We can't accept 3-5 after Round 8...so...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: We can't accept 3-5 after Round 8...so...

Yeah got to agree BM, there will be no honeymoon period for this coach. The change in coach has been done very smartly by the club and so the transition should be virtually seamless. Even by his own admission the game plan is virtually the same with only a small tweak. I hope finals is the goal being set internally, in fact I'd be surprised and embarrassed if it wasn't.

We managed to etch out 9 wins last year with an injury riddled list and a whole lot of uncertainty in the coaching department. Surely another 3-4 wins is possible with this list now. We just need some luck with injuries.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 01 Jan 2020 6:36pm
Hunter2King wrote: Wed 01 Jan 2020 4:05pm .... how Germany kept funding the war machine for so long....Turns out money and funding and were not really an issue.
Never understood money, esp in a war. I mean do they just print it..and how the how does it hold value?...and US had a huge debt post-war...their biggest ever....Brits also poor, but Britain continued being poor and the US boomed and funded the booming of Japan, Germany, South Korea all with a gigantic defence budget. Obviously, if God imposed a salary cap, it might have been different.

I don't wanna accept mediocre results in 2020, I want to see reasons and hope that they'll be huge improvement, but at whose expense. So I have to hope Melbourne, North Melbourne, bulldogs, Carlton, Geelong, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide and Fremantle to really struggle. I can't see Sydney, GWS, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon down and out for long stretches..maybe Essendon.
Including last year Sydney will miss the finals for 8 consecutive years. This I can guarantee.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 02 Jan 2020 12:15pm
Including last year Sydney will miss the finals for 8 consecutive years. This I can guarantee.
Ok...I’ll take that. One only hears about the great culture up there etc.,

Other teams fans will be looking for weak cracks in our presentation too.

One thing I never thought of until today, will the departure of Jack Steven be a relief fro some...obviously he had mates and was immensely held in high esteem, but if there was conflict, perhaps it is behind us and onwards and upwards etc.,

I think many think the Saints will rise. I’ll be interested to hear Lloyd on 3AW or Footy Classified with his prognosis. (Except I cant in Japan) He has cut through the hyperbole a few times before, including correctly predicting the Saints decline a couple of years ago, when all and sundry were blowing bubbles about our imminent advance.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 02 Jan 2020 12:42pm

One thing I never thought of until today, will the departure of Jack Steven be a relief fro some...obviously he had mates and was immensely held in high esteem, but if there was conflict, perhaps it is behind us and onwards and upwards etc.,

I think many think the Saints will rise. I’ll be interested to hear Lloyd on 3AW or Footy Classified with his prognosis. (Except I cant in Japan) He has cut through the hyperbole a few times before, including correctly predicting the Saints decline a couple of years ago, when all and sundry were blowing bubbles about our imminent advance.
I think we will rise next year but unfortunately it will be a false economy. In the same mould as 2016 and 2017. My reasoning is because we simply do not have enough quality youth coming through. I know people are going to say but we have King, Bytel, Coffield, Clark etc etc, but you need to compare this to all of the other teams in the bottom half of the ladder. Three examples come to mind. Gold Coast (albeit they have had a leg up from the AFL), Carlton and Melbourne. All 3 of them have much better youth coming through than us. We will probably finish higher than them next year but all three of them will zoom up the ladder and overtake us the year after.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

In a slightly longer term view, I think we can win 7 of the first 11 and most importantly beat both Nth and West Coast straight up. A big home crowd and the emotion with Danny's tribute may just see us home. I think we have the cattle and playing style to match it with West Coast.
Rounds 3 and 5 are the most pivotal for me. While winning may not happen, if we can walk away believing we could have, I think we can create real momentum.
Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood and GWS are the real challenges in my opinion.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What the first 8 games will tell us somewhat is the difference between having a proper coach (Ratts) and an absolutely abysmal coach (Cho).

But the real test will how we perform not only in China but interstate.

IF we get full injury-free seasons from Jones and Hill, we will be all in shock what it’s like to have a properly functioning engine room.

