Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lefty
Club Player

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

My questions would be....

1. Why is being closer to the city considered an advantage, and to whom?
Its my view that not all people (that can afford it), live in the city or the rich suburbs. Our supporter base is mainly east bound, as it the majority of melbourne population. Some players do live in the city, some don't. Some will be happy, some won't. I don't see Selwood leaving Geelong for example, and Caddy had no problems moving there. Do you think Jobe wants out because they moved to Tullamarine? You have to remember the club needs members to survive, its not just about the players.

2. How would that improve branding and marketing (including sponsorship).
Sure, being closer to more people could increase awareness and marketing opportunities, but the ones that are interested already follow AFL and have a team, vary rarely could you simply get someone to change teams. The argument is actually better suited to being near the expanding outer suburbs where new families / homes are being established, where you want to have a presence and hopefully they'll become members - thats market opportunity right there. I cannot see memberships magically increasing by moving to the JO. Not saying I disagree with moving, but I'm not going to agree that it brings more members in because it doesn't. What will, as always, it winning games.

If the club really gave a rats, since they openly acknowledge that the next two years will be tough, they should change their membership structure where....
- Those that have been members for 5+ years continuously get first preference for finals tickets.
(So the concept it to base first priority tickets based on length of continuous membership, rather than money - heck you could even tier it).

This would ensure membership stays high during the low periods, rather than the usual bandwagon people, where they simply by a membership when we're winning/on top.

I have no idea why the club doesn't or hasn't looked into this. Meh.

3. What are the improved social and community opportunities and how exactly are they special for JO compared to Seaford?
I cannot comprehend this point. Where ever you go, there will be improved community and social opportunities, be it Seaford, Berwick, Nunawading, Altona. JO is no different either. But the point is mute, because its valid for any location.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote: The JO is the Fitzroy ground or the saints cricket ground and cant stand the Saints as im a demons supporter so its all bad memories for me.
Finally the admission, after all these years...

Pluggsy is a... TROLL. :P

Still need to work on being funny Dave. Try humour.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The proposal was given another wrap on SEN this morning (yes, valueless, I know, and we still don't have the funding, but Gaze mentioned talk also of an indoor centre with an added community benefit e.g. basketball, netball etc)

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:My questions would be....

1. Why is being closer to the city considered an advantage, and to whom?
Its my view that not all people (that can afford it), live in the city or the rich suburbs. Our supporter base is mainly east bound, as it the majority of melbourne population. Some players do live in the city, some don't. Some will be happy, some won't. I don't see Selwood leaving Geelong for example, and Caddy had no problems moving there. Do you think Jobe wants out because they moved to Tullamarine? You have to remember the club needs members to survive, its not just about the players.

2. How would that improve branding and marketing (including sponsorship).
Sure, being closer to more people could increase awareness and marketing opportunities, but the ones that are interested already follow AFL and have a team, vary rarely could you simply get someone to change teams. The argument is actually better suited to being near the expanding outer suburbs where new families / homes are being established, where you want to have a presence and hopefully they'll become members - thats market opportunity right there. I cannot see memberships magically increasing by moving to the JO. Not saying I disagree with moving, but I'm not going to agree that it brings more members in because it doesn't. What will, as always, it winning games.

If the club really gave a rats, since they openly acknowledge that the next two years will be tough, they should change their membership structure where....
- Those that have been members for 5+ years continuously get first preference for finals tickets.
(So the concept it to base first priority tickets based on length of continuous membership, rather than money - heck you could even tier it).

This would ensure membership stays high during the low periods, rather than the usual bandwagon people, where they simply by a membership when we're winning/on top.

I have no idea why the club doesn't or hasn't looked into this. Meh.

