Changes v Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Cats

Or maybe just some iou's after they are free in the off season

Gershwin
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 1:13am I think it's time to rest King. He's still built like a baby giraffe and he's been getting smashed in packs every week. With the short turnaround I think we should give him this game off, especially since he would have Taylor, Henderson, Blicavs and Stewart crashing into him all day. Jones looks pretty banged up as well but we can't afford to lose a starting mid.

Intuitively you'd feel like the rucks could need a rest but consider that Marshall is spending a fair bit of time up forward, and Ryder only played 65% of a shortened game so they could be right to keep going. We've got a young team that has had a pretty good run with injuries and the shortened quarters must help with recovery, so I don't think we need to go crazy resting players. Carlisle is playing awesome footy but may need a rest at some stage.

My guess is

Out: King (rested), Phillips (omitted)
In: Geary, Ross

Uninspiring ins but I think this is what we'll see

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Clark, Carlisle, Coffield
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Geary, Marshall, Hind
F: Butler, Battle, Membrey

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Jones
Int: Kent, Long, Ross, Sinclair
Would definitely rest King. And probably Ryder. Abbott deserves a run and can play Ruck and Forward. Marsh can come back too.
Must rest some mids - whoever is sore, and replace with the likes of Ross, Geary, Savage, Lonie, Byrnes and Bytel.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 8:40pm
tony74 wrote: Fri 07 Aug 2020 2:09pm Their midfield will be primed. Need to load up, Dangerfield and Selwood were basically rested against North.
How so? I did not watch the game but checking their stats now I see they had TOG of 82 % and &77%

Were they played in positions where they had to run less and play bruise free footy? I note that neither had a tackle.

Serious question.
They were protected, Dangerfield played predominantly deep forward only venturing into the centre when the game got tight in the last.

Selwood was simply eased into it, coming back from injury. Very low impact physically by both players.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Cats' stats v ours in 2020 - Geelong's stats are the first team's.
Worth highlighting they have only played two teams currently in the top 8 though. We've played three.
We've played

Contested possessions: 2nd v 9th
Uncontested possessions: 1st v 10th
Clearances: 3rd v 10th

*Team/Opponent average differences
(courtesy of catempire on Bigfooty)

These numbers illustrate just how important it is for us to exploit our strength on the flanks and along the wing. If we try to play through the centre corridor and trying to win the clearances we will allow Geelong to gain an advantage.

Given we only lost to Geelong at Kardinia Park by four goals last year when we really sucked, and the last goals were kicked by Geelong in junk time right at the end of the match when the game was over, I believe we are in with a chance here.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 4:15pm Cats' stats v ours in 2020 - Geelong's stats are the first team's.
Worth highlighting they have only played two teams currently in the top 8 though. We've played three.
We've played

Contested possessions: 2nd v 9th
Uncontested possessions: 1st v 10th
Clearances: 3rd v 10th

*Team/Opponent average differences
(courtesy of catempire on Bigfooty)

These numbers illustrate just how important it is for us to exploit our strength on the flanks and along the wing. If we try to play through the centre corridor and trying to win the clearances we will allow Geelong to gain an advantage.

Given we only lost to Geelong at Kardinia Park by four goals last year when we really sucked, and the last goals were kicked by Geelong in junk time right at the end of the match when the game was over, I believe we are in with a chance here.
Hope, like hell, you are right. :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we’re better than they are but am super concerned about the gap in breaks.

The GC game was a tough slug, reckon quite area guys looked tired.
They’ll be fresh and more rested.

Reckon that will be a problem for us that is hard to overcome. A loss wouldn’t surprise me... even a bad one but I reckon we would win well if we meet them again later

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 10:07am
mad saint guy wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 1:13am I think it's time to rest King. He's still built like a baby giraffe and he's been getting smashed in packs every week. With the short turnaround I think we should give him this game off, especially since he would have Taylor, Henderson, Blicavs and Stewart crashing into him all day. Jones looks pretty banged up as well but we can't afford to lose a starting mid.

Intuitively you'd feel like the rucks could need a rest but consider that Marshall is spending a fair bit of time up forward, and Ryder only played 65% of a shortened game so they could be right to keep going. We've got a young team that has had a pretty good run with injuries and the shortened quarters must help with recovery, so I don't think we need to go crazy resting players. Carlisle is playing awesome footy but may need a rest at some stage.

