Goodes riddance, Eddie gone!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goodes riddance, Eddie gone!

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:40am
saynta wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:30am
Scollop wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 10:54am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 9:07am I love how some consider 'not being racist' as having to 'walk on eggshells'.

Boomers gunna boom i suppose!
Some of them just can’t accept that society standards have changed. Whether it’s racism, sexism, or intolerance of people that are different to you, we have laws in Australia and most countries to force the dinosaurs to change their thinking.

I was watching movies from the 60’s on youtube and it’s amazing how often you’d see a bloke slap his Mrs or even slap a woman that he wasn’t related to. I guess it was seen as something ‘normal’ and accepted back then. You’d often see rape scenes in these films and the ladies or young girls would just go about their business half an hour later and there was no suggestion of reporting it to police or any thoughts of trauma counselling for the victims. The perpetrators were not thought of as criminals. They were seen as real men who could take what they wanted and after all; it was normal and healthy behaviour back then for a virulent male wasn’t

Herestheir thinking: “Who cares if a bloke get’s offended by a little joke about about his skin colour. It was normal and accepted behaviour to make racist jokes in the 60’s and 70’s.”

The first time that a law was passed in the Federal parliament to make it a crime to discriminate against people for the colour of their skin was in 1975. Australia practiced apartheid. We segregated the indigenous folk and banned them from being in the company of white folk.Racism exists because you were told it’s normal. It was institutionalised and it was seen as God’s way
What utter f****** rubbish.Rape is rape. Was in 1966 when I was working in the Supreme Court in Canberra and still is. Main difference was that in 1966 if you were convicted of rape, The judge put a black hat on and sentenced you to death. Now the courts are f****** week and soft on such crime.

Earlier on the sixties I worked for a transport/trucking company in Launceston called F H Stevenson. I worked with people whose surnames were Mansell, Maynard, Brown and Atkinson. Mutton birders in the mutton bird season on Cape Barren Island and all aboriginals. I can't speak for the rest of Australia but there was no segregation there in Tasmania in the sixties and I regarded these people as my friends and colleagues.
So stop trying to rewrite f****** history from your memories of films you remember seeing FFS. :roll: :roll:
In 1960 aboriginal people didn't have the rights to vote in Federal elections and men were allowed to rape their wives.

Are these the 'good old days' that I keep getting told are being ruined by 'PC culture'?
More bulls***.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:33am
CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 10:43am
saynta wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 10:36am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 9:07am I love how some consider 'not being racist' as having to 'walk on eggshells'.

:roll: :roll:
What we have here is the moral guardian for us all. His and only his thoughts or beliefs are correct anything that goes against that makes you a boomer apparently. :shock:
Let's have a quick look at things Curly DOESN'T see a problem with...
Systemic racism
Discriminating against the LGBT community
Gay conversion therapy
Men barraging women with unsolicited dick-pics

A list of the things Curly DOES see a problem with...
White men being held accountable for their actions
Umpires

And all that's just the last few weeks! :shock:

I think a moral guardian is exactly what you need at this point!

Gee your muck throwing knows no limits. Why do you lie? Are you Susie Obrien? Basically you just post lie after lie. In fact if I worried what grubs like you thought I may be offended by the lies you posted. In the end your just a bitter shallow little man.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:42am

Some of them just can’t accept that society standards have changed. Whether it’s racism, sexism, or intolerance of people that are different to you, we have laws in Australia and most countries to force the dinosaurs to change their thinking.

I was watching movies from the 60’s on youtube and it’s amazing how often you’d see a bloke slap his Mrs or even slap a woman that he wasn’t related to. I guess it was seen as something ‘normal’ and accepted back then. You’d often see rape scenes in these films and the ladies or young girls would just go about their business half an hour later and there was no suggestion of reporting it to police or any thoughts of trauma counselling for the victims. The perpetrators were not thought of as criminals. They were seen as real men who could take what they wanted and after all; it was normal and healthy behaviour back then for a virulent male wasn’t

Herestheir thinking: “Who cares if a bloke get’s offended by a little joke about about his skin colour. It was normal and accepted behaviour to make racist jokes in the 60’s and 70’s.”

