The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
degruch wrote:If Sheeds had been working on it for a while, you'd safely assume that Richmond would have picked him before us, regardless of the St Kilda board's decision. Then we wouldn't have 900 threads jacking off about how great the Richmond Football Club is (relief).

By the way...Richmond vs St Kilda: will Polak go on to their LTI list, will Allen go on to our LTI list? Seemed Richmond were quite happy to hang Polak out to dry, will they follow through and promote a rookie? Will we be putting Allen on the LTI list and promoting a rookie?
the funniest thing about this is that we managed to win quite a few games and make the finals in 04, 05, 06, and 08 without BC. Now for some reasoon, we are doomed because we don't have him...

Go figure. :lol:
I know...bollocks innit. We were sizing him up as a short term replacement for Harvs, not for the whole freakin' team! Don't get me wrong, I think he has been a great player, he may continue to be a great player, but our club simply didn't believe we needed him as much as the potential drama surrounding him...we've got a decent team as is. I don't get what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is about???

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
degruch wrote:If Sheeds had been working on it for a while, you'd safely assume that Richmond would have picked him before us, regardless of the St Kilda board's decision. Then we wouldn't have 900 threads jacking off about how great the Richmond Football Club is (relief).

By the way...Richmond vs St Kilda: will Polak go on to their LTI list, will Allen go on to our LTI list? Seemed Richmond were quite happy to hang Polak out to dry, will they follow through and promote a rookie? Will we be putting Allen on the LTI list and promoting a rookie?
the funniest thing about this is that we managed to win quite a few games and make the finals in 04, 05, 06, and 08 without BC. Now for some reasoon, we are doomed because we don't have him...

Umm, we don't have number 35 next season either!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bob__71
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
bob__71 wrote:If Ben Cousins was not clean and free of associating with the drug scene, then I think the club has a duty of care to Michael Gardiner. Not saying he wont still hang with Ben but that will be his choice, not based on a decision of the club.
You old blokes need to get out a bit more.

See the nightlife.
I get out plenty....but i dont want to be an AFL footballer.

There is no reason why the nightlife needs to include drugs and criminals.

I think Rodger you need to get out a bit more...you must spend 10hrs a day on your computer.

Rodger why do you have a problem with not wanting drugs at StKilda?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Just got a feeling that he's going to have a really good few years with the Tigers...

I think he won't stuff up for a long, long time.

It wouldn't surprise me if he reverted to some of his old ways AFTER his career is finished, but like Gardiner with us, I think the change of scenery will kill off his opportunities to stuff up.

He wants to be an AFL player more than anything else. Otherwise he wouldn't have put himself through this.

He'll be a really good addition for Richmond. I wish he was ours, but he's not.

I predict Richmond will go close to cracking 40,000 members in 2009.

Despite our top four finish, I doubt we'll break 34,000.

Had we signed Cousins, I reckon we'd be looking at around the 38,000 mark.

The financial implications of that would have been sizable. It could have meant more rookies for 2010, better training facilties, improved equipment for players...

Not to mention the fact that it would have given our laborious midfield a massive boost.

========

NOW:

Cousins aside...

My question now for you all is this: which midfielders on our list are truly going step up and become elite AFL talent? Because that's what we need in the middle.

Are you backing Armitage to lift the required amount? Jack Steven? Robert Eddy? Brad Howard? Clinton Jones?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

So basically you have no faith in our current list of mids. Sad.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

I dont either. The midfield is the one part of the ground that concerns me most, and I just cant see where the improvement will come from. Im hoping to be surprised. :D

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

I dont either. The midfield is the one part of the ground that concerns me most, and I just cant see where the improvement will come from. Im hoping to be surprised. :D
The improvement wont come by recruiting a 30 year old as a bandaid for a year or 2. It comes from recruiting youth and even more so when you consider GC17 and the concessions they will get soon.

IMO Richmond are a good side but no way are they close to a GF side and their selection of BC is really useless

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Richter
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:NOW:

Cousins aside...

My question now for you all is this: which midfielders on our list are truly going step up and become elite AFL talent? Because that's what we need in the middle.

Are you backing Armitage to lift the required amount? Jack Steven? Robert Eddy? Brad Howard? Clinton Jones?
Good to see you moving on Everton.... :wink:

To answer your question.......