3. What are the improved social and community opportunities and how exactly are they special for JO compared to Seaford?
I cannot comprehend this point. Where ever you go, there will be improved community and social opportunities, be it Seaford, Berwick, Nunawading, Altona. JO is no different either. But the point is mute, because its valid for any location.
The actual 'population centre' of Melbourne is Glen Iris. By 'population centre' I mean there is an equal number of people Nth, E, S, W of Glen iris.

I agree with a lot of your post though. I highlighted the part where you said " but the ones that are interested already follow AFL and have a team, vary rarely could you simply get someone to change teams". To me this is one of the reasons to move to the JO. As you point out - it is bloody hard to get new fans. Most people go for a side based on their family/friends from being a kid - and this is often not based on geographic location. To me having a community presence in somewhere like St Kilda - which has a high pop density, high transient population and high number of community style events plus also has tens of thousands of 'inter-suburb' visitors' every single weekend provides an opportunity to attarct newbies to the club and the game itself.

I was living in St Kilda during the 09 finals campaign and I can positively say the whole suburb went completely ballistic. The thousands who visited during that time would have been blown away. All the shops and pubs and fashion stores restuarants and cafes etc all had Saints colours. And as I said its not just locals absorbing all that - its is people from all over Australia and even the world. Even if these transient popoulations live there for a few years - before moving back to wherever they are from or into a suburb when they settle with kids or whatever - they have all been absorbed to Saints culture and some of them will stay onboard and bring their future kids on board - even if they move out of the area.

At present - we are stagnating - as you suggest - its hard to get new fans - right now we are just struggling to hang on to current fans - we have little hope of getting news ones.

Other examples given are for inner urban community style clubs like Arsenal. Chelsea, Man U, Barcelona, Liverpool etc these clubs have museums and the like that are actually genuine tourist attractions. I think this is the vision some people have for the JO.

Then there is the whole 'vibe' and 'culture' stuff. Like it or loathe it - real or not real - the St Kilda base would make us 'cool'. Undoubtedly this would appeal to certain brands and marketers. Being 'in your face' for more creative types could possibly get us more corporate interest. Just think of the Ad Agencies around St Kilda Rd/Prahran for instance. Makes it so easy for them to wander down and use us in ads or whatever.

St Kilda is a suburb like no other - and to me represents a competitive advantage and opportunity. In no way can you compare to those other suburbs. The reality is people come from all over Australia and the world to go to St Kilda. There are many interstaters and many many from other suburbs visit on weekends. No way can you compare it to Berwick, Nunawading etc. And its often young people in the creative industries. "trend setters".

No offence- but apart from renovation sponsors - what else are we attracting? Many ad industry type people live in and around St Kilda. It is a genuine hub for these types of people. The Saints can plant itself right in the middle of that.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 17 Sep 2014 2:36pm, edited 6 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Crap - I just realised I said i wouldnt post in here until we got more actual news :oops:

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The money men are becoming involved now.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote:Crap - I just realised I said i wouldnt post in here until we got more actual news :oops:
Nah, don't worry about that, just keep posting on this topic (and any other for that matter) as you see fit. :D

(Besides, we all know that Pluggsy needs something to respond to whilst he's sitting in a freeway commuter traffic jam... with his car pointed the wrong way. :lol: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Con Gorozidis wrote: I was living in St Kilda during the 09 finals campaign and I can positively say the whole suburb went completely ballistic. The thousands who visited during that time would have been blown away. All the shops and pubs and fashion stores restuarants and cafes etc all had Saints colours. And as I said its not just locals absorbing all that - its is people from all over Australia and even the world. Even if these transient popoulations live there for a few years - before moving back to wherever they are from or into a suburb when they settle with kids or whatever - they have all been absorbed to Saints culture and some of them will stay onboard and bring their future kids on board - even if they move out of the area.

Other examples given are for inner urban community style clubs like Arsenal. Chelsea, Man U, Barcelona, Liverpool etc these clubs have museums and the like that are actually genuine tourist attractions. I think this is the vision some people have for the JO. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Then there is the whole 'vibe' and 'culture' stuff. Like it or loathe it - real or not real - the St Kilda base would make us 'cool'.

