Zac Dawson rejects St Kilda's offer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lefty
Club Player

Bah Zac, always in it for the cash.

Just remember this club gave you a second chance, took you aboard, the coach played you above the loyal, fan favorite and imo better player Max Hudgeton, yet he cannot accept a pay cut for the club and what the club has done for him.

Farks around in NZ and this is what we get back.

I will forever remember the big hit on didak in the grand final, was mint, but that is all.

Imo, he's over-rated, looks nervous, gets killed in 1 on 1s.
If hes gone, start playing Simpkin.

If you're only playing for the money and not the club/heart, then go.

saints66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Not enough balls to sledge the guns eh...

Why waste time with bunnies...... The target I went for was their best... if it didnt work, it didnt.... they were likely to perform anyway....

if it did work... we were then on top.... when someone is equal or better than you and their teams performance is dependant upon them.... you find a way to unsettle them...and let them know you want them to fail under pressure....cricket should be a mental test

Glen McGrath/Shane Warne....just knocked over bunnies with ability...
They psychologically intimidated the opposition stars...
Players like Kallis, Lara, Atherton, Kirstin, Trescothick often faultered under the pump...against the aussies..they were tested beyond their skill

Steve Waugh was perhaps the best example
He riled up Curtley Ambrose in 95 as a way to get him from bowling impeccable length balls, and waste energy with a barrage of short balls which Waugh soaked up...rope-a-dope style...then made 200
And his 3 bouncer intro to Viv Richards in 86 followed by the beamer....he has said since...."stuff this bloke, I am sick of us being intimidated by him"

The best cricketers arent afraid of anyone, and will take on allcomers.....not just weak ones
You maybe right with some of those players but Brian Lara - hmmmmmmmmmmmI don't think so

From Wikipedia

In January 1993, Lara scored 277 versus Australia in Sydney. This, his maiden Test century in his fifth Test, was the turning point of the series as West Indies won the final two Tests to win the series 2–1.Lara went on to name his daughter Sydney after scoring 277 at SCG.

Lara's match-winning performance of 153 not out against Australia in Bridgetown, Barbados in 1999 has been rated by Wisden as the second best batting performance in the history of Test cricket, next only to the 270 runs scored by Sir Donald Bradman in The Ashes Test match of 1937.

etc etc ....................................

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Not enough balls to sledge the guns eh...

Why waste time with bunnies...... The target I went for was their best... if it didnt work, it didnt.... they were likely to perform anyway....

if it did work... we were then on top.... when someone is equal or better than you and their teams performance is dependant upon them.... you find a way to unsettle them...and let them know you want them to fail under pressure....cricket should be a mental test

Glen McGrath/Shane Warne....just knocked over bunnies with ability...
They psychologically intimidated the opposition stars...
Players like Kallis, Lara, Atherton, Kirstin, Trescothick often faultered under the pump...against the aussies..they were tested beyond their skill

Steve Waugh was perhaps the best example
He riled up Curtley Ambrose in 95 as a way to get him from bowling impeccable length balls, and waste energy with a barrage of short balls which Waugh soaked up...rope-a-dope style...then made 200
And his 3 bouncer intro to Viv Richards in 86 followed by the beamer....he has said since...."stuff this bloke, I am sick of us being intimidated by him"

The best cricketers arent afraid of anyone, and will take on allcomers.....not just weak ones
You maybe right with some of those players but Brian Lara - hmmmmmmmmmmmI don't think so

From Wikipedia

In January 1993, Lara scored 277 versus Australia in Sydney. This, his maiden Test century in his fifth Test, was the turning point of the series as West Indies won the final two Tests to win the series 2–1.Lara went on to name his daughter Sydney after scoring 277 at SCG.

Lara's match-winning performance of 153 not out against Australia in Bridgetown, Barbados in 1999 has been rated by Wisden as the second best batting performance in the history of Test cricket, next only to the 270 runs scored by Sir Donald Bradman in The Ashes Test match of 1937.

etc etc ....................................

Piffle BM.

Kallis is a proven gun. Lara is one of the best ever. Atherton is nowhere near their class. Trescothick slopped us and others around everywhere for a while there before succumbing to debiliatating mental illness (or are you trying to suggest that McGrath and Warne inspired his 'disintegration'. And who the hell is Kirstin? Your kid sister?

Seriously, for every reasonable discussion point you cough up you really do dish out some nonsensical, thoughtless tosh...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

What is with all the cricket talk in this thread? The topic is Spud Dawson.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:What is with all the cricket talk in this thread? The topic is Spud Dawson.
It's all about a different spud now.... BigMart

Like going from a Sebago to a Desiree, personally I don't think you can go past a Nicola for most applications.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Zac Dawson is not a Dud....nor is he that good...just serviceable

Back to cricket

Are you sayng McGrath never had a good record against Lara????
Seriously....

on two tours he was his bunny...

