Battle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle

repta wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 9:57am It all started with low ball offer.
Then the saints insulted him by chasing Weitering on double what they were prepared to offer him.
Yes it is about family.
It is about future.

The saints are run by muppets.

There was no surprise when the Hawks came knocking he accepted the call. A long successful team. A coach that valued him highly. More money. A bigger chance of ultimate success. Hawks are a very very successful team in the last 40 years (are they the most successful? If not they would be close) and on the rise again.
Premerierships pay their way for years after the boots are hung up.

Saints would want to learn from the mistakes with Battle. With the young crop coming through they need to keep their mouth shut, reward the future stars and plan for tomorrow.
Couldn't disagree more.
How do you know the series of events that transpired? You've made it all up because it fits the narrative you prefer.
Another poster on here whose view seems to be coloured by their personal bias against the appointment of Lyon, rather than accepting that not everything done by the Club is bad. I would contend that this current admin is getting fara more decicions right than wrong.

BTW, I would suspect that the offer to Weitering, if it actually occurred as reported, was as a replacement for Howard and not Battle. Weitering normally plays as a FB rather than a CHB

spert
Saintsational Legend

I suspect Ratten being at the Hawks probably helped- a lot of our playing group liked him. This is pro sport with players getting very large contracts and all the goodies that go with it, so if Battle decides to go, it's no different than an experienced worker going off to work for another company if they wish- you miss them, but it soon fades. Let's look forward to next season.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Saints let the fox in the hen house with roughead

Vazelos
Club Player

Roughead has played some dirty games for awhile his big fat massive ego couldn’t take the fact he was moved on by the Saints.
He was behind that rumour of Marshall not being happy during the middle of the year which was bull dust but his machivelian tactics have been identified within our club.

He and Ratten no doubt were influential but Sam Mitchell and his wife played a massive role in getting Battle over the line they got to Battles wife and she wears the pants on the family. They sold the family club story and how they have a baby sitting service during match days etc
Mitchell even gave his holiday house to them to use which I believe is inducement and should contravene the rules .
Battle fortified plenty to stay he decided to leave and I see that as a pretty low act as the money offered and the environment at our club is very good present.
Many have stayed for much more lucrative offers and at stronger teams it was marginal with us I think it’s a low act and he has disappointed a lot of people .
He is now with the enemy we move on.

Vazelos
Club Player

Roughead has played some dirty games for awhile his big fat massive ego couldn’t take the fact he was moved on by the Saints.
He was behind that rumour of Marshall not being happy during the middle of the year which was bull dust but his machivelian tactics have been identified within our club.

He and Ratten no doubt were influential but Sam Mitchell and his wife played a massive role in getting Battle over the line they got to Battles wife and she wears the pants in the family. They sold the family club story and how they have a baby sitting service during match days etc
Mitchell even gave his holiday house to them to use which I believe is inducement and should contravene the rules .
Battle was offered plenty to stay he decided to leave and I see that as a pretty low act as the money offered and the environment at our club is very good present.
Many have stayed ignoring much more lucrative offers and at stronger teams it was marginal with us I think it’s a low act and he has disappointed a lot of people .
He is now with the enemy we move on.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos: if what you say is true, then I can’t see much wrong with what Sam and Mrs Mitchell have done. If you look after you employees, they are going to be keener to work for you.

As long as the holiday house was Mitchell’s private property and didn’t belong to the club, it’s not an inducement.

Why don’t we have a match day child care service? It sounds like a really good idea to me.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

“The family club”

FRO

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 11:53am Vazelos: if what you say is true, then I can’t see much wrong with what Sam and Mrs Mitchell have done. If you look after you employees, they are going to be keener to work for you.

As long as the holiday house was Mitchell’s private property and didn’t belong to the club, it’s not an inducement.

Why don’t we have a match day child care service? It sounds like a really good idea to me.
How do you know?

Have you checked the rules?

We probably don’t have a baby sitting service because it’s costly.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
wally
Club Player

On one of the tv shows I saw an interview with Sicily who said something like.,. I’ve met Battle a few times through mutual friends ….so I guess Josh liked what he saw and has now moved on.
We have to now hopefully with a good compo pick but somehow I think we’ll get screwed

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 11:53am Vazelos: if what you say is true, then I can’t see much wrong with what Sam and Mrs Mitchell have done. If you look after you employees, they are going to be keener to work for you.

