Crab watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crab watch

On the topic of courage…

Someone posted a story of here of a play where they alleged that in a big moment of a big game:

Billings was leading a team mate + opponent to the loose ball and slowed down to let them both over take him so that he could get an easy handball from his team mate who would have worn the tackle.
Something happened that resulted in it all being a ball up.

I can’t remember the specifics of the story. When/who etc. If that person is reading… I’d love to get the exact details

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 7:04pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 5:47pm If you're playing at this level you are expected to cop bruises and hits and hold the footy or try and break tackles instead of releasing the footy to green grass whenever there's heat.

He was allowed to get away with it for too long from his biggest backer in Alan Richardson. Who knows...if Cho wasn't at Melbourne, maybe they wouldn't have taken him.

We've seen now that Melbourne have decided he's a liability in the senior squad.

He's expected to execute under pressure and he's expected to make good decisions under pressure.
Not to handball blindly to green grass (which incidentally is what a kot of Saints players did in the wet on Saturday against Adelaide)

Whether JB was paid $150k or $600k isn't really the issue...but you can forgive Darcy Wilson or Shoey or other 1st or 2nd year players ... can't accept it from senior players who have been in the system more than 5-6 years
Yes, it's a developing skill hand balling to green grass when a player is surrounded and under high pressure. Used a lot more now in games to try to get the ball in the open and hopefully to a teammate. I have noticed that in particular Geelong do it very well, also Brisbane. Check it out Scolls, but you'll have to watch the whole the game, not just the bits where your perception bias kicks in.

JB is not only a good AFL footballer (160+ games) hampered lately by injuries, but is by your description, an innovator as well.
Geelong have a very good football department. There's no arguments there. They adapt to rule changes very well.

No doubt the AFL wants less stoppages.

You're looking at something JB did when the rules for holding the ball were different. At that time all umpires were more lenient on prior opportunity. It's only really last year and this year that the AFL have changed.

3 or 4 or 5 years ago all players would make sure they didn't cough up the footy when they were outnumbered. Back then...only squibs would release the ball to green grass to avoid physical contact

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I find it ridiculous that some experts are insisting that an AFL Level footballer is soft?!

How the fk do you get to that level - if you’re soft?

I would bet my bottom dollar that those labelling JB or any others soft - would be as weak as piss on a footy field!

FFS - it’s not like we have Lenny Hayes types typing away on a keyboard having a go at real footballers

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 7:29pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 5:47pm If you're playing at this level you are expected to cop bruises and hits and hold the footy or try and break tackles instead of releasing the footy to green grass whenever there's heat.

He was allowed to get away with it for too long from his biggest backer in Alan Richardson. Who knows...if Cho wasn't at Melbourne, maybe they wouldn't have taken him.

We've seen now that Melbourne have decided he's a liability in the senior squad.

He's expected to execute under pressure and he's expected to make good decisions under pressure.
Not to handball blindly to green grass (which incidentally is what a kot of Saints players did in the wet on Saturday against Adelaide)

Whether JB was paid $150k or $600k isn't really the issue...but you can forgive Darcy Wilson or Shoey or other 1st or 2nd year players ... can't accept it from senior players who have been in the system more than 5-6 years
Yes, it's a developing skill hand balling to green grass when a player is surrounded and under high pressure. Used a lot more now in games to try to get the ball in the open and hopefully to a teammate. I have noticed that in particular Geelong do it very well, also Brisbane. Check it out Scolls, but you'll have to watch the whole the game, not just the bits where your perception bias kicks in.

JB is not only a good AFL footballer (160+ games) hampered lately by injuries, but is by your description, an innovator as well.
Geelong have a very good football department. There's no arguments there. They adapt to rule changes very well.

You're looking at something JB did when the rules for holding the ball were different. At that time all umpires were more lenient on prior opportunity. It's only really last year and this year that the AFL have changed.

3 or 4 or 5 years ago all players would make sure they didn't cough up the footy when they were outnumbered. Back then...only squibs would release the ball to green grass to avoid physical contact
Show us a few vids of JB hand balling to green grass Scolls. You're good at that. I reckon there would be plenty of other players you could show doing that, say 3-5 years ago. I guess a couple of grass handballs has just stuck in your mind, as you are prone to cherry pick incidents, neglecting the whole picture.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 7:41pm
I would bet my bottom dollar that those labelling JB or any others soft - would be as weak as piss on a footy field!
That's a losing bet.

You don't bet much do you?

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 7:26pm On the topic of courage…

Someone posted a story of here of a play where they alleged that in a big moment of a big game:

Billings was leading a team mate + opponent to the loose ball and slowed down to let them both over take him so that he could get an easy handball from his team mate who would have worn the tackle.
Something happened that resulted in it all being a ball up.

I can’t remember the specifics of the story. When/who etc. If that person is reading… I’d love to get the exact details
Sounds like something an outside receiver type player would do. Team ethic - get the ball to a good disposer. Brad Hill often does that, better him getting the ball via a handball than say a Zac Jones.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 8:05pm

Show us a few vids of JB hand balling to green grass Scolls. You're good at that. I reckon there would be plenty of other players you could show doing that, say 3-5 years ago. I guess a couple of grass handballs has just stuck in your mind, as you are prone to cherry pick incidents, neglecting the whole picture.
It's hilarious reading your posts (plural...as in you and other posters defending JB's toughness and or JB's effectiveness as a footballer)

What is that you don't get? Ross Lyon and match committee weren't interested in retaining him on our list - regardless of whether he was fully fit or could remain fully fit.

