We're officially a bottom 4 Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're officially a bottom 4 Club

I agree he is not. But I don’t believe it’s just the coach that has to go, I think a third of the list must go also, they have also been a part of the rebuild failure started by Lyle Lanley

And it’s rebuild time again

Use Marshall, King, Billings, Gresham, Clarke, Coffield, Paton, Parker, Wilkie, Battle as starting points
The rest move on over the next couple of years and replace with
Trades
Draft Picks
Free Agents

Remember the blueprint or spreadsheet from 2013
Contending 2018-2020
Sold a lemon by a snake oil salesman. And he had supporters onboard hook line and sinker!

Sold the soul of the club, under the guise of needing too for cap relief and then down traded picks for two for one deals, and people bought this s***!

The trading of McEvoy was actually heralded by supporters, seriously!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I agree he is not. But I don’t believe it’s just the coach that has to go, I think a third of the list must go also, they have also been a part of the rebuild failure started by Lyle Lanley

And it’s rebuild time again

Use Marshall, King, Billings, Gresham, Clarke, Coffield, Paton, Parker, Wilkie, Battle as starting points
The rest move on over the next couple of years and replace with
Trades
Draft Picks
Free Agents

Remember the blueprint or spreadsheet from 2013
Contending 2018-2020
Sold a lemon by a snake oil salesman. And he had supporters onboard hook line and sinker!

Sold the soul of the club, under the guise of needing too for cap relief and then down traded picks for two for one deals, and people bought this s***!

The trading of McEvoy was actually heralded by supporters, seriously!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 10:25pm What’s the guarantee the next coach is the one?

There was optimism about Scott Watters, there was optimism about AR, there was hysteria around blight, around Watson

funnily enough, the only two I remember where there was reservations about were Grant Thomas and Ross Lyon when they took over
Have a look at the scoreline in the WA derby. Ross is having a shocker

Tossco walked into plum roles with 2 clubs who were in their premiership window and he failed on both occasions.

He was handed a list in 2007 that had played off in consecutive prelims and we had a core group of young stars and All Australians that were maturing to play the best footy in their careers and he stuffed it. You can have the best list on the planet but you still need a coach who can land you the silverware

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 1:16pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 10:15am

The circuit breaker should be Geelong at Geelong next week.

The circuit breaker will not come till we cannot mathematically make the finals. At that time Richo's payout will become manageable as his trigger clause will no longer be possible.. The Club can then announce that Richo will not be coaching next year and hopefully a gentelemen's agreement will then occur that he will stand aside.

We are currently only 4 points and % outside of the 8 and with 8 and so the trigger clause is still possible.
We're 8 points plus 20% out of the 8. But I take your point. Three sides who I believe based on exposed form will beat us by 100+ points all lost today, so none of them are world beaters. I suggest that the club management factor that fact in when we do get these hidings and that coaches, players and director of coaching are made suitably accountable for it.
It may seem ridiculous to deal in clairvoyancy with results, but I believe based on results under the current regime that we are a deadset monty to go down badly in the rest of the matches we play interstate and in regional Geelong this season. It's how we've rolled since 2014 and absolutely nothing has changed in all that time.
I do not want the club to use injuries as an excuse either. If you are out there you are meant to be good enough.
The 'Dogs proved that tonight.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Scallop
Geelong had a pretty fair list at that time also, 7 All Australians in 2007 alone, Brownlow Medallist’s, Norm Smith medallist’s
A detestable but champion Full Back.

StK and Geelong were neck a neck in 2009

I think Geelongs experience in the two previous GFs, the fact they had won one and lost one, so they had a mix of experience and motivation.

I think Lyon was tactically a better coach, the style we were playing with frontal pressure was revolutionary... but I think G Ablett tipped the scales to them as to who had the better team.

2010 we nearly stole a premiership off a better team

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

There are only 3 teams with percentages lower than ours.

Regardless of today’s result, we are most definitely bottom 4

#1 Ryder fan
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How can you argue that Lyon was a tactically better coach than BT in 09?!

No way, no how..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Nice of Rossy to take the pressure off AR for this week. The master tactician orchestrated 2 goals yesterday. Brilliant. He and AR make Teflon look like rice paper.

What's the difference between Ross and M. Finnis* - Ross announced at the presser that he is not there to defend the indefensible. He could just as easily have used the Finnis playbook and said there is still a mathematical chance of making the 8; we still have to play three home games and the Saints away. But he acknowledged reality.

* from his LinkedIn profile: Matt Finnis is a senior executive with expertise in leading high performance teams toward achieving exceptional results. Since being appointed Chief Executive Officer of the St Kilda Football Club, Matt has been instrumental in instilling a strong sense of community values and sporting performance while setting the commercial agenda and strategy for the club.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Players delivered BT a premiership in 09. And the goal umpire. He did nothing tactically in his time as coach. Just a freak playing group.

StK were all over them in the first half, but missed opportunities. Should have been 4 goals up.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 1:22pm Players delivered BT a premiership in 09. And the goal umpire. He did nothing tactically in his time as coach. Just a freak playing group.

StK were all over them in the first half, but missed opportunities. Should have been 4 goals up.
How many games have you seen in your lifetime in VFL/AFL where the siren blows at half time and the team ahead is announced as the winner?

Ross Lyon said in his press conference after that match that bad kicking cost us. In other words it was the players fault. Sorry B.M but you gobbled up his bs. Anyhow...we agree to disagree

suss
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 2:41pm
B.M wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 1:22pm Players delivered BT a premiership in 09. And the goal umpire. He did nothing tactically in his time as coach. Just a freak playing group.

How many games have you seen in your lifetime in VFL/AFL where the siren blows at half time and the team ahead is announced as the winner?

Ross Lyon said in his press conference after that match that bad kicking cost us. In other words it was the players fault. Sorry B.M but you gobbled up his bs. Anyhow...we agree to disagree
I’m with BM.

Ross the Boss was and remains an elite coach. He’s currently paid $1million per season at Freo for a reason and he’d get that and more at some other clubs if he was to ask for it. He’s in a different league to Richo.

I still despise Ross for leaving us like he did though.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 2:23pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 06 Jul 2019 11:42am Yes, we're bottom four, bur we're two quality midfielders away from being top 8. If we could snare Coniglio and pick up another high quality mid in the draft, our team would perform much better than it does at the moment. Okay, we were 15th this time last year, but we've played much better football while having one of the worst injury lists in the comp.
I think we've had the worst injury list in the comp this season and it doesn't look like abating.

I wish this was true....it could explain things a bit....according to AFL stats we are ranked 12th for Injury Cost to Scoreboard, which stings.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 4:00pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 2:41pm

I’m with BM.

Ross the Boss was and remains an elite coach. He’s currently paid $1million per season at Freo for a reason and he’d get that and more at some other clubs if he was to ask for it. He’s in a different league to Richo.

I still despise Ross for leaving us like he did though.
Since when was I arguing the merits of Richo as coach vs Toss? Either in the posts above or any else on any other threads? I think a few people have trouble comprehending what is written or maybe it's me and the way I write. Sorry, I apologise for the confusion

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moved Bartel onto Lenny in the second quarter.

It was the pivotal match-winning move.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

More like bottom 2.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.