MB
How do you know we don't have a baby-sitting service? I don't know if we did but I do know that if Battle wanted a baby-sitting service on match day and that was the difference between staying or going the Club would figure out a way to provide it. Any club would, especially as its cost wouldn't come under the salary cap.
I also know it's not a true reason for taking 50k per year less (as hypothesized) over 6 years ($300,000 total).

I'm absolutely astonished that so many posters are willing to accept complete rubbish as 'fact' about this.
Football clubs lie (including ours)
Players lie
Managers lie
Reporters/journalists are 'backgrounded' by invested parties all the time.
Mostly the true motives for the backgrounding are hidden.

Yet so many on here are quick to jump in and pillory the Club and it's officials over rumours/tidbits that nobody knows are true/false.
I maintain that is due to bias justification regarding decisions made by the administration in firing Ratten and hiring Lyon.
But it's only my opinion - I don't know it for a fact.

IMHO, if it's true that Battle is accepting less from Hawthorn to move then his stated reason of 'looking after his family's interests' is a lie.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Well.....he's gone. It's all over. His name gets wiped off the club website and we move on.

We have Cordy, Caminiti, and Schoenmaker in the frame for his replacement. Yes, we lose a bit, and those guys are not as good as Battle in the same role, but this list build is moving forward and there's no point sulking about whether this or that did or didn't happen in the lead up to Battle's departure.

The focus now is the draft and whatever else the club has bubbling away in the background

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 12:51pm Well.....he's gone. It's all over. His name gets wiped off the club website and we move on.

We have Cordy, Caminiti, and Schoenmaker in the frame for his replacement. Yes, we lose a bit, and those guys are not as good as Battle in the same role, but this list build is moving forward and there's no point sulking about whether this or that did or didn't happen in the lead up to Battle's departure.

The focus now is the draft and whatever else the club has bubbling away in the background
True. I try to think of it a a terribly sad career ending injury, one that won't impact his quality of life, but. Until Kennett corners him for a lecture and free advice.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Hell's Bells, can't remember the last time people have got so worked up over a player leaving to play elsewhere!!

Conspiracy theories that the AFL doesn't want St Kilda to succeed are absolute rubbish.

Time will tell if Hawthorn have offered enough to trigger a frdp following St Kilda's 7th, but if not, so be it, there's nothing to be done about that so just move on, as I said in my earlier post, it's not a disaster by any means.

The players, via their Association, fought long and hard to be given the right, under "freedom of trade", to transfer to another club after a certain perod of time. In fact we're lucky that they have not escalated this matter to align with the NRL where players can be poached anytime during the season to sign up with another team in the following year.

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, it’s a business, one we have to accept but certainly not one that we have to like as supporters. The minute we do that is the minute the game starts by to slowly die because we are accepting that our passion is waning.

I don’t like what battle has done. I can accept players leaving when it’s obvious they are not getting opportunities they desire. For example, Gresham and Billings last year. It was obvious the coach had moved on from both players and they were probably advised to look for a trade if they could. Gresham was probably a bit more controversial with some, but it was easier for me to stomach maybe because I didn’t rate him as highly as I do battle. I feel like we have done everything we can for battle. He certainly struggled to find his niche for the first few years, but it feels like at the first opportunity he’s had to leave. He’s taken it. I hate the way he asked the club to run through the banner with his daughters as if we’re all expected to swallow the s*** he was about to deliver. Don’t try and be everybody’s mate . Make your decision and f*** off out of here. You have been given every opportunity to become an AFL football and once you blossomed you want to leave. That’s fair enough but it doesn’t mean you get all the hugs on the way out the door. Just f*** off and don’t look back. You are now just a player who represented the StKilda football club. You will never be held in any sort of esteem or reverence that say Frawley, Fisher, Hudghton are. You are now just a bloke who played 100 games at our club. Pretty good effort, but you fade into the wall with the 60 or 70 players that have done so before you and will after you who have achieved the same thing

. And hopefully this season from Hawthorn was just an anomaly and they Plateau. They certainly have had a very good run with injuries and have been able to settle their team. I don’t mind saying that. I hope he doesn’t achieve anything in his career and that he regrets this decision for the rest of his life.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Well Josh, I hope it comes to you in a sudden, blinding flash of inspiration ... as you line up on Cooper Sharman or Mitchito Owens or Max King in the 2026 grand final ... that you should have stuck with the forces of good rather than the forces of evil :P

It's a body blow, but no one is irreplacable

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

At the risk of raising some posters' ire, I suggest Battle isn't a massive loss, and will be adequately replaced with what we've already got.

He never won a B&F or even came close. He's a short key position gap filler. Yes he's good overhead, but not outstanding and he's an adequate kick.