I’ve also got a semi thinking about the impact of Ryder - I reckon he will have a similar impact to Gardy

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I miss Footy Classified- just wish it was an earlier than 10pm!

Can’t you watch it streamed on 9NOW in Japan or it that another stupid geo block??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 8:23am

I miss Footy Classified- just wish it was an earlier than 10pm!

Can’t you watch it streamed on 9NOW in Japan or it that another stupid geo block??
Do what I do. Record it and watch it next day at a sensible hour.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 02 Jan 2020 11:21am Even by his own admission the game plan is virtually the same with only a small tweak.
Please.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I miss Footy Classified...

Not a chance. Blocked. Not available in your country.

For years I enjoyed it on YouTube, now those posters can't/ pon't post Em anympre. Channel ( ) just cleans out YouTube so its dead.

I paid for AFL app last year thinking I could get classified etc. But none of the good shows are on it. Except on the couch which isn't too bad. Classified isnt as good as it was..when Llyon and llyod and Caro and whoever else they had would get would spar- even Thommo. Judd is bald so I don't wanna watch him lol..he's nothing much, hutchy isn't bad, but anyway I'd love to see classified again. I have a thing about paying for proxy servers.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 7:05pm
I miss Footy Classified...

Not a chance. Blocked. Not available in your country.

For years I enjoyed it on YouTube, now those posters can't/ pon't post Em anympre. Channel ( ) just cleans out YouTube so its dead.

I paid for AFL app last year thinking I could get classified etc. But none of the good shows are on it. Except on the couch which isn't too bad. Classified isnt as good as it was..when Llyon and llyod and Caro and whoever else they had would get would spar- even Thommo. Judd is bald so I don't wanna watch him lol..he's nothing much, hutchy isn't bad, but anyway I'd love to see classified again. I have a thing about paying for proxy servers.
Three words. VPN.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 08 Jan 2020 11:26pm In a slightly longer term view, I think we can win 7 of the first 11 and most importantly beat both Nth and West Coast straight up. A big home crowd and the emotion with Danny's tribute may just see us home. I think we have the cattle and playing style to match it with West Coast.
Rounds 3 and 5 are the most pivotal for me. While winning may not happen, if we can walk away believing we could have, I think we can create real momentum.
Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood and GWS are the real challenges in my opinion.
Agree with most of this.
Think we can match West Coast, but not North Melbourne. Their midfield is extremely skilled and hard-nosed. We also don't have a defense which can hold their forwards to a losing score.
Out of the other four teams you mentioned it is hard to see us beating any of them this year. Their midfielders are far too good. I think we need to aim to at least be able to compete and not get blown away in matches against that group. However, we are also capable of pulling off an upset at Docklands when we are 'on' and the crowd gets behind us.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 11 Jan 2020 8:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 02 Jan 2020 4:37pm

I think we will rise next year but unfortunately it will be a false economy. In the same mould as 2016 and 2017. My reasoning is because we simply do not have enough quality youth coming through. I know people are going to say but we have King, Bytel, Coffield, Clark etc etc, but you need to compare this to all of the other teams in the bottom half of the ladder. Three examples come to mind. Gold Coast (albeit they have had a leg up from the AFL), Carlton and Melbourne. All 3 of them have much better youth coming through than us. We will probably finish higher than them next year but all three of them will zoom up the ladder and overtake us the year after.
I do agree that some supporters and sections of the media are going too early on some of our young players, particularly in light of the fact that some of them have never even played one single match yet.

But the jury is out on Suns, Blues and Demons. If they are so good, then how come we keep beating all three of them regularly? The Suns will always have the problem of their best talent being pillaged, and Melbourne look a lot less potent without Hogan in that side.

I think we can trade and draft our way out of trouble in the next couple of years. 2016 and 2017 were different because we kept expecting the same four legitimate champion veterans in their early-mid 30s to keep winning games of footy for us week in, week out, at the expense of young players being given their chances.

I liked the way the club was proactive and ruthless in the recent trade period. The sides I am most worried about competing against next season are North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs. Their youth have shown way more than ours have. How good is Naughton?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 7:40pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 7:05pm I have a thing about paying for proxy servers.
Three words. VPN.
I have a thing about paying for proxy servers,

You are welcome to pay the 10.00 monthly fee for me. lol

So stop whining...and move back to Moorabbin...I know, but Aust is too expensive to move home to now.

So i will probably pay for the VPN, truth be told. Join 'em..if you can't beat 'em.

VPNs

It's illegal, it's spammy - they actually advertise that you can pay anonymously with bitcoin...they are mostly owned by one company..

..but,,, yes, the VPN industry is growing at 18% p.a. and will be worth 70 billion a year by 2025 I am told. About as much as half the world's countries GDPs!
I am sure they pay tax for every cent of that)...but that is only the bit they show...imagine what they are getting under the table for encrypting digital data for companies moving their money around...holy...and the pension is a pittance...no f wonder!!!

Saints should be sponsored by a VPN company..

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 12:27am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 7:05pm I have a thing about paying for proxy servers.
Three words. VPN.

So stop whining...and move back to Moorabbin...I know, but Aust is too expensive to move home to now.

So i will probably pay for the VPN, truth be told. Join 'em..if you can't beat 'em.

VPNs

It's illegal, it's spammy - they actually advertise that you can pay anonymously with bitcoin...they are mostly owned by one company..

..but,,, yes, the VPN industry is growing at 18% p.a. and will be worth 70 billion a year by 2025 I am told. About as much as half the world's countries GDPs!
I am sure they pay tax for every cent of that)...but that is only the bit they show...imagine what they are getting under the table for encrypting digital data for companies moving their money around...holy...and the pension is a pittance...no f wonder!!!

あけましておもでっとうございます。
シャエイントキルダがんばれ!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 1:28am
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 12:27am
Three words. VPN.

VPNs

あけましておもでっとうございます。
シャエイントキルダがんばれ!
あけましたおめでとうto you too.
Sha - e - i-n-to-su. Fighto! Fighto!
I thinks its Sent Kilda - セントキルダ..

プラっガ!!!

So which VNP do you use?

Actually !

Saintsationalists.

Can you pick the Round One Team?
I think we should play a game..must be some prize in it.
A prize for the person who picks the most players for the listed starting line up for Round One.
here is the thing...Gotta be in by Australia Day.
I will donate a Bottle of Sake. Straight from the local 7/11 sent to Saintsational. Or decent Green Tea if preferred

So come on boys and girls. What is your team for Round One? Winner gets the sake or green tea. If it is a tie, then winner is the person who gets the most correct positions.

minneapolis
Club Player

I think Ratts will be raring to go. And will pick all of the new 5 in Round 1.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

I'm going to start off by saying there is zero chance all 5 of the new traded recruits will get selected.

Hill and Jones are automatic.

Ryder is automatic (ish) because I think he gives us the extra tall key forward and can part time ruck when Marshall plays forward.

Howard has made it clear he only wants to play in the backline which is going to make selection in the backline interesting. Battle has to remain in the backline along with Carlisle. Brown will only play this year if someone is injured. So Howard will have to force Battle out or Carslise into the forward line. He doesn't play round 1 reckon.

Buttler will have to prove himself in the practice matches against all of the other small forwards capable of keeping him out of the team. I don't think he'll play round 1.

It's not the whole team I know but we've got until Australian Day and a bottle of Sake up for grabs

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda are going to face what we did Rd1 if they try and cram all their recruits into the side at once.

From NM Big fty thread.

I'll try and post their ideal round one team to make it more interesting

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 8:13am I'm going to start off by saying there is zero chance all 5 of the new traded recruits will get selected.

Ryder is automatic (ish) because I think he gives us the extra tall key forward and can part time ruck when Marshall plays forward.

