane is that horsy chestnut??)
Now Hunter Clark is your example of Saints star studded quality??
Ah well….I suppose when you have 1 flag in 150 years you gotta expect a bit of wallowing in a mediocre fanboy shallow pool.. carry on

Bailey Fritsch is a gun forward..very difficult match up, brilliant at both in the air & at ground level, consistent goal kicker over several years…very different player to Membrey but both excellent players.
Agree mike
But on this site he’s average cause he plays in a good side while Membrey is the second coming !!
You gotta laugh how we overrate our players drastically
I’d still take Fritz over Membrey any day of the week

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 12:45pm
B.M wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 11:49am Tut tut Teflon - don’t make it personal

The theory you’ve got to give something to get something is a fair statement

But giving up very good players for second round draft picks is stupidity

Do you realise how many second round picks are busts?

And you want to give up a Clark (who btw is a pick 7) a Billings (pick 3) Membrey (a 4 time leading goal kicker) a Ross (2 time B&F) etc… for pick 19-36 in the draft

Should I list the success of all our second rounders in the last 20 years

We get a second round pick every year - how about focusing on getting that right

And keeping our good players (who actually deliver)
Laughable suggestions as you so rightly point out. :wink:
Just hilarious stuff!!!
Champagne comedy you lot lol

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 2:54pm
spert wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 9:47am What I hope Lyon will bring, is an improvement in overall team performance- especially consistency. Some of our bad or unexpected losses in the last year or two, was due to the team as a whole not having a real crack at the contest. Sure we want certain players to step up, but I feel that we expect more than they can deliver.
I tend to agree
As someone said to me recently….this list is not a typical Lyon list to take on….it doesn’t have a strong A grade group like 2009 Saints or Freo with stars available (it’s why I personally think Lyon would’ve loved Carlton…they have more of it and ought to be challenging and he likes it)
But what Lyon clearly sees with us is numerous players (may not be Fyfe level) who haven’t reached potential
IF he drags that out of them AND we can add some additional A grade talent over time he’ll get his list
But I agree with your point - Lyon’s strong suit has always been delivering teams that when st their best show up consistently
For a Ross Fanboy you don't seem familiar with some of his core coaching beliefs, he stated he never studied our list when him and Basset were sharing a glass of red in the spa bath, he has also said he didn't study the lists when he took on the coaching role first time around and also when he took on Freo, although he did say he was aware of the talent on our list when he took the job first time around...he would have had to be living under a rock not to know how overflowing with raw talent that list possessed so not much study required in that instance.

He's also firm on his belief he doesn't coach skills, interesting considering he's taken on a list well short on talent and skill, my question to you is, do you know what his plan is to improve the talent and skill of the list? This area of his coaching will be fascinating to watch.

I share the sentiment of Spert's comment, maybe you are expecting more than many players will be able to deliver?
I do know Ross’s plans to improve the talent on the list - he rolled over this morning and whispered them in my ear…,oh Vort….you shoulda been there…
But alas.,.,you were too busy trolling on SS and still yet to realise most posters know you’re a troll with a dozen nicks whose comments can’t be taken seriously…
Dare I say you fall into irrelevance but it’s fun watching you attempt to go all insightful all of a sudden …
Just remember to have your wine glass ready when RTB starts turning that water in wine …or in your case…just whine..

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 3:56pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 2:54pm
I tend to agree

I do know Ross’s plans to improve the talent on the list - he rolled over this morning and whispered them in my ear…,oh Vort….you shoulda been there…
But alas.,.,you were too busy trolling on SS and still yet to realise most posters know you’re a troll with a dozen nicks whose comments can’t be taken seriously…
Dare I say you fall into irrelevance but it’s fun watching you attempt to go all insightful all of a sudden …
Just remember to have your wine glass ready when RTB starts turning that water in wine …or in your case…just whine..
don't go changing Teffers,

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s funny

The stats are quite similar - although Fritsch plays in front of the best midfield in the AFL

Except Contested Marks - Membrey doubles him

Membrey is a hit up forward, a work horse and a marking forward

Fritsch is a medium opportunist forward - relies less on marking the footy (especially contested) and more on general play goals

They are very different forwards

Membrey has been around since 2015
Fritsch since 2018

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 5:50pm It’s funny

The stats are quite similar - although Fritsch plays in front of the best midfield in the AFL

Fritsch is a medium opportunist forward - relies less on marking the footy (especially contested) and more on general play goals

Fritsch since 2018
And probably one of the best in the AFL at overhead marks at full tilt.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Teflon