St Kilda is a suburb like no other - and to me represents a competitive advantage and opportunity. In no way can you compare to those other suburbs. The reality is people come from all over Australia and the world to go to St Kilda. There are many interstaters and many many from other suburbs visit on weekends. No way can you compare it to Berwick, Nunawading etc. And its often young people in the creative industries. "trend setters".
What Con said!

And don't forget the building of an international fan base opportunity. Don't overlook those international soccer clubs Con listed. Ok, not quite of that size, but play it right, and we could well end up with the biggest international profile of any Australian sporting club.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Crap - I just realised I said i wouldnt post in here until we got more actual news :oops:
Nah, don't worry about that, just keep posting on this topic (and any other for that matter) as you see fit. :D

(Besides, we all know that Pluggsy needs something to respond to whilst he's sitting in a freeway commuter traffic jam... with his car pointed the wrong way. :lol: )

This fascination with me has to stop. Unless your a female im not interested. Pluggsy. Please stop that childish name to dave.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

'm sittin' in the railway station
Got a ticket for my destination
On a tour of one night stands
My suitcase and guitar in hand
And every stop is neatly planned
For a poet and a one man band

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thought's escaping
Home, where my music's playing
Home, where my love life's waiting
Silently for me

Everyday's an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And every stranger's face I see
Reminds me that I long to be

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Silently for me

Tonight I'll sing my songs again
I'll play the game and pretend
But all my words come back to me
In shades of mediocrity
Like emptyness in harmony
I need someone to comfort me

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Silently for me
Silently for me
Silently for m

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:This fascination with me has to stop. Unless your a female im not interested. Pluggsy. Please stop that childish name to dave.
Sorry, but I thought that you are a female(?) :?

That's what you told us all. And then there's that picture of you stuck in a clothes dryer...

But even so, things wouldn't work at that level... what with my aversion to KFC and its ilk,
and your aversion to eggplant, to concepts like 'passion'..., and to adding when needed that second 'o' to 'to' (most confusing in the post above).

So plugger66, despite your having posted that you don't care what you are called, how do request to be referred to on this forum?

I used 'Pluggsy' simply coz I actually enjoy your SS membership. I consider that a more friendly name, than several other 'variations' that have been used by peeps who claim 'less of an appreciation' for your talents.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:This fascination with me has to stop. Unless your a female im not interested. Pluggsy. Please stop that childish name to dave.

That's what you told us all. And then there's that picture of you stuck in a clothes dryer...

But even so, things wouldn't work at that level... what with my aversion to KFC and its ilk,
and your aversion to eggplant, to concepts like 'passion'..., and to adding when needed that second 'o' to 'to' (most confusing in the post above).

So plugger66, despite your having posted that you don't care what you are called, how do request to be referred to on this forum?

I used 'Pluggsy' simply coz I actually enjoy your SS membership. I consider that a more friendly name, than several other 'variations' that have been used by peeps who claim 'less of an appreciation' for your talents.

I don't care but pluggsy makes it sound like we know each other. I don't know you from the eggplant I jut threw in the bin. I would prefer f***wit to Pluggsy. At least it shows we aren't mates and I don't mean that in the wrong way but I have enough mates and I don't have mates from names on a footy forum.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

that would include me dave.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

that would include me dave.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

You are really weird for a guy who claims to have me on ignore.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i hope we get to the JO and will just love sticking it up the self opinionated tossers on here who have stated it will never happen...I hope we get it in spite.

seriously there are some wankers on here.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:i hope we get to the JO and will just love sticking it up the self opinionated tossers on here who have stated it will never happen...I hope we get it in spite.

