Josh Bruce to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pundit
Club Player

Re: Josh Bruce to be traded?

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 8:12pm I never realised StK was such a one man side.

So if Bruce stays and does his knee at the beginning of the next season, we are stuffed? I would hope not but by all accounts the impending doom of the loss of Bruce seems bigger than when Plugger & Hall both left for Sydney.

Apologies if I struggle to accept this. As much as Marshall was an accidental ruckman, Bruce was an accidental key forward, an average one but a better forward than back. Marshall will continue to become an excellent ruckman and may become an even greater CHF / Ruck. Bruce has peaked and is replaceable in my opinion. If he isn't then St Kilda is in worse shape than anyone cares to admit.

We have pick #5 and two round 4 selections. We future sold draft picks when we didn't need to. Why do Sydney have our round 2 pick again?

There is a lot of panic about losing Bruce & Steven but how do we magically improve our list, draft position, trade options & keep them?

Surely Hill & the packet of Doritos we get for Newnes is all we need for 2020.
Structure is why Bruce is important, sure if Paddy is a chance of making it back then maybe you can trade Bruce out but only if it brings us a quality mid, King is a massive gamble at this stage and is a while off holding down a key forward position. And have some respect re the Doritos comment.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Pundit wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 8:21pm Structure is why Bruce is important, sure if Paddy is a chance of making it back then maybe you can trade Bruce out but only if it brings us a quality mid, King is a massive gamble at this stage and is a while off holding down a key forward position. And have some respect re the Doritos comment.
I understand structure, it's the same structure we've had for a decade, our problem is how the ball is moved into that structure and what happens once the ball is actually in that structure.

Respect is why we got Doritos and not Home Brand.

I'm guessing you've taken up the fight on an actual thread calling him Jill.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

A decade?

For the best part of this decade, Nick R has been our #1 Key Forward.

Jack Newnes nickname is Jill btw

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it the same structure? We've had key forwards of varying quality since 66. I'm not sure losing Bruce is the straw to finally break the club. I'm confident that structurally Battle can step up to lead and crash packs if that is what you believe to be important. Marshall can also play that role if and when required.

Cheers about Newnes' nickname, probably won't help with what we get for him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 8:12pm I never realised StK was such a one man side.

So if Bruce stays and does his knee at the beginning of the next season, we are stuffed? I would hope not but by all accounts the impending doom of the loss of Bruce seems bigger than when Plugger & Hall both left for Sydney.

Apologies if I struggle to accept this. As much as Marshall was an accidental ruckman, Bruce was an accidental key forward, an average one but a better forward than back. Marshall will continue to become an excellent ruckman and may become an even greater CHF / Ruck. Bruce has peaked and is replaceable in my opinion. If he isn't then St Kilda is in worse shape than anyone cares to admit.

We have pick #5 and two round 4 selections. We future sold draft picks when we didn't need to. Why do Sydney have our round 2 pick again?

There is a lot of panic about losing Bruce & Steven but how do we magically improve our list, draft position, trade options & keep them?

Good post.

Bruce is a good player but the list needs change. Zero finals in 8 years says so.

He might be the unfortunate one to leave. Definitely not untradable.

Pundit
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 2:20am

Good post.

Bruce is a good player but the list needs change. Zero finals in 8 years says so.

He might be the unfortunate one to leave. Definitely not untradable.
Terrible post, amateurish post at best and lacks football knowledge, the point about delivery is well known, hell even an auskicker knows it so why carry on like the club and recruiters aren't doing something about it, is it not why Hanners was bought in last year and why Hill is coming and why quality midfielders is the number one priority not to mention some of our homegrown mids will be better with types around them in the next few years. But how useful will that be if they've got nobody to kick it to in the forward line. Just dumb to think a porcelain Giraffe in King will be a ready made replacement for Bruce. King could be the biggest fail of the century, we just don't know how he is going to turn out and surely you want some big mature and experienced players around him to teach him his craft. dumbest move by the club if they trade king. bigger than dumbest.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Are we trading King?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Pundit
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 8:19am Are we trading King?
If Paddy can get on top of his concussion we might as well, he will be superfluous to needs and to be honest I think the club is copying the GWS strategy of stockpiling talent in certain areas of the ground for future "needs" trading. Ironically everyone arguing why the attachment to Bruce, at least we have seen what Bruce can do, King hasn't even played one game of AFL yet.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Pundit wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:13am
If Paddy can get on top of his concussion we might as well, he will be superfluous to needs and to be honest I think the club is copying the GWS strategy of stockpiling talent in certain areas of the ground for future "needs" trading. Ironically everyone arguing why the attachment to Bruce, at least we have seen what Bruce can do, King hasn't even played one game of AFL yet.
So ok to trade King a 19yo w invested pick 4 into but not ok to trade Bruce?

:shock:

Pundit
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:25am
Pundit wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 9:13am
So ok to trade King a 19yo w invested pick 4 into but not ok to trade Bruce?

:shock:
to trade either of them is madness and is my point :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well Bruce is on 99 games. So no future Father Son there either.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 7:32pm Well Bruce is on 99 games. So no future Father Son there either.
father and sons don't come into calculations at my time in life :)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What matters is what we gain, for what we give up.

Given the Dogs list them gaining Brice and Keath is a fantastic fit for them and will make them a very well balanced team.

Question for St Kilda will be will is whether what we gain for Bruce improves us or not?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Other question is with Bruce is did he jump, or was he pushed?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 9:36pm Other question is with Bruce is did he jump, or was he pushed?