My guess is

Would definitely rest King. And probably Ryder. Abbott deserves a run and can play Ruck and Forward. Marsh can come back too.
Must rest some mids - whoever is sore, and replace with the likes of Ross, Geary, Savage, Lonie, Byrnes and Bytel.
I want to win this game.
I want no talk about people who, “deserve a run, or deserve a rest”.
Marsh is not good enough. Ditto Philips. Kent, I am trying to see his goodness.

Keep Sinclair. Keep Ryder. Wouldn’t Geelongs highly publicized ruck problem find itself struggling if we can swap RoMa and CCRyder around?. More headaches for them. This may leave us short at ground level.Enter Lonie.

By the way, do you rate Jones as a consistent performer? He has certainly had some highlights and great games. I don’t know enough, haven’t seen enough to judge. Just picking up hearsay it seems he is patchy so far? Hopefully he is not injured and will have a big influence. Lonnie gives it a go by the sounds of it.

I would consider one or even both of Geary or Savage and move Clark into the midfield. Especially if Jones is injured.
We have to think and play like winners do. No rest for the weary. Full time job boys..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Gershwin
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 5:15pm

My guess is

I want to win this game.

Keep Sinclair. Keep Ryder. Wouldn’t Geelongs highly publicized ruck problem find itself struggling if we can swap RoMa and CCRyder around?. More headaches for them. This may leave us short at ground level.Enter Lonie.

By the way, do you rate Jones as a consistent performer? He has certainly had some highlights and great games. I don’t know enough, haven’t seen enough to judge. Just picking up hearsay it seems he is patchy so far? Hopefully he is not injured and will have a big influence. Lonnie gives it a go by the sounds of it.

I would consider one or even both of Geary or Savage and move Clark into the midfield. Especially if Jones is injured.
We have to think and play like winners do. No rest for the weary. Full time job boys..
We are in the very fortunate position of having very few injuries. We have some good players not getting a game. The season is a marathon and not a sprint. Does a marathon runner care if he/she isn't the first to the next corner? No - it is being the first to the finish line. If any player is sore it can result in an injury if they play and put strain on that muscle.
If any player would significantly benefit from missing this game then do it and don't take a risk with their welfare. We have good backup in all positions.

I rate Jones but he is not in the top rung or even 2nd rung of midfielders. But it is out weakest position and he should play every week if fit. We desperately need to recruit a top quality mid who can extract the ball from stoppages. I would like to see Bytel given a chance.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

My guess is

I want to win this game.

Agree with most, if not all of this, but the exception is Kent. he stays in, for mine. He will get better as he plays more consistently.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 5:47pm

My guess is

I want to win this game.

We are in the very fortunate position of having very few injuries. We have some good players not getting a game. The season is a marathon and not a sprint. Does a marathon runner care if he/she isn't the first to the next corner? No - it is being the first to the finish line. If any player is sore it can result in an injury if they play and put strain on that muscle.
If any player would significantly benefit from missing this game then do it and don't take a risk with their welfare. We have good backup in all positions.

I rate Jones but he is not in the top rung or even 2nd rung of midfielders. But it is out weakest position and he should play every week if fit. We desperately need to recruit a top quality mid who can extract the ball from stoppages. I would like to see Bytel given a chance.
I am more inclined to play each week like it’s Final or a knock out competition. Especially this year with the unpredictability of fixturing.

Thanks for Jones info.

How about Robertson then? He is class. How close is he to coming back? Obviously they went with Savage last time.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

My guess is

I want to win this game.

Jones isn’t “in the top rung or even 2nd rung of midfielders“.

Are you referring to the Saint’s or the league’s Mids?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 5:03pm
I've always found when cooking slugs it is best to leave them in a marinade overnight and not to fry them too long, very similar to calamari - Rest them & they'll be fresh!

Gershwin
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 6:22pm

My guess is

I want to win this game.

Jones isn’t “in the top rung or even 2nd rung of midfielders“.

Are you referring to the Saint’s or the league’s Mids?
Leagues.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 6:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 5:03pm
I've always found when cooking slugs it is best to leave them in a marinade overnight and not to fry them too long, very similar to calamari - Rest them & they'll be fresh!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bytel and Geary IN
Jones rested and Phillips OUT
Ross probably not available

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think Phillips is a bit stiff, but I suppose he was only a late replacement for Geary.

Not too worried about Seb being out, I think he’s becoming more a depth player this year.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.