Swans pushing for walsh hard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megamaguire
Club Player

Hang around awhile Kerry man!

Getting a game under new coach Watters will be more of a likely outcome than ever getting a real go under former coach Rossi. We all know Rossi hated giving extended time to young players.

The time for Walsh to stay @ St. Kilda is now. Nearly 2 decades ago another itishman Dermott McNichol got a gig for awhile under coach Kenny Sheldon. It didn't eventuate into a regular event but Tommy Walsh can go that one step better.

Stay @ St. Kilda Tommy! :lol:

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hang around awhile Kerry man!

Megamaguire wrote:Getting a game under new coach Watters will be more of a likely outcome than ever getting a real go under former coach Rossi. We all know Rossi hated giving extended time to young players.

The time for Walsh to stay @ St. Kilda is now. Nearly 2 decades ago another itishman Dermott McNichol got a gig for awhile under coach Kenny Sheldon. It didn't eventuate into a regular event but Tommy Walsh can go that one step better.

GO SAINTS!
Dermott McNichol did not play under Sheldon. It was Gellie or Jewel and the reason why he didn't play more was becuase he was crap.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 15 Oct 2011 10:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
meher baba wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Well I hope the new bloke tells him he's in the Round 1 team at full forward.
I bloody well hope the new bloke doesn't do anything of the sort!

If that's going to be the sort of methodology he is going to apply to team selection, then I will definitely be the first to start a "sack the coach" thread!!
I feel really pissed off with Tommy, rookies are different from afl players on full lists. they are given opportunity and development time. we have put heaps into him and if he walks he is officially a huge Irish twat. He is still a work in progress and shouldn't hold a team to ransom when he gets an offer.

I hate the swans as well, it is probably the same scenario as Dempster and Schnides leaving after their successful era but we didn't come cherry picking.

I can't help thinking Ross, Roos and Longmire have been conspiring, as Ross despite what he showed rated him a potential 1st round pick if not an international.
You can't expect Tommy to really care about the etiquette for rookies, he may only have 5 years out here, the swans might be offering double what we can pay plus promise him the chance to show what he's got in the big league...

So far he's done everything we've asked of him, but he's here to play AFL and earn some money, not mill around in a suburban league, earning minimum wage. I'd hate for him to go, but I certainly wouldn't blame him for taking a good offer.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saintjake wrote:Sorry, but this is 10 pages long and I'm on my smart phone but has it been mentioned officially anywhere that the swans are after him?
They have taken him for a medical so I assume they didn't just want to look at his dick.
If he took Zac with him then that may well be what happened.Zac has history with dicks.....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Junior
Club Player

McNichol played in 1990, reckon that was under Sheldon. Managed three games in a side that was half decent before returning to Ireland due to not being able to transfer his uni course fro Ireland.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Maybe if we lose Tommy we'll go after Setanta, as insurance for Roo and Kosi.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
DLBIA14

Hypothetically speaking the Saints if they were to trade, wouldn't be wanting players because if it didn't occur to anyone WE CAN'T AFFORD IT. Draft picks would be the only viable option and you can bet your bottom dollar they'd want him for pick 35.

Anyway, way too many people jumping the gun. Pelchen is saying no and Tommy wouldn't risk going to the pre-season draft in fear of being picked up by Melbourne, who apparently were interested as well.

I don't think the deal will happen so people need to pull themselves together before they start burning effigies.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6167495031

St Kilda's head of football, Chris Pelchen, said the Saints wanted to keep Gram, but suggested they might have their price.

"Because Jason is contracted our preference is for him to stay at the club. He certainly hasn't been put on the table ... but we're mindful of the fact that we've got restrictions and constraints," Pelchen said.

"There's certainly been interest shown. We've made it clear to clubs who have made inquiries that he is contracted. If they want to discuss Jason, OK, we'll listen to what they put forward."

Gram, who returns from Bali tomorrow, is believed to have attracted interest from North Melbourne, while Carlton has made preliminary inquiries.

Walsh, who is yet to make his AFL debut since crossing from Ireland in 2009, wants to join the Swans after they promised him greater opportunity.

But the Saints insist they won't let him leave, declaring Walsh a required player who they have tried to re-sign since the middle of the year.

Pelchen also dismissed speculation that Sean Dempster, who finished third in this year's best-and-fairest, had not been offered a new contract.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

so we've been trying to sign Walsh up since mid year and he's resisted?

Uncle Tadghs been busy Id suggest.....

