Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon

Thomo loved the saints. He still bleeds red white and black. Lyon was a f****** interloper who coaches for money not love. I know, a lot do.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:13pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 4:37pm Coach A is competing against a team in a prelim (where we are favoured to win because we had comprehensively smashed them in h&a that year AND) we had the advantage of playing here in Melbourne. Coach A has a team who were top of the ladder and who were the dominant team of that year. Coach A only just falls over the line and wins a prelim in the dying minutes

Coach B is playing against a team in a prelim (where that particular team are favourites after beating us convincingly in h&a that year AND) we have to play them in enemy territory on their home ground. Coach B is up against a team were on top of the ladder and the strongest team throughout that year. Coach B only just falls short by 6 points with the opposition scoring a scrappy goal in the dying minutes

Hmmmmmmm

Can't stand Ross for the fact that he passes blame on to others and thinks his players are always to blame for losses. I understand that he honestly believes in himself (and some of his supporters believe that he is a master tactician) but most of the hard work had already been done for him at both St Kilda and at Freo

You can only fool people for so long. It's how he treated our blokes and it's how self interest is always ahead of what's best for a football club. Don't be surprised if there are more young prospects and star players deserting the Dockers.
Coach A gets his team to 3 GF appearances...
Coach B gets his team to none
Compare the pair....

Anyhoo, players and ex champions LOVE coach A to the point they publicly state he’s what the club needs (I don’t agree)
Coach B is rent a headline that NO OTHER AFL club has touched since......and still no answers why?????????

Let’s get real for a moment - Lyon took a complete style of football and transformed the league style of play (much to the chagrin of many) but he did it. He got a playing list to absolutely buy into it.
Thomas had nothing but “good ole fashioned shoot out” and when that failed all he had was “hearts n mind” spin doctoring and 80s corporate mumbo jumbo
Does anyone think Lyons the answer here now??? Nup
But the guy could coach and in 09/10 he was top 3 in AFL
He’s finished now imho but let’s not have drivel that Gt was even comparable he was a fraud
Ross lyin copied the Swans style and rejigged it his way and he....oh that's right he failed several times in finals

In fact I think Mark Harvey has a better win loss ratio in finals than Ross Lyin

Alan Richardson teams in 2016 beat the eventual premiers in home and away

Alan Richardson team in home and away 'smashed' the eventual premiers of 2017.

Big fuuuckkin deal

I know why you get all salty about this issue. You know deep down that GT laid the foundations for RL and you just don't want to admit it publicly
Last edited by Josh Battle on Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:40am Thomo loved the saints. He still bleeds red white and black. Lyon was a f****** interloper who coaches for money not love. I know, a lot do.
I guess that is why he pots the club & players on social media!

Ask any of his former players how much respect they have for him when he made the public comment about the drugs during his coaching era. I'll go with his former players and their opinion.

Thomo loves Thomo!

The whole saints man thong and wouldn't coach another club is a bad take on the Bruce Springsteen image of the 80's where he was down to earth guy and didn't conform to all the lifestyle trappings of the rich and famous.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
spert
Saintsational Legend

What have all the Saints coaches after Jeans got in common? The answer is, none of them are premiership coaches (and basically it doesn't mean a hoot in the scheme of things as to how many finals were won or lost in the attempts). Ok, next coach come on down please.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:26pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:13pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 4:37pm Coach A is competing against a team in a prelim (where we are favoured to win because we had comprehensively smashed them in h&a that year AND) we had the advantage of playing here in Melbourne. Coach A has a team who were top of the ladder and who were the dominant team of that year. Coach A only just falls over the line and wins a prelim in the dying minutes

Coach B is playing against a team in a prelim (where that particular team are favourites after beating us convincingly in h&a that year AND) we have to play them in enemy territory on their home ground. Coach B is up against a team were on top of the ladder and the strongest team throughout that year. Coach B only just falls short by 6 points with the opposition scoring a scrappy goal in the dying minutes

Hmmmmmmm

Can't stand Ross for the fact that he passes blame on to others and thinks his players are always to blame for losses. I understand that he honestly believes in himself (and some of his supporters believe that he is a master tactician) but most of the hard work had already been done for him at both St Kilda and at Freo

You can only fool people for so long. It's how he treated our blokes and it's how self interest is always ahead of what's best for a football club. Don't be surprised if there are more young prospects and star players deserting the Dockers.
Coach A gets his team to 3 GF appearances...
Coach B gets his team to none
Compare the pair....

Anyhoo, players and ex champions LOVE coach A to the point they publicly state he’s what the club needs (I don’t agree)
Coach B is rent a headline that NO OTHER AFL club has touched since......and still no answers why?????????