He benefited from being in a defensive "team" of Enright's creation. If we were to rank him in our back six, he would be ranked fourth. Wilkie, Sinclair and Nas would be far greater losses if they chose to leave.

So, in conclusion, he's no champion. The role of the intercept defender is not complex, nor difficult. Caminiti, Hayes and the Schoe could all step in and do just as well.

The only down side is the lack of adequate compensation. Once again, the AFL will find a way to screw us. When the early rumors about Battle leaving started swirling about, if compo was around pick 6 or 7, I wanted to grab it and run.
A second rounder, which looks increasingly likely, seems short of the mark.

He's now an ex-saints player, and there's nothing as ex as an ex. F*** the over rated dorks and their Trojan horse, Roughead. Not only worked on Battle, but also ruined the career of the promising Ben Paton.

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

Not interested in former players.

Just waiting on compensation pick to be happy or disappointed.

I feel a fair result is halfway between the two potential options.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
loris
Saintsational Legend

I’m with you NDSC - I don’t think Battle will be a massive loss. Yes he’s a good intercept mark. This was his best season. Nevertheless, I used to hold my breath when he was trying to clear a ball that was below his knees, all he could do then was bullock his way along & hoped that the ball would bobble out into the hands of some other nearby Saint. Also, he ran on tram-tracks, no sideways movement to his game at all. Although I admit I was always pleased when the tram tacks had no bend in them when he’d run off his man & receive a hand pass and send the ball into the F50.

He’s now just another ex-player for the Saints - can’t say I’ll miss him that much. I think he’s been lucky (since he’s been down back), to have Wilkie beside him, to do as Wilkie does, make up for the limitations of other players around him.
I’m happy to move on from Battle and his unsightly tatts.
Whereas I shed bucketloads of tears for Saints delisting Seb Ross 💔🥲🥲🥲. I really hoped they could use his leadership skills into the next season somehow. Who knows if another club doesn’t take Sebbie on, they might pick him later as a Rookie? I can just live in hope.🤞

ctqs
Club Player

He had a good season this year but he often took the wrong option and executed it poorly when under pressure. I'm not upset he's gone especially given we will get more than he's worth with a first-round compo pick. Aside from all that, everyone else is entitled to change jobs for whatever reason they like - money, new environment, lifestyle change, get away from a manager. He's no different.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Battle’s request to run through the banner with his kid was some FIGJAM BS. Should have been dropped for it. I can’t help but feel insulted that he turned down a better offer from the club that saw through his development as an AFL player. Anyway, he’s dead to me now. Will be booing him in full voice next time we play the Poos&Wees :evil:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He's no Neil Roberts!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Killa
Club Player

Compare Houston's (a 2 times All Australian) media announcement to Battle's.

Looking forward to our Number 3 or 4 forward, being either Sharman or Owens, giving him the work over, which they will.

They could then look to "hide" him on King or Membrey (or Marshall dropping forward).

Given Lyon's comments when asked, I don't think Battle was on Lyon's (or Enright's) "must keep" list.

The response was not "He is a required player at St Kilda"

So what do Lyon (and Enright) have in prospect?

Given the salary cap space we now have?

And the look at Caminiti as a defensive option.

loris
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 4:07pm He's no Neil Roberts!
Definitely not magnifisaint . I’ll tell you a little story about the great Neil Roberts.

My older sister Helen adored Coco Roberts when she was a teenager. Her side of our bedroom walls, was full of pictures of Neil Roberts. Roberts was her heart throb ❤️‍🔥

A number of years back, when Grant Thomas was coach. GT was so good at bringing over injured players and ex-players to the functions the Western Saints supporter group held before the Saints Freo or Eagles games.

Neil Roberts & Kevin Neale were to be the guest speakers at the function. I had to pick Coco & Cowboy from the hotel they were staying at and drive them to the function at the Hyde Park Hotel. My sister was with me.
I drove a small Honda Civic at the time. When these 2 hulking blokes got into the rear seats of my car, I swear the front wheels lifted off the ground.

The drive to the hotel was hilarious- better comedians than Abbott & Costello, or for younger folks Hamish & Andy. The bounced off each other with their ad lib humour.

When we got to the hotel, Cowboy got out of my car quite easily & headed off inside immediately. Poor Roberts was not so flexible as he’d not long had a hip operation. He was carrying an armful of St Kilda ties. So he tossed them over to me in the front seat. The ties were for all the ex-saints players who now lived in Western Australia (I think there were 28 at the function).