I don’t even know who the mods are… and don’t care

You can be as nasty as you want… that’s your prerogative… doesn’t bother me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Tue 27 Dec 2022 8:14pm Butler and Snags- we've seen their best and their worst.
The challenge for them and the coaches will be to greatly reduce their 'worst' and get them to consistently play at or near their best.
Webster hasn't got long left.
If he isn't best 25, then our squad will be doing great.
It will be a sure sign that our defence is getting better.
We need others to overtake him and push him out.
Does having Butler and Higgins in the same team work, though? So far, it hasn’t worked, but with a bit of luck Ross knows why and is working on how to get the most of it.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Norm Smith, the Melbourne coach at the time, thought a certain guy wasn’t built to be a footballer. Too much of a runt on the wing. That guy went on to play 198 games and win a flag.

And coached us for five years.

Stan Alves

So if Hunter Clark is gonna be a less than macho looking footy player, so what? As long as he is fit. And that is where I think the question mark lies. Hope he does whatever it takes.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Fritsch since 2018
Except Fritz averages

More goals (they are forwards)
More marks Inside Fwd 50
More goal assists
More score involvements
More tackles inside Fwd 50
Less clangers

Oh did I mention he’s 3 years younger than Tim AND Dees got him for a second round draft pick???! You know …the ones you said were all duds and lists can’t be improved off???

Yep….you keep Tim (and overrating our players…it’s such a Saints thing to do!) ….I’ll take Fritz any-day to improve our list

Fingers crossed we may already have Bailey on the list…except his name is Cooper…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 8:39pm

Fritsch since 2018
Yes yes….except he marks less inside Fwd 50 than Fritz abd if after he takes a mark with play rapidly unfolding down field….Tim’s cogs go a bit slow and he invariably holds the ball up only to bomb forward….

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 9:18pm Teflon

I don’t even know who the mods are… and don’t care

You can be as nasty as you want… that’s your prerogative… doesn’t bother me.
I don’t think a little banter is nasty especially if people continue to post inane, silly things and irrelevant questions without EVER answering one..
Pop your big boy pants back on BM
BTW I’ve requested to be a mod - once in …I’ll look after you don’t stress…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 9:31pm
WellardSaint wrote: Tue 27 Dec 2022 8:14pm Butler and Snags- we've seen their best and their worst.
The challenge for them and the coaches will be to greatly reduce their 'worst' and get them to consistently play at or near their best.
Does having Butler and Higgins in the same team work, though? So far, it hasn’t worked, but with a bit of luck Ross knows why and is working on how to get the most of it.
That’s a very good question
I think the acid comes on Butler especially
1 good year Tigers - AWOL
1 good year Saints - AWOL
Tigers knew that and as a Richmond mate said to me…”soon as the heat came on and he was no longer 4th or 5th forward ….he went missing”
He can’t get by on so called “pressure acts” and leave King/Higgins etc to do all the scoring …
Higgins too - looked unfit a lot of the tine played half a season and went to ground when those soft, chheapy run forward goals dried up….
Ross will sort out wheat from the chaff

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:10am
Sainternist wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 9:31pm
That’s a very good question
I think the acid comes on Butler especially
1 good year Tigers - AWOL
1 good year Saints - AWOL
Tigers knew that and as a Richmond mate said to me…”soon as the heat came on and he was no longer 4th or 5th forward ….he went missing”
He can’t get by on so called “pressure acts” and leave King/Higgins etc to do all the scoring …
Higgins too - looked unfit a lot of the tine played half a season and went to ground when those soft, chheapy run forward goals dried up….
Ross will sort out wheat from the chaff
I wonder whether there are several players like Higgins+Butler at other clubs, who have succeeded and developed at those clubs due to a much better coaching setup.
Meaning, put Snags n Butler into those clubs (say, Cats or Swans) and they would become B+ or maybe even A-.

I'd like to believe that Butler/Snags are diamonds in the rough, and Ratts+other coaches just couldn't polish them.

The new regime should nurture+challenge them to be their best, to find another level.
We saw Butler being quite talented in 2020, then was found out.
Is he lazy? I'd like to think the coaches had no clue how to change his approach, effectiveness and output.
We've seen Ratts n co refuse to adapt and change- they kept repeating the same things, hoping they would work.
New regime, new broom should bring new fresh ideas and get Butler into best 22.

