We could conceivably lose three of our next five matches by over 100 points

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: We could conceivably lose three of our next five matches by over 100 points

Josh Battle wrote: Sun 28 Jul 2019 11:54am I think Neil Craig got the sack or quit after we thrashed them back in Lyin's last year - 2011
yep - because we beat them by over 100 points ironically

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The only joy I can take from tonight is that this totally crap thread turned out to be totally crap.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Considering our huge injury list and the fact that we managed to lose even more players to gastro during the week who needed replacing, playing Adelaide at full strength on their home deck and losing by less than 4 goals was a great effort.
I would add our efforts against Geelong, at Geelong, as excellent as well especially considering we have no midfield at the moment and our backline has been decimated.
I predicted at the beginning of the year that we would win nine games this year - and that was before the second practice match where in the aftermath we lost Roberton, McCartin for the year, and we heard that Steven would be out for a while.
Since then Austin has never played this season, no Geary really, Webster and Lonie missed most of the season, and Hannebury and Carlisle have barely played. We don't have a back up ruckman as both our rucks have played 2 games in total and to make matters worse King never even got to debut and nor did Bytel. Have a look at what King's brother has been able to do at the Suns or Rozee at Port to see how they can rejuvenate a list.
When you consider that we are a confirmed bottom four side, the effort it has taken to win eight matches plus our two pre-season matches has actually been first class, in my opinion.
I still believe the final round of the season will see the Swans get over us by a huge margin in Sydney because they always do, but believe we will win both of our next two matches against Freo at Docklands and Carlton at the MCG even without the lion's share of the aforementioned players.
Apart from necessity with replacing injuries or illness I don't think we should rush Steven or Hannebury back in this season, and I would like to see Rice and White given final opportunities to show their worth.
I also would like Armo to be given a farewell match against Freo next week, especially given Ross the Boss is coaching our opponents. I think Armo has earned that much, at least. And hopefully that can be the spur to get us over the line again.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not looking forward to the last match of the year at all.
Based on what I saw the Swans produce against Melbourne in the second half last night, and what I saw us produce in the third quarter and in the last ten minutes of the match today, next Saturday will definitely be our biggest loss of the year.
A 100 points pantsing is looming, especially if the Swans bring Franklin back for his 300th.
Carlton definitely wanted it more today, and there was a real lack of urgency in our play in the final quarter, the emotional investment was nowhere near Carlton's.
I base my prediction of a likely 100 point loss on our respective form this weekend, the spirit of the Swans in their match, and our recent history of very poor performances against the Swans anywhere.
There are so many players out there for us who look out of condition or who are just out unavailable that I see a huge hiding occurring. I just cannot see where the spark from us could come from.

I am satisfied that we have done very well based on everything considered to win nine matches this year, but I believe we looked spent out there today and our run has ended.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 8:20pm I just cannot see where the spark from us could come from.
You'll be lucky to see anything at their ground. That camera angle is so low an ant would have a better view.

AFL, please ask the SCG or Shytney to move the camera's higher up. After all, it is a ground in the big smoke and not some country venue.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

In the ironically named 'Pride Game' I want us to show collectively a bit of what Acres showed in the first quarter - a bit of ticker.

Why are we gifting games to guys to get to milestones (who have never even played a single match for us) when we should be turning players over to see if they'll actually be worth keeping on the list in 2020?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 3:33pm In the ironically named 'Pride Game' I want us to show collectively a bit of what Acres showed in the first quarter - a bit of ticker.

Why are we gifting games to guys to get to milestones (who have never even played a single match for us) when we should be turning players over to see if they'll actually be worth keeping on the list in 2020?
Perhaps we should be celebrating his first game for the club? It's all in your thinking, isn't it?

Saint supporter since '62
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 3:59pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 3:33pm In the ironically named 'Pride Game' I want us to show collectively a bit of what Acres showed in the first quarter - a bit of ticker.

Perhaps we should be celebrating his first game for the club? It's all in your thinking, isn't it?
Not really Trev, no.
We don't really have the luxury of doing things like this. We need to play youth and players on merit.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Now the game is really starting to turn into a hiding. Didn't take long for the artifice to fall away.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 4:01pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 3:59pm

Not really Trev, no.
We don't really have the luxury of doing things like this. We need to play youth and players on merit.
Seemed to be more "merit" in playing a first'n last gamer than at least half of our team yesterday. He busted his gut, the others broke my heart.

Saint supporter since '62