The first time that a law was passed in the Federal parliament to make it a crime to discriminate against people for the colour of their skin was in 1975. Australia practiced apartheid. We segregated the indigenous folk and banned them from being in the company of white folk.Racism exists because you were told it’s normal. It was institutionalised and it was seen as God’s way
What utter f****** rubbish.Rape is rape. Was in 1966 when I was working in the Supreme Court in Canberra and still is. Main difference was that in 1966 if you were convicted of rape, The judge put a black hat on and sentenced you to death. Now the courts are f****** week and soft on such crime.

Earlier on the sixties I worked for a transport/trucking company in Launceston called F H Stevenson. I worked with people whose surnames were Mansell, Maynard, Brown and Atkinson. Mutton birders in the mutton bird season on Cape Barren Island and all aboriginals. I can't speak for the rest of Australia but there was no segregation there in Tasmania in the sixties and I regarded these people as my friends and colleagues.
So stop trying to rewrite f****** history from your memories of films you remember seeing FFS. :roll: :roll:
In 1960 aboriginal people didn't have the rights to vote in Federal elections and men were allowed to rape their wives.

Are these the 'good old days' that I keep getting told are being ruined by 'PC culture'?
More bulls***.
Which part exactly, be specific?

Do you need some history lessons?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:42am

What we have here is the moral guardian for us all. His and only his thoughts or beliefs are correct anything that goes against that makes you a boomer apparently. :shock:
Systemic racism
Gay conversion therapy

Umpires

Gee your muck throwing knows no limits. Why do you lie? Are you Susie Obrien? Basically you just post lie after lie. In fact if I worried what grubs like you thought I may be offended by the lies you posted. In the end your just a bitter shallow little man.
Too true mate, too true. They say the truth hurts but not to our dudley as his hide is too thick. :wink: :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:45am
saynta wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:42am

More bulls***.
Which part exactly, be specific?

Do you need some history lessons?
No I have just given you one from my person experiences. Something you appear to lack.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Systemic racism
Gay conversion therapy

Umpires

You're upset Eddie was fired for being president (for 20+ years) of a club with systemic racism problems, which he multiple times tried to cover up or 'spin'. True or false?

You supported Margaret Court receiving Australia Day honours in spite of her multiple public attacks on the LGBT community (wants them treated as sub-humans) and support of gay conversion therapy. True or false?

You defended Patton's actions of sending unsolicited dick-pics and masturbating in front of multiple unsuspecting women. True or false?

Enlighten us Curly!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 11:52am

Systemic racism
Gay conversion therapy

Umpires

You're upset Eddie was fired for being president (for 20+ years) of a club with systemic racism problems, which he multiple times tried to cover up or 'spin'. True or false?

You supported Margaret Court receiving Australia Day honours in spite of her multiple public attacks on the LGBT community (wants them treated as sub-humans) and support of gay conversion therapy. True or false?

You defended Patton's actions of sending unsolicited dick-pics and masturbating in front of multiple unsuspecting women. True or false?

Enlighten us Curly!
No Clown incorrect on all counts.

Patton I said lets wait and see before we just throw him under the bus as there is often two sides.

Margaret Court who you called a piece of s*** is a practising Christian and leader of her church was expressing her understanding of her belief of the LGBT community. According to you that makes her a piece of s***. I don't agree with her but if that is her belief I'm not going to label her anything.

As for Eddie the unbelievable work he has done for the community has now been tarnished due to something I'm sure 955 of work place sports groups and others organisations have been guilty of in the past. But hey lets attack someone that often we don't agree with or has more power than us and make him the scape goat.

Your pathetic attempt to label others due to your narrow mindeness is emabarrisng.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts..but I’ll move on..
Coaches tell youth to squeeze out the older players, to put pressure on them...

Footy is an old culture within an old culture. Society is changing much faster. It’s being squeezed. Inclusion...haha...as if we all deserve a fair go, mate. Wait, wasn’t that what the boomers used to say?

