Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The JO would be transformative for us. And i dont think the players would give stuff whether its Ian Johnson or the Junction.
Theyd love to be training and working there. Wed be the employer of choice for footy players and coaches Australia wide.
And our current sponsorship situation is dire. It can only improve.

Players don't give a stuff where they train otherwise why did they all just sign up for us and why would Dal, Stanley and BJ leave to train miles from where they live. Secondly they don't get a choice when first drafted so we could train in Mildura and they still have to play with us. I cant imagine any player saying to themselves I would love to play at the Saints because they train in St Kilda. They may say I would love to play with the Saints because the facilities are the best or they are a promising team but it will never be because of the suburb we train in.
Exactly my point P66, as I said, if that was case why aren't players queuing to play for Richmond and hasn't being at Punt Road and haven't they been a booming success for the last 30 years.
Seems the majority of players are trying to get to Hawthorn and Geelong who have won 6 of the last 8 premierships.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The JO would be transformative for us. And i dont think the players would give stuff whether its Ian Johnson or the Junction.
Theyd love to be training and working there. Wed be the employer of choice for footy players and coaches Australia wide.

Players don't give a stuff where they train otherwise why did they all just sign up for us and why would Dal, Stanley and BJ leave to train miles from where they live. Secondly they don't get a choice when first drafted so we could train in Mildura and they still have to play with us. I cant imagine any player saying to themselves I would love to play at the Saints because they train in St Kilda. They may say I would love to play with the Saints because the facilities are the best or they are a promising team but it will never be because of the suburb we train in.
Exactly my point P66, as I said, if that was case why aren't players queuing to play for Richmond and hasn't being at Punt Road and haven't they been a booming success for the last 30 years.
Seems the majority of players are trying to get to Hawthorn and Geelong who have won 6 of the last 8 premierships.
Players can MOVE HOUSE!
Do you think players would like to play for an Alice Springs side? Mt Isa? You seem to suggest they wouldnt mind it. Thats your logis ('players dont care where they train').

Of course they care where they train/work. Its ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Doesn't even need addressing. As do coaching staff.

If you think the status quo with our dwindling supporter base and membership and disgraceful sponsorship is ok you have rocks in your head.

The reality is you are dead scared of change and deep down you like the saints small, s*** and suburban because it suits you and you dont want to seem them grow beyond your little sand-pit.

And Ill back Gillon McClachlans view of the JO over yours .

Find me one person with any idea and or knowledge of the footy industry who thinks Seaford is a good idea. Just ONE. (And Archie Fraser doesnt count).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Players can MOVE HOUSE!
Do you think players would like to play for an Alice Springs side? Mt Isa? You seem to suggest they wouldnt mind it. Thats your logis ('players dont care where they train').

Of course they care where they train/work. Its ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Doesn't even need addressing. As do coaching staff.

If you think the status quo with our dwindling supporter base and membership and disgraceful sponsorship is ok you have rocks in your head.

The reality is you are dead scared of change and deep down you like the saints small, s*** and suburban because it suits you and you dont want to seem them grow beyond your little sand-pit.

Find me one person with any idea and or knowledge of the footy industry who thinks Seaford is a good idea. Just ONE. (And Archie Fraser doesnt count).
Alice Springs? We are talking about Melbourne sides or even Geelong so please make sense. And how the hell do you know he is scared of change. Emotive crap based on a very poor argument. And what has McClauchlan got to do with this. No one is even saying don't move there, what some are saying though is people saying this will mean players will flock to us are talking crap with a capital failure.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Russell's take
http://www.sen.com.au/news/untangling-t ... on-project
If you want to throw in yet another puzzling item – Martin Foley the local ALP member is listed on the state parliamentary website as being a St Kilda fan, yet he is apparently against the club returning to the suburb it is named after. Clearly he wasn’t wearing his Saints’ hat (or scarf) when he voiced that opinion!

Cricket Victoria would probably prefer that there isn’t a footy element involved at all, but that may be needed to get the whole thing over the line. And those of us with a good knowledge of history are aware that cricket (in the form of St Kilda Cricket Club) screwed over the football club in the old days and that was the reason they moved to Moorabbin 50 years ago.

We shouldn’t be surprised that one party announces a big contribution to a project then the opponent follows suit. As one commentator observed the response is always “we’ll put in more” or “well put in a bit less, but do it better”.

With all of these proposals the expected contributions of the AFL and the federal Coalition Government remain unspecified.

If Labor gets in and doesn’t include St Kilda Football Cub in its plans, the AFL would have no reason to contribute a dollar. And with the federal government tightening the purse strings on everything in sight, would they put in any cash to a sporting development under either of the state parties?

