Roo : Richardson sacking 18 months in the making

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Josh Battle
Club Player

Re: Roo : Richardson sacking 18 months in the making

Notice how Rooy isn't just looking at the last 12 months or just season 2018

I think Rooy would have formed an opinion on Richo in the latter half of 2017 when the team had an opportunity to play finals and we just missed out. Rooy would have no doubt seen that mistakes were made with both team selection and with Richo's game day coaching.

The pressure was on to perform and try and sneak into the top 8 in and we were found wanting. We definitely missed Joey after he tore his hamstring and Rooy was only just hobbling about, but I'm sure that Rooy saw things in 2017 prior to his retirement that shaped his overall opinion on whether Richo could coach or not.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 12:57pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mis ... p527tj.htm

“They brought in Hind and Young last year for pace and Hind looks OK. I have big doubts on Robbie Young. [Jack] Bytel is a good inside mid – he’s not quick but they have a heap of those types.
“I think one thing you can saw about the Saints and their list is they look like they will be very aggressive with it at the end of the year.”
So they had Marshall and decided to start the season with Pierce. They drafted the outside speed we craved in Hind but waited until mid June to play him. They have an elite kick in B White at Sandy and yet, continue to play McKenzie. Played Weller for 18 months too long. They played Newnes for god only knows how many games too many despite his diabolical form and stats.

It's these stupid/stubborn things - not just pure wins and losses - that lost Richo his job.

Go you red, black & white warriors
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:05pm It's these stupid/stubborn things - not just pure wins and losses - that lost Richo his job.
I reckon its those decisions that us wannabe, no idea, armchair warriors, that kept us scratching our collective heads.
but i truly believe it was those decisions that also affected his win/loss ratio not rewarding form and ignoring poor form.

Seeya
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:05pm
saynta wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 12:57pm https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mis ... p527tj.htm

“They brought in Hind and Young last year for pace and Hind looks OK. I have big doubts on Robbie Young. [Jack] Bytel is a good inside mid – he’s not quick but they have a heap of those types.
“I think one thing you can saw about the Saints and their list is they look like they will be very aggressive with it at the end of the year.”
So they had Marshall and decided to start the season with Pierce. They drafted the outside speed we craved in Hind but waited until mid June to play him. They have an elite kick in B White at Sandy and yet, continue to play McKenzie. Played Weller for 18 months too long. They played Newnes for god only knows how many games too many despite his diabolical form and stats.

It's these stupid/stubborn things - not just pure wins and losses - that lost Richo his job.
Nailed it.
These are the things that Rooey would be dirty about, and a lot of us too.
Add in Geary as 'captain' (laughable- Auskick level skills)

The club stubbornly supported him due to $$.

They brought in Ratts because Ratts n AR had been good together, maybe Ratts could talk sense into him.
'Best support possible'. 'Help him get better'.

And if it didn't work, Ratts could take over.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:33pm
Saintmatt wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:05pm

Nailed it.
These are the things that Rooey would be dirty about, and a lot of us too.
Add in Geary as 'captain' (laughable- Auskick level skills)

The club stubbornly supported him due to $$.

They brought in Ratts because Ratts n AR had been good together, maybe Ratts could talk sense into him.
'Best support possible'. 'Help him get better'.

And if it didn't work, Ratts could take over.
Those are just your opinions or thoughts. Doesn't make them true. Facts please.

Don't agree with on Gears skill levels either. He was top ten in the Saints best and fairest last year and is an excellent captain who has been greatly missed this year.