I wouldn’t last five minutes in a footy club...be torn to shreds. I would last 2 seconds at a bar with Kerry Packer, Shane Ware and Eddie McGuire.. School yard in the 1970s?...I could make it a month without incident. Here and there.
I’m as white Protestant as it gets ...if you wanna stamp me with the ‘heritage’ thing - and the only reason you might not is because I am in a ‘safe’ majority’. or I was....and ignore all the rest...whatever that is.

It is nonsense , fundamentalism ...the inclusion mantra...but necessary. Nobody believes for a second that people won’t and don’t have to discriminate...or that values are much more than a reflection of your culture..

I have a traffic accident over here, I am dead. It’s my fault...I will pay. The foreigner is at fault..and will get screwed. But not nearly as much as in other countries, so I’m told.

“Wait,, that must be my 57 yer old brain...my boomer brain.., and it’s “limitations” ...what is the ‘real’ me...or is that it? Guess so...oh well..duh ..”

For those who grew up on Facebook. Instagram, getting disliked, liked, publicly by their school ‘mates’, I guess they have an advantage...they can’t stew and wonder if so and so know...they know that they know...everyone knows....

My impression is that each generation has more tact than the previous one...but them the age arc also has its part, cause 40 yer olds are loud mouths..!

Inclusion...as if looks don’t matter?

As if you have a ‘currency’ , a ‘value’ that is untenable and universal. As if everyone doesn’t know the dynamic will change when an attractive person walks in the room?
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Wed 10 Feb 2021 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Saynta had no idea of any of that discrimination or apartheid you speak of.

Saynta is one of the good boomers.

He treated ‘these people’ as his friends and colleagues and they all trotted off to the pub together or back to his place for a beer.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Talk about rewriting history and jaded memories. How many people were executed in Canberra for rape Saynta. How many times was the black hat worn. Hows your memory?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

shane

this is a good listen ... re the social media virus / matrix
part of your ... wonderment process

us boomers will miss
(have experienced ... extended family)

our kids will miss
(have experienced ... nuclear family)

our grandkids are ... sitting ducks

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Eddie's major flaw, through my eyes, is that he grew up and remains a one-eyed, super passionate Collingwood man.

How I wish he were a Saints man. Much of the crap that spews forth about our Club on this and other forums would have been laid to rest a couple of decades ago had Eddie been calling. The shots at the Saints instead of the Pies.

Saint supporter since '62
asiu
Saintsational Legend

its a black hanky worn on top of the judicial wig
with one of the corners facing forward

ned must of known what was coming then !!

like those nuenonne boys before him

see ya on the other side grub

fair faux dinkum

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Eddie's systemic tokenism, when it comes to uniting the opposing social factions under the CFC banner have been brilliant. Combined with his influence in the media it has given him status as a power player within the AFL.
I believe he appeals to not only the 'larrikins' within society, but as he reminded us on his departure, he has also steered the CFC through a myriad of social reform issues and philanthropic initiatives derived from their success as an organisation. He has been hugely successful. No question.
Neverless, his latest gaff was step too far.
He had one job in response to the investigation. Do not apologise, set an agenda for more social reform and philanthropy and move forward relentlessly. He did his job and fell on his sword. It is what it is.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 12:08pm

Patton I said lets wait and see before we just throw him under the bus as there is often two sides.

Margaret Court who you called a piece of s*** is a practising Christian and leader of her church was expressing her understanding of her belief of the LGBT community. According to you that makes her a piece of s***. I don't agree with her but if that is her belief I'm not going to label her anything.

As for Eddie the unbelievable work he has done for the community has now been tarnished due to something I'm sure 955 of work place sports groups and others organisations have been guilty of in the past. But hey lets attack someone that often we don't agree with or has more power than us and make him the scape goat.

Your pathetic attempt to label others due to your narrow mindeness is emabarrisng.
Two sides to the story of a bloke sending unsolicited dick-pics to multiple women? Yeah I suppose they were asking for it by acknowledging him in the first place, eh Curly!?

Sorry, but hiding behind a bible as an excuse to treat others as sub-humans indeed makes you a POS. Plenty of christians have changed with the times, and she's had all the opportunities to as well but chooses not to, her imaginary 'beliefs' are irrelevant.