Melbourne have dropped him from their side now that other options are available.

If....if he doesn't get another game this year, I think you'll get the picture

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 8:10pm
takeaway wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 8:05pm

It's hilarious reading your posts (plural...as in you and other posters defending JB's toughness and or JB's effectiveness as a footballer)

What is that you don't get? Ross Lyon and match committee weren't interested in retaining him on our list - regardless of whether he was fully fit or could remain fully fit.

Melbourne have dropped him from their side now that other options are available.

If....if he doesn't get another game this year, I think you'll get the picture
Never said JB was a ruff-tuff player like your idol Benny Long, but you need both. JB has played 10 or so games for Dees this year, no? Pretty good effort after 3 years of lengthy interruptions. True, he hasn't reached the level of pre injury, I hope he does.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

My idol 😂😂😂

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Long has smoked him with impact

King Max
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 7:41pm I find it ridiculous that some experts are insisting that an AFL Level footballer is soft?!

How the fk do you get to that level - if you’re soft?

FFS - it’s not like we have Lenny Hayes types typing away on a keyboard having a go at real footballers
You understand that people are comparing him to other AFL players, not the general populace..

I’m one of the toughest in my book club but that doesn’t mean I’m tough enough to play AFL.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 8:38pm Long has smoked him with impact
Which game?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

All of them

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 9:07pmAll of them
All of what?
I know Long has smoked quite a few players with impact in his time, and consequently served suspensions, but what's that got to do with JB?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We’re talking about what they provide right now to their teams. Not what happened 5 years ago

Ben Long vs Jack Billings for current season. Billings gets more touches but Ben’s goals and goal assists are elite.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

Billings has a higher AFL fantasy price. Probably based on previous seasons and potential rather than current output.

Interestingly, Billings is much lower for Supercoach value

Just goes to show the ‘fantasy’ surrounding Billings

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Nah... again...I shouldn't be having a dig at a bloke who wore the jumper and who I cheered on for so long. I've never said he couldn't play the game

I just don't want him to succeed now that he's left the club. I think he made some of us feel this way when his manager was shopping him around a couple of days before we were due to play a final

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 9:33pm We’re talking about what they provide right now to their teams. Not what happened 5 years ago

Ben Long vs Jack Billings for current season. Billings gets more touches but Ben’s goals and goal assists are elite.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

Billings has a higher AFL fantasy price. Probably based on previous seasons and potential rather than current output.

Interestingly, Billings is much lower for Supercoach value

Just goes to show the ‘fantasy’ surrounding Billings
No idea what "fantasy" and "supercoach" are. What do they mean? You are the one who raised the 3-5 years or so ago issues. Suddenly you revert to the current year. :?:
You are all over the shop, and stats aren't helping you as usual. They don't even play the same position/role.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 10:31pm
No idea what "fantasy" and "supercoach" are.
You have no idea in general :mrgreen:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d like to compare a bigger sample size than just half a season

Although I have looked at that comparison between Billings a high half forward and Long a small forward and the numbers are pretty much bang on what you’d expect even though both are on the lower side.

I’d say Long has had a better year this year

I’d say Billings has had a much better career and is a better player - his body is cooked, once your back goes - you never really get back to your best.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Scollop

You’re tougher than JB now are you? Please?!

On Saturday JB played VFL - state league football
Had 29 touches, 6 clearances, 4 tackles and 2 goals

Where did you play and how’d you go?!

Seriously

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 11:54pm Scollop

Seriously
Seriously

What the f*** are you on about?

I never said I was tougher than JB, so why are you comparing him with me? Should we organise a few rounds of boxing maybe?
King Max wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 8:43pm
You understand that people are comparing him to other AFL players, not the general populace..

I’m one of the toughest in my book club but that doesn’t mean I’m tough enough to play AFL.
I also never said that he was a totally useless AFL player. I just gave my opinion on him and his weaknesses.

You're allowed to criticise players but you don't like anyone else doing it. Just move on

King Max
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2024 12:40am
B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 11:54pm Scollop

Seriously
Seriously

What the f*** are you on about?

I never said I was tougher than JB, so why are you comparing him with me? Should we organise a few rounds of boxing maybe?
King Max wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 8:43pm

I also never said that he was a totally useless AFL player. I just gave my opinion on him and his weaknesses.

You're allowed to criticise players but you don't like anyone else doing it. Just move on
I'm not sure why you're quoting me here. You're comments don't relate to what I've written.

I was disagreeing with BM. In essence I was saying, some players are harder than others, and you don't need to be Lenny Hayes to be able to comment.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I liked your answer King Max.

I know you were disagreeing with B.M.

I thought I’d quote it again

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 15 Jul 2024 11:48pm

I’d say Billings has had a much better career and is a better player - his body is cooked, once your back goes - you never really get back to your best.
Very generalised statement. Sam Walsh for instance seems to have come back okay this year. BM, you have been defending Billings now for three or four years, Keep telling us that he’s a good AFL footballer and that he’s better than anyone typing on here. First up every AFL footballer is better than anyone on here. So what? everything is relative. you keep quoting Billings’ stats but at the end of the day we all have eyes. Billings career overall has been disappointing. He doesn’t or didn’t have the general hardness that is required to play at the level. He is about as tough as Brad Hill. The difference is Brad Hill has elite skills and elite running ability both in speed and endurance

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Billings is far from soft, I saw him put his head over the ball and run back with the flight plenty of times.

Career high 11 tackles in a game too.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.