Let’s get real for a moment - Lyon took a complete style of football and transformed the league style of play (much to the chagrin of many) but he did it. He got a playing list to absolutely buy into it.
Thomas had nothing but “good ole fashioned shoot out” and when that failed all he had was “hearts n mind” spin doctoring and 80s corporate mumbo jumbo
Does anyone think Lyons the answer here now??? Nup
But the guy could coach and in 09/10 he was top 3 in AFL
He’s finished now imho but let’s not have drivel that Gt was even comparable he was a fraud
Ross lyin copied the Swans style and rejigged it his way and he....oh that's right he failed several times in finals

In fact I think Mark Harvey has a better win loss ratio in finals than Ross Lyin

Alan Richardson teams in 2016 beat the eventual premiers in home and away

Alan Richardson team in home and away 'smashed' the eventual premiers of 2017.

Big fuuuckkin deal

I know why you get all salty about this issue. You know deep down that GT laid the foundations for RL and you just don't want to admit it publicly
Alan Richardson’s team won a game against Richmond and you reckon big fuuukin deal hey?
I know why you post meaningless stats cause Lyons coaching performance facts Shyte all over your GT love child and you know it

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 1:35pm
saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:40am Thomo loved the saints. He still bleeds red white and black. Lyon was a f****** interloper who coaches for money not love. I know, a lot do.

Ask any of his former players how much respect they have for him when he made the public comment about the drugs during his coaching era. I'll go with his former players and their opinion.

Thomo loves Thomo!

The whole saints man thong and wouldn't coach another club is a bad take on the Bruce Springsteen image of the 80's where he was down to earth guy and didn't conform to all the lifestyle trappings of the rich and famous.
Spot on Joff
Just amazed at how many gullible people brought the bad 80s corporate spin!
I too have spoken to those on the inner circle and know the truth as opposed to a bunch of desperate saints fans on the internet who just need a messiah.....
Sad in a way..

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lyon had in their absolute prime

Reiwoldt, Goddard, Dal Santo, Fisher, Montagna, Milne, Hayes, Baker

That is 8 all time greats in their PRIME at the one time

Then their were handy or better players like
Ray, Gram, Kosi, Gilbert, Jones, Schnieder, Dempster, Blake

Another 8 good players, some ending up 200 gamers

Plus two ageing but Gun Ruckmen in King and Gardiner

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

So a coach needs to support the club to be the best candidate?

Where do I apply?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Thomo loves Thomo!

Superb post! Exactly on the money - it baffles me how others seem to get seduced by him.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

all i know was that in 2004 after the saints beat geelong in the wizard cup both teams were seen as most likely to rise and challange for a flag in the coming years. both chock a block with young guns. that year the saints came 3rd, geelong 4th, both losing a prelim.
In 2005 the saints came 4th, geelong 6th, both fell out to sydney on their way to their first flag since neanderthal man became extinct. the saints in the prelim, the cats a week earlier.
In 2006 geelong floundered coming 10th and almost sacked their coach but instead gave him more support.
those young guns won 3 flags over the next 5 years. they remained a finals team by keeping most of them together in their twilight years to help develop and to help remain competitive. they remain one now. they replaced the coach when he wanted to move away and with united team of experienced players the next coach slotted into themnicely. he remains to this day.
st kilda came 6th and suffered an injury depleted loss in week 1.

They chose to sack their coach who in just five years had led them from wooden spooners to three finals in a row and two prelims. Some strange folk, no doubt coloured by prejudice, still claim he couldn't coach. must have been pure luck.

the result - no flags and the team fell apart by 2012 and picked up a wooden spoon under their fourth coach (now five) by 2014. geelong finished 3rd that year. missed finals just once since that 2006 moment.
was thommo's sacking the sliding door moment?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 5:22am all i know was that in 2004 after the saints beat geelong in the wizard cup both teams were seen as most likely to rise and challange for a flag in the coming years. both chock a block with young guns. that year the saints came 3rd, geelong 4th, both losing a prelim.
In 2005 the saints came 4th, geelong 6th, both fell out to sydney on their way to their first flag since neanderthal man became extinct. the saints in the prelim, the cats a week earlier.
In 2006 geelong floundered coming 10th and almost sacked their coach but instead gave him more support.
those young guns won 3 flags over the next 5 years. they remained a finals team by keeping most of them together in their twilight years to help develop and to help remain competitive. they remain one now. they replaced the coach when he wanted to move away and with united team of experienced players the next coach slotted into themnicely. he remains to this day.

