Saints to change its approach to Hannebery's persistant injuries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to change its approach to Hannebery's persistant injuries

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:53am
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:08am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:04am
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 10:37am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 10:22am
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:17pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:05pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 7:28pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:08pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 3:42pm Can't wait for him to get back we are a far better side when he plays.
Interesting comment, what do you base this on?
Is it his contribution, leadership, training standards, on-field coaching or something else to which you refer?

The reason I ask is statistically he appears to have little positive impact when playing.

In 2019 we won only one of the five games he played (win ratio 20%) against a win/loss season of 40% with Hannebery hardly setting the game alight with an average 25 possessions and not registering elite in any category.

In 2020 we averaged a win/loss ratio of 58% and 62% with Dan in the team across his 8 games where he averaged 17 possessions and again failed to register as elite in any category.

Lastly, I was at the Bulldogs final and his game was way overrated by TV viewers in my opinion as Hannebery was by himself for large parts of the game on the wing and was not pushing back deep into defence like the half forwards and other wingers were doing.

Dan was an elite player, absolute gut running gun midfielder in his prime, but since 2018 has been a butt average AFL player who can barely get on the park.

It is sad to watch the decline of someone who was an AFL champion to become what Dan now is, a broken down player desperately clinging to the past and trying to get back.

I wish he could get back, but it is getting highly more unlikely by the week as the game gets quicker and he is slowing and struggling with injury, now that is fact.

I think we structure up better when he’s around the clearances. He also sets us up with basically every disposal always takes the best option. Rarely let’s the ball gets past he either kills the loose ball so we get another contest rather than letting the opposition walk it out.
Perhaps you are watching replays of Swans matches between 2012 - 2017 when all of that and more was true of Dan the elite mid.

It is not true at St Kilda.

Firstly continuity of performance of teams in any elite sport is essential, basketball, rowing, League, AFL ask any high performance coach in all team sports. You structure up better when you play games together and learn how each other play and read each others game. How can any saints player have a f@rking clue about 13 game Dan?

Uses basically every disposal & always takes the best option? Those are elite player statements.
14% of his kicks in 2020 were clangers and he didn't register elite in any category.

He didn't even get much of it and when he did his disposal was average.

Hannebery is shot and needs to retire, he has little to SWA to offer.
He was recruited as a broken down has-been and has done nothing to suggest to anyone other than a cool-aide sipper that he has any chance of turning this around.

I believe in patterns, below is undeniable.
I guess the desperate could argue he played more games in 2020 than 2019 so he's on the way back :lol:

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

14% he misses so 86% he’s using it well sounds very good to me. As I said when he plays we look better as a group especially around clearances.
Lol, wrong again Curly.
I’m a footy layman but you have no idea at all about the modern game.

Clangers are unopposed errors under no pressure, 14% changers doesn’t mean 86% efficiency 😂 You crack me up Curly.

If I look up his efficiency it would be lucky to be above 50%.

Don’t let the facts or stats get in the way of your reality Curly.

Our win % ratio is down when Hannebery plays over the past two seasons combined. He has low possessions and doesn’t rate elite in any category, furthermore he is largely unavailable and does not provide continuity of a group midfield.

But go on thinking he’s a gun and adding value to the club Curly👍

As I said Oracle we set up better we look better organised. You just keep using SuperCoach points as a gauge of a footballers worth.
Where have I referred to SC points Curly?
Stop making up bulls***.

You again prove your knowledge on the game is as extensive as your umpiring expertise.

Look better? That means a lot as we actually lose more when he plays. But Curly knows football 😂

I don’t need stats to see the impact a player has. Similar situation to Paton or Geary in our back half we look better set up when they play. Ryder makes us look better. I don’t need to look at numbers to determine that.
The club and coach use strategists, analysts and compile and review data and statistics.

But Curly knows football 😂😂😂

Of course they do but I guarantee they watch the game first then go to the stats. I guarantee Ratten asks his defence coach what the hell is going on with our structure before he grabs a stat sheet or our midfield coach why are they walking the ball out of stoppages.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

This thread is the reason I hate quoting

It is horrendous to read, scrolling through endless repeated comments.

Imagine if in a conversation you had to repeat everything being said prior to making your comment before adding comment?!

It’d be ridiculous!!

Surely people can understand who or what we are replying to, we are not stupid.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:57am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:53am
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:08am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:04am
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 10:37am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 10:22am
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:17pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:05pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 7:28pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:08pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 3:42pm Can't wait for him to get back we are a far better side when he plays.
Interesting comment, what do you base this on?
Is it his contribution, leadership, training standards, on-field coaching or something else to which you refer?

The reason I ask is statistically he appears to have little positive impact when playing.