Eddie's final straw was the press conference. All he had to do was say 'Sorry, we stuffed up, we'll do better'. Easy. But instead Eddie's (the 'media' guy) number one priority was protecting the CFC brand, not the people that make it up, or the people that were wronged. As said early, he tries to use tokenism to paper over the cracks, it fools some clearly, but not us all.

But keep protecting the 'big guy' Curly, and keep telling all those minorities to harden up, eh?!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 1:45pm

Two sides to the story of a bloke sending unsolicited dick-pics to multiple women? Yeah I suppose they were asking for it by acknowledging him in the first place, eh Curly!?

Sorry, but hiding behind a bible as an excuse to treat others as sub-humans indeed makes you a POS. Plenty of christians have changed with the times, and she's had all the opportunities to as well but chooses not to, her imaginary 'beliefs' are irrelevant.

Eddie's final straw was the press conference. All he had to do was say 'Sorry, we stuffed up, we'll do better'. Easy. But instead Eddie's (the 'media' guy) number one priority was protecting the CFC brand, not the people that make it up, or the people that were wronged. As said early, he tries to use tokenism to paper over the cracks, it fools some clearly, but not us all.

But keep protecting the 'big guy' Curly, and keep telling all those minorities to harden up, eh?!

You must live under your bed. Did you know the full story about Patton at the time? I guess you threw Kosi and Joey out the door when they were named? What about Sam Gilbert when Kim Duthie came out with her lies? Sorry bed wetter I like to hear the full story before I take aim at people I don't know.

As for Margerat Court she can share her belief if she feels like it and you don't have to agree but calling a respected person of the community a piece of s*** well that sums you up.

As for Eddie. I will ask you again to show an example of where I supported what went on or how he handled it. The point is he was bullied and hunted with no tolerence to all his community work and his work with all social demographics.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 1:59pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 1:45pm

You must live under your bed. Did you know the full story about Patton at the time? I guess you threw Kosi and Joey out the door when they were named? What about Sam Gilbert when Kim Duthie came out with her lies? Sorry bed wetter I like to hear the full story before I take aim at people I don't know.

As for Margerat Court she can share her belief if she feels like it and you don't have to agree but calling a respected person of the community a piece of s*** well that sums you up.

As for Eddie. I will ask you again to show an example of where I supported what went on or how he handled it. The point is he was bullied and hunted with no tolerence to all his community work and his work with all social demographics.
Now Eddie has gone, does the community work stop? Will the systemic cover ups of protecting individuals/factions over due process stop?
We cannot tell.
This is not about Eddie or any of the good he was a part of as the President of the CFC.
It is about transparency in the way the CFC deals with complaints and how its political processes handle its internal investigation of unfair treatment of individuals within the organisation and how they report those investigations to authorities that govern the way organisations conduct their business.
Eddie was the President. Now he is not. Thats the end of Eddies history in that role.
The good does not outweigh the bad. They are separate issues, not to be confused.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Can today’s people be held accountable for atrocities committed by yesterday’s people?

In my main sport cricket, where I played with many Sri Lankan/Indian players
Racism was rife right up until the late 90s and for a few clubs they were still ordinary 10 years later
It was absolutely horrendous!
I led a walk off one day after a player was repeatedly called a monkey. And that was 05/06.

The culture had definitely improved, but you still have the odd big bogan Aussie who thinks he can denigrate because he’s better than them, pretty sad really.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Systemic is a very nice word.

Symmetry.

Solid.

The ss sound sounds like SS, ala Himmler..or teeth joining to affect the hiss...like an animal about to go 'animal'. (Sorry animals)

the 'meh'..sounds like 'metric' ...metric system..European precision..sorry non-Europeans...and followers of the old 'imperialists'. I suspect boomers only know inches and miles and still love the Queen.