Goddard - I reckon he's about to crack it big time and become one of THE stand out midfielders in the comp. Expect to see him top 3 B and F as a minimum - maybe AA - if he really steps up a possible medallist (Norm Smith would be my preference)

Gram - had a few good cameos through the middle - with the addition of Ray and Begley expect to see more of him through the middle

Ball - had a better season and we would have been much more competitive with him in our finals team. Not going to get to Luke Hodge/Judd standard but no reason he can't be as good as say Sam Mitchell/Scott West

Of those you mention above, Steven and Armitage could well step up. The others.... nah

X to come back, stay fit and be the gun we all know he COULD be.

And is Raph a sneaky chance to spend some more time through the centre - maybe not so much in 2009, but what about 2010?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Ray... possibly Dawson or Begley in the backline... release BJ and GRam to full time midfield roles. Expect Dal to lift a notch also. Hopefully he goes to a HFF.

The key as I see it. is that we can actually put players in positions where they'll hurt the opposition... as opposed to filling gaps in defence.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Just got a feeling that he's going to have a really good few years with the Tigers...

I think he won't stuff up for a long, long time.

It wouldn't surprise me if he reverted to some of his old ways AFTER his career is finished, but like Gardiner with us, I think the change of scenery will kill off his opportunities to stuff up.

He wants to be an AFL player more than anything else. Otherwise he wouldn't have put himself through this.

He'll be a really good addition for Richmond. I wish he was ours, but he's not.

I predict Richmond will go close to cracking 40,000 members in 2009.

Despite our top four finish, I doubt we'll break 34,000.

Had we signed Cousins, I reckon we'd be looking at around the 38,000 mark.

The financial implications of that would have been sizable. It could have meant more rookies for 2010, better training facilties, improved equipment for players...

Not to mention the fact that it would have given our laborious midfield a massive boost.

========

NOW:

Cousins aside...

As usual, bang on the money. Undoubtedly, signing Cousins would have had a positive effect on our membership numbers, and I agree with your estimation of close to 38000 had we got Cuz. I think he'll be a terrific acquisition for Richmond, and now we can only wish for what could have been. IMO Cousins would have been a perfect fit in our midfield - complementing the likes of Dal, Lenny, Bally & BJ, and really providing some hard-running and much-needed goal kicking power from the middle of the ground.

The Saints are coming!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote: As usual, bang on the money. Undoubtedly, signing Cousins would have had a positive effect on our membership numbers, and I agree with your estimation of close to 38000 had we got Cuz.
Surely you underestimate. I reckon it would have been easily and at least 38 million
True Blue Sainter wrote: I think he'll be a terrific acquisition for Richmond, and now we can only wish for what could have been.
What could have been?
True Blue Sainter wrote: IMO Cousins would have been a perfect fit in our midfield - complementing the likes of Dal, Lenny, Bally & BJ, and really providing some hard-running and much-needed goal kicking power from the middle of the ground.
And a great source for anyone chasing.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Ben Cousins - 3 weeks

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

Saint Mik wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Proof? Where's the proof that they made wrong decisions?

1 flag in 100+ years is proof IMO right decisions get you a flag wrong ones cost you a flag.

What exactly are the "same old decisions" that you speak of??

Not taking a risk and also overrating this group of players we have, not sticking with Blight for the rest of the season then looking at the situation, putting Hamill on a 5 year contract, letting GT bend us over time and time again, oh and also not trading/drafting players to improve the list (BC), listening to the sponsors before the members yes I have no proof but I think our board was bent over once again and you can just keep going and going

Why do the Tigers deserve a pat on the back? They took the risk because he cost peanuts. They obviously didn't have the guts, or put enough value on him to take him the ND, did they

They have him and for that they deserve a pat on the back..
I hope we improve in 2009 but I am finding it very hard to see where it is going to come from, at least the sponsors are happy though :roll:
This is my main concern too. We still have the perennial weaknesses that will come back to bite us a again in 2009. No depth and insufficient breakaway speed to create room to provide better delivery to forwards. The only thing is that we have lost some of our forward strength.
Watch for "the same old tired" plays of feed Roo at all costs. Without more midfield potency nothing will change.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Re: The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

kalsaint wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

Proof? Where's the proof that they made wrong decisions?

1 flag in 100+ years is proof IMO right decisions get you a flag wrong ones cost you a flag.

What exactly are the "same old decisions" that you speak of??