1992 - Lara was bashing around Merv Hughes, McDermott, Steve and Mark Waugh, Mo Matthews....McGrath was not Playing....Australia got 550 on that track, west indies 610....match drawn

98 - Lara was superb...3 centuries..not just one....Obviously you can use examples of when he has got hundreds....he made over 30 of them an no one denies his genius...but which bowler had the most success against him....and how often did he fail against pidgeon??

Kallis - there is a reason he is not rated with the big three....even though statistically he should be

Every batsman has there day....especially of that Calibre....its how often you can stop them....point is McGrath and Warne successfully outpointed all of those batsman more often than not

oh, and Kirstin...Gary Kirstin an outstansing opener for Sth Africa in the 90's....

Does anyone really think that Warne and McGrath didnt use mental pressure on batsmen....they both tactically though batsmen out with sustained accuracy and pressure and often batsmen didnt attack them because of their percieved greatness...rather than what the ball was actually doing

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Kirsten, you'll find, Bgi Mrat.

McGrath and Warne bowled well together and as part of an attack littered with steady talent (Gillespie, Kasprowicz, Lee etc etc). That should never be underestimated. There was rarely any respite. Everyone pipes up about Warne and McGrath flying solo in the mental disintegration stakes when in fact they had incredibly capable support in the bowling ranks and easily the sharpest fielding side ever assembled.

It's preposterous to suggest that the likes of Kallis, Lara etc are somehow bunnies simply because they, as part of s*** sides, got out occasionally. Lara made Warne look average plenty of times. He also made McGrath look a plodder on occasion. Kallis is the same. And FWIW Trescothick at his height butchered McGrath plenty...The blokes you hang poop on more than deserve their due.

Anyhow, back to Zac...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Can we move this cricket thread to the General forum?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

lefty wrote:Bah Zac, always in it for the cash.

Just remember this club gave you a second chance, took you aboard, the coach played you above the loyal, fan favorite and imo better player Max Hudgeton, yet he cannot accept a pay cut for the club and what the club has done for him.

I will forever remember the big hit on didak in the grand final, was mint, but that is all.

Never let the facts get in the away of another whinge.

FACT: Max was injured late 2009. Would have been a massive risk playing him ahead of Zac. Outside of a point that was awarded a goal, Zac had a pretty good day.

FACT: Zac was penalised in NZ for breaking a no alcohol rule. He had a few glasses of red at dinner. He was not involved in the prescription drugs/grog escapade.

FACT: Zac has a short use by date in the AFL. If you knew that you would most likely be out of your current job in 3 years time & had the opportunity to triple your wages in that time, what would you do?

FACT: Zac uses his body to get his opponent out of position very well. He gets found out when he plays too far infront of his man & has to double back & 'find' him. He's also as courageous as they come. We will miss him IF he goes (which is still to be confirmed).

I'm sure that Zac would love to stay. I love my current job but if someone offered me 3 times the salary?... I would be derelict in my responsibilty to my family if I didnt heavily weigh that up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Can you still call them 'roast potatoes' if you use a lot of oil?

At what point do they become 'chips'?

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

so has he left yet or what???

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Gee I would have preferred Maximus playing in 09 considering how tight our defence was and who are we kidding Zac didnćt have to kick the ball often anyways and Maximus was a much better spoiler so win win really...

oh wait

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintdooley wrote:so has he left yet or what???
You could do us a favour too if you really wanted to

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
lefty wrote:Bah Zac, always in it for the cash.

Never let the facts get in the away of another whinge.

FACT: Max was injured late 2009. Would have been a massive risk playing him ahead of Zac. Outside of a point that was awarded a goal, Zac had a pretty good day.

FACT: Zac was penalised in NZ for breaking a no alcohol rule. He had a few glasses of red at dinner. He was not involved in the prescription drugs/grog escapade.

FACT: Zac has a short use by date in the AFL. If you knew that you would most likely be out of your current job in 3 years time & had the opportunity to triple your wages in that time, what would you do?

FACT: Zac uses his body to get his opponent out of position very well. He gets found out when he plays too far infront of his man & has to double back & 'find' him. He's also as courageous as they come. We will miss him IF he goes (which is still to be confirmed).

I'm sure that Zac would love to stay. I love my current job but if someone offered me 3 times the salary?... I would be derelict in my responsibilty to my family if I didnt heavily weigh that up.
Are you sure it's a FACT he uses his body well? I would have thought it would be his biggest problem. One on one he gets monstered IMO.

