2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

I know a lot of people don't rate our list, but one player I have never seen mentioned is Lewis Pierce. I can't see him getting in front of our guys considering what we've invested to get them but I reckon he will be a top ruckman when he matures a little. Could he be the missing link in a trade with say, GWS?

On another note, I hope we don't use pick one because of the lottery of this years picks - its Watts all over again. If we do finish last, I hope like hell we dangle the carrot of pick one and a massive salary to one of the big forwards at GWS. Come home General, come home son! Having said that, we've recruited the Gold Coast boy from the Suns, we got the Canberra boy from the Giants, so maybe we are in the box seat for Cameron with this logic!

As for Shiel, considering he wants to go to a big club playing finals, I think we are going to see a Caddy/Adams situation where we just aren't in the running due to our position - why is one of their big three forwards any different, I suppose because they know you can build a side around one of them - which is perfectly set up for us - those three would run rings around Wright and McCartin unless we see major improvement.

It's just a dream but I rate the top end talent of recent drafts much higher than this one (I'm sure the recruiting staff have a better idea than us though), another thought re Shiel is does anyone know if he is still with Chocos daughter? If so, could be awkward considering our offseason dealings with the man...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
lewdogs
Club Player

This Mitch Clark talk is very interesting...

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Pick 1 for Jeremy Cameron :D get it done !

Milne
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:Pick 1 for Jeremy Cameron :D get it done !
I reckon it would be worth it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Pick 1 for Jeremy Cameron :D get it done !
I reckon it would be worth it.

I reckon he is more hope of taking uop soccer than us getting him.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Always loyal
stinger
Saintsational Legend

2014 UNDER-18 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Harrison Wigg (South Australia), Ed Vickers-Willis (VicMetro), Josh McGuinness (Tasmania)

HB: Darcy Tucker (VicCountry), Caleb Marchbank (VicCountry), Angus Brayshaw (VicMetro)

C: Paul Ahern (VicMetro), Christian Petracca (VicMetro), Billy Stretch (South Australia)

HF: Callum Mills (NSW/ACT), Darcy Moore (VicMetro), Rhys Mathieson (Vic Country)

FF: Jayden Laverde (VicMetro), Patrick McCartin (VicCountry), Caleb Daniel (South Australia)

Foll: Peter Wright (VicMetro), Isaac Heeney (NSW/ACT), Jake Johansen (South Australia)

Int: Jack Steele (NSW/ACT), Darcy Parish (VicCountry), Ben Keays (Queensland), Connor Blakely (Western Australia)

Coach: Jason Saddington (NSW/ACT)

Assistant Coach: Brenton Phillips (South Australia)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Petrucca please - fast, strong, in/outside mid, kicks long goals, aggressive. :twisted: (And Pluggs would love him.)

McCartin? Wasn't an assessment of him posted on here recently querying his performance against 'quicker and more agile opponents'? If that assessment is even partially accurate... time to bring out the big black texta IMHO.

Haven't a few Saintsationalists posted that next year's batch is shaping up to include better forwards than this years?

As for getting one of the GWoganS big forwards, when do they come out of contract? If it's the end of 2015 season, we can grab one then with our salary cap space and probable early draft and pre-season draft picks.

As for Ickster's valid points re the difficulty of luring one of the above, well by next year we will be closer to rising up again. With the list that we are building I reckon we should be able to sell our club to a potential young gun.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
older saint
SS Life Member

I think we will take McCartin at 1, the opportunity to get key forwards early in the draft does not come around very often. The only clarification on this being if we could trade pick 1 and get a top 5 pick plus another first round pick then would do that as we need to stock pile first round talent regardless of position .

Pity the AFL does not let you trade future picks like the NBA, this would be a way we could have worked our way out of trouble earlier

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:2014 UNDER-18 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Harrison Wigg (South Australia), Ed Vickers-Willis (VicMetro), Josh McGuinness (Tasmania)

HB: Darcy Tucker (VicCountry), Caleb Marchbank (VicCountry), Angus Brayshaw (VicMetro)

C: Paul Ahern (VicMetro), Christian Petracca (VicMetro), Billy Stretch (South Australia)

HF: Callum Mills (NSW/ACT), Darcy Moore (VicMetro), Rhys Mathieson (Vic Country)

FF: Jayden Laverde (VicMetro), Patrick McCartin (VicCountry), Caleb Daniel (South Australia)

Foll: Peter Wright (VicMetro), Isaac Heeney (NSW/ACT), Jake Johansen (South Australia)

Int: Jack Steele (NSW/ACT), Darcy Parish (VicCountry), Ben Keays (Queensland), Connor Blakely (Western Australia)

Coach: Jason Saddington (NSW/ACT)

Assistant Coach: Brenton Phillips (South Australia)
Would like to know who selected that team. South Australia won, and in Victoria, but end up with just four players in that team. Vic Metro got seven, Vic Country five. Bit of a joke and very unfair on those South Australians that missed out.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I noticed some kid called mckenzie just kicked 10 in a TAC Cup game.
Can anyone shed any light on that ?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I noticed some kid called mckenzie just kicked 10 in a TAC Cup game.
Can anyone shed any light on that ?
Big unit. 196 cm / 100 kg

Will probably go in the second round. Our pick 20 is a little too high to pay for him. I think there will be better available at pick 20 however he would be good value if he were available with our third round pick.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Some very very interesting articles on the Age site, the way I read it is we are planting the seed for a priority pick and we have pick one on the table...