My sister had alighted from the passenger side. Neil says to her: “hey darls, can you help me get out? Will you lift my legs and swing them out for me?” Then she had to help lift him up out of the car, and he had to lean on her for a few yards until he could walk properly by himself.

Helen said later how sad she was to see her heartthrob of over 50 plus years ago, reduced to such banged up old man😪
Actually we both said how disappointing it was - these 2 fit young footballers of days gone bye , had let themselves go to seed. Whilst we two females, her the same age as Coco & me around Cowboys age were fit & firing on all cylinders.

Actually Neil hadn’t moved with the times. Whilst hewas very funny with the stories he told, I’ve never heard such, sexist & racist jokes told at a function with mixed sexes, and believe me I’ve been to many a ‘sportsman’s function’.

I can recall when Helen first started work in the mid 1950’s - with her first pay packet - she bought our two brothers Saints footy jumpers. Ofcourse, one jumper had the number 10 on the back.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I know that a lot of supporters feel aggrieved by Battle's decision to play for Hawthorn, but look at it this way: is he any different to anyone else in professions, whether it be sport or business, science, academia???

In today's world people change jobs all the time, for all sorts of reasons, often for more money or the opportunity to make the big time in their field of expertise.

Expressing anger towards Battle because supporters feel he should have stayed at Moorabbin is a waste of emotional energy, it's been going on since 1964 when Ron Barassi, a 6 time premiership player with Melbourne shocked the footy world when he accepted an offer to captain-coach Carlton.

It's also likely that there is not a single St Kilda player who will begrudge Battle leaving, nor will it affect their friendship when he plays for the Hawks. And as I said earlier, I wouldn't mind betting that Arie Schoenmaker will be delighted that this should open the door for him to take up Battle's spot at CHB next year!!

"Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.."

Albert Camus (1913-1960) French philospher
D.B.Cooper
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 5:38pm
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 30 Aug 2024 4:07pm He's no Neil Roberts!
Definitely not magnifisaint . I’ll tell you a little story about the great Neil Roberts.

My older sister Helen adored Coco Roberts when she was a teenager. Her side of our bedroom walls, was full of pictures of Neil Roberts. Roberts was her heart throb ❤️‍🔥

A number of years back, when Grant Thomas was coach. GT was so good at bringing over injured players and ex-players to the functions the Western Saints supporter group held before the Saints Freo or Eagles games.

Neil Roberts & Kevin Neale were to be the guest speakers at the function. I had to pick Coco & Cowboy from the hotel they were staying at and drive them to the function at the Hyde Park Hotel. My sister was with me.
I drove a small Honda Civic at the time. When these 2 hulking blokes got into the rear seats of my car, I swear the front wheels lifted off the ground.

The drive to the hotel was hilarious- better comedians than Abbott & Costello, or for younger folks Hamish & Andy. The bounced off each other with their ad lib humour.

When we got to the hotel, Cowboy got out of my car quite easily & headed off inside immediately. Poor Roberts was not so flexible as he’d not long had a hip operation. He was carrying an armful of St Kilda ties. So he tossed them over to me in the front seat. The ties were for all the ex-saints players who now lived in Western Australia (I think there were 28 at the function).

My sister had alighted from the passenger side. Neil says to her: “hey darls, can you help me get out? Will you lift my legs and swing them out for me?” Then she had to help lift him up out of the car, and he had to lean on her for a few yards until he could walk properly by himself.

Helen said later how sad she was to see her heartthrob of over 50 plus years ago, reduced to such banged up old man😪
Actually we both said how disappointing it was - these 2 fit young footballers of days gone bye , had let themselves go to seed. Whilst we two females, her the same age as Coco & me around Cowboys age were fit & firing on all cylinders.

Actually Neil hadn’t moved with the times. Whilst hewas very funny with the stories he told, I’ve never heard such, sexist & racist jokes told at a function with mixed sexes, and believe me I’ve been to many a ‘sportsman’s function’.

I can recall when Helen first started work in the mid 1950’s - with her first pay packet - she bought our two brothers Saints footy jumpers. Ofcourse, one jumper had the number 10 on the back.
Love it, you recite a wonderful story loris.
I bet the two old boys still thought the wild red head driving them that day was ‘a bit of alright’ 😉

I think Coco kept in pretty good shape until early 2000’s and a nasty car accident with Ronald Dale.

Cowboy on the other hand 😂

Great story and thanks for sharing.

Lastly, wasn’t RogerWA from the forum early days one of your brothers?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!