In 2019 we won only one of the five games he played (win ratio 20%) against a win/loss season of 40% with Hannebery hardly setting the game alight with an average 25 possessions and not registering elite in any category.

In 2020 we averaged a win/loss ratio of 58% and 62% with Dan in the team across his 8 games where he averaged 17 possessions and again failed to register as elite in any category.

Lastly, I was at the Bulldogs final and his game was way overrated by TV viewers in my opinion as Hannebery was by himself for large parts of the game on the wing and was not pushing back deep into defence like the half forwards and other wingers were doing.

Dan was an elite player, absolute gut running gun midfielder in his prime, but since 2018 has been a butt average AFL player who can barely get on the park.

It is sad to watch the decline of someone who was an AFL champion to become what Dan now is, a broken down player desperately clinging to the past and trying to get back.

I wish he could get back, but it is getting highly more unlikely by the week as the game gets quicker and he is slowing and struggling with injury, now that is fact.

I think we structure up better when he’s around the clearances. He also sets us up with basically every disposal always takes the best option. Rarely let’s the ball gets past he either kills the loose ball so we get another contest rather than letting the opposition walk it out.
Perhaps you are watching replays of Swans matches between 2012 - 2017 when all of that and more was true of Dan the elite mid.

It is not true at St Kilda.

Firstly continuity of performance of teams in any elite sport is essential, basketball, rowing, League, AFL ask any high performance coach in all team sports. You structure up better when you play games together and learn how each other play and read each others game. How can any saints player have a f@rking clue about 13 game Dan?

Uses basically every disposal & always takes the best option? Those are elite player statements.
14% of his kicks in 2020 were clangers and he didn't register elite in any category.

He didn't even get much of it and when he did his disposal was average.

Hannebery is shot and needs to retire, he has little to SWA to offer.
He was recruited as a broken down has-been and has done nothing to suggest to anyone other than a cool-aide sipper that he has any chance of turning this around.

I believe in patterns, below is undeniable.
I guess the desperate could argue he played more games in 2020 than 2019 so he's on the way back :lol:

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

14% he misses so 86% he’s using it well sounds very good to me. As I said when he plays we look better as a group especially around clearances.
Lol, wrong again Curly.
I’m a footy layman but you have no idea at all about the modern game.

Clangers are unopposed errors under no pressure, 14% changers doesn’t mean 86% efficiency 😂 You crack me up Curly.

If I look up his efficiency it would be lucky to be above 50%.

Don’t let the facts or stats get in the way of your reality Curly.

Our win % ratio is down when Hannebery plays over the past two seasons combined. He has low possessions and doesn’t rate elite in any category, furthermore he is largely unavailable and does not provide continuity of a group midfield.

But go on thinking he’s a gun and adding value to the club Curly👍

As I said Oracle we set up better we look better organised. You just keep using SuperCoach points as a gauge of a footballers worth.
Where have I referred to SC points Curly?
Stop making up bulls***.

You again prove your knowledge on the game is as extensive as your umpiring expertise.

Look better? That means a lot as we actually lose more when he plays. But Curly knows football 😂

I don’t need stats to see the impact a player has. Similar situation to Paton or Geary in our back half we look better set up when they play. Ryder makes us look better. I don’t need to look at numbers to determine that.
The club and coach use strategists, analysts and compile and review data and statistics.

But Curly knows football 😂😂😂

Of course they do but I guarantee they watch the game first then go to the stats. I guarantee Ratten asks his defence coach what the hell is going on with our structure before he grabs a stat sheet or our midfield coach why are they walking the ball out of stoppages.
Lol, Curly knows football 😂😂😂

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Get rid of all coaches according to the Oracle a look at the stats post game you’ll know everything. Keep it up Oracle😂😂

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 12:34pm Get rid of all coaches according to the Oracle a look at the stats post game you’ll know everything. Keep it up Oracle😂😂
Curly makes up even more bulls***.
Curly knows football 😂😂😂

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 12:42pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 12:34pm Get rid of all coaches according to the Oracle a look at the stats post game you’ll know everything. Keep it up Oracle😂😂

Curly knows football

Well said Oracle👍

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 1:23pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 12:42pm

Curly knows f@ckall

Well said Oracle👍
Finally we are in agreement 8-)

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Thank fu-- for that

ace
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 1:57pm
saynta wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 1:05pm From heraldsun.com.au

St Kilda is set to change its approach to Daniel Hannebery’s persistent run of soft tissue injuries in a bid to return the midfielder to the game and extend his career.

The Saints on Friday admitted the former Swan was frustrated and hurt by his nightmare calf and hamstring problems which have dogged Hannebery again this season.

The premiership midfielder was brought to the club on a big money deal but the injury issues have limited Hannebery to only 13 games in three seasons.