Zac is average....anyway back to McGrath and Warne

McGrath
563 wickets at 21.6...not too pedestrian
Warne
708 wickets at 25.5....not too shabby

I remember thinking Glenn's decision to take on the West Indies bowlers sent out a positive message to the West Indies that the Australian side was really up for it," Ponting said. "Ambrose, Walsh Kenny Benjamin had never been treated like that before. It made the West Indies sit back and think, 'This Australian team is fair dinkum — they're really up for it.' "Even if you aren't the murder boys of cricket, you can show little things to let the opposition know you are serious. It might be the way you warm up, how you dress to go to the ground. Perception can be enormous. If you can give off the right signals to (a) bluffing them or (b) showing them what you're all about. McGrath, at that stage of his career, showed them what he was all about. His body language and the way he looked at their batsman — the wry smile — it sent a signal to the batsman and his own team-mates that he knew what he was doing.[11]

From his Bio

More

McGrath was regarded as one of the best fast bowlers in the world and has had success against every opposition team, in both Test and one-day cricket. He deliberately (and publicly) targeted the opposition's best batsmen prior to a series in an attempt to distract them, a ploy which regularly worked. At the beginning of the Frank Worrell series against the West Indies he stated in interviews before the match, that he would dismiss Sherwin Campbell for his 299th wicket, then remove star batsman Brian Lara for his 300th wicket the very next ball. In a masterstroke this eventuated as planned, following this with the dismissal of captain Jimmy Adams to complete a memorable hat trick. The targeting of opposition batsmen has generally been successful; he has dismissed Mike Atherton of England 19 times - the most times any batsman has been dismissed by one bowler in cricket history.

and more

He also tends to engage in sledging of opposition batsmen and teams, though it doesn't always pay off. Before the 2005 Ashes series he predicted a 5-0 whitewash for Australia, and even said that if England won the Ashes he would return to Australia by boat, but England prevailed 2-1. However, this did not dissuade him from making a similar 5-0 prediction for the next Ashes series, in Australia in 2006/07 which turned out to be true. He finished his career as the most successful Test fast-bowler and 3rd highest Test wicket taker. However his Test wicket haul was surpassed by Indian leg-spinner Anil Kumble during India's tour of England 2007.
..........................they were leading 1-0 (mcgrath 9 wickets) until he did his ankle...the series and the ashes were then gone....thats how good he was

On Warne

How was his support cast in 2005.....McGrath out injured....Gillespie bowling runs.....Kaspa being Kaspa (average) and Brett Lee take 9 wicket at 55
Warne 40+ wickets a solo effort that kept australia in the series..

Goddard Magic
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I dont know

I just know he walked out on Melbourne
That's the point.

He didn't walk out - he asked to be traded and Melbourne got a third round pick for him.

We get zip for zac.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Gee BigMart you underrate Kaspa a wee bit. He played the supporting role very well much like a B grade midfielder in a quality midfield unit.

To the top
SS Life Member

Gillespie was a brilliant bowler.

Remember him getting Lara at the MCG - out, out, out, out with Lara across and letting them go with flair, then seamed one in hitting the top of off as Lara again shaped to let it go.

Brilliant bowling to undo a champion batsman.

Dawson is ordinary, very ordinary - and absolutely soft mentally and physically in a position where you need unswerving discipline and hardness in the contest.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Has he gone yet or is it 13 pages of speculative bulldust

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Has he gone yet or is it 13 pages of speculative bulldust
I think you know the answer to that one bobbie boy :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He hasn't been delisted so far… so speculative bulldust… and cricket, and mankinis and my potato conversation which no-one else joined in on.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
He hasn't been delisted so far… so speculative bulldust… and cricket, and mankinis and my potato conversation which no-one else joined in on.
Sorry I missed that one dragit.

Do you have a chip on your shoulder? :P

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes we should have done a trade for him.... I suppose we wanted to keep him...

Cricket again

Kaspa - a very good shield bowler 450 odd wickets 1991-2006....he did however only play 38 tests and took 110 odd wickets at 33avg...he was very much a back up bowler....he relied a lot on injuries to get a game in the Aus side...good honest back up...

Dizzy....his stats dont actually indicate his true ability and performance.....and his decline in 2005 was sad to see, he was a fantasic fast bowler...attacking length, perfect foil for Pidg and Bing....smart bowler aswell....

Bit like Bruce Reid, if Gillespie's body had not failed him early doors, he would be remembered a absolute champion......as it is, he would be considered a good openining bowler....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

God help us.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Yes we should have done a trade for him.... I suppose we wanted to keep him...

Cricket again.
Reading your continual cricket posts in this thread is like watching someone with OCD.

Are you familiar with Groundhog Day?