50/50 I reckon.

And our push would have just been as gentle as not offering a decent extension. Rather than actually wanting him out.

Bit of a Dal Santo feel around it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

An interesting scenario has arisen. Two worlds colliding.

St Kilda has a history of trading key forwards and the club finding its way into the finals.

The Bulldogs have a history of chasing key forwards and going no where with them, their careers stalling.

The exception being Tom Boyd whose one good game happened to be as a makeshift ruck in a GF. Bruce has been groomed as a makeshift ruckman.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:00am An interesting scenario has arisen. Two worlds colliding.

St Kilda has a history of trading key forwards and the club finding its way into the finals.
Though Loewe and Roo also both stayed and played in GF's with the Saints.

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:00am The Bulldogs have a history of chasing key forwards and going no where with them, their careers stalling.

The exception being Tom Boyd whose one good game happened to be as a makeshift ruck in a GF.
Though that one good game was a Grand Final win after an age in the wildnerness.
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:00am Bruce has been groomed as a makeshift ruckman.
I think even Bruce would admit that "makeshift" is even stretching it a bit ;)

Anyway the test for Bruce going, will be what we gain back in return and then also importantly what we do with any picks gained.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 1:32am
I think even Bruce would admit that "makeshift" is even stretching it a bit ;)
I don't think he would, fair enough when a player finds themselves in a ruck contest around the ground but when they take centre bounces that player is makeshift if he's not a real ruck.

Even our supporters hating the idea of Ryder use Bruce's "ruckwork" as a reason 😉

Agree that it's what we do with the "pieces of silver" we get for Bruce (& Steven if / when he goes) that counts.

I know we need to change things up because we are a bottom six team as it stands - I have no issue with either being traded in an effort to inject life into, and improve, our list.

I trust Allen, Ratten, Gallagher & Lethlean (last two not so much) to get the best deals for these two. Let's face it, I have no choice.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I honestly don't care...the way the club has gone the last 8 yrs I couldn't give a s***. Marshall, Clarke, Membrey, King......trade the rest....roll the dice. We can't do any worse.

I'm looking forward to 20 more now than in a long time. This forum has been cleaned out...good times.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Yeah, throw them all - including our recruiters (especially our recruiters?) - to the dogs/wolves.

Let them enjoy the scraps. :wink:

Vazelos
Club Player

People questioning King may need to see what his brother did at Gold Coast at times and he will be a year older hitting 20 with a full pre season under his belt.. don’t worry about King he is the real deal and will be a head ache for opposition coaches from day 1.
Marshall/ Ryder combination up Forward also replaces Bruce departure and we now can have a decent 3 tall forward line with Membrey playing on a 3 Rd backman and could do some damage.
Brice is at his peak with currency it’s a good move.
Trading players like Newnes and McKenzie now is also the right time both won’t be worth anything in a year when Ratten hardly plays them.
He is a big decision to make on Steven but I suspect that will be determined by Geelong and how realistic they are.... offer a 4 th round tell them to get stuffed.... a 2 nd round and he can go...
I suspect Jack will be motivated to play this year having one year left on big dollars... over half his money will be gone to the mother of his child now he is seperated and he has a few years left to consolidate financially he will he as hungry as ever to perform unless he is totally unwell mentally.
So if Cats are too cute make him stay..
We should get some picks out of Bruce Newnes and McKenzie even if Steven stays.
In 1 year we will know where we stand with Mc Cartin who will be out of contract and Roberton who will have 1 year left.
No doubt Ben King targeted next year and that will mean Brown ( who may leave this year) and maybe Carlisle will be moves on.
I think that will leave our midfield as the only main area to keep improving because we should be fine Forward and back..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:34am
Bruce is at his peak with currency it’s a good move.
Again, once we see what we actually get in return we will know how good or not a move it is.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

This will be a good test for the club on its bargaining and trade skills.
If they stuff this up then we can expect more of the same for the next 10 yrs.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:46pm
Vazelos wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 10:34am
Bruce is at his peak with currency it’s a good move.
Again, once we see what we actually get in return we will know how good or not a move it is.
And how we use it.

Stanley for #21 looked a win for us but we got no value out of the pick.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Sep 2019 9:50am
I trust Allen, Ratten, Gallagher & Lethlean (last two not so much) to get the best deals for these two. Let's face it, I have no choice.

Well I HOPE this is so. Trust is not a word that I would use though. Hope is more how I feel about them making the right decisions.

100% that we need to turnover our list somewhat.

My greatest concern is what is the underlying strategy?

Hill is a great pick-up and so no matter what the strategy, at his age and with his skills and role he makes a lot of sense.

If one can believe the media, we seem to have been chasing a lot of older players. As a seemingly re-building club you would think that Hill should be a top-ager. Perhaps Ryder is a true exception as our ruck stocks are so dire.

But Keath at 28 seems odd (Has since nominated the Dogs).

Sam Gray will be 28 next year, but we are chasing him.

This after gaining Hannas last year who will be 29 next season.

Chasing 28 year olds should mean that you are confident of winning a flag with 3 years, otherwise what is the point?

While I would love this to be so, is it realistic. I very much hope so. Personally though I would prefer that players like Hill at 26 years 2 months to be the top-age that we recruit at this trade/draft period with Ryder being the exception.

This give a 5/6 year window rather than just a 3 year one.

Also we seem to have gone hot and cold on many. So one again wonders do we have a firm strategy in mind?

At least for 2020 Marshall is going to have more forward time that I would have liked. I hope this turns out ok.