While time is running out for Hannebery, St Kilda chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said the Saints have not given up faith of the 30-year-old having an impact in 2021.

The Saints are under pressure to lift against Port Adelaide on Sunday to avoid falling to 2-4 in a blow to their hopes of playing finals again this season.

Lethlean admitted the persistent injuries had taken a toll on Hannebery but the club was set to tweak its approach to his program to help get a better result.

“He is certainly very important when we get him out there, but that hasn’t been happening,” Lethlean said on SEN.

“That is a frustration for the club and it is a frustration for him and our fans.

“He is working his butt off and nothing is working for him right now, so it is disappointing for him and it hurts. It hurts him and we want him out there.

“But rest assured he is working harder than anyone and he is still a few weeks away.

“We are looking at how we can restructure his program.

“He has been having calf complaints on the back of not particularly intense work, so there is something else going on as compared to ripping soft tissue.

“So that’s a work in progress, it is very frustrating.”

Lethlean said Hannebery hasn’t been able to make the contribution he would have liked since departing the Swans.

“He hasn’t had the career he wanted at the Saints but I’m convinced if he can get himself back on track he can have a big impact,” he said.

“If it keeps being that he can’t play, time will start to burn out, but we are not looking at it that way.

“We expect him to get back in a few weeks’ time. It is not working at the moment, so it’s not ideal.”
Dan Hannebery has played just 13 games for the Saints."
St Kilda is set to change its approach to Daniel Hannebery’s persistent run of soft tissue injuries in a bid to return the midfielder to the game and extend his career.

Let's hope that doesn't mean his 5th year is still on the table.

“He is working his butt off and nothing is working for him right now, so it is disappointing for him and it hurts. It hurts him and we want him out there.

“But rest assured he is working harder than anyone and he is still a few weeks away.

Not sure all these statements line up with below Simon.

“He has been having calf complaints on the back of not particularly intense work, so there is something else going on as compared to ripping soft tissue.

We are like a pathetic gambling addict still thinking we can win our money back.
Face facts, the recruitment is another bust that everyone in the AFL and most on this site saw coming.

Take a leaf out of Dylan Roberton's book and do the right thing and retire Hannebery.
You have got to admit the club is getting better.
They finally got rid of Paddy McCartin but it took years.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

ITK!!! Breaking News!!
Hannebery will cut his legs off and play from a wheel chair as St Kilda confirm 15 yr $10 million contract extension.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:01pm ITK!!! Breaking News!!
Hannebery will cut his legs off and play from a wheel chair as St Kilda confirm 15 yr $10 million contract extension.
Not in the least f****** funny. :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 8:51pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 1:57pm
saynta wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 1:05pm From heraldsun.com.au

The Saints on Friday admitted the former Swan was frustrated and hurt by his nightmare calf and hamstring problems which have dogged Hannebery again this season.

The premiership midfielder was brought to the club on a big money deal but the injury issues have limited Hannebery to only 13 games in three seasons.

While time is running out for Hannebery, St Kilda chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said the Saints have not given up faith of the 30-year-old having an impact in 2021.

The Saints are under pressure to lift against Port Adelaide on Sunday to avoid falling to 2-4 in a blow to their hopes of playing finals again this season.

Lethlean admitted the persistent injuries had taken a toll on Hannebery but the club was set to tweak its approach to his program to help get a better result.

“He is certainly very important when we get him out there, but that hasn’t been happening,” Lethlean said on SEN.

“That is a frustration for the club and it is a frustration for him and our fans.

“We are looking at how we can restructure his program.

“So that’s a work in progress, it is very frustrating.”

Lethlean said Hannebery hasn’t been able to make the contribution he would have liked since departing the Swans.

“He hasn’t had the career he wanted at the Saints but I’m convinced if he can get himself back on track he can have a big impact,” he said.

“If it keeps being that he can’t play, time will start to burn out, but we are not looking at it that way.

“We expect him to get back in a few weeks’ time. It is not working at the moment, so it’s not ideal.”
Dan Hannebery has played just 13 games for the Saints."

Let's hope that doesn't mean his 5th year is still on the table.

Not sure all these statements line up with below Simon.

We are like a pathetic gambling addict still thinking we can win our money back.
Face facts, the recruitment is another bust that everyone in the AFL and most on this site saw coming.

Take a leaf out of Dylan Roberton's book and do the right thing and retire Hannebery.
You have got to admit the club is getting better.
They finally got rid of Paddy McCartin but it took years.
I know what you're saying but I'm unsure that the definition of "getting better" includes having a problem, of your own making, being resolved from a medical issue. They did not get rid of Paddy, circumstance did.

I write this as I upchuck reading about Flatracca's blossoming.