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

(Bit more in depth view)

It looks to me like systematic planning from the powers that be from St Kilda. First Finnis saying we will be looking north to recruit and looking to pay overs, now Pelch has come out and basically put pick one on the table, I havent got the quotes but its in the Age - says we will do whatever it takes to get us in the best position possible going forward from a list management perspective.

So maybe we are conditioning the media, other clubs and supporters alike to the idea.

I reckon its an interesting tactic, GWS did it last year and dangled the carrot which no doubt unsettled some teams/players - in the end we tried to get pick one for Boyd and I think it was Bains who said GWS were never really interested.

I reckon we are trying to use the media to get to one of the big names in the Giants lineup. By planting these seeds, hopefully something comes of it.

Its still a great position to be in (draft wise), with the 'big three' in the draft all looking pretty in pretty strong form and the 'big five' from GWS (Shiel, Treloar, Cameron, Patton and Boyd) all Vic boys and one of which I reckon could easily be seduced by $s and a good deal for his old club. Best case scenario would be GWS to win a couple more and drop in the draft to pick 5 - I think they'd be very keen to trade into pick one again and would pay overs for it - just a hypothetical so don't take my opinion as gospel though.

This is the first true indication the we are up for the trade imo. If we could somehow weasel Jaksch as steak knives, I'd be all over a deal to trade - PSD threat is one thing, but it would have to be an incredible deal to give up pick one when Paddy, Wright and Petracca particularly could be superstars of the game.

Strength through Loyalty
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I agree St Ick. Pelican also mentions the possibility of a priority pick ...

http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saint ... zuobl.html

Always loyal
suss
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:I agree St Ick. Pelican also mentions the possibility of a priority pick ...

When did we choose to trade Brendan Goddard? I must've missed that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:I agree St Ick. Pelican also mentions the possibility of a priority pick ...

I guess technically we have lost Goddard & Dal santo to free agency... ball to a club that would not come to the trade table, we've only traded out McEvoy.

However I think it's pretty clear we let BJ and dal go pretty easily.

Can't see us getting much sympathy for a PP any time soon, it would be nice though.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think it will be good idea to trade pick 1 for picks 34, 48, 89 and 100008. That way we can guarantee to get a few more players who can't run, kick or mark. It will round out the team perfectly.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:I think it will be good idea to trade pick 1 for picks 34, 48, 89 and 100008. That way we can guarantee to get a few more players who can't run, kick or mark. It will round out the team perfectly.
One day I reckon we might actually be able to have some sort of discussion on SS without the usually, trolling, sarcasm, pissing contests, etc - just one day :)

Strength through Loyalty
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
suss wrote:

I guess technically we have lost Goddard & Dal santo to free agency... ball to a club that would not come to the trade table, we've only traded out McEvoy.

However I think it's pretty clear we let BJ and dal go pretty easily.

Can't see us getting much sympathy for a PP any time soon, it would be nice though.

Dal definitely but Goddard was there at a time where we didn't have cap space. We were at a cross roads with commitments made while we were still a top 4 club. Dawson and Goddard were always unlikely to be able to be paid what they wanted with out losing others. In hindsight if we had traded Fisher or Schnides we would have been better off. But unfortunately you can't predict these things. I actually think the thing that probably made the biggest dent on our playing list were losing guys like Raph, Peake, Polo Gram and several other solid citizen middle tier players. We probably could have remained competitive if we phased in a few new players at a time but we have chosen to jump off the cliff and come back up in an aeroplane.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:

We effectively traded BJ for the compo pick when we chose not to match his asked for salary.

With Dal we went one better by gaining not just the compo pick, but getting North to trade Delaney to us for a late pick that we would otherwise not use.

We are Super-tanking.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

Dal definitely but Goddard was there at a time where we didn't have cap space. .
Pelchen was brought in to restructure us. This was so from the first minute he was with us.

He has never been concerned with the present. Only with building a team that can have have the potential of having our next crack at a Grand Final.

If they wanted to keep BJ, even if they could not have paid him what he wanted in his first year, they could ave done other options like a back ended arrangement and/or extra years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The first page of this forum is swamped with 10 topics re list management. As I suggested in the opening post why not make this a sticky and keep all list management talk in here?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Where's action jaxons at?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Where's action jaxons at?
He's hard at work conducting exit interviews