Well done Roma

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

Re: Well done Roma

skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 12:44am
Shaggy wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 11:24pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 2:54pm And to think he’d pbly have been behind Longer all season if Billy was fit
Since Billy has played 7 games for Sandy this year and only one for Saints when Marshall was injured that is not true.

Not good anting coming from some-one who all season has been calling for Marshall to be played forward and as a pinch ruck rather than as prime ruck where he has thrived with the responsibility.
I never argued that Rowan wasn’t our best... just that I don’t think he’s ready or able to play lone hand. Playing Marshall forward was never about Longer being better but rather the only way we could fit 2 rucks in the team and IMO it filled another structural problem: being a key forward short.

Argue whichever way you want but there have been a number of games this year where the opposition have ground him down and climbed all over him as the games gone on.
Not Rowan’s fault nor a bad reflection on him either however not good for him IMO.

Regarding anting... Pierce got first crack and Longer was injured. And Pierce and Marshall barely got a look in last year when Hickey and Longer were stinking it up all season.

When Marshall got his opportunity he cemented his spot... but don’t for one second think that he got that opportunity in preference to Longer.
No bit of history over the last few years is remotely indicative that if fit, Billy wouldn’t have gotten first crack.

Last year he got selected to play ahead of both even when he was injured. Don’t kid yourself.

I am not wrong on this point
Marshall has been fast tracked.

Last year was only his 2nd year at the club. He played 12 games primarily as a KPF/supporting ruck to Hickey. In the first half of the year I thought his ruck work was very average. In the second half of the year he dramatically improved and his ruck time increased accordingly.

The club then traded out Hickey and told Marshall pre-season he would be spending much more time in the ruck.

First round he played for Sandringham which was understandable given he has not played as prime ruck since 7 April, 2018 when he was smashed against the Crows. He destroyed Williamstown and has cemented his spot as our number one ruck regardless of Longer being available since Round 3.

You – not the club - have been pushing for Marshall to go back to a KPF / supporting ruck role despite Marshall thriving with the prime ruck responsibility.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Thu 13 Jun 2019 12:56pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 12 Jun 2019 12:44am
Shaggy wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 11:24pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 2:54pm And to think he’d pbly have been behind Longer all season if Billy was fit
Since Billy has played 7 games for Sandy this year and only one for Saints when Marshall was injured that is not true.

Not good anting coming from some-one who all season has been calling for Marshall to be played forward and as a pinch ruck rather than as prime ruck where he has thrived with the responsibility.
I never argued that Rowan wasn’t our best... just that I don’t think he’s ready or able to play lone hand. Playing Marshall forward was never about Longer being better but rather the only way we could fit 2 rucks in the team and IMO it filled another structural problem: being a key forward short.

Argue whichever way you want but there have been a number of games this year where the opposition have ground him down and climbed all over him as the games gone on.
Not Rowan’s fault nor a bad reflection on him either however not good for him IMO.

Regarding anting... Pierce got first crack and Longer was injured. And Pierce and Marshall barely got a look in last year when Hickey and Longer were stinking it up all season.

When Marshall got his opportunity he cemented his spot... but don’t for one second think that he got that opportunity in preference to Longer.
No bit of history over the last few years is remotely indicative that if fit, Billy wouldn’t have gotten first crack.

Last year he got selected to play ahead of both even when he was injured. Don’t kid yourself.

I am not wrong on this point
Marshall has been fast tracked.

Last year was only his 2nd year at the club. He played 12 games primarily as a KPF/supporting ruck to Hickey. In the first half of the year I thought his ruck work was very average. In the second half of the year I thought he dramatically improved and his ruck time increased accordingly.

The club then traded out Hickey and told Marshall pre-season he would be spending much more time in the ruck.

First round he played for Sandringham which was understandable given he has not played as prime ruck since 7 April, 2018 when he was smashed against the Crows. He destroyed Williamstown and has cemented his spot as our number one ruck regardless of Longer being available since Round 3.

You – not the club - have been pushing for Marshall to go back to a KPF / supporting ruck role despite Marshall thriving with the prime ruck responsibility.
???

You don’t seem to have addressed any of the points I made or even read them.

What I wanted was for him to get support in the ruck so that he wasn’t running out matches by himself.

Go look at the stats over his last 1/2 dozen games... double teamed... 1/2 the hit outs and stats of the 2 rucks he’s played against and if you watch his games... he clearly tires after half time.

You’re fixated on the point of Longer being in and Marshall playing forward...
That is a take on how to have 2 rucks in the team practically because ppl fixated on losing a runner if we had both Paddy and Longer in the team too.

Given that we’re not going to win anything this season... would be more than happy with Marshall with the primary and Billy giving a chop out from the bench.

On the topic of Longer, u seem to disagree with my assertion that if Longer was fit from the start he would have been first choice... why is unfathomable to me.

Marshall cemented that spot in his first and has kept it and Longer isn’t good enough to take it away from him... or at least certainly hasn’t shown it.
The facts speak for themselves
Longer was preferred last season
Longer was preferred when injured
Pierce and Marshall only got a proper go due to injuries
Richo has always had a more conservative streak with selection especially in the ruck as evidenced by the number of games Pierce played in 5 years

But hey if you want to believe that the coach would have suddenly picked an unproven rookie ahead of Longer against every indicator over several years... well you can believe what you want.

IMO Marshall is our no1 ruck because he got an opportunity and capitalised on it.
Why the idea of Marshall having help in the ruck is so offensive is beyond me. It’s very clear if you watch the game that he would benefit from a chop out and the team would benefit from not getting smashed in the ruck while he was away.

I’d have imagined that Roma, even if played forward, would still do a bit of tucking forward of the centre

HighettMan
Club Player

Roma is a gift from the footy gods. Don't overthink it.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 5:24pm
guitars4 wrote:
saynta wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 3:15pm
guitars4 wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 12:42pm Not sure if it's been posted so I apologize if it already has but Rowan Marshall has apparently signed a 3 year deal with the Saints :D
Why do you call him Roma?
Joffa has answered the question as per post below . A bit of a lame nick name but I really don't care about the name just very happy he has signed on for 3 years
It’s a better nickname than his ruck buddy, old Bi-Lo.
LOL...makes me DuDe...someone hand me a White Russian! :mrgreen: