Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

Con Gorozidis wrote:We just lost 0.5 goals per game.
Membrey surely can kick a goal a game.
plus 1 ... (my plus sign key is kaput).

dragit
Saintsational Legend

?
Rhys kicked 18 from 19 games
Membrey certainly won't be taking 6+ marks each week or relieving in the ruck.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Not happy a 50 game , 200 cm forward ruckman who can run like the wind and is only 23 !

PADDLEPOP1000
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is one of those players who has ALMOST every trait the modem footballer needs.

Unfortunately the things he lack Can't be taught, things like hunger, aggression and that knack of reading the play.

he's no better than other blokes like Giles, Jenkins, Hampson who have been shown to be mediocre at two clubs.

Pick 21 is pretty fair for mine, also gives me confidence in the faith shown to guys like white.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Never thought he would work out, doesn't have that something...that trigger. Maybe his 4th coach can tap in somehow...

I rate hunger and workrate....he never had it.

edit....what armo said
Last edited by SainterK on Wed 15 Oct 2014 3:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

PMSL at stinger ...
thats it im going to write a letter !!!

hahahahahaha

doubt it will get past the receptionist except to be pass around and laughed at ... honestly i used to have some respect for you as a long time saints member who had been through the highs and lows over the generations who wears his heart on his sleeve ... now im more of the thinking you are one of those crazy fanboys who is nothing but pi55 and wind ...
time to grow up a little bit

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:PMSL at stinger ...
thats it im going to write a letter !!!

hahahahahaha

doubt it will get past the receptionist except to be pass around and laughed at ... honestly i used to have some respect for you as a long time saints member who had been through the highs and lows over the generations who wears his heart on his sleeve ... now im more of the thinking you are one of those crazy fanboys who is nothing but pi55 and wind ...
time to grow up a little bit
Haha he gave me a laugh!! :lol:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:Just quick one, Anyone else wish we could get Membrey for a pick swans won't use - just them being nice and then get say Jaksch to walk in draft? Just feel we ain't utilising pick 1 psd effectively
Pick 1 PSD is only useful for out-of-contract guys. I don't think there are many left who we'd be interested in, so it doesn't matter too much.

SAAD
Club Player

Most people on the Geelong forum are not happy. Seen Rhys out on the town a few times with Gwilt and Armo. Interesting.

Austinnn
Club Player

People are saying that he's a ruck man, not a forward.

So why did why aggressively hunt down Hickey and Longer, not to mention pick Pierce? The club had tried Stanley in the ruck previously to that, and with Lenny, Dal and Joey around him, correct? Mustn't have offered enough, although ruck men do take time to develop. We've only got 4 now, what a shame.

I hope he has a good future, and I think he will. I reckon this will be seen as similar to the McEvoy trade, a win win.

Not extatic about it, but rather trade him than Steven or Armo. Time will tell if this was the right or wrong move, but fir now let's hope that we get our picks right.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He lacks attack on the ball and the man. When in the ruck he tries to avoid hard contact. Okay, we're losing a guy with height and speed, but without the aggression and manic hunger he'll always be what he is now, a guy who fills a hole and occasionally does something good. If a player lacks the drive and aggression after 6 years in the system, he's not going to suddenly find it overnight. Nick Riewoldt is 193cm and plays like a 198cm player. Stanley is the opposite.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:absolute pricks......the guy who runs my gym says that the saints have lost the f****** plot...i agree with him 100%

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-10-1 ... nley-trade

i will be writing to the president...and every time that rhys helps geelong do us over...i will be writing to him again.......they can beg all they like for money from me next year...they will get zilch.....
You might as well quit posting too if you're giving the club away.

bad news for you....i'm not giving the club away...just showing my disapproval of their shitty recruitment policy which i happen to disagree with....only avenue i have....and what i choose to do is none of your business anyway.....
LOL.

This might work, Shlingerr...

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Playon
Club Player

dragit wrote:
?
Exactly.. I don't get it. Yes we have forwards and yes we have ruckmen but we had both in Stanley.
Being injured and having to play down back didn't help him to develop, Another season and who knows..

What now play 2 pure rucks? 1 ruck who's going to give our ruckman a rest?

At 23 he could of been there when we are supposed to be challenging.

Not happy with this trade at all.

brewski
Club Player

Think we have made a big mistake with this deal, Rhys was a versatile player and although he hadn't really shown much i feel he could potentially be an awesome player
i met him last year and had a brief chat, he was a lovely and polite guy but he seemed a little immature, after all he still a young guy, my son is his age and the transformation my son has made in the last 12 months as far as his career and life has been incredible, some times so people just need a little more time.
i think we will regret this trade, we are so critical and say he has been in the system for 5 years etc etc but i still believe Rhys could be a great player, we have always been so roo conscious going forward and after his development time we were on a downward slide and our mids couldnt hit the side of a barn, imagine with the cats disposal skills he could be a freak when those hands get sticky.

feel this gonna hurt, hope im wrong !!!!

Banned by the censors
Playon
Club Player

brewski wrote:Think we have made a big mistake with this deal, Rhys was a versatile player and although he hadn't really shown much i feel he could potentially be an awesome player
i met him last year and had a brief chat, he was a lovely and polite guy but he seemed a little immature, after all he still a young guy, my son is his age and the transformation my son has made in the last 12 months as far as his career and life has been incredible, some times so people just need a little more time.
i think we will regret this trade, we are so critical and say he has been in the system for 5 years etc etc but i still believe Rhys could be a great player, we have always been so roo conscious going forward and after his development time we were on a downward slide and our mids couldnt hit the side of a barn, imagine with the cats disposal skills he could be a freak when those hands get sticky.

feel this gonna hurt, hope im wrong !!!!
I agree will be interesting to see hows he's playing in 5 years and posted something similar earlier. Well all I can say is.. Who's next.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

We stuffed up!

PADDLEPOP1000
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
dragit wrote:
?
Exactly.. I don't get it. Yes we have forwards and yes we have ruckmen but we had both in Stanley.
Being injured and having to play down back didn't help him to develop, Another season and who knows..

What now play 2 pure rucks? 1 ruck who's going to give our ruckman a rest?

At 23 he could of been there when we are supposed to be challenging.

Not happy with this trade at all.
Could he do both roles or neither?
There were many many instances where he simply refused to go for the ball and did everything in his power to change direction to avoid it.

Shaun Hampson kicked 15 from 13 in 2012 at age 24. Whats the diff?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 15 Oct 2014 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:We stuffed up!
We'll see I guess

markp
Saintsational Legend

Only ever teased, a good deal for mine.

I wish him all the best.

And as K says, we'll see... it'll all come down to what we do with 21!

kalsaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:For whats its worth Cats fans are not happy with this deal.

Probably because they rated Christenson higher than Stanley. Boo hoo. Terry Wallace seems to agree but who cares now.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote:Dont love this trade

Am not convinced we dame out on top
Stanley will never be more than an above average player. He was originally pick # 47 so we have come out on top.

We need the draft picks and Stanley is replacable as implied above.
Yes but marginally. I have a rule of thumb on younger players. For each year they stay on the list and play their rating increases by 5 places. If they don't achieve a developed position within 4 years they therefore probably don't deserve to be kept. The round 1 picks are the exceptions. They should be past the development within 3 years to maintain their spot. This sets a broad rating systems for list management and although it can be reviewed in context with injuries and other personal matters by recruitment personnel.

Stanley didn't make it in my opinion. You can argue that big blokes take longer to realise potential but I would rather recycle the bigger players more regularly to keep them in touch. The Saints have done thi to date.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Stanley's trade value is closer to a pick in the 30's I would've thought. Pick 21 for Stanley you take it & run.

maybe so, but our tall forward line is not much good. and Reiwoldt probably only has a year or max two left.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him, but, Rhys and Blicavs are the same type of player, one of them will be in the VFL.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:Interesting that SEN claim Cats aim to play Clark forwards, Blicavs as a back and then groom Stanley as a ruckman - with injury concerns on both McIntosh and Vardy. Don't think we've really viewed him in this light.
but i don't think we needed Stanley as a fulltime ruckman.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Stanley is like a hot chick that one dates for a wee while and only sporadically wants to bang.