Not taking a risk and also overrating this group of players we have, not sticking with Blight for the rest of the season then looking at the situation, putting Hamill on a 5 year contract, letting GT bend us over time and time again, oh and also not trading/drafting players to improve the list (BC), listening to the sponsors before the members yes I have no proof but I think our board was bent over once again and you can just keep going and going

Why do the Tigers deserve a pat on the back? They took the risk because he cost peanuts. They obviously didn't have the guts, or put enough value on him to take him the ND, did they

They have him and for that they deserve a pat on the back..
I hope we improve in 2009 but I am finding it very hard to see where it is going to come from, at least the sponsors are happy though :roll:
This is my main concern too. We still have the perennial weaknesses that will come back to bite us a again in 2009. No depth and insufficient breakaway speed to create room to provide better delivery to forwards. The only thing is that we have lost some of our forward strength.
Watch for "the same old tired" plays of feed Roo at all costs. Without more midfield potency nothing will change.
Spot on..there is NO basis to believe we can bridge the gap between us and the grand finalists.

Also..I'm willing to wager we will actually have LESS members next year, than this year.

We had a chance to obtain someone who could make a genuine difference..but some members of our board $hat themselves. Oh well, i guess they MUST know better than Sheedy :roll: :roll:

NO GUTS...NO GLORY!!! :evil: But i guess it's all been said...

Now we all just have to hope for some divine intervention, cos i'm sick up and fed of watching every team holding up the cup instead of us :cry:

PJ
SS Life Member

cos i'm sick up and fed
& in need of a good burping

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:

I think Rodger you need to get out a bit more...you must spend 10hrs a day on your computer.

If you got out plenty, there's a big chance you'd see certain players out and about.

And if you did, you wouldn't be making the comments that you did.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
And a great source for anyone chasing.

As I said, you old blokes need to get out more.

The naivity in relation to drugs on here by the geriatrics is amazing.

sainteronline

WayneJudson42 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
degruch wrote:Only teams with a lousy midfield will regret not having picked up BC...
If Cousins plays well, everyone is going to regret not havinhg BC. Every narrow loss where our midfield gets beaten is going to leave people wondering what if.
Maybe that's the problem. Too many supporters always wondering "what if"?
as opposed to too many supporters wondering"why not"

sainteronline

As I posted in another thread that was locked

this could have been us

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

On a damp, grey morning - footy weather, despite the cricket roller in the centre insisting it was summer - at least 1000 fans turned up, many of them an hour before the 9am training session was due to start.

This was the manifestation of the people power that has played such a significant part in convincing the Tigers to take a punt on Australia's most controversial sporting figure.

Already it has provided a tangible return, with hundreds of supporters heading for the membership counter in the merchandise shop under the social club, signing up more than three months in advance.

The stock - you could get anything from a framed guernsey signed by the Team of the Century for $995 to a replica premiership cup for $250 to a wristband for $5 - was walking out the door, as salesmen say.

Usually, on a weekday morning you could count the customers on your fingers - now the four staff were having trouble keeping up.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I wish someone would lock this bulls*** thread too.

BC plays for Richmond.

BC love = go support Richmond.

Now...didn't we just pick up a stack of rookies in the same draft? Surely they're worth talking about, you can watch Benny's doco in the near future if you want the low down.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Now...didn't we just pick up a stack of rookies in the same draft? Surely they're worth talking about
No. They're not.

bob__71
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
bob__71 wrote:

If you got out plenty, there's a big chance you'd see certain players out and about.

Why Rodger what would I see that would make me think that there were drugs at StKilda. And why would that make me change my opinions about drugs at the club anyway? Or was that just a way of avoiding answering a difficult question?

BTW not everyone lives in Melbourne.

sainteronline

degruch wrote:I wish someone would lock this bulls*** thread too.

BC plays for Richmond.
(Unfortunately,imho)

Now...didn't we just pick up a stack of rookies in the same draft? Surely they're worth talking about, you can watch Benny's doco in the near future if you want the low down.
if you don't like the thread then why read it?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

sainteronline wrote:
degruch wrote:I wish someone would lock this bulls*** thread too.

BC plays for Richmond.
(Unfortunately,imho)

if you don't like the thread then why read it?
Why post one it? Why bother barracking for St Kilda if we're so one dimensional. Honest guys, get a spine.

sainteronline

bob__71 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
bob__71 wrote:

Why Rodger what would I see that would make me think that there were drugs at StKilda. And why would that make me change my opinions about drugs at the club anyway? Or was that just a way of avoiding answering a difficult question?

BTW not everyone lives in Melbourne.
how do you know there not

there's at least three people running around on football ovals in the AFL

who are on two strikes

how do you know they're not playing for St Kilda