It only became part of our lexicon in the last twenty years...for us commoners I mean..down at the fruit shop

If Paton was in a porn flick would you still watch it?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

good onya tassy boy

did exactly the same protecting a pakistani kid
who was in our side (early 90’s)

copped a formal uptight white and right disciplinary appearance where i was expected to name names
from the other side

and because i wouldn’t (individualise)
... the ‘team’ was guilty (was my approach)

they then portrayed a history of past incidents ,
as a ‘rebellious attitude’ on my part
to be the real reason we walked off

(there was a smidge of truth in that accusation)

but in reality
their side provided rep players
our side provided the bottom dwellers in the comp

you can guess who won that round

f*** em

we were gone at the end of the season
... offered a vacant spot in their third tier comp

regardless of the fact we’d earned the right to play
in the ones by winning the twos a couple of years earlier

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 2:43pm Can today’s people be held accountable for atrocities committed by yesterday’s people?

In my main sport cricket, where I played with many Sri Lankan/Indian players
Racism was rife right up until the late 90s and for a few clubs they were still ordinary 10 years later
It was absolutely horrendous!
I led a walk off one day after a player was repeatedly called a monkey. And that was 05/06.

The culture had definitely improved, but you still have the odd big bogan Aussie who thinks he can denigrate because he’s better than them, pretty sad really.
In a roundabout fashion, you might be on to something BM.
Eddie did not want someone new being responsible for change that was necessary for indiscretions that were portrayed while he was in charge. He wanted to lean on his support, in this case guys like Gil and Dan to say let Eddie finish the job he started. He wanted his office cleaned before he left, unfortunately, it doesn't always work like that.
If he was bullied or harassed, it was because he failed in the first place. While the AFL demanded change, Eddie could only facilitate an image of social reform which fed into the problems of the community not the organisation. The report echoes this.

How he survived so long is a credit to his ability to broker power, while he fed the media with gaffs about Black men and King Kong, women being held under water for charity, double arm amputees being unable to toss a coin, even as a media executive he was called out for saying an attractive newsreader should be 'boned' or 'burnt when he wanted to sack her. Harry O, aka 'The Chimp' will haunt him for the rest of his life but Eddie won't give up.

You can't play both sides of the fence.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 12:41pm Eddie's major flaw, through my eyes, is that he grew up and remains a one-eyed, super passionate Collingwood man.

How I wish he were a Saints man. Much of the crap that spews forth about our Club on this and other forums would have been laid to rest a couple of decades ago had Eddie been calling. The shots at the Saints instead of the Pies.
Hate to admit it but if you step back and look at the guy I completely agree. He's absolutely in love with that club and it showed in his dealings. Glad we've got a President who seems professional, committed and very business like but it must have been nice to have a totally committed partisan at the wheel for all those years.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 3:13pm Systemic is a very nice word.

Symmetry.

Solid.

The ss sound sounds like SS, ala Himmler..or teeth joining to affect the hiss...like an animal about to go 'animal'. (Sorry animals)

the 'meh'..sounds like 'metric' ...metric system..European precision..sorry non-Europeans...and followers of the old 'imperialists'. I suspect boomers only know inches and miles and still love the Queen.

It only became part of our lexicon in the last twenty years...for us commoners I mean..down at the fruit shop

A plumber sent me a bill for a rental I sent him to to fix the toilet.
His bill said 'Replaced pipe due to systemic failure in sewerage outlet'.
Would 'Replaced President due to systemic failure in sewerage' work for Collingwood. Eddies s*** pipe got blocked too.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 3:45pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Feb 2021 3:13pm Systemic is a very nice word.

Symmetry.

Solid.

A plumber sent me a bill for a rental I sent him to to fix the toilet.
His bill said 'Replaced pipe due to systemic failure in sewerage outlet'.
Would 'Replaced President due to systemic failure in sewerage' work for Collingwood. Eddies s*** pipe got blocked too.
Maybe?
I figure the plumber could write system failure or failure in the system...but! ..he or she is justifying a bill, a charge, and he or she doesn’t want any quibbles with the payee, so why not use a word like ‘systemic’ ...it’s vague and technical enough to deter the payee from asking further questions!!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wonder what the other Presidents say to themselves about it all. Notice they would t address us fans I suppose.