Snags biggest issue to me is inaccuracy. Far too many behinds kicked.
Fix that, and a game plan that can use him better, and Snags will be a mix of Milne and Schneider.
We're all excited about the new regime, because we trust they will get the best out of our squad.
Which Ratts couldn't do because he was only Richo 2.0 and lost the plot.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:02am

Fritsch since 2018
Yes yes….except he marks less inside Fwd 50 than Fritz abd if after he takes a mark with play rapidly unfolding down field….Tim’s cogs go a bit slow and he invariably holds the ball up only to bomb forward….
On the bomb it long frustration, I'll make this bet with you, I bet the bomb it long chaos theory is a key component of the Enright and Harvey game plan.

The bomb it long set play is part of almost all 18 clubs and if you feel you are the only person frustrated by the set play then head over to the other 17 footy forums on BF to find an avalanche of whinging about the topic.

And while King is out I'll bet it is almost the only set play we use to score, ie kick the ball to within 30m of goal and then swarm the ball to create chaos and lock it in to provide the potential to score.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Butler lazy?

He’s one of the best defensive forwards in the AFL

His pressure numbers are very high

His good seasons attest to the fact he can play, but his game has been worked out to a degree

Higgins
Good player - wasn’t fit last season - carried fat

Hunter Clarke
Doesn’t been to gain muscles
He needs to lose fat

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Teffers

I rate and support the good players on our list that have produced over a number of years

You seem to think it’s their fault for not producing more

I think average performance comes from those not performing or producing output

Good luck with being a moderator - not sure I’ll be needing you though?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

:shock: :oops: :oops:
Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:00am

Fritsch since 2018
Except Fritz averages

More marks Inside Fwd 50
More goal assists
More score involvements
Less clangers

Oh did I mention he’s 3 years younger than Tim AND Dees got him for a second round draft pick???! You know …the ones you said were all duds and lists can’t be improved off???

Yep….you keep Tim (and overrating our players…it’s such a Saints thing to do!) ….I’ll take Fritz any-day to improve our list

Fingers crossed we may already have Bailey on the list…except his name is Cooper…
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You’ve mixed up Tim’s stats with those of Fritz and your bragging about how good Membrey’s numbers are!!

You’ve lost the plot. The teenagers call it ‘self owned’

https://www.dictionary.com/e/what-is-a-self-own/

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, just checked too

Those numbers are clearly wrong

Coming on here sprouting and making s*** up to prove a point…

I rate Tim Membrey over Fritsch but they are very different players. Reason being - contested marking.

Contested marks i50 are like gold

Membrey, if he was a third forward - would be elite at that position

Unfortunately we traded Bruce and got Zak Jones.

Bruce would have also benefited Max King massively- he was also underrated- I don’t think he was well liked though?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 9:37am
Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:02am

Fritsch since 2018
On the bomb it long frustration, I'll make this bet with you, I bet the bomb it long chaos theory is a key component of the Enright and Harvey game plan.

The bomb it long set play is part of almost all 18 clubs and if you feel you are the only person frustrated by the set play then head over to the other 17 footy forums on BF to find an avalanche of whinging about the topic.

And while King is out I'll bet it is almost the only set play we use to score, ie kick the ball to within 30m of goal and then swarm the ball to create chaos and lock it in to provide the potential to score.
I’ll bet you sides who bomb it to both Melb and Cats defenders lose games
What a stupid reply…
Is Steven May a friend of yours ??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 4:33pm :shock: :oops: :oops:
Teflon wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:00am

Fritsch since 2018
Except Fritz averages

More marks Inside Fwd 50
More goal assists
More score involvements
Less clangers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You’ve mixed up Tim’s stats with those of Fritz and your bragging about how good Membrey’s numbers are!!

You’ve lost the plot. The teenagers call it ‘self owned’

https://www.dictionary.com/e/what-is-a-self-own/
I think you’re officially brain dead
Go back and check their avgs for those items above on 2022 output…
Then come back with your tail between your legs and grovel …
I may accept it if you’re really nice to me as there is no point picking on those less fortunate..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 6:12pm Yeah, just checked too

Those numbers are clearly wrong

Coming on here sprouting and making s*** up to prove a point…

I rate Tim Membrey over Fritsch but they are very different players. Reason being - contested marking.

Contested marks i50 are like gold

Membrey, if he was a third forward - would be elite at that position

Unfortunately we traded Bruce and got Zak Jones.

Bruce would have also benefited Max King massively- he was also underrated- I don’t think he was well liked though?
Stop relying on your girlfriend to do your homework…as a teacher I expect more…
Go check your facts again on 22 avgs fir categories above
God help our kids …this is why we must raise the ATAR for teachers ….any brain dead gimp gets a run… no wonder our education standards are sliding ….

“Yeah….nah””