Gags going at end of 2022

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gags going at end of 2022

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 22 Dec 2022 3:24am

"The Saints are known to have a tighter-than-expected cap after the moves to add some mid-tier players on decent wages."

That sounds like us, mismanage our cap by overpaying mid-tier players, and we've put in place an even better St Kilda style solution, promote the guy who was in charge to CEO, and install a retired 67 year old who stuffed the salary cap at Collingwood. And it looks like another captains pick with rumours SOS is jumping on the gravy train.

Gotta love how executive management works, you can't teach this stuff at university, well not at our good ole Oz universities, you have to fly to a far away place called Harvard Business School to learn how to be proper sycophant.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You would have to think that there was a reason why Stocker has been given a lifeline.

Someone has been in RTB's ear.

I expect SOS to be appointed as St Kilda's list manager.

Hopefully he has learnt from his failures over the last ten years.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

External "reports" to be treated with sensible scepticism, yes?

Also, possibly analogous to the governments should always be in surplus simplistic furphy, why take it as an act of faith that salary cap space is always a mark of good list management. It's a bit more complicated than that eh?

The recent posts about how Collingwood stuffed up its list management/salary cap allocation seem to conveniently overlook it's performance in 22. Could have played in the GF if a bounce or two had gone the right way. So not so bad afterall ? Walsh might have made tough controversial calls that history shows were quite clever.

But that's not the line footy media want flogged. Poor Adam, poor Jayden: how could Bucks not have appreciated them. Turns out his judgement wasn't too bad.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

SOS at GWS.

I wonder how much input SOS had to drafting whilst at GWS.
Surely there has never been or will be a worse drafting record of first round (let alone top 5) picks than recruited during SOS's tenure at GWS.

I'll have a crack at rating the, from 1-10, with 10 being maximum value points based on their draft position.
I understand injuries and dick flashing have impacted players like Patton, injury curtailed the promising junior Ahern, however rating is on pure value with extra rating of they have played some decent footy after leaving the Giants.

For those who question the output of Jack Billings as a #3 pick, get a gander at the below.

#1 - Jon Patton - rating 2
#2 - Stephen Coniglio - rating 7
#3 - Dom Tyson - rating 3
#4 - Wil Hoskin- Elliott - rating 1
#5 - Matt Buntine - rating 2.5
#7 - Nick Haynes - rating 7.5
#9 - Adam Tomlinson - rating 5
#10 - Liam Sumner - rating 1
#11 - Toby Greene - rating 10
#13 - Taylor Adams - rating 8
# 14 - Devon Smith - rating 5

#1 - Lachie Whitfield - rating 8
#2 - Jono O'Rourke - rating 0
#3 - Lachie Plowman - rating 3
#12 - Kristian Jaksch- rating 2

#1 - Tom Boyd - rating 3
#2 - Josh Kelly - rating 9
#14 - Cam McCarthy - rating 3

#4 - Jarrod Pickett - rating 0
#6 - Caleb Marchbank - rating 2
#7 - Paul Ahern- rating 0

Oh, and unrelated to SOS, Princess Beatrice is a bit of an odd looking cat, all fangs and eyeballs that one.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Good post D.B.. SOS made the league's Team of the Century because of his football, not his talent identification. At GWS he was given a handful of darts (which he threw all at once) and celebrated by simply hitting the board.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I must say I was surprised to hear Lyon had contacted SOS about the role, surely that is over stepping his role as a coach. I hope Walsh can find and attract a better canditate than SOS, his track record in list management is very ordinary. He may have been a good player, but he is simply 'not the sharpest tack in the box'.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 8:55am Good post D.B.. SOS made the league's Team of the Century because of his football, not his talent identification. At GWS he was given a handful of darts (which he threw all at once) and celebrated by simply hitting the board.
What do you think his role was at GWS ghost?
I looked on line and there were varying descriptions from recruiting manager to list manager.

Whether it was developmental, a new club without structure, other I have no idea, but there is little doubt the recruiting at GWS was beyond terrible.

Some of those top 5 picks including Pickett, O’Rourke, Hoskin-Elliott etc. Imagine the Saintsational meltdown if they were our picks? 😂

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 9:35am
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022 8:55am Good post D.B.. SOS made the league's Team of the Century because of his football, not his talent identification. At GWS he was given a handful of darts (which he threw all at once) and celebrated by simply hitting the board.
What do you think his role was at GWS ghost?
I looked on line and there were varying descriptions from recruiting manager to list manager.

Whether it was developmental, a new club without structure, other I have no idea, but there is little doubt the recruiting at GWS was beyond terrible.

Some of those top 5 picks including Pickett, O’Rourke, Hoskin-Elliott etc. Imagine the Saintsational meltdown if they were our picks? 😂
I don't know D.B.. I do think that once people accept accolades for a given role they should also accept the criticism once it's been analysed.

SOS is an alleged List Manager which is the pointy end of recruiting, managing the talent, the salary cap and moving the chess pieces for that list to improve. When these people sit there on draft night they are very much involved. When players from other clubs are courted, they are involved as they must give ultimate sign off when fitting them inside the Cap.

His time at GWS, he had the world at his feet (especially after watching the Suns' errors) and seemingly tripped over it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 22 Dec 2022 12:24pm External "reports" to be treated with sensible scepticism, yes?

Also, possibly analogous to the governments should always be in surplus simplistic furphy, why take it as an act of faith that salary cap space is always a mark of good list management. It's a bit more complicated than that eh?

The recent posts about how Collingwood stuffed up its list management/salary cap allocation seem to conveniently overlook it's performance in 22. Could have played in the GF if a bounce or two had gone the right way. So not so bad afterall ? Walsh might have made tough controversial calls that history shows were quite clever.

But that's not the line footy media want flogged. Poor Adam, poor Jayden: how could Bucks not have appreciated them. Turns out his judgement wasn't too bad.
Will that mean if we bounce up the ladder quickly in 2023 - 24 that credit will go to Ratten?