If that’s the case we may have to pass around one of the hats that everyone has been wearing, and talking through

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not endorsing any political party but if you want the Junction to proceed at a quicker rate, you'd want The Libs to win. Then the private investors will move in. All part of the master plan. I know many of you ( apart from Dave !! ) don't believe it but the footy club IS part of the plans. The election result will either speed it up or slow it down.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I'm not endorsing any political party but if you want the Junction to proceed at a quicker rate, you'd want The Libs to win. Then the private investors will move in. All part of the master plan. I know many of you ( apart from Dave !! ) don't believe it but the footy club IS part of the plans. The election result will either speed it up or slow it down.
so if it slows down ..or stalls completely..we can blame the supporters who voted for the clueless greens or the loony left.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I'm not endorsing any political party but if you want the Junction to proceed at a quicker rate, you'd want The Libs to win. Then the private investors will move in. All part of the master plan. I know many of you ( apart from Dave !! ) don't believe it but the footy club IS part of the plans. The election result will either speed it up or slow it down.

Well Labor will get in so you can forget the Libs. And even if we do end up there under Labor we will never play there. I don't think some people get the point of this ground is to give CV their own ground. Why would they then allow a footy side to basically take over and investors would need to put in 200 million to get it to AFL footy standard and even then the ground would never hold more than 15K so what games does that suit especially if we finally come good. The best we can hope for is equal rights to be facilities than we have at Seaford and a training ground over the road.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anyone with half a brain or more would vote for the Libs.

Unless you want to vote for a party that thinks getting rid of EW link contract at a cost of a billion dollars is wise.

Then again, that's chicken feed compared to the billions wasted on desal :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Unless you want to vote for a party that thinks getting rid of EW link contract at a cost of a billion dollars is wise.
No need to pay the billion dollars. Just legislate to wipe the contract out. Governments have done it before, it's not ideal but it's the right outcome for a project without a shadow of a business case. If I'd presented a project like that to my stakeholders I'd be out on my arse too.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Anyone with half a brain or more would vote for the Libs.
I believe it is mandatory to only have half a brain if voting for the Libs
saintspremiers wrote:Then again, that's chicken feed compared to the billions wasted on desal :lol:
Oh look a Hun reader :roll:

Tory cheersquad in full panic mode, trying to scare the typical Hun idiot.

As bergholt points out it is total BS. but saintspremiers fell for it hook line and sinker.

Not suprising.

You are garbage - Enough said
stinger
Saintsational Legend

keep the politics for where the riff raff post... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saintspremiers wrote:
Anyone with half a brain or more would vote for the Libs.

Unless you want to vote for a party that thinks getting rid of EW link contract at a cost of a billion dollars is wise.

Then again, that's chicken feed compared to the billions wasted on desal :lol:
Hi SP, that 'break' fee is only because the current government went against all the conventions of a caretaker government and signed the contracts in the lead up to an election. :evil: That deceit and cynicism is the reason for any 'break' fees, and should be billed not to Victorian people, but to the (once were) Liberal Party... or simply care of Rupert Murdoch to cut out the intermediaries. :P

Btw, this 'fantastic' scheme... they still haven't released the figures for the business case... including their own commissioned figures that showed it didn't add up... :shock: not to mention ConnectEast (managers of EastLink) who said they weren't interested because the business case didn't stack up... :shock:

Hi Sting, in an earlier thread you commented on the Groovy Greens being an impediment to us returning home to our JO. Well, I checked with 'em last night. No impediment at all. It would be a budget item, requiring no actual legislation through parliament (unless Lindasy is planning a land grab :wink: )... so the Groovy Greens neither have, nor need to have, a position on it.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saints homeward bound!!

A vote for the Greens would be an impediment to me being able to watch the Saints playing at the JO.

Or any other venue for that matter, as upon realizing what I had done I'd simply have to check myself in to the nearest Psychiatric facility for an indefinite period!
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Wed 26 Nov 2014 10:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

How can a club like St Broke contemplate going to yet another training venue when they don't know how much this one will cost them, initially and ongoing, unless, the
AFL have dangled a carrot.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Dr Spaceman wrote:A vote for the Greens would be an impediment to me being able to watch the Saints playing at the JO.

Or any other venue for that matter, as upon realizing what I had done I'd simply have to check myself in to the nearest Psychiatric facility for an indefinite period! Image
Not a problem, Doc.

The Groovy Greens have a fantastic caring mental health policy set. (And should the shock of the above realisation cause you to faint and hit your head, still don't worry, their disability care is top notch too.) :wink:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Tuggers have just posted their tenth straight profit.

Richmond is a popular and desirable suburb, but it doesn't come close in the cool stakes to Funky Town. 8-)

What could our wild-child maverick club do with a venue that not only gets all that Punt Road-esque volume of traffic, but,
tourists (local and international),
up to 700K peeps rocking-up to rock-on at the St Kilda Festival,
250K peeps to the GP... ay-and... with international TV coverage...
what could that make signage rights for a potential Saintas' sponsor worth...? 8-) 8-) 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Tuggers have just posted their tenth straight profit.