They chose to sack their coach who in just five years had led them from wooden spooners to three finals in a row and two prelims. Some strange folk, no doubt coloured by prejudice, still claim he couldn't coach. must have been pure luck.

the result - no flags and the team fell apart by 2012 and picked up a wooden spoon under their fourth coach (now five) by 2014. geelong finished 3rd that year. missed finals just once since that 2006 moment.

This surely is a joke of a post. You go from glorifying preliminary finals to completely disregarding two very close Grand final efforts...

GT’s sacking was a sliding doors moment but one that came way too late.

That’s all I know.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:09pm What have all the Saints coaches after Jeans got in common? The answer is, none of them are premiership coaches (and basically it doesn't mean a hoot in the scheme of things as to how many finals were won or lost in the attempts). Ok, next coach come on down please.
Blighty??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:09am
desertsaint wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 5:22am all i know was that in 2004 after the saints beat geelong in the wizard cup both teams were seen as most likely to rise and challange for a flag in the coming years. both chock a block with young guns. that year the saints came 3rd, geelong 4th, both losing a prelim.

This surely is a joke of a post. You go from glorifying preliminary finals to completely disregarding two very close Grand final efforts...

That’s all I know.
That's the "Bubble" right there. Don't compare yourself to other clubs and don't worry about sustainability of success and what that means to a football club. Just win it NOW and forever bask in the glory of greatness for YOURSELF and for your STARS

As for "glorifying preliminary finals", Isnt it just as bad as glorifying losses in grand finals. Or is it the McLelland trophies that you are glorifying?

GT left a legacy. GT laid the foundations for sustainable success for the footy club. GT was sacked before his core group of teenagers became leaders of men. Lyon was handed a ready made list and he was a mercenary who used us as a stepping stone. The problem with having an all or nothing mentality is that you've risked your future trying to get there. In Ross we trusted and we got shafted!!

.....When I say shafted...please don't be confused....I'm not talking about him leaving.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:34pm Image
🤮🤮🤮

🤑🤑🤑

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 8:13am
spert wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 5:09pm What have all the Saints coaches after Jeans got in common? The answer is, none of them are premiership coaches (and basically it doesn't mean a hoot in the scheme of things as to how many finals were won or lost in the attempts). Ok, next coach come on down please.
Blighty??
Ah, Blighty. Replace the GT years with Blight and we would now be sitting on probably 3 flags instead of one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:59pm

Thomo loves Thomo!

Spot on Joff
I too have spoken to those on the inner circle and know the truth as opposed to a bunch of desperate saints fans on the internet who just need a messiah.....
Sad in a way..
Comment on the thread, not on posters ffs. :roll: :roll:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 12:02am Lyon had in their absolute prime

Reiwoldt, Goddard, Dal Santo, Fisher, Montagna, Milne, Hayes, Baker

That is 8 all time greats in their PRIME at the one time

Then their were handy or better players like
Ray, Gram, Kosi, Gilbert, Jones, Schnieder, Dempster, Blake

Another 8 good players, some ending up 200 gamers

Plus two ageing but Gun Ruckmen in King and Gardiner
This is utter BS and dismisses the very good footballers Thomas had in THEIR PRIME including a gun FF in Gehrig and a bull in Hamill

This theory goes down the toilet further when you consider they were good enough to get within a kick in a prelim and fell away a year later through injury mismanagement

Thomas couldn’t get the job done

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 12:45pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:59pm

Thomo loves Thomo!

Spot on Joff
Sad in a way..
Comment on the thread, not on posters ffs. :roll: :roll:
Not directed at an individual so bite me
Roll roll roll roll

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 9:07am
Spinner wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 7:09am

That’s all I know.
That's the "Bubble" right there. Don't compare yourself to other clubs and don't worry about sustainability of success and what that means to a football club. Just win it NOW and forever bask in the glory of greatness for YOURSELF and for your STARS

As for "glorifying preliminary finals", Isnt it just as bad as glorifying losses in grand finals. Or is it the McLelland trophies that you are glorifying?

GT left a legacy. GT laid the foundations for sustainable success for the footy club. GT was sacked before his core group of teenagers became leaders of men. Lyon was handed a ready made list and he was a mercenary who used us as a stepping stone. The problem with having an all or nothing mentality is that you've risked your future trying to get there. In Ross we trusted and we got shafted!!

.....When I say shafted...please don't be confused....I'm not talking about him leaving.
GTs “core stars” all want Lyon back FFS
They’d know more than you??
And they ain’t locked into this weird cult like love you seem to fantasise about that “GT was building something big....laying the core.....”
Faaark me Lyon came in and shredded his game plan and got results
Your fake geezus was a fraud

“Yeah….nah””