“Yeah….nah””
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Very glad to hear, re. Tommy. Not at all strange that we've been trying to sign him up since mid-year but wouldn't play him in the seniors, though. :?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
savatage
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6167495031

St Kilda's head of football, Chris Pelchen, said the Saints wanted to keep Gram, but suggested they might have their price.

"Because Jason is contracted our preference is for him to stay at the club. He certainly hasn't been put on the table ... but we're mindful of the fact that we've got restrictions and constraints," Pelchen said.

"There's certainly been interest shown. We've made it clear to clubs who have made inquiries that he is contracted. If they want to discuss Jason, OK, we'll listen to what they put forward."

Gram, who returns from Bali tomorrow, is believed to have attracted interest from North Melbourne, while Carlton has made preliminary inquiries.

Walsh, who is yet to make his AFL debut since crossing from Ireland in 2009, wants to join the Swans after they promised him greater opportunity.

But the Saints insist they won't let him leave, declaring Walsh a required player who they have tried to re-sign since the middle of the year.

Pelchen also dismissed speculation that Sean Dempster, who finished third in this year's best-and-fairest, had not been offered a new contract.
What the hell has their headline got to do with their story?? Amateurs...

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I imagine now with Watters as coach that he will tell Tommy that he will be playing next year?

defacto
Club Player

i am hoping that we can trade gram to north.

SAINTS LOSE/NORTH GAIN: gram, 25
SAINTS GAIN/NORTH LOSE: 18, 40

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Gram to North would be fine by me.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

I would love it if we got that deal, if not I'd still probably be happy with pick 40.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
defacto wrote:

I would love it if we got that deal, if not I'd still probably be happy with pick 40.
Pick 40 for Jason Gram :shock:

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
defacto
Club Player

PJ wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
defacto wrote:

the kicker is in the upgrade from 25 to 18. we'd get a great player for that pick.

we also have the players to cover gram and we need to trade him in whilst he still has currency.

PJ
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:
PJ wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
defacto wrote:

the kicker is in the upgrade from 25 to 18. we'd get a great player for that pick.

we also have the players to cover gram and we need to trade him in whilst he still has currency.
No I get what you are saying defacto it was Armooooo's comment that he would be happy with pick 40 that stumped me. Yes definately be happy to gain pick 18.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Very glad to hear, re. Tommy. Not at all strange that we've been trying to sign him up since mid-year but wouldn't play him in the seniors, though. :?
And not surprising he wouldn't sign. Thanks Ross; let's hope it's not too late.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hang around awhile Kerry man!

SaintPav wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:Getting a game under new coach Watters will be more of a likely outcome than ever getting a real go under former coach Rossi. We all know Rossi hated giving extended time to young players.

GO SAINTS!
Dermott McNichol did not play under Sheldon. It was Gellie or Jewel and the reason why he didn't play more was becuase he was crap.
Looks like I was wrong about when he played. Didn't think he played under Sheldon.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
PJ
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Very glad to hear, re. Tommy. Not at all strange that we've been trying to sign him up since mid-year but wouldn't play him in the seniors, though. :?
I understand your frustration in regards to Tommy doc but something about the hysteria surrounding this that grates on me. I don't want Tommy elevated financially for his gain against the betterment of our club and our current situation. Sure he's a KPP and could be really important but we wouldn't want to get to carried away with this.

Hopefully most of this is media frenzy but when you think about it Tommy has no real aleagance to anyone.

Richter
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:so we've been trying to sign Walsh up since mid year and he's resisted?

Uncle Tadghs been busy Id suggest.....
And presumably he and his management figure that he could earn more by waiting until the end of the year.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
I understand your frustration in regards to Tommy doc but something about the hysteria surrounding this that grates on me. I don't want Tommy elevated financially for his gain against the betterment of our club and our current situation. Sure he's a KPP and could be really important but we wouldn't want to get to carried away with this.

Hopefully most of this is media frenzy but when you think about it Tommy has no real aleagance to anyone.
I am in complete agreement. He has been hyped beyond anything he is ever likely to achieve. Setanta is an example of a similar highly rated Irishman from another sport who after years of development is on the chopping block. To pay way over his value would be reckless, he might be the greatest player ever, but he may be Setanta how much is he worth? hope he stays and becomes something but not at any cost.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Reading the conceited Swans supporters posts on BF makes me sick. I can't believe Lyon has put us in this position. Seriously, they are joking we need to sweeten the deal by giving them Ray and Walsh for pick 43. I can't tell you how much these Swine supporters piss me off.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

That trade can go f*** itself in the arse.