Howard has made it clear he only wants to play in the backline which is going to make selection in the backline interesting. Battle has to remain in the backline along with Carlisle. Brown will only play this year if someone is injured. So Howard will have to force Battle out or Carslise into the forward line. He doesn't play round 1 reckon.

Buttler will have to prove himself in the practice matches against all of the other small forwards capable of keeping him out of the team. I don't think he'll play round 1.

It's not the whole team I know but we've got until Australian Day and a bottle of Sake up for grabs
Hill will play barring injury but the other four are not guaranteed spots. Not saying they wont play just not sayings it's 100%
Jones is quick for sure but his disposal, especially under pressure is not good and he kicks clangers. Assuming he wants to play HBF then he is up against the most competition for that spot but he should play. Based on Rattens comments long might be training as a HBF now
Paddy Ryder. Depends if we need another tall up forward which will depend on game plan and the the size of the defence we are playing against
Howard. Dont think he will play based on his fitness and speed. Got lapped in the 10K so I think he has some hard yard to do. But if we move battle forward then we have a spot that need filling and that helps his case
Buttler i know little of him except he wasn't good enough for the tigers. Yes they have a good team obviously but last year he was a VFL player and we have a lot of average small forwards. Whoever stands out pre season plays

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Richardson had to go. Ratten has a nice 3 yr contract. We should win at least 50% of games, hopefully 13.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 9:07pm Richardson had to go. Ratten has a nice 3 yr contract. We should win at least 50% of games, hopefully 13.
It would be good to have a winning season - that is, win more than 50% of our matches. Since 2012 we have only achieved that once, in 2016.
Since 2011, twice; in 2012 and 2017.

Think winning 12 matches has to be the realistic goal at this stage. We won't play finals this season, I shouldn't think, unless our percentage is excellent.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Just a stab in the dark:
B: Geary Carlisle Howard
HB: Savage Battle Roberton
C: Steele Hannebury Hill
HF: Billings Membrey Gresham
F: Long King Lonie
R: Marshall, Jones, Ross
I/C Ryder, Webster, Clark
E: Coffield, Hind, Parker

Round 1 team could look something like that.
I would like to play N Brown, but against a big, mobile forward line like North have, a fit Carlisle and more mobile Battle to play in the key position posts seems a better option.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sun 29 Dec 2019 11:07am We lose three in a row and things will turn to s***

Last time we loaded up with recruits

Gehrig, Hamill, Lawrence, Capuano, Black, Powell and Callaghan

New Coach
Blight

Number 1 and 2 Draft Picks
Roo and Kosi

And we finished 2nd last!

Only good thing out of that season, we got 6 picks (2, 5, 13, 21, 37, 49) in the superdraft of 2001
Only problem is that this time 'round, in 2020, we have a 1st round pick and a 4th round pick. In one of the weakest drafts in history (due to academy picks). That is all.

I think we'll spend a lot of the 2020 adjusting to all of the new players in the team and (hopefully) a new game style that's suited to our players' strengths. I hope for the best but suspect we'll be a lot like Port Adelaide in 2018 after they added Watts, Rockliff, Motlop

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 9:00pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020 8:13am I'm going to start off by saying there is zero chance all 5 of the new traded recruits will get selected.

Hill will play barring injury but the other four are not guaranteed spots. Not saying they wont play just not sayings it's 100%
Jones is quick for sure but his disposal, especially under pressure is not good and he kicks clangers. Assuming he wants to play HBF then he is up against the most competition for that spot but he should play. Based on Rattens comments long might be training as a HBF now
Paddy Ryder. Depends if we need another tall up forward which will depend on game plan and the the size of the defence we are playing against
Howard. Dont think he will play based on his fitness and speed. Got lapped in the 10K so I think he has some hard yard to do. But if we move battle forward then we have a spot that need filling and that helps his case
Buttler i know little of him except he wasn't good enough for the tigers. Yes they have a good team obviously but last year he was a VFL player and we have a lot of average small forwards. Whoever stands out pre season plays
I had forgotten about the poor time trial by Howard and so you make good point about him possibly not being fit enough for selection early in the season.