Richmond is a popular and desirable suburb, but it doesn't come close in the cool stakes to Funky Town. 8-)

What could our wild-child maverick club do with a venue that not only gets all that Punt Road-esque volume of traffic, but,
tourists (local and international),
up to 700K peeps rocking-up to rock-on at the St Kilda Festival,
250K peeps to the GP... ay-and... with international TV coverage...
what could that make signage rights for a potential Saintas' sponsor worth...? 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dave they are footy clubs not suburbs. How about facts for a change instead of stuff that no one can understand.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Players can MOVE HOUSE!

Alice Springs? We are talking about Melbourne sides or even Geelong so please make sense. And how the hell do you know he is scared of change. Emotive crap based on a very poor argument. And what has McClauchlan got to do with this. No one is even saying don't move there, what some are saying though is people saying this will mean players will flock to us are talking crap with a capital failure.
Isn't Seaford about the same distance from St Kilda as Alice Springs.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Players can MOVE HOUSE!

So it does matter?
one minute you are adamant it doesnt matter where players train now you are watering down your statement and providing geographic parameters. which one is it? does it matter or not? clearly you think it does.

either way - i cannot possible fathom how anyone can argue for that statuts quo and just hope we will turn it all around. hope isnt a strategy.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I can see it now in Fitzroy street, will I spend my money with this ice dealer, or wait, look the St.Kilda footy club is back, I'll run over there with all these other 1,000's of people to buy something.
As for the Grand Prix, I'm sure they will take the international television coverage off the race to show some signs of a team no one has heard of outside of this country.
I bet Bill gates is already negotiating a massive sponsorship deal because he heard we are going back to the junction.
But then Dave woke up and re joined the real world.
By the way, how many of these thousands of members we are going to gain from moving to the Junction will keep renewing their membership if we don't have any on field success?
Sadly they will drop off as quickly as they signed on.
Drive past Waverley, not to many advertisements from Hawthorn's sponsors on the Monash, but hey when you win premierships, you don't need billboards.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I can see it now in Fitzroy street, will I spend my money with this ice dealer, or wait, look the St.Kilda footy club is back, I'll run over there with all these other 1,000's of people to buy something.
As for the Grand Prix, I'm sure they will take the international television coverage off the race to show some signs of a team no one has heard of outside of this country.
I bet Bill gates is already negotiating a massive sponsorship deal because he heard we are going back to the junction.
But then Dave woke up and re joined the real world.
By the way, how many of these thousands of members we are going to gain from moving to the Junction will keep renewing their membership if we don't have any on field success?
Sadly they will drop off as quickly as they signed on.
Drive past Waverley, not to many advertisements from Hawthorn's sponsors on the Monash, but hey when you win premierships, you don't need billboards.

If you could tell a sponsor that your logo will be on the junction side of the oval where half of melbourne funnels through every day, it's going to be a very attractive thing.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

180,000+ vehicles use the Monash daily, or you can just put it up above St.Kilda junction, those options would be much more attractive than facing Fitzroy Street. Don't forget Cricket Victoria has the Junction Oval and their sponsors will take priority over ours.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Players can MOVE HOUSE!

So it does matter?
one minute you are adamant it doesnt matter where players train now you are watering down your statement and providing geographic parameters. which one is it? does it matter or not? clearly you think it does.

either way - i cannot possible fathom how anyone can argue for that statuts quo and just hope we will turn it all around. hope isnt a strategy.
What a ridiculous comment. Players cant train in Alice springs and live in Brighton but they can train at Tullamarine or seaford and live in Brighton.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:180,000+ vehicles use the Monash daily, or you can just put it up above St.Kilda junction, those options would be much more attractive than facing Fitzroy Street. Don't forget Cricket Victoria has the Junction Oval and their sponsors will take priority over ours.

I didn't realise there was an option of training on the Monash freeway or on St Kilda road. We need more big thinkers like you at the club. :)

Seriously though go look at Seaford it has fallen down signage, looks like an under 9s facility, browned off turf all year round and then the only side that faces the freeway needs to be seen from the rear vision mirror. The access is down a suburban street with kindergartens and stuff. It's so ammo it makes me want to go down and bully the club. I have an anywhere but Seaford attitude.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:180,000+ vehicles use the Monash daily, or you can just put it up above St.Kilda junction, those options would be much more attractive than facing Fitzroy Street. Don't forget Cricket Victoria has the Junction Oval and their sponsors will take priority over ours.

I didn't realise there was an option of training on the Monash freeway or on St Kilda road. We need more big thinkers like you at the club. :)

Seriously though go look at Seaford it has fallen down signage, looks like an under 9s facility, browned off turf all year round and then the only side that faces the freeway needs to be seen from the rear vision mirror. The access is down a suburban street with kindergartens and stuff. It's so ammo it makes me want to go down and bully the club. I have an anywhere but Seaford attitude.

That isn't the suburb though, that's the pathetic way we are looking after it. Who says the same thing wont happen over the road from the junction and remember we probably wont be able to get the main signage at the JO.