Firemam you aren't usually angry like this. I re read the whole thread and I don't think anyone said we will never train at the ground outside the JO. Some said we will never play a game of footy at the JO and I still stand by that. Its a really strange reason to want to get there. I hope we get there if the facilities are better than where we are now. It would be great for the club and players. I hope we get anywhere if they are like that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:i hope we get to the JO and will just love sticking it up the self opinionated tossers on here who have stated it will never happen...I hope we get it in spite.

plugger66 wrote:Firemam
Freudian slip ?
plugger66 wrote: you aren't usually angry like this.
Mood swings.
plugger66 wrote: I re read the whole thread and I don't think anyone said we will never train at the ground outside the JO. Some said we will never play a game of footy at the JO and I still stand by that. Its a really strange reason to want to get there. I hope we get there if the facilities are better than where we are now. It would be great for the club and players. I hope we get anywhere if they are like that.
I dont really want to go through the whole thread but I certainly got the idea a few had said that a move there in any form wouldn't happen but also the just the negative vibes towards the idea of moving there.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Just start a thread saying that it will be a shocking move.

Within minutes you'll have plugger66 arguing how great a move it is, attacking anyone who disagrees personally and taking the thread way off topic to just to win a spat as his original argument is in tatters.

That'll balance out the negativity in this thread.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Just start a thread saying that it will be a shocking move.

Within minutes you'll have plugger66 arguing how great a move it is, attacking anyone who disagrees personally and taking the thread way off topic to just to win a spat as his original argument is in tatters.

I certainly get that feeling JM

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Just start a thread saying that it will be a shocking move.

Good stuff JM. Just ask you a question that makes your opinion sound silly and you get words like oh my and oh dear. Show me just one post where I have contradicted my opinion You wont find one because if I believe something is wrong I will say it. Big deal. Its sad when someone joins in a thread just to bag another. Sad case JM.

And on topic, not once have I said the team will not ever train at a ground outside the JO. What I have said is we wont ever play at the JO or I don't think it will help us attract better players unless we pay more than they are receiving and we show signs that we are going up the ladder. The same which I believe would happen at Seaford. Wow what outlandish comments and obviously said just to disagree with others. What a load of crap.

And JM at least I have the courage to use the same nic. You have gone from Rogerfox to JM for what reason exactly? And please don't deny you aren't RF. It is more obvious than SW lost the players.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

"STATE Government figures are hopeful footy could be on the MCG in early March 2016, with an imminent cash injection to kickstart the long-awaited Junction Oval redevelopment.

Spring St sources say a funding increase could happen as early as this weekend as part of the Liberal Party’s pre-election promises, but the government denies it will lift its current $10 million to a mooted $25 million.

The deal, however, as reported in the Herald Sun in April, might still depend on a “white knight” with one wealthy St Kilda Football Club identity thought to be in discussions."

"Prominent St Kilda supporters include trucking magnate Lindsay Fox, Jayco Caravans boss Gerry Ryan and restaurateur Frank van Haandel."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 7060662748

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:"STATE Government figures are hopeful footy could be on the MCG in early March 2016, with an imminent cash injection to kickstart the long-awaited Junction Oval redevelopment.

Spring St sources say a funding increase could happen as early as this weekend as part of the Liberal Party’s pre-election promises, but the government denies it will lift its current $10 million to a mooted $25 million.

The deal, however, as reported in the Herald Sun in April, might still depend on a “white knight” with one wealthy St Kilda Football Club identity thought to be in discussions."

"Prominent St Kilda supporters include trucking magnate Lindsay Fox, Jayco Caravans boss Gerry Ryan and restaurateur Frank van Haandel."

<edited by mods>
f*** yeah

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

HitTheBoundary wrote:"STATE Government figures are hopeful footy could be on the MCG in early March 2016, with an imminent cash injection to kickstart the long-awaited Junction Oval redevelopment.

As I said before, here come the money men'. There's one other.

saint6709
Club Player

This is great Tony - I am hoping this comes to fruition..........any word on Sanderson as an assistant ?